Why was Bojack so hurt about this? He constantly says he's a bad person

Why was Bojack so hurt about this? He constantly says he's a bad person.

He wants the people he cares about to say that they see good in him
As long as he has the hope that one day he can be a good person, he feels better about not being a good person

Because telling yourself that you're a bad person is different than someone you might respect or like telling you you're a bad person.

He says he does bad things, not that he's necessarily a bad person. Bojack blames other people for his depression. He believes that if his life had been different he would have come out better. Diane's book, for various reasons, exposed him to the possibility that he would always be depressed and miserable and would have always been so regardless of how poorly he was raised and treated.

Because he's mistaken her for a good person.

I've call myself a horrible person and that I should kill myself so many times over the past decade that I'm desensitized to it, it's just background talk in my mind. But if someone else says it it'll hurt because I'm not used to it.

It’s like when you say to yourself “I wanna kill myself” as opposed to someone else saying “you should kill yourself”

But his mom said that all the time.

>it's an autist tries to understand basic human emotions thread

And he, at best, tolerates his mother as a family member, if not blames her for everything that went wrong in his childhood.

He actually likes Diane and desperately wants her to like him back, so her opinion actually matters to him.

It's a "big guy gets hurt by a woman thing", same reason near-god-status Rick tried to suicide because a girl didn't like him, numale writing and I wish there was a different term but there isn't.

That's not at all what it's about, holy fuck.

A lot of logical guys get completely blindsided by emotions like that. One of the things girls have over guys, actually.

He knows he's a bad person, but he hopes other people (and especially Diane) don't notice. This hurts him so much because she confirms that she does.

And yet we here we have over a dozen people with different opinions.

ever had multiple people say bad things about you?

does multiple disassociations count?

Back in the mid 2000s I was in highschool and me and my friend had a connection where it wasn't quirky or retarded to share quotes from certain shows. I said "I've come for your pickle" at lunch, from that spongebob episode, and the 2 girls he was sitting next to said "i feel so sorry for you" and laughed at me.

One of the few times a woman has even talked about me in front of my face. Another time was when a girl in HS told me to shut the fuck up and the entire class heard it and went quiet, damn teacher was out of the room and when she came in she thought the class was being good and said "thanks for being quiet" and one fucking cocksucking trombone player said "you can thank user for finally shutting up" despite the fact I was whispering to a friend while everyone else was up walking and chatting and laughing.

It's no better as an adult either, my friends only hang out with me because of pity and whenever I say something they don't respond, and it's one of those things where if I say a joke no one laughs but if someone else does in the same exact way, they do.

Think you're overthinking things user, people only give a shit if they think you do, have confidence with your weird actions and just watch as people flock to your quirkiness.

I did, I wasn't even paying attention to those two girls, that's why it hurt more when the said they felt bad for my friend, it was a jolt.

Happens online too, I have full confidence in shit I do that others also do but where others say "that's funny" they tell me to fuck off, even if the formula is followed to the T.

He gave up hope in finding love in his mom long ago

Wellllll that's different. You're hetero/no and into girls but those girls aren't your loved ones

the fuck does being straight matter

bcuz womynz are all bitches and cunts, they put you in da friendzone and are mean to you when you try be nice 2 them so they can touch your wee wee.

I don't see why you're doing this to my post.

Just because you're self-loathing doesn't mean you're not sensitive.

It still seems like you care too much, two random girls will naturally be bitchy if they feel like they had enough distance to get away with saying that. I bet if you tried engaging with them and simply went "care to repeat that?" They would have backtracked hard.

People online are the same way, they feel like they have enough anonymity to be assholes without repercussions and let off steam. Been told a few times to go off myself for pathetic reasons but it's more of reflection of their character than it was anything I did. You just need to be funny for yourself and the people you value and I guarantee you'll feel better.

It means something when someone else says it

Bojack only ever says he's a bad person as a safety move, like all people who talk down on themselves. They feel like if they say it first it'll disarm the criticism because no one else will bother repeating it. they say it themselves specifically because they don't want anyone else to say it

That and, to an extent, Bojack operates on sitcom logic. He wants to think that he can bumble through life and make as many bad decisions as he wants, and it'll all be okay so long as he says he's sorry at the end of the day. His belief was already badly shaken when Herb angrily rejected his apology for throwing him to the wolves, and Diane's book shakes it even more by openly inferring that most of Bojack's issues and miseries are entirely self-inflicted, and that he's not as blameless for his issues as he'd like to think.

I think you've got the order of things mixed up; I'm pretty sure the Herb episode in is the second season.

It's S1E8

Herb's in season 1, he dies off-screen in season 2 and the cast of Horsin' Around going to his funeral is the premise of one of the episodes.

This nigga gets it. She looked Mr. PB dead in the eye and said she was still in Cordovia. I know a lot of people get hung up on her blowing up at Mr. PB's impulse gifting but that always pissed me off way more. If his ex-wives are anything to go by PB attracts terrible women which makes me wonder what kind of bitterness and resentment will spew out one of these days.

He can't help it. He's a dog, he's attracted to bitches.

saying your a bad person is easy and cathartic because the polite response is tell them
>oh no not you, you're perfect its everyone else who's wrong.
its like those girls who say
>im so ugly
>no one could ever love me
they might actually believe those things, and hell for them they're probably true. But they dont say it for that, they bitch and whine as a way to fish for self reaferming compliments.
Thats why it mattered so much to bojack, he could whine all day long about what a shity person he is, but when someone else wont play along it hits home.

God that scene was stupid
>put focus on what a female thinks of the main guy
>she doesn't say anything and it's a "i-i can't speak" scene
every damn time

He didn't ask what she thought of him, he said "I need you to tell me I'm a good person". The fact that she remained silent means she doesn't think he's a good person.

Pretty much no one likes hearing people shit on them, depression or no.

When did she break up with you, user?

This. Ironically, since you consider yourself a piece of shit you don't respect your own opinions about yourself.

>you're projecting because you find women in media obnoxious!

It was that bad, huh?

Who hurt you?

Wait isn't what you're doing to female characters, though? Some hurt your feeling in real life, and then you do shit like post in this thread?
I always wonder how do people like you mange to just sit down and watch any show.

Your logic is retarded, I watch shows and expect to like characters, it's not my fault women and guys both can't write female characters not being obnoxious or put into eye rolling circumstances, it's usually more in adult shows though.

It says more about the people saying you're projecting because you don't find fictional women endearing that it does the people not finding them endearing.