Under the Sea

What are some good Sup Forums works that take place in an aquatic setting?

And why are aquatic settings so uncommon? Is it "MUH RELATABILITY" autism?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PqLy1tgyphw
youtube.com/watch?v=8V8w8i9XDt8
youtu.be/qip-ECM2YOI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because the ones that exist have a bit of a monopoly of theme.
You want to do an underwater fantasy, you have to compare and contrast to Little Mermaid. Fish story? Finding Nemo. Everyday life underwater? Spongebob. There's only so far executives and producers are going to go if they think they can't market the thing.

Oh, so it's more "This thing exists, thus it is the only thing like it that is allowed to exist." autism. Gotcha.

Am I alone in wishing there was an undersea story that functioned like a space opera? The genre heavily relies on naval metaphors and imagery anyway, so why not set it in an environment that isn't mostly empty by definition?

Besides, the audience would be spared a ton of bullshit technobabble, since you don't have to make up the science behind submarines. Sure, you can fudge it a bit for the sake of storytelling, but still.

I've heard people like Fathom.

cause people would rather just do a space opera.

i get what you're saying though, it's not a bad idea. Something I wish like Aquaman would do

Uhhhhhh
MLP the movie, for a little bit

It's not autism, it's that for most people being underwater is a very specific, niche thing. Having two stories that share too many similarities and people will say you're just ripping a previous one off. It's the same reason Marvel can't make a Bat themed superhero.

Space operas, to me, have always had one serious limitation; space itself. Outer space just doesn't have anything interesting in it. Oceans meanwhile have various sea creatures, multiple types of terrain, some unique physics to play around with... And since space operas only ever seem to use space as a medium of travel, you could just use islands instead of planets.

Plus, again, the technology is much more reasonable. Like, submarines and undersea jetpacks are real things, as well as floatation platforms in place of space stations. There are even aquatic firearms(thanks, Russia!) for personnel combat.

It's probably just me, but space is kinda dull. I get that traditionally, space is considered cooler, but it just seems like anything you could do with space, the ocean could do in a more interesting way.

Also, yeah, why doesn't Atlantis have a submarine fleet? Just because they have magic doesn't mean they can't have some stronger infrastructure.

>There are even aquatic firearms(thanks, Russia!) for personnel combat.
Underwater APS has been a thing for a while. Also not the only gun that fires underwater but works better mostly due to special sealed cartridges. Though, they made an amphibious rifle a bit more recently.

The ADS on the other hand works fairly well in both water and on land and isn't chambered in a proprietary cartridge, surprisingly.

You really should consider watching "The Deep", I think it's close to what you've described

>undersea story
>space opera
Well, Star Wars did it. In animation, too.

>google it
Presumably you mean the TV series, not the 77 movie, yeah? Cause the show sounds straight up like Lost in Space, but underwater.

I'm refering to an Australian CGI show from 2016 or something

Yeah, and that episode was great. I especially liked the scooter things they used to get around.

Ah. "The Deep" is an incredibly generic name.

>diving suit
>has high heels
You fucking what, mate?

>undersea space opera
I'd watch it

Another issue is that folks tend to presume a story will be about humans. Just make the story about fish people or something.

Well, this seems like a fitting thread.
So there was this one cartoon about mermaids or some shit. All I remember is that it had a big bad from outer space and a transforming bulldog-fish-thing.
I've been looking for it for years now, but have not been able to find it.
If anyone can confirm that this was not a fever dream or something I would be much obliged.

The style reminds me of S.U... I have no interest

kino af Subnautica film when?

>having autism
>what is stylization
Go back.

Bionicle had an underwater arc that fans consider to be one of its better ones, though mostly for the story and toys, not for the setting. Most characters just walked around like normal and only a couple had fins for swimming, and cool sea craft were in short supply. The setting was more or less a necessity 'cause the heroes needed to go under and evacuate the local underwater city because it was in the way of a floating island that they needed to sink. It was also an excuse to give the villains a reason for wanting the MacGuffin (they were mutated into fish people and thought it can turn them back). Though the dark environment suited the dreary tone rather well.
The comic was kinda crap due to the truncated length and art style, but the books were fine and the two complementary mini movies were also neat.
youtube.com/watch?v=PqLy1tgyphw
youtube.com/watch?v=8V8w8i9XDt8

Sounds a bit like The New Adventures of Ocean Girl, which I'm surprised I remember.

High heels are retarded to begin with, and extra stupid in an aquatic environment.

>stylization
Fuck off with your weak bog standard limp-wristed excuses for dumb bullshit.

Because the fucking ocean is terrifying. Its hard to work in a kid-friendly story (sorry, murrican bullshit will always supersede rational arguments) into a setting where if you show a realistic depiction of what goes on underwater every day it would be a horror show where every character lives in fear of both the deep and the shallows, because nothing isnt prey to some other critter in the ocean.

>Because the fucking ocean is terrifying.
Howard, pls. Your wife(who is a JEEEEEEEW) is rolling her eyes as you yell at shrimp.

You're right though, sea monsters are a proud tradition, and are another advantage the ocean has over space.

>implying that space-whales and other such giant space based creatures arent awesome
dont you fucking lie to me.

>No fish police

For shame. The intro has a pump eel. A PUMP EEL
youtu.be/qip-ECM2YOI

Someone's mad. Perhaps angry that no one will publish your shit?

Shut up and take my money

Atlantis does have a fleet. It just doesn't show up often.

Namor histories...

Or maybe I just think high heels are fucking stupid. Because they are.

>And why are aquatic settings so uncommon
I'm gonna be really cynical and say people are reluctant to make them since you are so unlikely to get a movie deal owing to how hard it is to have speach underwater.

What the fuck is aquaman gonna do. It can't all be air bubbles.

It's ok guys. Just go down into the ocean. There's nothing waiting for you down here. Sea monsters are just myths. We're not real.

Help! I’m a Fish is a good one.

>Dissing Fabien Mense

OK, neckbeard.

That's why you have different planets. Or you get really weird and have entire different worlds under the waves, like some kind of funky kid's book.

Islands, subterranean areas, canyons, mountains, floating platforms, forests, undersea lakes(yes, that's a thing)... really there's a fuckload of different environments one can use.

>space-whales
Why is that a thing?

>no continued series of the Beatles exploring trippy undersea dimensions

would a subnautica type cartoon ever work?