Would you watch an Animorphs cartoon...

Would you watch an Animorphs cartoon? I feel like Netflix would be the best bet given they do a ton of original anime and cartoons these days. Maybe tie up each 13 books into a season, though I'm not sure if each book could or even should be their own episode, or just blend them together to make season long arcs.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ivQ9OU2B5so
youtube.com/watch?v=c-2vEFWFlgE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'd watch the fuck out of a well-done Animorphs cartoon. What are the odds that Scholastic would be okay with a cartoon aimed towards teens/adults instead of children? I don't think the books can successfully or faithfully be adapted to screens (or hell, even comics, for example) without boosting the age rating some. Remember, this is a war story, and people and animals are constantly getting their blood spilt and their limbs hacked off.

I reread the entire series last year.

Jesus, the things they got away with. Half of an entire Tobias book is him getting tortured and his mind slowly breaking apart.

His next book is dealing with his PTSD from that event and from having to encounter his torturer again.

One of the Megamorphs begins with Jake ripping off the arm of a Controller and before he runs off, the Controller points off that just because he isn't there to see the Controller die, doesn't mean he isn't going to die. This really fucks Jake.

The time Jake turned into a fly, gets on board a plane, gets swatted, and half his body is gone. When his friends try to pick him up, his limbs fall off.

The time Marco almost got stuck as a giant flea. Or the time he was eaten by sharks.

The time Ax tortured the school principal. Or when Rachel had to watch over the sixth Animorph ran his timer out as he begged and pleaded for his life... and then dropped his body onto a remote island. Or the alternate future where, as a Controller, she cooked and ate Tobias.

I don't think Cassie went through much physical torture, besides having her body physically broken in wolf morph. But she went through a lot of existential trauma. She purposely trapped herself in caterpillar morph once. She had to perform brain surgery on Ax.

Man, this shit was the best.

>I feel like Netflix would be the best bet given they do a ton of original anime and cartoons these days.
They would make it live-action and you know it.

Studios would rather broaden appeal by not making it a cartoon which people view as "for kids" on a $1mil per ep budget than make a fantastic looking cartoon at $400k per ep.

I'd love a cartoon. Maybe we'll get more content if the graphic novels they're working on do well.

post animorphs memes

>I don't think Cassie went through much physical torture
She tortured everyone else with her moralizing hippie bullshit

To my memory, the book series literally ended with the kids on a suicide course to ram a spaceship into the Yeerk mothership.

They were grown adults at that point though

I'd be fine but it'd need actual length in order to show the destructive aspect it has on the personalities of the main characters. Also relegate Cassie to friend of the team and replace her with Melissa because seriously who the fuck would miss having Cassie around?

Much as everyone likes stuff like that the most effective "dark" aspect is Rachel and her slow descent into violent psychopathy as she comes to realize that she really, really loves the violence and how much of a terrible, fucked up person she is because of it.

>animorphs thread

TIME FOR THE TRI YEARLY ANIMORPHS THREAD

>tfw on re-read Animorphs doesn't hold up
It's not the subject matter or maturity, that can be given a pass due to the target audience, it's just a matter of pacing, where

Y'know, when I was a kid reading it, I found Cassie to be the most annoying because of that.

Reading it as an adult, Cassie makes so much more sense. I completely understand the points she's making and the way she analyzes people. She's the one who could understand people's emotions so well, that she came up with the plan to trap David in a rat morph.

They win the war as kids. Rachel dies while killing Jake's brother. They all grow up to be adults. Ax, now a Prince, goes missing. Jake, Marco, and Tobias, with a crew of Jake's students who can morph, get on board a ship to save him. Cassie stays behind on Earth, with her new boyfriend.

They discover that Ax has had his body taken off by an Eldritch abomination. They ram their ship into his. Series ends with you deciding what happens from there.

sorry, too drunk and hit enter

pacing, where there's too much lead up, and no enough falling action, because post climax, there's an instant conclusion with little actual resolution. THere's a million other problems, but certainly I miss the nostalgia of Animorphs and I wish that Jake or Marco had died instead. Tobias deserved more.

All those cripples they lead to their deaths.

Who's Melissa?

Chapman's daughter I think

> Thinly veiled off topic thread
every time.

I don't remember Chapman either... Been a long time since I read these books, though. I liked Cassie alright, though.

Cassie proved herself multiple times throughout the series. And she has insight that none of the other kids have.

She's definitely worth keeping.

In the book where Tobias has to work with her torturer, the group gets so caught up on killing a number of Yeerks, that they leave behind Cassie, who was mortified by the idea. The whole plan was a trap, and Cassie alone saves the group, because she was the only one able to figure out the enemy's motives. And this was a Tobias book. Cassie did all her shit behind the scenes.

He was the assistant principle of their school, and a controller.

When I was younger I wrote to KA and she write me back two letters, one as herself and the other as Visser Three. I’m still praying that we get this series as a comic book some day

I'd love a whole movie for each of the Chronicles + Visser

How about that starfish book where the violent-Rachel had her arm cut off in grizzly morph by a Hork-Bajir and then uses it as a weapon

I think the pacing issues really come in the ghost written books. Some of them are downright awful

>Jaremy

>Jaremy
Hey man, my mom and dad didn’t actually know how to spell the name, okay, it’s unique and I like it

That's honestly really cool, user!

I'd treasure a letter like that.

>In the book where Tobias has to work with her torturer
His.

I think a nicely paced moody cartoon would be freaking amazing. The original TV show kinda prove how expensive, restricted and challenging the show would be to adapt seriously. It also failed to really capture the paranoia of the whole ordeal. Like they would be at school or in an open arcade in a crowded mall talking about Yeerk strategy.

In the books, when people heard or figured out who the Animorphs were, they had to be DEALT with. The books managed to keep this looming intense dread consistent in the series, the show just didn't care.

We did get re-releases of the books, and if I wanted a series anywhere, I'd be Netflix. Castlevania did well, who knows.

> Jaremy

You poor mother fucker. Do your parents hate you?

My aunt pulled it out for me today so I could snap a pic of it, sadly I couldn’t find the letter from Visser Three
Actually I’m an orphan, raised by my aunt Faye (dad’s sister), never met my mom, and met my dad a week before he escaped from the Las Vegas ICU and passed away. Honestly, the name “Bill” strikes people as far more strange than the “a” added to Jeremy.

>They would make it live-action and you know it.
Castlevania gave me hope they might try more animation. Godzilla monkeys pawed that.
I don't know what to think anymore.

To an extent. They STARTED to re-release the books, but didn't market them at all and so they stopped before #8 hit shelves. Too bad, the rereleases were supposedly a test to see if there was interest in a sequel series.

Tobias was your favourite character, wasn't he?

>the graphic novels they're working on

Say what now

Whose wasn't?

Didn't they also rewrite the books to get rid of all the 90s pop-culture references in favor of more current-day trends?

No way dude, the books following Ax were so cool, I was fascinated by Andalites and how they saw our world

>met my dad a week before he escaped from the Las Vegas ICU and passed away.
Escaped?

They had terrible covers and were "updated" for modern audiences. They were shit

If they ever decided to do anything with the animals ever again it will probably just be some teen drama series like the old show. This time with less aliens nonsense and more angst and drama.

Buddy, the angst and drama was kind of the point. Did we read the same series?

you are now aware that all of humanity is in danger because of this stupid video game. And animorphs predicted it years ago in a children's book

Relevant:
youtube.com/watch?v=ivQ9OU2B5so

That was what the doctors told us the next day when we went back, apparently he snuck out so he could see some stripper he was dating and died a week later. My aunt says my dad always was a womanizer, and he died doing what he loved that week.

Animorphs was fucking dark for a kids' book. That issue where they capture David and force him into a rat morph and capture him in a cage too small to transform back in... and just let him stay stuck after the time limit
seriously, it would have been more merciful to chuck the cage in the ocean once you caught the rat but no, better that fishermen have nightmares about the phantom voice crying out for help from a tiny rat infested island.

What was he in the ICU for? Why hadn't you met him before?

He came back, didn't he?

Yeah, the devil resurrected him.

yeah with the help of this faggot's enemy
honestly as a kid, I liked the Elliminist and probably set off my current love of eldritch horrors and beings that exist within and beyond our senses.

but now I just think he complicates what was an already good formula unnecessarily

jesus how did I mispell it when its written in the picture and in the filename

Apparently he was struck by a car in a hit and run and was put into the ICU, I hadn’t seen him because my mom gave me up to him a year after I was born and six months later he trick my aunt into taking me and took her car and never came back. And he, or my mom, just never tried to get in contact with me again.

It sounds sad but my home life with my aunt was amazing

48, imo, was the perfect conclusion to Rachel's character arc.
Would you have killed David, Sup Forums?

Aw, well it's good that you had a happy life anyways.

post moar animorphs art. I itch for animorphs but can't find where I put the box of books to reread them

Yes. No question about it because I thought death is more merciful than life as a rat on a rock.
Ending someone ends both their suffering and the suffering they inflict on others.
What else are you supposed to do when the guy freely admits he'd kill them all if he could? They were at war, they already killed a lot of hosts as it is.

They're working on a series of Animorphs graphic novels. A few artists who applied for the job but got rejected have talked very briefly about it. Pretty sure they're supposedly going to start coming out this year.

I cannot fucking wait for this, I sent a message to KA via twitter about this but she never got back to me

That's what makes the whole thing so shocking. They took in this scared kid and made him part of the team and thus, they feel responsible. I also believe they know he is very dangerous, but deeply pity him to the point they can't muster up the courage to kill him.

Thus they rat him, not quite realizing how much worse and dangerous it is. What is stopping David from thought speaking shit to people? The fact he is a prey animal who will likely be eaten alive.

The Chee clearly have no problems imprisoning sentient beings, they should have just dumped him at Eric's.

>> They took in this scared kid
True, but they really shouldn't have. He showed clear signs of being imbalanced and should not have been trusted with power. They had access to the Chee at the time and should've gone to them for resources.

>What is stopping David from thought speaking shit to people?
They trapped David on an isolated island that barely supported life. The only people who could hear him were passing boats. And all they heard were ghostly screams.

I t never occurred to me that him and the Crayak were my first real exposure to cosmic horror. I can still vividly remember the mental image of Crayak I had in my head as kid.

I always imagined Crayak with something like the red eye of Sauron mixed with multiple limbs. no tentacles tho, just clawed limbs like a Hork-Bajir

>The whole plan was a trap, and Cassie alone saves the group, because she was the only one able to figure out the enemy's motives.
>Cassie
>female character
>minority character
Sup Forums would have a next-level conniption fit

From how Jake described it, I always imagined him seeing it off in the distance, yet somehow still seeing it "up-close"(it's an eldritch abomination it doesn't have to make sense), and literally just like a single, pulsating eye on metal platform/plateau at the mountain's top. Not even any tentacles or anything, just that single eye, its stalk melding into the metal somehow.

A few of the ghost written books would have to be trashed. Cassie's Aborginal adventures should get trashed. The others maybe could get fixed up.

I think some sub plots could also be expanded. The Free Hork Bajir were great but got too little focus. The Auxiliaries could have gotten more to do. The Yeerk resistance as a plot was forgotten for ages and then brought up at the end. And they could have had far more time on the alien wolds.

And of course there is a bunch of early instalment weirdness to edit out. Like the bit that Hork Bajir have biological clocks towards a generational war that was never mentioned again.

But the biggest thing is to make sure each character is well done. Don't make any of them a caricature and none of them are perfect or flawless. Some of the ghost written books forgot that. Rachel particularly seemed to bounce around in character a lot.

I mean a lot of the ghostwritten books can entirely be discarded in an adaptation, because a lot of them were just rando adventures.

David had the morph cube and the Yeerks were closing in. The heroes had already tried and failed to covertly save him. He had enough information on them that he could potentially blow their cover. They could either leave him to the Yeerks, dooming him and possibly themselves; add him to the team or kill him in cold blood. And he hadn't done anything that terrible yet, mostly just be an edgy faggot.

I recall. But we learn later that the Chee have an entire sanctuary underground filled with dogs. David could have safely been placed there.

And Cassie and Tobias both saw troublesome signs in his personality. He hadn't done anything dangerous at that point, but enough to make them hesitate.

They definitely should've had a proper talk when they saw him kill innocent animals in his morphs.

Oh boy and Animorphs thread!. Yea Netflix probably could pull this off. I'd like to see how they did The Andalite Chronicles

Cassie was terrible because she would tell everyone not to do horrible things and then do the most horrible things to other people in the name of not getting people killed. Fuck Cassie

But that's what makes her interesting. She's just as much of a violent monster as the rest of them. Her battle morph was a wolf, meaning she had to tear off parts of people with her TEETH.

The core of Cassie's character is that of a hypocrite, I believe purposefully so.

I always loved how Rachel's original Battle Morph was an Elephant but then as she became more violent she changed it to a grizzlie to do more damage.

And don't forget, Tobias tries to kill himself after only a few weeks of being trapped in Hawk Morph

she's based on K.A. so I think it was all supposed to be taken seriously. And they even admit Wolf Morph sucks. They're all talking about how their battle morphs are dangerous and all cassie can come up with is basically that she can run away really fast. And in the end, she's the only one who isn't full of PTSD and a complete mess. She's super successful. Where was Karma?

Marco came out alright, although he did get roped into going on the final suicide mission in the end.

We knew he was bad because his Snake's name was Spawn. Fucking 90s

All Cassie books are just terrible and should be completely forgotten.

They really were padding them out in the end.

Does anyone else think the theme song for the tv show was fucking dope?
youtube.com/watch?v=c-2vEFWFlgE

It ain't easy to release a book once a month. God help me I read all of them.

Marco was the smartest member of the animorphs and just became a vapid entertainer who cashed in on his powers. It was pathetic.

Tobias slowly losing his humanity was pretty well written like once he got his human morph he struggled to make facial expressions because he had spent so much time as a hawk

Here is how you do a series of the show book wise. It dumps everything uncessary and follows all the important plot points and character arcs. 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, Chronicles, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, Hork Bajir, 26, 30, 35, Visser, 38, 41, 45, 49, 50, 51, 52

he flapped his arms the first time he got them back in book 7, The Stranger

Man, I'd like to fuck Marco. How could Rachel not have had a thing for him? I remember hearing about a weird fanfic where Marco and Ax, who lived together in Ax's scoop just fuck. They don't even morph, its just Andalite on Human hot xenophilic action.

>All Cassie books are just terrible and should be completely forgotten.
>Trashing the time the Animorphs Conned Visser 3 into bathing in Grape Juice for a month
>Or Karen
>Or the time Ax needed fucking BRAIN SURGERY
I know you're mad because she hated Jake at the end but you have to remember, Jake kind of got her BFF killed.

>Her BFF
She was his cousin and she chose to kill her own cousin who was a controller. It was a family matter.

Worse yet, this scene takes place when he learns that Elfangor was his father.

My bet is somewhere between Young Justice and Voltron. And then in the last episode we found out Marco is suddenly gay for Ax so everyone looks over the serious glaring problems it had

Yeah and her Best Friend throughout the damn book series. And Jake's dumb ass got her killed because he decided to be a War Criminal the minute his brother died.

I never really thought of Cassie and Rachel as good friends though. At first they certainly were, but as things went on Cassie was disgusted with her. They just kept of the friend thing as a facade

Explain

it was always teen drama. Turning into animals is just a metaphor for puberty

From the thumbnail I misread the actor's name as
>Shawn's Asshole
And yes

Aren't they like 12? Preteens only have the vaguest notion of dating let alone actually wanting to bang, and Marco is absolutely the class clown who people laugh along with but mostly just find annoying. Rachel is a stereotype west coast mall rat and they're not into that.

The Ellimist's entire race was destroyed because they played really advanced simulations. Another alien race saw this, didn't understand fiction, and decide they needed to be destroyed.

They're 13 at the beginning. They say that in the last book where Jake is 16 and has been fighting for 3 years

What was slicing open the bellies of giant cannibalistic caterpillars with your bare hands a metaphor for?

everytime someone, anywhere on the net talks about animorphs, fans come out of the woodwork. Nothing else does that. Not even Goosebumps, and yet that has a movie starring Jack Black. What the fuck?

That the real treasure was inside them all along.

They did try to talk to him, multiple times, but every time they confronted him they either did it as a group (which he interpreted as, "do things our way or else") or they sent one person to have a heart to heart which he correctly saw as them just trying to manipulate him. The problem all along is that the main cast were basically all friends (Ax being a very weird friend but still a friend) while David started out as an outsider and never had time to integrate.

Plus, David was an edgy faggot and slightly unstable BEFORE he got dragged into the alien invasion, and his introduction to things was "your family are slaves and you can never save them, also now you're homeless" and that absolutely DID NOT HELP his state of mind.

Probably because it was that damn good, and yet there's pretty much been nothing acknowledging it even existed since it ended.

We live in an age where goddamn everything from twenty years ago is getting a big-budget hollywood blockbuster, but somehow Animorphs gets overlooked.

they should have just trapped him in another human body

Its the Watchmen of Young Adult Novels