What are considered the definitive Marvel TPBs?

What are considered the definitive Marvel TPBs?

There seems to be a consensus that Watchmen, TDKR , Kingdom Come, All Star Superman and Batman Hush are the best DC trades.

What are the the best Marvel trades?

Marvel has some great classic runs but not many great self contained stories

Marvels Bob Ross
Daredevil Man Without Fear by Fronk Mueller and Junior Jr
Punisher Born

Daredevil: Born Again is probably the greatest Marvel TPB.

Infinity Gauntlet, Doom: Triumph & Torment, Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, and The Coming of Galactus to name a few.

God Loves Man Kills
Born Again
Welcome Back Frank

Hush is only definitive at weeding out who has pleb taste.

Marvel has definitive runs -
Lee & Kirby's FF
Claremont's X-Men
Lee and Ditko's Spider-Man
Miller's Daredevil
Simonson's Thor
Greunwald's Captain America
Ennis' Punisher

The best of Marvel is harder to fit into single trades.

Who the hell said Hush is one of DC's best trades? That story is mediocre at best.

Change Hush to Year One.

Marvel is more known for runs than for stories.

It’s intended to be baby’s first Batman story and it succeeded at that very well.

Its part of their "absolute special edition" line and one of their best selling batman trades.

>DC have better limited series and Marvel have the better runs
This is as stupid as that Gods trying to be men meme. DC is known for runs like Sandman, Swamp Thing too. Even Johns' GL is a hit among the kids, no matter how pleb it might be.

"Known for" doesn't necessarily mean better, user.

Future perfect, too.

Marshal Law, The One, and Stray Toasters should be up there.

The runs mentioned in this thread are great, but Spider-Man: Blue and Daredevil:Yellow are pretty great as standalone trades.

Spider-Man Kraven's last hunt is a hidden gem that I never see anyone mention

You mean Long Halloween

Mark Millar's THE ULTIMATES

Daredevil: Born Again
Nextwave: Agents of HATE
Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank
Any Ennis Puinsher MAX TPB
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Gillen's JiM
Omega the Unknown
Gerber's Foolkiller
Gerber's Howard the Duck
Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe
The 'Nam

There's a pretty big power gap between those comics OP. With DKR and Watchmen, literally no other comics compare. Like there are things you can criticize about them, but absolutely nothing else comes close to their level because they're masterpieces of the medium. These are the comics you read over and over, discovering new things each time, with a perpetually unfolding appreciation of them.

All-Star Superman is just really really good, I'd put it at about the same level as Batman RIP or Multiversity, all 3 of which are at the top of the list under DKR and Watchmen.

Hush is generally considered to be less-than-great, and a lot of people don't care for it. It's a pretty divisive comic I'd really never recommend to anyone, simply because there are better things to be reading.

I was thinking about picking up some Marvel tpbs like Marvels, Kraven's Last Hunt and the Silver Surfer/Thanos Quest lead up into Infinity Gauntlet but they out of stock everywhere in the UK.

How often does Marvel reprint these older stories? Classic DC tpbs are always in stock.

All-Star Superman and Kingdom Come are overhyped to hell and back. I wouldn't even put them in the top 10 DC limited runs

>All Star Superman
>Hush
>the best DC trades

oh u make me laff. Superman for All Seasons, and Birthright easily beat ASS as Superman stories, and they aren't even his best.

And you aren't even going to mention CoIE? 52? Any volume of Kirby's 4th world saga? What about Vertigo stuff? Wildstorm? ABC? Really?

Have it, it's not the great.

Speaking of trades, is anyone else grabbing the Annihilation Volumes 1 and 2 that were reprinted? I already pre-ordered them, should arrive in March and April. Better than expecting an omnibus reprint that might never arrive.

Furthermore, I bought my first DC trade last December, but it was Multiversity LMAO, I've never really read any DC. Should I be able to understand it, though? I just like Morrison.

>Batman Hush

Dare Devil Frank Miller
X-men Chris Claremont
Ultimates Mark Millar
Marvels
Origin
Infinity Gauntlet
Punisher Garth Ennis

Phoenix and DoFP are 2 and 3 issues each. Padded out with other issues. They're good, but don't really seem like a TPB proper, just a couple issue arc.

Not that user but YOU make ME laugh. All Seasons is pleasant and Birthright is fine, but they're nowhere near A S S. I think you probably know that and wanna fit in

>It's t-too popular for me t-to like.

Windsor-Smith's Weapon-X
The Death of Captain Marvel

>Batman Hush
I hope this is just a stealth bait thread and not a real opinion.

That's true, but that hardly means that it is on the same foot with Watchmen or Kingdom Come. It's decent, but not must-read material

I can understand KC because it does have some weird story decisions. But All Star Superman is literally 10/10.

They are way better than ASS. ASS is kind of a mess of a story for its 12 issue run, due to it originally being an on-going and then getting stopped at 12 issues. It tries to suddenly shoe horn in this over arching narrative that the first 6 issues didn't really earn. Also the characterization of Lois is all over the place throughout, and in the issue with the Sphinx she seems borderline insane in how terribly she treats Clark--same with Jimmy's gf, she too seems borderline crazy in how she completely refuses to try and understand why Jimmy is dressing up the way he is for his job.

Also the issue with Lex not noticing any the crazy superman stuff happening around him is just awful--completely undermines Lex as a villain and took away any feeling of menace he might have had later when he is supposed to be a big scary villain.

Lastly the Superman 1 Million bit makes almost no sense unless you have read DC One Million, and Morrison's overreliance on specific canon/continuity pulls is one of his overall weaknesses as a writer.

Nice to see that you put 0 thought in your initial retort though outside of "NUH UH, IT IS GOOD!" Why not actually take the time to explain that if its so self-evident.

>Sandman
>worse than Marvel capeshit runs
o im laffin

I remember seeing The 'Nam in my brother's collection. I've always wanted to read it but don't want to wade through a long anti-war screed. Does it take a neutral position?

Hush is just a worse Long Hallowe'en

Kraven's Last Hunt

>Birthright
Are you Mark Waid shilling your own shit? Only excuse for taste this bad.

>it shoehorns in this overarching narrative that the first 6 issues didn't really earn
Bullshit, that narrative was set in place from the start. Everything the first six issues do are all to set up that shit. Lois isn't borderline insane, she's giving Clark shit because he's literally been lying to her face for fucking years. Her characterization is actually pretty fucking stable throughout. Same with Lex. What you're having an issue with is that these characters are behaving in a fashion much more in line with the Silver Age than their modern interpretations. Going back to Lex, I actually think how he refuses to see the forest for the trees is fantastic and wonderfully written, especially when it builds up to him finally getting Superman's powers and realizing how much of a cunt he's been this whole time.
And I read the issue with Superman One Million long before actually reading DC One Million and completely understood it.

I respect that you have an opinion on this and took the time to put your thoughts out there, but I gotta say dude, I think nearly everything you said was flat-out wrong.

Thanos Quest is being reprinted as part of Marvel’s Epic Line in May. It’s included in Silver Surfer #6

Yes, it's one of the best things the Big 2 ever published

Why does kingdom come get all this praise? The only thing good about it is the art.

Marvel is absolute shit at keeping up old stories
if i where to set it up it would be
>Daredevil Man Without Fear
>Earth X (not the spin offs)
>Marvels
>Marvel colors series

ayyyyyy

I think it was a matter of when it was published. In hindsight it's pretty shitty though.

>Kingdom Come
>Hush
>not awful normiecore bullshit

>Lastly the Superman 1 Million bit makes almost no sense unless you have read DC One Million

Or if you can't fucking infer from text.
>time traveling is established in #2 and #6
>"Which of my descendents are YOU?" "Ha."
>Gold Superman #6 hesitates before saying "of YOUR legendary twelve labors"
>Superman is gold at the end of the story

I wonder what could possibly be implied here.

How the fuck is it a hidden gem, it's fucking widely recognized as being absolutely fantastic.
Disregard the other user, he has a shit taste.

Also:
Wolverine- weapon x by bws
Daredevil- man without fear by Miller
Punisher- year one by DNA