Postmodernism: Modernism for people who refuse to learn how to draw

Postmodernism: Modernism for people who refuse to learn how to draw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PFuboxQvdY4
youtube.com/watch?v=HkL4MpGkXSg
youtube.com/watch?v=xNRuuxUSCcY
youtube.com/watch?v=dK5zh8ZTKO0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nah, although it may appear like that, postmodernism as a movement does have some merit, especially if you study it at the academic level. There's actually a lot of overlap between modernism and postmodernism; they share similar ideas. Statements like "postmodernism is lazy" or "insincere" are broad generalisations made by people who lack understanding on the subject and only view it at the surface level.

Thanks for saying this. The postmodernist idea that "nothing REALLY matters and hierarchical thinking is meaningless" has both an ugly side and a truly enlightening side. We are so enslaved by labels and by compartmentalization because they allow us to think less.

Congratulations, you've become this man
youtube.com/watch?v=PFuboxQvdY4

You're retarded if you really think postmodernism is inherently bad and a worse state of things than modernism. No, sorry, you're not retarded but most likely you don't have a clue about what modernism and postmodernism are.

youtube.com/watch?v=HkL4MpGkXSg

I don't care about your fucking art critics, they existed way before postmodernism you fucking retard.

youtube.com/watch?v=xNRuuxUSCcY

Have fun being an ignorant pseud. Good bye.

youtube.com/watch?v=dK5zh8ZTKO0

this is what postmodernists represent. Its nothing but bullshit meant to fuel the pathologic money games of a bunch of rich hipsters looking to evade their taxes and feel good about themselves.

>taking postmodernists seriously
>ever

I guess, but it's your word against theirs. You can have your own opinion on what constitutes as "art", and that may differ from someone else's. That's postmodernism too.

OP BTFO

>falling for semantics made by people who are literally only trying to sell shit to dumb rich hipsters looking to make bubble markets and launder money
>taking the sales pitches of a bunch of socialites from a hundred years ago more seriously than the entire rest of art history

You really think people selling meaningless junk is artistic? Its literally just a den of white collar crime.

Today I will remind them

> It's yet another zeitgeisty webcomic with stick figure-ish blank character placeholders for optimal self-containment, basic recognizability and maximum sharing potential

How did we get to this, Darkest timeline etc.

I really like that comic

I mean, to be totally honest, I don't really know much about post-modernist art. /lit/'s my main board, and I'm a philosophy/literature major (I know don't laugh). But I think you're being pretty dismissive of a movement which has quite a solid foundation in philosophy and art. I don't think "hipsters" and "socialites" can fabricate the ideas explored by multiple generations of thinkers.

But, like I said, what I think and what you think are different, and that's okay. This kind of meta-art skepticism which you demonstrate is a product of the 21st century way of thought, which has been influenced by post-modernism itself. It's circular, in a way, and that's kind of what makes it interesting.

NIGGA REALISM WAS FUCKING DEAD THE SECOND AFTER SOMEONE TOOK A PHOTOGRAPH
AND YOU
IN THE SIDE OF HISTORY WHO WOULD RATHER FUCK A DONKEY INSTEAD OF ADMIT THAT IMPRESSIONISM HAD MERIT
ARE A MORON
A FUCKING MORON
I HOPE YOU DIE

> Duchamp's motherfucking fountain

People still cling to this example when discussing art and iterations of postmodernism. A bunch of jackasses over at my town are doing a standup/performance "really makes you think"-type show right now and they use it in their posters.

LET IT GO ITS A LITERAL FUCKING CENTURY OLD ALREADY

Man, that guy really has it out for Bauhaus yet is surprisingly ignorant of the aims and ideals of Bauhaus.

I mean, we haven't let the ancient greeks go yet, and they're over 2 millenia old. They're still a meme on /lit/

>I don't know much about post-modernist art
>but even though I just heard its literally a long con front for white collar money laundering that art investors just put a face for to evade their taxes without heat, I'm going to tell you why its still worth a shit

Impressionism is fine.
"postmodernism" isn't. You don't have to pick between something archaic, and full blown criminal retard with nothing in between.

Its almost like art has a wide, near infinite net of possibilities. How interesting that postmodernism gets pushed by the forefront, though, hmmm, very interesting how art investors invest in think tanks to propagate postmodern art theory in colleges, how very very interesting that they also stand to profit very much from pushing out other forms of art from academia and even the public consciousness, very very interesting indeed that they've convinced generations of people to drink the kool aid of their literal ponzi scheme that fucks over artists the most.

But nah, lets keep arguing about semantics that have never actually been applicable and have always served as a justification for money laundering.

>Impressionism is fine.
You're a moron, that wasn't my point.
You're a reactionary fag now, you would have been one then.
So fuck off to reddit or anywhere else but here.

One of the cities in my country bought a rusty pipe for 30 thousand euros. Worst of all, I live in Eastern Europe and are in no shortage of rusty pipes and abandoned industrial equipment.
I think this was a waste of money, but they say making people angry was the whole point of it.
So I don't like post-modernism.

Nice backtracking.

Wasn't this just some guy being an asshole?
They opened a gallery for everyone, so experimental artists could exhibit their works and this guy brought in that.
This is like calling offtopic weebs trashing threads on Sup Forums art.

You should hate corrupt governments, retard.
>backtracking
I seriously would punch you in the face right now, you did it; I'm mad.
But, of course, you're just a dumb frogposter. Now everything makes sense.

See, that's the thing, it likely never was about any artistic meaning, that transaction was almost certainly just a way for some politicians and criminals to move some dirty money around. In any other circumstance this would be incredibly difficult to pull off while looking legitimate enough to not garner a tax fraud investigation. But if you make a big enough lie and say something as utterly retarded as "uhhh, this isnt a crime, this is, uhhh... postmodernist art! yes, this is me transacting a suspicious amount of money for something completely useless because I think art is completely liquid in meaning and anything can be art and this is totally not an excuse to cut costs on producing a piece of patsy art that could just be a piece of rock on a stand, nope, this is legitimate academic art that plebeians would never understand..."

Name 3 postmodern artists.
Postmodernism has SOME good stuff, the problem with postmodernism is that there is a low bar for entry, a good artists uses skill in their medium to get their message across in both the art itself and the message, postmodernism hits you over the head with the message and thinks its smart because the delivery is blunt.

Of course you're mad, because you know I'm right and can't come up with any other response but denial.

Its only natural that a cuckold would feel this way.

Trying to create art that's in line with the actual level of technology of a society is absolutely fucking terrible, yes. Better keep on using stone age tools and copying stone age form.

>NIGGA REALISM WAS FUCKING DEAD THE SECOND AFTER SOMEONE TOOK A PHOTOGRAPH

Artist back in the day remarked that photography was a great tool to remove the issue of artist's training and the limits that put on his or her perception.

They basically said that now that we have photography, we have the actual tools to create actual realism in painting.

It was a notable artist who signed it, but he was just being a dick. It was in a gallery, which makes people try and interpret the meaning of whatever is on display, people thought it was a striking and provocative piece of work. The viewers did all the legwork for the artist, the artist didnt mean shit by it, he was mocking people for having low standards and liking shit, and low and behold people were giving the piece deeper meaning because someone called it art. This is the dictionary definition of pretentiousness, pretending you get it, but you dont. Thats what 90% of postmodernism is, a mentally damaged spastic keeping refrigerated piss for months so they can use it to thin their paints and give themselves an enema with the mixture so as to squat onto a canvas and then put it on display in a gallery and have viewers complain about hte smell but the gallery owner needs to make money so they take whatever work they can get to put on display and stay open. There is no meaning behind this dumb shit alot of the time, but people will give it meaning because they are asked to, because its called "art".

What part of Bauhaus is technological? Bauhaus the graphic design art, mind you, not the architectural movement. I thought it was pretty obvious that user was talking about the former since he posted pictures of that.
Wait, wouldn't Bauhaus design be outdated to technology since we have digital now?

>What part of Bauhaus is technological? Bauhaus the graphic design art, mind you, not the architectural movement.

Bauhaus dealt in industrial design, graphic design, typography, architecture and dance. It was basically one of the many Reform-movements of the age, along with the Wiener Werkstätte and the Arts and Craft-movement. But unlike the latter two, the Bauhaus was interested in finding forms fitting for an industrial age and for mass production. A reductionist approach doesn't tell you shit here, other than the fact that Kadinski had real weight with them.

>Wait, wouldn't Bauhaus design be outdated to technology since we have digital now?

Bauhaus is long dead, so it's bound to not have any objects optimized for current CnC-production. Their ideas and products are still with us and still perfectly useful though. They stood the test of time.

Post-modernism is edgy teenage philosophy taken seriously.

>Dude symbolism has no inherent meaning
>Everything is pure interpretation lol

>Defending Post-modernism

Post-Modernism is the only artistic style that was developed around a Philosophical school.

You're literally defending forced art.

I'm really sick of these "Haha Im so quirky and depressed" webcomics

So... you don't understand Realism as an artistic school.

Weak life experiences make weak art.

In terms of literary art they are formidable, not so much in the visual

Thomas Pynchon
Donald Barthelme
Philip Larkin
Jorge Luis Borges
Vladimir Nabokov
Andrew Motion

None of these could be said to be lazy artists or shallow philosophizers.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

ITT: Retarded pseudo intellectuals who get all of their information about philosophy and art from Sup Forums memes and youtube e-celebs.

I do.

Post-Modernism as an artstyle was developed when applying the Post-Modernism Philosophy to judging art.

While popular art has often been shaped by the politics of the time, Post-Modernism is unique in all of it's interpretation bullshit stems from the horrible Post-modern Philsophy.

I'd argue that postmodernism is more applicable in literature than visual arts since literature has more breathing room to be driven by analytical content, and visual arts have more strength in abstraction.

Case in point, you can explore a bunch of deep lore stuff in a novel, but to do so in a visual medium is more limiting and comes at the detriment of the more immediate content. Literature is much more fluid in that sense, but visuals are more in the present.

NIGGA REALISM IS THE SHIT

lol fukin nerds

I'd comfortably say all of postmodernism's great artists are writers.

I was talking about visual, I dont think anyone can say postmodern literature is a problem, since there is even craft in that in that these people at least know how to write well enough even if you disagree or dislike the writing itself, there is a skill to that that these people are applying.

The visual medium has a low bar for entry, writing has and always will be a hard artistic field to break into because noone is going to read something written in ebonics or preschool level sentence structure for any length of time, visual however, is incredibly easy to break into.

It wouldnt be so bad if there was some kind of skill required, or standard for what is considered good, but its just incredibly pretentious, pretending to understand when there is nothing to understand, its just applying meaning to something that would be meaningless if someone didnt label it as art, whereas if it wasnt labelled as such, it would be thrown in the trash, which has actually happened, this stuff has no value to anyone but people who like the smell of their own farts.

>this thread
>Sup Forums in general

Could you please stop? You simply don't get it, it's fine. Maybe if you read a book instead of trying to get someone to explain it in a forum about transhumanist bodyimages you could form a solid case but the thing is you sound like you listened to some youtube video and decided that you didn't need to know more, because knowing more is for retards I suppose.
Whatever.

postmodern ethics =/= postmodern art

>those sassy as fuck but cute black and indian girls

wew

>Not getting the joke

>Everyone still talking about Postmodernism
>When all major galleries, Arcadia, Brant-Roberts, Spoke, Thinkspace, Kiley, Etc., have started to go back into Figurative Paintings.

Postmodernism is dying and was never meant to last. There are now artists who were gigantic in postmodernism who can't sell a single thing and are clingling desperately trying to be relevant again. Performance art is now also dying and unable to find gallery space.

Come on, Sup Forums, are you even interested in Art?

> defaulting to u-not-get-it-lol for the illusion of insight

>He thinks he knows the things I know

Exactly

>He thinks he knows the things I know

*labored breathing* I didn't count on this second anime reaction image. Y-you're good

>thinking modernism didn't pull the same shtick

cant we take this to /lit/

>t. Bootyblasted post-modern art scholar who can’t take being reminded that the topic he wasted his life studying is nothing more than a bunch of bullshit.

>Unironically defending post-modernism

Sup Forums is a closed book.

> The postmodernist idea that "nothing REALLY matters and hierarchical thinking is meaningless" has both an ugly side and a truly enlightening side
Ah yes, because having a borderline nihilist approach to fucking EVERYTHING has created so many happy and functional people.

Hm. Maybe I should become a communist. Surely that will give my life meaning.

>Pynchon
>Against The Day ch.01
>yo momma
Best laugh I had that month.

Halts Maul, Simon!

You should check real sources if you think it's all bad.

You act as though artists weren't whiny capricious cunts since forever.
People have been dicks, morons and parasites since the dawn of time.
This is entirely independent of art schools and philosophies.

>"Sometimes art isn't just a coded language of established cliches you can read up on over at tvtropes"
>"rrrRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE"

Never change, Sup Forums.

>D-don’t think for yourself! You have to listen to these ””””expert’s”””” opinions to have the correct one.
Pathetic

Modern postmodernism IS a set of established cliches, though.

>BAAWWW why do people keep criticizing the effort of my art and not appreciating the nihilistic message I say is behind it. Don’t they know Art isn’t about creation but about feeding my narcissism by pretending my garbage has meaning!

How would you go about keeping up with this kind of stuff?

It feels like you're all angry for entirely different reasons and want to paint a target on one group of people or the other upon wich you can direct your hate.
Instead of making up excuses why don't you just point your finger at someone and shout "i hate THAT guy"?
I mean people will think you're a cunt, but people think you're a cunt either way so what's the difference?

It's more honest than creating a million different terms for what you don't like, bringing postmodernism into the equation when half the people here don't even know what the fuck it is, and so on.
If you don't like a thing, just say you don't like a thing, stop making excuses for yourself.

>When you can’t feasibly defend your shitty ”””””””Art from””””””” and have to resort to massive projection on the motives of all your detractors

>It has to be nothing but edgy nihilism to be postmodern
You kids seemed to enjoy Animal Man just fine.

Modernism: Photographs for people who don't have cameras.

I wish Petersonfags would fuck off. They're shitting up /lit/ as well with their highschool understanding of philosophy they got from watching a few Sargon videos.

t. postmodern neomarxist

Guilty as charged pseud.

Follow galleries, auctions, art houses. Magazines are not good to follow, as they are filled with critics who are trying to push their own values and agenda regardless of the current market trends or even artistic trends. Most of the current lead Art Magazines have critics who are pushing their own clients to try and salvage the fact that their work is no longer selling, so they promote them endlessly despite empty galleries.

Same with schools. I went to the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles to meet with some friends who are professors there, and even they were saying that what they tell their Fine Art Classes is that Post Modernism is easy money, but not to rely on it because it has been on it's way out for the past 5 years and that it is better to attempt to develop artistic skill and marketing than try to do something vulgar to catch people's eye and disappear in a year.

Follow artists, especially ones who have been doing shit all their life. Hell, George Pratt is both a Fine Artist and a Comic Book Illustrator, who has been selling paintings since he was 20.

Just be involved in the art scene.

I think postmodernism is about projecting all the emptiness you have inside you into the world
It definitely doesn't resonate with people who have done such things as work or have families

Man, I never see anybody use actual arguments (instead of feelings) to prove that post modernism outlook in phylosophy is wrong. I just see a bunch of people throwing a fit over the notion that what they like is just meanless and subjective, and as valid as other outlooks.

And I m not even post modernism, I am of the school of thought that we never were modernists to begin with (Bruno Latour school).

One of those lucid moments when you go into a thread that you know a fair deal about and you realize while reading that Sup Forums is retarded and doesn't know what they're talking it only seems like they do when you also don't know what you're talking about.

>maybe I can try and make my own trash look better by grouping it within the same label as actually good stories
How deliciously ironic

Postmodern is basically a skin deep value of art. In its lamest and simplest thing i can think of is PostModern is like puting a sticker on something that doesnt affect an already made item original purpose. Basically decorations. Modern art is when the entire piece surves a function the artist is trying to portray. Like pic related.

>I'll call everyone retarded but not specify my """informed""" position so I can't possibly be proven wrong that way I'm better than everyone else :)))

>Maybe if I close my eyes and pretend the criticisms of my art don’t exist they’ll go away.

Postmodern art tends to be a lazy art, it gives you artistic freedom, but it relies on art already made.

You are thinking of abstract art, which is prevelant in post modern art.

You really gonna say Animal Man wasn't postmodern? Because you're currently screeching at the concept as a whole.

The modern movement was simply an extesion of the ego, no real rhyme or reason to it. Its just so easy to do and bullshit, literally you can use bullshit and call it art. The art world is too narsasistic now, what ever happend to making art that makes other people happy?

Clean your room.

Its funny how you take issue with what the he said the message is, but not the fact about it being nothing more than a vehicle to lazily feed their ego with head pats.

You aren't really disproving his point, but perhaps that's the point.

>Be artist
>Live in a world with decided people, each side wanting everyone else dead
>With tiranycal politicians who don't give a damn if they end up killing thousands
>With companies who buy entire countries
>With families abandoning each other
>With people who want to be alone all the time
>With massive groups of people waiting for the smallest excuse to riot and destroy everything
>I wander what my art can comment on

>Shit in a can, it art

>Its almost like art has a wide, near infinite net of possibilities.
It literally does thats why its so easy to call your self an artist. Right now i can say im an artist because im replying to your post, while making an argument that no one can say what i said at this moment in this way im typing at this second. People can copy and paste this but in the end when i post this reply, it becomes mine and it is etched into my memory.

Art is fundamentally about ego first and foremost, it's just that the nature of that ego-stroking has changed. Also, there are plenty of modern art pieces that make other people happy.

For one to disprove a point, there actually has to be a pint in the first place, rather than just playing coy and refusing to take criticism.