The CW DC Universe

I would never in my wildest dreams have guessed that in 2012, the CW would produce a show about the Green Arrow that would lay the foundation for an entire CW Multiverse. Arrow season 1 felt like Batman Begins the TV show and managed to pull it off quite well. It definitley took some time to gather traction but by the end of season 1 I was hooked. Little did I know that one season would spawn an entire multiverse with its own unique takes on characters.

I guesss what I'm trying to say, is that I feel the CW DC Multiverse is just as large of achivement as the Marvel Netflix universe. Sure, it doesn't quite have the production values of having Disney backing, but the CW verse managed to have shows centered around characters that haven't even had their own movie yet. Not to mention these shows aren't ashamed of its source material.

Post what you like, dislike, or wish you could change about the universe. Also post your ranking of each respective season/series. I haven't watched all of Supergirl seasons 1 and 2 so I can't include them on the list.

--Season Rankings
1. Flash Season 1
2. Arrow Season 2
3. Constantine
4. Flash Season 2
5. Arrow Season 1
6. Legends of Tomorrow Season 2
7. Arrow Season 5
8. Legends of Tomorrow Season 1
9. Flash Season 3
10. Arrow Season 4
11. Arrow Season 3

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T-Hvq7E6Dbc
youtube.com/watch?v=gw0N0v3imB4
youtube.com/watch?v=hKHpC0N_Wxc
youtube.com/watch?v=ylNuyXfyE2o
youtube.com/watch?v=03HmnBPGPUg
youtube.com/watch?v=wpY-5n4_jxA
youtube.com/watch?v=tvgbuWNSciQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AkJRxGFc_48
youtube.com/watch?v=w_SpdGUGhZY
youtube.com/watch?v=JLPJIfGSFvE
youtube.com/watch?v=_xjzRcmO3vk
youtube.com/watch?v=qtz43sQgbJw
youtube.com/watch?v=VOqKKogH2HY
youtu.be/RsQ8Gs4cDIw?t=206
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Things I liked
Tom Cavanagh's Reverse Flash is probably my favorite comic villain of all time. He managed to encapsulate equal parts genius, pompous, secretive, scary, and most of all petty while still coming across as just one of Barry's many father/mentor types. Below are some of the best scenes that I feel really display why Cavanagh deserves all the praise.

>First Fight with Barry
youtube.com/watch?v=T-Hvq7E6Dbc
>Harrison Reveal
youtube.com/watch?v=gw0N0v3imB4
>Wells kills Cisco
youtube.com/watch?v=hKHpC0N_Wxc
>"I hate you."
youtube.com/watch?v=ylNuyXfyE2o
>Final Confrontation
youtube.com/watch?v=03HmnBPGPUg
>Wells Revisited
youtube.com/watch?v=wpY-5n4_jxA

The CW DC multiverse generally shocked me when it incorporated Supergirl season 2 into the official canon, meaning that not only do we get Supergirl but we also get her cousin Superman. We actually have a connected universe that includes Superman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, The Atom, and many more.

On the topic of Superman, while I admit he was definitely a bit cheesy and maybe too on the nose with his Clark performance, but not once did I ever question that this man before me was Superman. In his first real scene we got a bit of Clark Kent, some inspirational music, a Superman costume change in an alley at super speed, and then proceeding to catch a falling shuttle. He smiled. He cracked jokes. He shook the hands of the soldiers at HQ. In a sense, he was Superman. I know it would be a longshot and would probably never happen, but I would love it if Tyler Hoechlin become a semi-recurring character on Supergirl or had his own short series. I don't care if it's only 8 episodes, I want to see more of this version of Superman.
>First appearance
youtube.com/watch?v=tvgbuWNSciQ
>Shaking Hands
youtube.com/watch?v=AkJRxGFc_48
>Clark and Cat
youtube.com/watch?v=w_SpdGUGhZY
>More heroics
youtube.com/watch?v=JLPJIfGSFvE
>Clark vs. Kara
youtube.com/watch?v=_xjzRcmO3vk

I want them to do a magic based show starring Zatana or something.

That is about the best power ranking I've seen yet. And while I enjoy the CW-verse, a lot of the episodes are really shitty (like I's say well over 60% of screentime is shit) and they hardley utilize their shared universe aspect at all outside of terrible crossovers.

I'm actually really surprised Zatanna didn't show up in the magic season of Arrow. She was in Smallville, and I don't think any movie is currently in active production, so it's kinda weird.

They're all fucking shit, and I hate that fags like you enable them. Have some standards, and ask for better

>its good because of references to comics
>its good because they did the most casual, surface level parts of Superman while giving all of his interesting, and actual superman bits, to Supergirl

you are the WORST kind of fan. Go read some actual comics.

>In his first real scene we got a bit of Clark Kent, some inspirational music, a Superman costume change in an alley at super speed, and then proceeding to catch a falling shuttle. He smiled. He cracked jokes. He shook the hands of the soldiers at HQ. In a sense, he was Superman.

Holy shit dude. If that is what makes "Superman" to you then you really need to read more comics. It sounds like you are teaching a "how to be a casual" 101 class. The vast majority of Superman comics do not include this kind of characterization, and in fact this version of super was basically entirely created, and popularized, in the Donner film.

>inb4 b-but muh Silver Age Superman!

No, Silver Age Superman was not like that. He mostly played ridiculous practical jokes, was dealing with ridiculous practical jokes from other people, was going to extreme lengths to keep secrets, or doing other crazy bullshit.

Literally every thread for the first season of Flash was
>OMG THEY DID THE THING IN THE COMICS
>ZOOM
CWfags are a fucking cancer. If you thought old CW was bad, new capeshit CW has been even worse. Except iZombie, that shit has been great from the start.

Like what? Iron fisted the kung fu live action with the worst choreography of any hollywood martial arts live action in the last decades plus the shitty cgi? Luke cage aka completelly dropping the ball the series? Or maybe Jessica Jones a shitty series the tumblrtards pretend is good for brownie points?

>Arrow Ranking

>The Good
S1, S2, specific episodes of S3, S5

>The Bad
Specific episodes of S3

>The Ugly
S4.

Have you even read a comic with Thawne? Because newsflash; he's basically a OC creation mixed with both Thawne and Hunter Zolomon more or less. So then they get to Zolomon and go "oh shit, we fucked up" and gave us that Candyman sounding asshole with a forced ass Jay twist.
>Instantly starts a companywar to deflect
Oh fuck you, they're trash too. Don't give me a half-assed Batman and call it Green Arrow, don't give me a complete fuckup of a Flash reliant on 6 fucking people in a room telling him how to do everything. These shows are shit, cater to non-comic readers, and idiots give it a pass for a half assed reference here and there

>That is about the best power ranking I've seen yet
I super appreciate that man. I know I don't have the best taste in shows but occasionally I can come somewhat close.

>I'm actually really surprised Zatanna didn't show up in the magic season of Arrow
I'm actually surprised by that too. If they're going to have Constantine be part of the CW universe, I see why no reason Zatanna couldn't be included. In fact, I'd actually be okay if she got her own show. I'd watch it.

I completely understand where you're coming from. Other than Daredevil season 1 which stands out in my eyes for a multitude of reasons, do you have any comic shows that you feel does the new medium justice?

I read tons of comics. My favorite Superman is actually his portrayal in Adventures of Superman 612-623 and immediately followed by the DCAU version. I think the biggest problem with CW Supes is that he was only given like 15 minutes top of screentime so it's hard to get a true feel. I feel like the creators of the show tried their hardest to make him connect to the viewers and while I think they did a decent job, I still completely understand where they are coming from.

My man.

I've read a fair bit of Flash and while I see a lot of new influences to the chacter (Wells), I wouldn't have included Zolomon in there. I actually would have preferred to see Zolomon as he was in the Johns run but he wouldn't work for the new Wally.

>Things I liked
Brandon Routh does a fantastic job as Ray Palmer. I would have preferred him as CW Superman, but they managed to elevate a character that hasn't had a book in years to one of my top 5 in the CW verse. He's so much more than just a CW version of Tony Stark.

Any word on Arrow guy? Was he ever hired? He used to post in Arrow threads and made pic related and really understood where to take Arrow and how to fix a lot of the issues with it. His S5 sounds a lot better than the one we got.

For Constantine, do you all prefer the movie version (Reeves) or the TV version (Ryan). I think it's abundantly clear that Ryan would be a better fit for the CW universe but Reeves managed to bring some weight to the role even though he differs from the real Constantine in a multitude of ways. That said, I feel like Ryan managed to capture Constantine as he really is rather than a simple movie protagonist. John will sacrifice a friend he's cared for for years if it means protecting the world from a demon. He's weighed down by mountains of guilt and while both are damned to hell, the TV version feels a bit more broken up about it than the movie counterpart. Both are interesting, but I prefer Ryan.
youtube.com/watch?v=qtz43sQgbJw

This is actually really really good. So much better than what we got.

Nice blog faggot

Thanks cunt. Glad you liked it

You probably haven't read a single issue of Hellblazer, have you? He's nowhere near the level of asshole or fuckup he should be.

It really was. Only thing missing was based Vigilante.

I really like Supergirl but don't want the rest

Still moreso than the movie version. We're never going to get a Constantine that snorts Santa unless it's going to appear on Starz or HBO or something along those lines.

How are the two seasons as a whole? I've only seen bits and pieces from each and want to know if sitting down and powering through both seasons is worth it.

What are your tentative rankings of the current seasons?

Only the Matt version of Thawne was good, in fact that was a pretty good adaptation from the comics.

I actually really liked Zoom in season 2, but he wasn't anything like his comics counterpart. Ideally he'd just have a different name and be the serial killer Edward Clariss under the mask. It's still worse than the source material, of course, but it at least makes more sense than not only using up Wally's biggest rogue on Barry, but throwing him in the trash for no reason as well.

I think they're pretty strong and emotional
people nitpick all the time but it holds up I like it more than Smallville and Lois & Clark

Oh also, if I were in charge I would have made, you know, an actual fucking Flash show.

S.T.A.R. Labs should be in the background, not the setting of the show. The supporting cast should be Barry's crime lab, who he conceals his identity from.

Harrison Wells should not exist.

Caitlin should only appear after Firestorm.

Vibe should not be a major character.

Iris should not be black and the sibling/adoption angle should have been dropped entirely.

Iris should have been a new romance for Barry, with Wally staying with her in season 2 after she and Barry are together.

Pic related should have played Barry Allen, and 'Eddie Thawne' should not exist.

JLD?

This is so shit

You all motherfuckers whine endlessly and then suggest how to "fix" an adaptation but have no idea what makes an adaptation work, or what makes a TV show work for that matter.

> having no star labs family
> No Harrison Wells
so no mystery for the normalfags, no winks to the capefags watching for season 1?
> Iris as "new" love interest
and thus no Black Dad.
> waa Grant Gustin doesn't look like Flash in the comic books
always the most retarded complaint from idiots, as if that has any bearing on the quality of the show

We have a show about Black Canary, Firestorm, Atom, Steel, Vixen, and an entire revolving door of DC characters guest staring as they travel through time and space having dorky adventures and you fucks think these shows aren't "comic book enough".

tl,dr; I'm triggered

Not him but
>No Star Labs Family
Good. Its fucking trash, and keeps Barry a retard. Fuck both Caitlin and Cisco, Barry was smart enough to do this shit on his own
>No Wells
Another good thing, saves us from a stupid ass twist and constant excuses to rehash the actor.

Fuck normalfags, and fuck the junkfood "winks" that you think make up for good storytelling

Idk If I agree with that power ranking, some major nostalgia goggle influence in there. Try:

A S2 > F S1 > LoT S2 > A S1 = A S5 > F S2 = LoT S1 > F S3 > A S3 >> A S4

Also liking CWshit does not inherently mean you don't like comics or other capeshit media. If anything else, bearing sit through the shit that is soap writing just for 5-10 minutes of cape scenes a week proves commit to the genre. I find it incredible that people who don't watch these shows find these threads and go out of their way to point out that they don't watch these shows. Like it's going to make them go away or something.

Cucks and a half.

>no mystery
Keep Thawne in the show, and keep the "muh mom" plot even though it's retarded.

>no black dad
>no star labs family
>no wells
Just use the crime lab and get your drama from there.

Also FUCK YOU if you defend characters looking objectively wrong. They aren't lacking for resources and are making a show about a SUPERHERO. It shouldn't take three seasons for the costume to fucking turn red. Also Gustin looks about 10 years younger than Barry should be.

Since this seems like the most appropriate thread, how does everyone feel about the new show Black Lightning? I was prepared for CW Luke Cage and while there are certainly aspects of that, it is so much more. Also Black Lightning is a straight up monster.
youtube.com/watch?v=VOqKKogH2HY
>Black Lightning straight up used a henchman as a human shield at the 1:37 marker. I wonder how Oliver would feel about that. He'd probably bitch because he is a bitch.

I really like this rating. Have you never watched the Supergirl series or in your opinion is it just not worth including?

There was talk of a Dr.Thirteen series produced by Elisabeth Banks a few months ago

His security footage/starter costume was better than his current one

I hate the powersuit, but him coming out of retirement fixes pretty much all the problems I have with the show.

Their actual costume is pretty much always better than what we get.

So if you HAVE their comic costume, why would you not use it?

hood oliver or green arrow oliver?
>Gustin looks about 10 years younger than Barry should be

thawne did speed up the timeline so he could get back home after all, so that makes sense he should look younger.

I think both CWtrash and Jessica Jones are awful. Now what?

did this piss you off too?

>I haven't watched all of Supergirl seasons 1 and 2
You haven't lost much, that shit is just bad even by CW standards.

Why would I get upset about a fun show FROM THE 60s? Nice try though.

so why have super high standards for one show then "oh but you see it's supposed to be fun" for another?

people who want 100% accuracy should just stay on the source. otherwise it's pointless.

that's what people cried about gotham in the first place ("but we already know what would happen thanks to the comics") then get mad when they shake things up and stray from comics canon.

>this entire post
Is it hard to breathe with the CW's cock down your throat

I really like it, it doesn't seem like a CW drama despite having the drama part to it, i guess it's because the MC is an older dude
Also i liked his first costume better because it ended up being really cool, but i don't hate the powersuit
I kinda wanna know if they're ever gonna cross over, i'd like him fighting with the other heroes but i'm too scared that the show would lose its feel and get cheesy like the other CW shows eventually got
I just hope Tobias ends up being half as good a villain as Cottonmouth was in Luke Cage

Because that show was actually good and never took itself anywhere near as seriously as CW trash does?

No one is asking for 100% accuracy, because that's stupid even for comics given how much they change. You're trying to justify a shit show with a forced comparison with a 50 year old show. You can be in the spirit of something, and still do your own thing. CW shows don't do that, its all shit teen drama sprinkled with comic references. Take Oliver Queen for example, practically nothing like his comic counterpart or does any of the things that make Oliver fun. Barry? A fuckup who keeps making the same mistakes, and The Rogues don't matter on his show. Saying BUT ITS FUN! isn't good enough, because you're lowering your expectations and trying to live with whatever shit CW gives you. You're willing to sit through piss poor writing/characterization because you got a comic reference to brag about to your friends

>hood olive
Hood Oliver only because I find the idea of Green Arrow Oliver insane. Anyone with half a brain cell would reocognize the fact that old hood is the same as new hood. Then again, I as an audience member have privelaged info so I guess I can understand.

Like Arrow season 3 bad or just bad in general?

>Also i liked his first costume better because it ended up being really cool, but i don't hate the powersuit
I just need to see a close up of his first costume and then I'd probably be inclined to agree with you. My prior exposure to Black Lightning was his minor appearance in the film, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.
>In spite of his seldom apperances, Two Earths' Black Lightning managed to shut down someone with powers on the same tier as Captain Marvel. Admittedly, he had to shut down the Watchtower to do so but the fact remains. He channeled basically all the powers of the Watchtower to fry a baddy. Dude is a straight up beast
youtu.be/RsQ8Gs4cDIw?t=206

Mostly the latter, sometimes the former.
I also can't get over how shit its villains are.

There's still a Zolomon on Earth 1. Season 2 Zoom was basically Crime Syndicate Johnny Quick with a slightly less stupid name.

I wish I had an answer. I just recently started a second job so I've had minimal time to watch the newer seasons. But from what I've seen, so far I'm enjoying Flash S04 more than S03 and Arrow S06 as much as S05. Haven't watched nearly enough of Legends of Tomorrow S03 or Supergirl S03 to really have a good handle on either series

>Things I Don't Like
Let me preface this comment by saying, I enjoy Grant Gustn as Barry Allen. That said, he has been written as an egotistical asshole that doesn't give a flying fuck how his decisions affect other's lives as long as he gets his. I hope that the writers can just move past this stage and just portray a Barry that isn't a time traveling fuckup

Is that still getting made? Or is it stuck in hell?

I really bought into the CW hype during the Flash season 1. Season 2 was a let down and season 3 was garbage. I did watch the Crisis crossover this year and no other episodes of any of the shows. I know it is the CW, but there's plenty of other ways to have conflict that isn't relationship related. Or maybe these shows should only be a half hour long and cut down on the filler.

>If you could bring any DC title into a twelve episode season what would it be?
Seeing Ralph just made me realize how much I would have preferred Plas instead

I was hoping E1 Hunter would befriend Wally, who would let it slip that his doppelganger was Zoom. This would weigh on Hunter and he'd become obsessed with his 'other' life, driving Ashley away. Then he begs Wally to go back and keep himself from telling him. When Wally refuses, Hunter goes looking in the time vault for some of Thawne's future tech, hoping there's something there that can change the past. He tries to use the tachyon-equipped Reverse Flash costume, but the device explodes, bathing him in temporal energy and giving him his 'speed' powers. After this he goes full TRAGEDY on Wally, calling himself Zoom in a grim sort of irony.

>good Arrowverse
Constantine
>bad Arrowverse
Everything else

Any other pics like this?

pretty much this. In a time were Sup Forums is producing some of the best shows ever why would you subject yourself to these shitty shows?

Flash season 1, Arrow season 2 and Legends season 2 were god-tier, far better than the current DCEU cinema trash we're getting. I especially liked the way they recycled the villains in LoT.

Thankfully you're not a writer.

Barry was canonically 22 when he became the Flash, bro.

>Not to mention these shows aren't ashamed of its source material.
Have you even fucking seen the costumes for most of the characters? Not ashamed my ass

But late 90s and early 00s are over.
All television these days in unwatchable garbage.

It's not part of the CWverse but I really want more info on Titans. The costumes are already 10x better than most of the CWverse. The person who is doing them also did the Iron Man 1 costume and Black Lightnings costumes

what is season 3

Just going for the stand out seasons of the big 3 here.

1. Arrow 1
2. Flash 1
3. Arrow 2
4. Legends 1
5. Flash 2
6. Arrow 5
7. Legends 2
8. Flash 3

In terms of DC vs Marvel TV universes there really is no comparison. Past DD season 1 most of the MU is garbage. The best bit about JJ was Tennant and the way he was dealt with was terrible. Luke Cage 1 was alright. DD 2 was a shitshow of a plot with Punisher being the only redeeming quality of the season. I cannot comprehend how anyone thought DD 2 was good. So poorly paced with bad writing and a laughable plot. Punisher 1 was OK. IF was OK at best.

Tennant was easily the worst. If I never see him in anything again after that shitshow, it will be too soon.

The costumes are the way they are because of budget restrictions.

Fuck off they are. There was nothing stopping them making Digger look like fucking Digger. Or putting some damn colour on Rainbow Raider