>About to deliver the killing blow
"But MC, If you kill him, then you'll be just as bad as him."

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AchillesInHisTent
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Flanderization is a cancer.

>two characters with nearly identical powersets
>they're not a couple

>character is so obviously powerful he either gets written off the team or barely ever fights

>Characters are teased to be together for the entire run
>Nothing happens cause its a kids show
If you can't show kissing or a basic relationship then don't write romantic undertones then.

>First movie of hero
>enemy is just expy

>One of the good guys and one of the bad guys share a certain trait, like both being women or the same minority race or something
>They're the ones who kill each other
It's so contrived.

>The side character is better than the main character.

>Gotta catch em alll

arm in arm well win the fight its always been our dream!

You teach me, I teach you
In this world we must defeeend
you teach me and illl teac
POKEMON!

This one.
Nothing else comes close.

>bad guy is good guy but with palette swap

also

>"We're not so different, you and I..."

I'm only okay with this if their powers/abilities/skills interact in a way that makes sense. Otherwise yeah, I'm totally with you.

>Asspull victory
Every fucking time it gets me.

>Main antagonist is hyped up as the most serious threat ever seen and is built up every time
>Loses in one episode

>series drags on
>nothing happens
>but lots of the creators political opinions are shared

Achilles in his tent

>Character boasts about powers/feats/etc all the time
>when it comes to it, turns out he's a total wimp that can't pull it's own weight
Mr.Satan is the only time i seen it done right.

Justice League could be the absolute worst example.
First movie of a team, but that makes it even worse.

>Bad guy tries to corrupt good guy/invites him to the dark side
>There even being a Dark Side to begin with as if the concepts of good and evil were black and white, clear cut entities

>the author possesses a major character so he can soapbox about a political stance he does or doesn't like, even going against that character's grain in the process
>in issue 57
>the comic was entirely apolitical until then

Let me guess, Fables?

>comic relief character isn't actually funny

>All the "comic relief" does is act retarded and say a catchphrase instead of bringing some actual, y'know, FUCKING COMEDY

Underrated

>A shapeshifter kidnaps character and pretends to be them
>They act nothing like the character in question
>No one notices

I wasn't thinking of anything in particular, but yeah, Fables would work.

>Joker makes jokes
>none of them are even remotely funny
>the author is legitimately trying to be funny

Love triangles. I've literally never seen a good one.

Relationship drama in general is total garbage 99% of the time.

I've literally only ever seen one good one.

>That one asshole who tries to be ghetto as fuck...
>Makes you want to kick Matt in the nutsack.

The former happens way too often.
A man can't graphically punch a woman and be the hero at the same time, it would trigger too many people.

Oops, wrong one.

>villain is supposed to be a horror yet is a complete joke

antagonistic rich female gets one episode that explains her bitchiness is all her parents fault

immediately becomes redeemed/best girl for the MC.

Your average episode of Garo: Vanishing Line

>Comic relief gains power for no reason.
>Comic relief doesn't have an important role and just shifts job to job in the series.

Goddamn Snoke in a nutshell.

>Main antagonist is hyped up as the most serious threat ever seen and is built up every time
>killed by his own low-level henchman and bleeds out to death shilling for a shitty love interest

I want to say that only happened once, but now that I think about it, it's happened way more often than I thought (even in anime)

>killed by his own low-level henchman
Saruman's death was the only time this was ever done right.

>joke character turns out to be one of the strongest characters

This is a thread for bad tropes user.

>The garbage character is a sleeper powerhouse
>Egomania villains
>The villain rules his realm absolutely. There is zero dissent and the population is at once prosperous, proud, evil and terrified of him and his army
>"You can't just [solve the problem] that's not the right way!"
Avatar was fantastic but it really had some issues once you stopped looking at Zuko and Iroh as the main fire nation presence

>Characters are ninjas/knights/warriors
>Every fight scene is them parrying attacks and never cutting/stabbing niggas

That trope is shitty honestly.

I fucking hate this.

>Budokai Tenkaichi 3
>Arale

>Character is an opera singer
>Screams sound exactly like they're singing opera

>character is about to say something very important to another character
>they get interrupted by something before they can say it

Iron Man
>Iron Monger
Thor
>Loki
>Dark Elf dude
>Hela is a god too
Captain America
>Red Skull is an experiment
>Winter Soldier is the same fucking serum
Hulk
>Abomination
Black Panther
>Killmonger is literally Black Panther too

Only homecoming tried something else and it worked.

>Character pretty clearly dies
>gets well written death scene
>turns out to be fine with no explanation

FUCK that shit. Also, adding onto that...

>Has like five minutes of screentime

>loses in one minute

Statement restated.

Does this look like a joke to you?

>character tries to do something cool
>he fails and looks stupid
>this joke is repeated constantly

Why?

What's that?

>characters are obviously shown as just friends
>are shown pining after other people time and time again
>share a kiss near the end of show/movie and become a couple out of fucking nowhere

>There's no time to explain!

>There's actually plenty of time to explain

>X isn't the place, it's the people
I want to gouge my eyes out everytime I see this speech appear in fiction.

>Character sees something unbelievable
>"Hey, look at this unbelievable thing!"
>It disappears and character looks crazy

Comics that repeat what happened in the last issue for the first two or three fucking pages.
It's fucking annoying.

>i don't have time to explain why i don't have time to explain

>Cartoons that repeat the end of the previous scene after returning from commercials
>Sometimes the second viewing is slightly different
>Sometimes there's an establishing shot beforehand
>It always looks especially stupid when you're watching without commercials

God this is annoying. I can understand if both woman were, like, sowing destruction across the battlefield and fighting multiple people and then just happened to run into each other and attempted to assault one another. But in a team vs. team fight having the strong guy fight the other strong guy or the super quick dude fight the enemy speedster is cheesy. Not in an eye-rolling way but in a "Yeah, saw that coming" kind of manner.

I'd rather see the tactician/leader come up with a plan to abuse the outright weaknesses of the enemy group by sending different heroes to contend with them.

Fist of the North Star had a good one between Kenshiro, Shin, and Yuria, though Yuria didn't love Shin back.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AchillesInHisTent

>the motivation for wanting to ruin the world was because someone lost their lover tragically
>major points if the two wasn't even in a relationship/official yet

Yeah, everyone else has to suffer because of your personal drama. Fuck you, Obito. Your motivation was so weak that I'll gladly accept some nonsense about a chakra god juat to was the taste of your bullshit out of my mind.

Earth One Lex Luthor is treading similar water.

>tropes thread in Sup Forums
>most of them are super specific and only apply to 1 or 2 shows at most.

Fuck Altair.

Happened in a series I got into recently only the antagonist rich female was a mega cunt that legitimately attempted to do some good but in a retarded manner. The MC has sympathy for her but everyone else treats her like the cunt she is and are incredibly slow to forgive her for all of the shit she's pulled. Was refreshing to see because they wind up pulling together as a hero group and they're dysfunctional as fuck in particular because they just can't excuse her shit behavior. They can understand it, they can accept it, but it remains a major roadblock until bigger shit happens that sweeps it under the rug.

That's part of the reason why I hate action movie henchwomen in general. The other part is that to make them less attractive they have to make them as one-dimensional and cartoonishly "step on a kitten for lulz" evil as possible.

what is GTA4?

To be fair, unless you're talking about some other antagonist, that guy is a pathetic junkie who will probably die in a pile of his own shit soon. I thought sparing him was more cruel.

>character is hyped up as a charming, handsome hero/celebrity
>turns out to be a villain/loser/asshole
I'm so fucking sick of the endless "subversions" of great heroes. They did it in Up, they did it in Moana, and they did it in Megamind. It would be ten million times more impressive and creative to see a well-written hero than to see the umpty-billionth attempt at subversion made by some pretentious Hollywood cunt who thinks they're so damn clever because they can point out that Superman is unrealistic.

You just need to mix it up a little.

That reminds me
>character blindly trusting an obviously evil fuck
The real choice in GTA4 is between wanting Roman dead for being an annoying and unfunny comic relief about as useful as Lance Vance and not wanting to be an idiot who would actually agree to make a deal with Rascalov.

Pic related was pretty good.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
This aint no "appears in 1 or 2 shows tops" trope, this shit is in every single bloody thing I watch.

Who is Matt?

>comic relief character doesn't actually fucking do anything

Adding to this, Disney needs to stop with the surprise villain reveals. They're happening in every movie now.
>Coco
>Wreck-it Ralph
>Frozen
>Zootopia (Twice)
>Tangled, I think. Haven't seen it
>Big Hero 6

>Tangled, I think. Haven't seen it

Tangled was pretty straightforward about the villain, as far as I remember. It was just the mother, right?

>anons constantly bringing up tropes for villains that paint them in a good light
>can't understand the difference between a villain and an antagonist

Proved his point. I wish the writers didn’t have them fight in the Stump Day ep, I liked it a lot better when they still stayed as bros

Yeah, Tangled just has the mother as the villain. One of the things I liked about it.

>anons constantly bringing up tropes that amount to "character is more powerful than they seem"

Love hexagon

>It is revealed that the bully comes from a broken home and he takes out his insecurities on those smaller/weaker than he is
>the protagonist learns about this troubled homelife and connects with the bully on an interpersonal level
>sometimes include him in adventures
>subsequent episodes won't reflect on this and bully returns to terrorizing the primary protagonist
>all of the friendship behind self-sacrifice and the like instantly undone
>nothing about them teaming up to stop a bigger threat is ever referenced
>bully doesn't go lighter in abuse toward protagonist or treat the protagonist a little better in order to retain social hierarchy
>protagonist just whales on protagonist whenever the plot needs him to
>protagonist written to never question this bizarre bipolar disorder

I understand that when you make a bully character you're either doing one of two things. You're either going to have the bully develop into their own character and become an ally/stable human being and an addition to the protagonist's team and be his/her ace in the hole for stopping even bigger threats or you're going to keep your bully in a loop because there's no reason for extended characterization to be done in your series and you just need someone to impede progress, intimidate the protagonist and force them to be quick on their feet/come up with a strategy to out maneuver the bully for this episode.

Seeing Nelson be cool with Bart and then turn around and punch him in the fucking gut gets old. And there are sequences where Bart has proven to be able to 1v1 Nelson and win [the shitty MMA episode] so why continue to put up with scare tactics and wedgies and the like?

Gravity Falls?

>Misunderstanding between characters blows out of proportion and leads to a temporary separation
>Whole schism could of been avoided had they just sat down and talked about it for five minutes

I'd say thats more of an issue with episodic shows (almost) never changing the status quo on anything. The simpsons is a prime example.

>hero getting beat down
>like incredibly weary, battle damaged, bruised and thoroughly demoralized by inadequacy as a very 1-sided ass whooping often does to people
>blown up, completely gassed
.>hero thinks about the ramifications of them losing while drifting in and out of consciousness
>suddenly gains a huge power surge and defeats opponent

That's not how that works. I'm not discounting lucky blows or fortune smiling down upon a hero and blessing a gun into their fucking hands or anything but come the fuck on. If you're not going to have the hero sell the offense the antagonist is giving them I'm not going to give a shit about the antagonist

That's the opposite of a problem. Having a character stand up for a set of morals and care about characters is good writing, and having them go all out against someone of a higher power level reinforces that and makes them a more enjoyable character to watch/read. Factor in that most of the time the villain doesn't expect the hero to be that much of a match and you can easily see how he would underestimate and be surprised by a rush of adrenaline. Plus these are often one-off fights that happen early on and the hero will end up collapsing afterwards anyway so it's not like he's been given a damage boost by getting the shit kicked out of him.

Your probably thinking of some exact example of this occurring, and you can name drop it, I'll probably agree with you in it being bullshit. But there's a big difference between deus ex bullshit like Cyborg vs Brother Blood compared to pic related or Mumen Rider (and they're not even examples where the heroes "wins").

I'm sorry, man. I'm just really fed up with Hajime no Ippo. I love everything you're describing but seriously fuck that story.

>muh oxygen

Arale is supposed to be that strong, if we're talking about BT3 characters that were fucking broken despite being weak in canon you gotta go with Yajirobe

Ah righto, that's fine then, anime is notorious for pulling bullshit like that anyway.