Superman Worldbuilding

What are some comics that deal with Superman's secondary cast or Metropolis at large? What's the Gotham Central or Gotham Underground of Metropolis? What skeletons lurk in Steve Lombard's closet?

Technically Kirby's Jimmy Olsen did it.

Byrne did some miniseries around Man of Steel

All of his series have some workplace stuff. Steel had a one shot. Of course, once Kon-El came into the picture he had a very long run of his own (up to 100 issues) and Supergirl has also had multiple volumes, although of course, post crisis, one was multiphasic form shifting protoplasma SG and Angel Supergirl. New 52 had both and now Rebirth has Jon in Supersons and the Superman books. Lana Lang appeared a lot in the Lois Lane self-titled from the Silver Ages and both that book and Jimmy's book had long runs (well over 100 issues).

There really isn't a lot that's like Gotham Central or GU post COIE.

What's the best book for Metropolis geography and a look into some of the locations, like Suicide Slum?

got a name?

Decompression and 'cinematic' storytelling are slowly but surely leading to the death of supporting casts. Most books are way to action focused, simply leaving no time for secondary characters.

During what is known as the "triangle era", Superman had so many books that the comics had room to tell the story of every character.

Bibbo, Jose Delgado, Maggie Sawyer, Lucy Lane, Jerry White, you name it.

So, the triangle era.

when your story is 10 parts with multiple crossovers you're gonna need to blow up a lot of stuff
bring back 8 pagers and we can get some good "personal" stories

I don't think there is any one book. Surprisingly, Black Lightening happens in Metropolis and Year One is all about how his (BL's) neighborhood is Suicide Slums.

I mean, I remember seeing a map that showed New Troy and a few other things, the direction of the prison (which is an island) and some other stuff, but I don't think there's been any ONE map.

Another user might remember?

Didn't know this was a thing, I thought I had all Super related books. How many issues did it run?

>Most books are way to action focused, simply leaving no time for secondary characters.

True this.

>the triangle era.

THIS.

It was a 4 issue mini series.

Apparently Maggie Sawyer also had a mini series about her being on the SCU, but I literally can't find anything about it besides that it existed.

>Maggie Sawyer

That one I think I've seen. It's it when Clark was being punished by Perry and put on the crime beat, or was it when he was depowered during that year all three of them were?

Jose and Jerry are really the only people who haven't shown so far in rebirth. Who else? What was the name of that bookkeeper or was she Perry's assistant? Has Cat really shown since the Blog Clark story-line from New 52?

>Cat
Orlando ruined her in Supergirl because he's a shit writer and wanted to line it up with the show.

Who was that cop that moved from Metropolis to Gotham?

When Superman was still really big, he had multiple books that allowed writers to explore.

Bibbo, Dan Turpin, Maggie Sawyer, Lucy Lane, etc

Pretty sure there was a relatively recent comic about Lucy Lane being the Superwoman of Kandor, pre-Flashpoint

That, my friend, was Maggie Sawyer.

She needs a less generic name.

>Perry's pose
Uh oh........

Too late for that, she's pretty boring and stopped being part of the Superman mythos after a while.

Now Dan "Terrible" Turpin on the other hand...

>Steve's face
uhhhh........

She's been in AC recently iirc

>wanted to line it up with the show.

That was a corporate synergy/editorial mandate. I think Orlando just can't really write something like Supergirl, Midnighter and M&A prove he's not a crappy writer.

>Lucy Lane being the Superwoman of Kandor

Nope. You're think of Cereal Lord's crappy inspiration for otherwise mostly competent writers to churn out New Krypton and that story-line was part of other things, not part of it's own book, it was mostly in Supergirl for that matter.

Mostly because Jurgens is still fixated on when he was doing the Death of Superman AND he doesn't (a) do research and (b) read current books or has been reading DC books all along.

Shit you're right.

What's Lucy even fucking doing these days, anyhow?

Just read silver age Superman comics, Superman's Girl friend Lois Lane and Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen. Superman editorial has been thrash since 1986. They kept rebooting the book after that and characters were more inconsistent than Bendis.

She hasn't shown up, I think once Lois made a reference to her in Rebirth. I don't think she was mentioned in the New 52, albeit Susie showed up in Morrison's Action run, but as the daughter of a cousin or some such, not of Lucy.

Spoken like someone who has no clue of what they're talking about. Superman's supporting cast was never more consistent than in the triangle era.

She was dating Clark at some point of the N52.

Oh right, she wasn't really dating; Lobdell or some other idiot had Lois setting Clark up with Lucy of all people, while Lois was dating that Bachelor Candidate Nobody who hasn't been heard from since Perez used him to show how the New 52 was DIFFERENT. Lucy showed up to Clark while Billionaire Jimmy was crashing with him but they weren't really 'dating.'

Lucy was essentially a plot device.

Well, at least we've got a good chance at a Super Pets mini, if nothing else.

>Mr. Kent, I'm Daily planet