Is simpsons comics worth reading?

is simpsons comics worth reading?

The plots are far more comic-book-ish and from what I remember the main line of comics focuses primarily on Bart with some Lisa stories here and there and a few that focus on the family: Homer is turned into a giant due to an experiment from Burns' science lab (and later Homer is shrunk down Amazing Journey Style to treat his boss's heartburn,) Lisa and Otto spark a brief music sensation (which Bleeding Gums Murphy in a horrific out of character display usurps/steals from her after accusing her of becoming a sell-out) Bart and Sideshow Bob end up on the lamb together, Bart becomes a comic book creator who briefly has his creations stolen from him, saves Krusty's Circus with Homer's help, he teams up with McBain to stop Bob (again) and Kodoss and Kaang (who are real and constantly showing up) while Ned Flanders gets an evil clone of himself running around. Bartman is an actual super hero/vigilante who has to even restore the town after the power plant explodes and turns everyone into super heroes...you get the idea.

The show itself wasn't exactly grounded in reality but the comic was notably far more fantastical. Marge was a non-player (and I was particularly bothered by the "Bart becomes a comicbook writer" story because of how out of character and oblivious she behaved.) and some of the "one shot" supplemental stories were amusing.

Although in hindsight, I kinda wish the contents of the comic was what happened to the show when it jumped the shark instead of becoming shallow and banal and zombified. I would much rather have watched a season 17 devoted to Bartman's origins and/or Homer stumbling through a multi episode Half-life parody at work than having Homer and Marge's origins be retconned or any of the other shit the show actually did.

When I was younger I used to love the Simpsons/Futurama crossovers they did. The one where Fry, Bender and Leela get trapped in a Simpsons comic would've made a better plot than the actual crossover episode they did.

Steamed Sneed

I liked that one story that was told backwards. They started with the "last page" showing the Simpsons car being pulled out of a lake, then each page keeps going back explaining how you got there until we the final page with a flashback with "The beginng" at the end. It can also be read like a Manga in the "correct" order, but the reverse order is more fun.

I literally just read that yesterday, how strange

I've been told that the comics are better than current seasons of the show though that's not saying much.

Irreversible

I never really liked the comics. It always seemed that they were more explicitly aimed at children than the show which explains the THOH-style plots and heavy emphasis on Bart.

>which Bleeding Gums Murphy in a horrific out of character display
He was so out of character that he came back to life?

I have that exact issue. It's very fun, it feels like watching an episode.
The timing and the jokes are hit and miss, but close to the show.

>but close to the show
Not really.

I actually enjoyed it for the first 150 issues before it started to feel stale. The side comics were pretty good too.

When I used to read them when I was little they were pretty good.

They always felt like schlocky Simpsons fanfiction to me.

I don't think you've ever read any Simpsons fanfiction (and maybe best if you didn't). Trust me, fanfiction and the Simpsons comics are _very_ different things.

I have a soft spot for the Radioactive Man comics and their parodies of decades of the supehero genre.

They're okay, nice if you just want more Simpsons content created during the Good Era, even if it isn't the same standard as the TV show. It does often come off like "weird Simpsons fanfiction" of course, and a lot of the jokes are clearly written by people not used to being funny or having a poor grasp of how humor works.

Radioactive Man is god-tier comic parody. I have the hardcover collection.

>that fucking in-universe foreword by Paul Dini where he talks about how he's been an RM fan since childhood, which culminated in his work writing for Radioactive Man: The Animates Series
>it ends abruptly because he was writing while in the audience for the RM Broadway musical, and the actor playing RM fell off his ropes and landed on him bolt-first

>TFW own Radioactive Man and Bartman issue 1

Superhero parodies don't get any better than Radioactive man. It makes fun of everything from CCA and Bob Kane to Diamond.

They have their moments.

i own that issue with the giant homer it was pretty good weird but not bad it feels like a tree house of horror sketch

Why is an 8 year old covering her nonexistent breasts?

The Puritan modesty.

There is/was an animated series?

Not in real life. The whole schtick of the RM comic is that it's the actual in-Simpsons-universe comic, and Dini kept up the gag with his foreword.

>the mob behind the rock
>Flander's family
top kek

Do Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz still pop up on occasions? I recall they continued to appear in the comics long after Phil Hartman died.

Because loli nipples are problematic.

>ARE Simpsons comics worth reading?

Name?

Personally I would say yes, they're much better than the season X onwards.