The first comic I ever read was Sandman

>The first comic I ever read was Sandman
>It basically ruined comics for me because nothing else was as good

This sucks

read gaimans other comics, theyre just as good, though nowhere near as long.
books of magic and its after-series are very good, though gaiman didnt write the after series
most vertigo stuff will hit the spot though

They lack the emotional impact

did you just start reading standard capes without ever expanding afterwards?

Lucifer was fairly good at the beginning.
Invisibles and Transmet as well.

No. I tried other ones people said were good. 2000AD stuff, other vertigo stuff. None of it was very good.

idk, it has plenty of emotional impact for me.

Read Alan Moore Swamp Thing too

Somewhat unrelated but yesterday the cops sweeped my apartment and i was completely baffled when the overweight 50-something copper complimented my taste when he saw my Sandman Endless Nights book on display.
I didn't expect someone that age to recognize that stuff.

No offense but keep going, if Sandman's the best comic you've ever read you haven't read enough.

This post raises various questions

This. Sandman is fucking great, but as I take dives into more obscure stuff I'm finding stuff that fits my tastes. I have many that I like more than Sandman, though it's hard to say if they are 'better'

One I would recommend is pic related. Am amazing adaption of Wagers Ring Saga operas

>50-something
What age do you think people who read Sandman when it was out on the stands are now?

Same here. I had been reading DC since n52. Obviously that was garbage. I picked up Rebirth and was loving it (I still am, but less), but I got to the issue of Metal where Daniel shows up and I decided I can't go any further until I've read Sandman. No harm it's only 75 chapters, right? WRONG, It felt like a punch in the gut to have to go back to reading the art-driven stories in Metal and leave behind the amazingly written world of Sandman. It's just not even fair to compare the two.

It was one of the first comics i read too, and its probably the only full series ive read. I just accept other comics as different things then what sandman was, same as how i like courage the cowardly dog but can still enjoy mr pickles for what it is.

IMagine being this much of a pleb

It's literally impossible that you weren't once, unless you came out of the womb with a priori knowledge of all things comic related, my try-harding friend.

>Story about the beauty and wonder of stories
>Ruins stories
You're a gay

This, nearly everyone starts off as a pleb. My first comics where Wanted and Kick-Ass because I liked the movies

He didn't ruin it, it was just time to die.

You sound like a whiny spoiled bitch

>I didn't expect someone that age to recognize that stuff.
He would have been in his twenties when Sandman started... You're daft.

>go back to reading the art-driven stories in Metal and leave behind the amazingly written world of Sandman
I wish Sandman had better art, though. Some issues/stories have decent art, but a lot more don't.

What?

But these are perfectly enjoyable

>Sandman
>better than Miller Daredevil
>better than Kingdom Come
>better than Magus Saga
>better than Man-Thing
>better than Birthright
>better than Y The Last Man
>better than Preacher
>better than Supreme
Get the fuck outta here

>>better than Y The Last Man
>>better than Preacher
Anything is better than that shit
>muh redpill wymenz are bad
>muhrapist irish dracula

I love a lot of those books, but I wouldn't all many of them better than Sandman...

>Cerebus
>From Hell
>Corto Maltese
give 'em a shot.

>>muh redpill wymenz are bad
I haven't read Y: The Last Man but somehow I doubt BKV wrote a book that has that as the message.

>better than Kingdom Come
>better than Magus Saga
>better than Man-Thing
>better than Birthright
>better than Y The Last Man
>better than Preacher
objectively yes

Have you read Lucifer?

It is objectively better than Preacher, yes.

It contradicts the idea that all of the problems with society are the result of men and a world inhabited exclusively by women would be a violence-free utopia. that post was either bait, or the opinion of someone who thinks you would only attempt to make that point if you hate women. Ideologues have no patience for subtlety or complexity so unless you respond to "the future is female!" with reflexive tears of joy you must be part of "the other side."

IMagine being this much of a pleb

Felt similarly about Berserk.

that artstyle.. talk about a ripoff this dude is obviously riding off the coat tails of JoJo's bizarre adventure

Kingdom Come isn't even on the same level.

The Kindly Ones is fucking awful artwise which fucking sucks because it’s the goddamn climax of the entire story. Pisses me off because the artist for the funeral was fucking perfect and would’ve been perfect for the Kindly Ones.

I wish JH Williams had done more of Sandman.

>diner issue
Does it ever get that good again?

Have you read Peter Milligan's Shade The Changing Man?

>first comic was Amazing spider man
Try again pham

It gets better.

I know exactly what you're talking about and it feels like shit

>1987 was thirty years ago
Feels bad

>tfw 27
>tfw started collecting paperbacks for the first time last year
>tfw still have yet to read Sandman
feels fucking good, especially since I am also interested in Lucifer too, which I can read immediately after

I'm really happy that I will have the opportunity to read all the stuff that I got or got gifted (during christmas) for the very first time. Always wanted to read stuff like Kingdom Come, Watchmen, New Frontier, All Star Supes, and the TDKR trilogy. The problem is that due to the faggots on this board, I am also interested in Sandman, Lucifer, and Hellboy, which will basically cost me a small fortune to get

Don't try to fit in by shitting on Waid, newfag.

You don't know how to greentext and you're a massive faggot

opinions on Kingdom Come are pretty divided on Sup Forums

For example, I think it's shit and doesn't at all deserve the lionization it gets. On the other hand, you are a big dumb idiot who thinks it's a good comic.

And you're objectively wrong, moron.

is there actually a name of that artstyle? 70s-90s iirc had that kind of artstyle which is much more interesting than the post 2000s art which kinda looks way more digital. don't know the terms though because I'm a pleb

Brian Bolland

>Waid and Ross whining about muh Silver Age
>while playing right into what they're against by making Wonder Woman an edgelord, Captain Marvel a crazed villain, Superman a coward, and the Justice League in general into outright fascists
and that's on top of Ross being a very stiff artist better suited to covers and splash pages than actual interiors

Seriously go fuck yourself. Shit on Waid all you want but he's a legendary writer so keep seething bitch.

the only good on that list is Miller and Moore

Read some Elric,

Waid has always been at best ok

>legendary
he's a less talented Busiek

Keep seething, you won't change the truth.

Moore is overrated.

Mark, is that you

shouldn't you be butchering every teen character in Marvel

That artist was Chris Bachalo, and his personal style has changed a lot over the years.
This is another page from Shade, The Changing Man #1....

>Keep seething
They're not the ones who got upset and told someone to go fuck themselves for disliking something they enjoy.

Then Shade, the Changing Man #36

Enigma > Sandman and Animal Man

and X-men #198 from 2007 for something more modern.
I don't have any issues from his Dr. Strange work saved

sorry guys, maybe I wasn't being specific enough. I mean the artstyle in general during that era. another example that pops to my mind would be Maximum Carnage. Just the colour palette alone is totally different from what we have today

it was back before the advent of glossy paper and digital coloring, so things were just colored differently

Hate on Champions all you want, won't change the fact that he wrote some of the best comics ever

He started the name calling and he's just being a contrarian bitch. Only on Sup Forums can he deny that Waid is a legendary writer.

Read Kid Lobotomy!

>some of the best comics ever

Try calming down a bit before formulating an argument, user.
>Waid is a legendary writer.
Name 3 things he has written that would elevate him to this status.

Kingdom Come, Flash, Birthright, 52, Daredevil, Fantastic Four

>Flash
>52
>Daredevil
>Fantastic Four
That's incredibly specific.

>The first comic I ever read was Go, Dog. Go!
>It basically ruined books for me because nothing else was as good

This sucks

Kingdom Come is good but it's no Sandman.

You're right it's much better.

oh I am, top 10 of 2017 easily

I didn't think Waidfags still existed but here we are

Read Love & Rockets. Groundbreaking work, Gaiman is a massive fan, and Sandman wouldn't exist without it. Plus it's still going 35 years later.

this, one of the actual best comics ever

I'll take a bet on drugs

Y shit all over its own premise within the first two books and is an objectively bad comic.

Miller Daredevil isn't even as good as half of Miller's own other work, like DKR or Samurai Jack.

This man has good taste. Corto Maltese especially is one of the top comics of all time.

Try Hellboy

Read Swamp Thing

Born Again is one of Miller's best comics

Born Again is great but his Daredevil run is just okay at best. Starts out rough and generic and even later on has some questionable moments. Roulette is great though.

>2000AD stuff
>None of it was very good.
I'm amazed you haven't killed yourself via botulism yet because you clearly have no sense of taste.

Read more Gaiman, then read Alan Moore's work, Hellboy, The Incal and other Jodorowsky and Moebius, Will Eisner graphic novels starting with A Contract with God, from there I think you would be in a comfortable spot to continue on your own, I would personally recommend stuff like Asterios Polyp, The Underwater Welder, The Bus, Calvin & Hobbes, Akira, I Kill Giants, Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, The Goon, Grant Morrison stuff, Blacksad, Concrete, Zot!, Bone, Tin Tin, Maus and so on, but I think that only a handful of those are absolutely loved by the majority, the rest are hit or miss for some people, expecially Maus, I think it's fine, but a lot of people don't like it.
Also learn to enjoy other things by which you can at least entertain yourself, you start with a very high standard with The Sandman in my opinion, but it was also one of my first non-cape comics, still one of my favourites but it sure as hell doesn't go unchallenged.

Not OP, I'm reading it right now and it's so good At least the first 50 issues. I'm on issue 61 and it's still enjoyable, but it feels like the series is just trudging along at this point. I really do miss Kathy.

The only one of those I'd say even comes close is Magus Saga and even that isn't my favorite run from the series so.

What?

All fanboy writers are shit. Fuck off, faggot.

All are average as fuck. Waid is a capeshitter but has never even been a standout in the genre.

now name something isn't cape

Read Stray Bullets and Young Liars.

Never read it but have seen this art before. Is sandman 1989 is whats in OP?

>started with the new 52

You are a pathetic new fag who just discovered comics. Please come back once you're over 18.

The difference is you're acting like a pretentious twat. Everyone who isnt a pleb knows comics are the lowest form of entertainment. Yet we still read them.

Series like sandman come every once a red moon. It isn't the norm but a lovely exception. You acting all sad that no comics will ever measure up to it is fucking pathetic.

Read an actual novel instead of comic books. Maybe that will raise your IQ

Bullshit. He built up the Flash mythos used today like how Johns built up Green Lantern. Dont tell me he was an ok writer faggot.

read the Eternauta.

learn spanish and start reading argie comics by breccia and robin wood