Are Comics Good or Bad for You?

How does the medium stack up against others in terms of intellectual stimulation? I’m guessing less than books but more so than television and video games

Above vidya but below anime.

Low

This is just a meme, it's entirely what you consume. If you read exclusively JK Rowling and EL James you're not getting stimulated by prose. If you watch exclusively Michael Bay and Roland Emerich you're not getting stimulated by film. If you're playing exclusively Super Smash Bros and Call of Duty you're not getting stimulated by video games.

This.

>are comics good or bad for you?
Both, for various reasons.

Bait

There are probably as many comic books, if you take into account stuff going back to the birth of the industry, as there are TV shows.

There are more books.

Each medium has their equivalent of junk food. Percentage wise, I would say that comic books are lower than tv, due to the fact that historically there were more public interest programs/presentations - for example, more news and documentaries, and that TV would have the higher percentage of non-fiction to stimulate due to the fact that it is centuries older than the rest.

But comics books definitely about video games. And it would be possibly to largely do comic books and little books and/or TV and be reasonably stimulated, so is also on the right path.

>that TV

Sorry - 'that BOOKS'

I think you are confused because that question doesn't make sense. Books are not more intellectually stimulating than films or comic books because a book is just a stack of paper held between two cover pieces, much like comic BOOKS. Television is not a medium, it's a format within the medium of film as television is also filmed with cameras and adheres to the same creative processes.

I'm reading the Elric novels right now and it's so refreshing. The problem with comics is that there's so few of them that are worth reading... Once you're through with Usagi Yojimbo, Hellboy and Dredd there's very little that doesn't suck. Novels offer so much more quality or at least bearable content.

Your cultural elitism is showing Marxist swine

>Once you're through with Usagi Yojimbo, Hellboy and Dredd there's very little that doesn't suck.
I mean, if you're not trying very hard to look, sure. Those are some of the best instances of long running character driven serials, but there's tons of other great books out there.

I wouldn't say tons. It's still practically impossible to read a steady stream of comics without consuming junk, because the good stuff is so rare and you go through it so much faster than it takes to make.

Meanwhile the bibliography of a single good novelist can keep you occupied for a year or more.

It doesn't matter what shit you're reading, watching or listening to. As long as it's intellectually stimulating, then it'll be good for you. There isn't much you're going to get from reading the same biweekly Avengers by Waid and his buddies.

Capeshit is poison

I think the intellectualism comes more from how you engage with the media. Taking it with a critical eye and such. You could thoughtlessly consume Tolstoy and it is not intellectually anything at all.

>If you're playing exclusively Super Smash Bros and Call of Duty you're not getting stimulated by video games.

>he doesn't get stimulated by competition and precise hand eye coordination

What video games are even intellectually stimulating?

If Hellboy, Dredd and Usagi Yojimbo are your highest standards for comics, then you're not even looking for good ones.
Same for Elric.

>>he doesn't get stimulated by competition and precise hand eye coordination
Neither are you with those terrible party games.

You'd get 10 times as stimulated by playing a game of basketball in real life, so the point is completely valid.

I’m starting to like you, Rooney

>Mele
>terrible party game
user...

Thanks. I play both sides of a retard so everyone hates me and loves me in equal measure.
Play something good like Overcooked.

Depends on what's meant by "intellectually stimulating", but I'd argue roguelikes hard. Exceedingly difficult games that aren't based on coordination but on decision-making, which is at the core of all video games

Most annoying part or the best part to some people is the RNG. God damn. Not that I'm saying they're not or anything.

please don't encourage tripfags

The Rock is unironically a great movie

Don't you be dissing best edgelord.

Chess?

Give some examples.
Not even being coy, I want to read good shit.

Portal?
Talos Principle?
Puzzle games in general I guess. Not much, but it's something.

Not the same user, but you should start with the famous ones like Maus, Jimmy Corrigan, Habibi, Boxers and Saints.

Deus Ex was so on point with its social commentary that it accurately predicted the post-9/11 terrorism scare several years before 9/11.

>Habibi
>implying