As someone who doesnt know much about the spiderman comics themselves...

As someone who doesnt know much about the spiderman comics themselves, can someone explain to me why marvel would make the head writer someone who hates mary jane yet thinks peter should date an extreme feminist instead, and allow things like this to be pulbished that completly insult their most popular character?

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2015/02/12/fanboy-rampage-dan-vs-ami/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Marvel refuses to let Peter grow up

Used to be, comics had young talent. Now theres only old geezers that are completely out of touch with the current generation. Theyre a bunch of fags still butthurt over Gwens death. Theyre even out of touch with their own generation

Because like it or not, Dan Slott managed to make Spider-Man one of Marvel's consistently highest-selling comics for years after the title was practically bleeding readers in the immediate OMD fallout. It's only really within the last year that sales have taken a drastic downturn, which roughly coincides with Slott 'spontaneously' deciding he's gonna leave after saying just a few months ago that he intends to stay on for a lot longer.

>Used to be, comics had young talent. Now theres only old geezers that are completely out of touch with the current generation.
I thought the main problem was they have too many young fan fic writers who know nothing about comics and therefore make them into a political pedestol
>Theyre a bunch of fags still butthurt over Gwens death.
People still arent over that? That happend almost 50 years ago. Is that why their was all that obnoxious gwen jerking a few years back?

>Dan Slott managed to make Spider-Man one of Marvel's consistently highest-selling comics for years after the title was practically bleeding readers in the immediate OMD fallout.
How? I thought he liked OMD. Why would readers who hated that stay on for a bad writer who liked that then? And after all the backlash why does marvel still refuse to recton it?

Marvel could easily make more money than Slott ever made them, and they used to, even with comics being cheaper in the 80s. Fact is everyone good knows Marvel doesn't pay enough and fucks you out of every character you create for them. No one decent wants to deal with that shit. Nobody wants to get fucked over like the old guard did.

>I thought the main problem was they have too many young fan fic writers who know nothing about comics and therefore make them into a political pedestol

Worse. Too many old writers trying to emulate young politics to sound "woke" on the main titles, with the others staffed by artists and writers from Tumblr.

>even with comics being cheaper in the 80s.
I honestly believe if they stopped using such overpriced paper and started making comics larger but on cheaper paper stock comics would sell more because then people wont feel gipped over 10 readable pages for 5$ Thats most why manga sells better

You think guys of Slotts and Bendis age were ever the norm? Aside from the early days they were always scouting new talent, and older guys like Ditko Kirby etc were a part of it because they were already there at the start of the silver age.
And yes, the fags behind OMD were just the right age to be fanboys back in the Early 70s. Its not hard to connect those dots. Y'all dont remember that early MJ was the ditzy independent party hippie girl and Gwen was the pure old fashioned 50s style serious & chaste style waifu.

>How? I thought he liked OMD
Because he actually wrote a pretty good Spider-Man story. The Gauntlet is still considered one of the better Spidey stories of the past decade, and Spider-Island was very popular at the time and considered a big return to form for the character. His personality drew him plenty of criticism, but it hadn't really gone out of control yet. It wasn't until Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Verse, and the Parker Industries-era (i.e. when he officially ran out of ideas) that opinions really started turning against him.

That and Manga has always had STRICT editors. Meanwhile Marvel artists whined and cried about Jim Shooter doing his fucking job and making them put out a book on time and did let them do whatever they wanted instead of what fans wanted

So its a mixture of too many college activists coming in and old fags trying to appear hip steve buscemi style. Got it. Also, dont the old ones know the market well enough that this would only make them much more hated then loved?

>His personality drew him plenty of criticism
How so? Ive only heard complaints about his bad stories. Whats bad about him himself?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Slott saying something about Spider-Man not being the sort of person who should sleep with hot girls? Because it's not realistic to the reader? Or maybe that was just his reason for the midget. Fuck if I know.

Dan Slott is a bit of a petty asshole. The guy is pretty infamous for not being able to take criticism well (he literally doxxed one of his critics in to submission back in the day, and only admitted it when the critic's wife personally called him and demanded he apologize) who gets in to petty fights with fans and loves to drag it in to the comics themselves.

He said that Peter Parkers classic love interests are 'un-Marvel' because all pretty women are really just vapid and rotten on the inside, and that his OC love interest, Anna-Marie, is perfect for SpOck because she's a deformed freak, and thus that means she's a good genuine person by default.

>Also, dont the old ones know the market well enough that this would only make them much more hated then loved?

I can't remember who said it, but someone working at Marvel actually said having the fans hate them would drive sales better. I'd appreciate if someone would pick that up for me. It's a bold strategy, courting controversy for reads, but it really hasn't paid off.

>The guy is pretty infamous for not being able to take criticism well (he literally doxxed one of his critics in to submission back in the day, and only admitted it when the critic's wife personally called him and demanded he apologize) who gets in to petty fights with fans and loves to drag it in to the comics themselves.
Holy shit, not only is this unprofessional but has a negative impact on the comics themselves, how has marvel not fired him after all these years?
>He said that Peter Parkers classic love interests are 'un-Marvel' because all pretty women are really just vapid and rotten on the inside
And hes fucking /r9k/ too, if he hates rotten women so much then why did he pair peter with a bitchy feminist like mockingbird?

That story sucked but it had nothing to do with editorial mandate. It was just a weird little story. Weird little stories about flagship characters (that sometimes stick and sometimes don't) are published all the time.

Also, you're being a child if you still care about the relationship status of a fictional character. Enjoy the stories that you enjoyed and forget the ones you didn't.

Or... you know... you could stop investing your heart and soul in a company that doesn't give two fucks about you.

>I can't remember who said it, but someone working at Marvel actually said having the fans hate them would drive sales better.
And yet here we are at a point where marvel sales are so bad that its dragging the industry to bankruptcy. Two comic stores in my aera closed last year as a direct result of low marvel sales, that due to some distribution jewery they had to buy stock of. Is marvel stubborn or stupid at this point? Why do they refuse to change and denounce all the terrible decsions and sjw pandering?

>Holy shit, not only is this unprofessional but has a negative impact on the comics themselves, how has marvel not fired him after all these years?
See
>And hes fucking /r9k/ too, if he hates rotten women so much then why did he pair peter with a bitchy feminist like mockingbird?
Because she's a feminist so she's a good person by default.

To his credit, he seems to have realized that audience reaction to the pairing has been universally negative, which lead to them breaking up offscreen last issue.

>you're being a child if you still care about the relationship status of a fictional character.
Are you baiting or just that fucking stupid. I genuinely cant tell on this site anymore

Poe's law strikes again!

>Because she's a feminist so she's a good person by default.
But thats always the exact opposite, feminists are the most vile women in existence. What could someone like him see in a group that literally demonizes men and constantly blames them for all the worlds problems?

Dan does not understand Spider-man and the fact that he had input on the upcoming game really pisses me off.
Pete, as originally conceived, was a sometimes selfish, vindictive nerd that was driven by guilt. Look at Ditkos run. Look at how many times Pete seriously considered tormenting Flash or leaving him to die, only to remember Responsibility.
When Spider-man talks endless shit during battles its because thats Petes inner tortured nerd Finally being able to say what he always wanted to tell the bullies.
HOWEVER
Keep in mind that Ditko was an objectivist. He made Pete heavily flawed because he wanted him to develop into a Randian hero like the Question or Mr. A or Rorschach. The famous "if this be my destiny" arc, issues #30-33, referenced in Homecoming, was a fast way to make Pete grow up. Ditko wanted to do it slowly but fans & Stan wanted Pete in college.
Gwen was literally introduced because letters from female fans rightfully pointed out that Liz would seem like a flaky bitch even to her fellow high school girls.
Now Romita had a big history in romance comics and was much better at drawing and depicting interesting female characters than Steve. So of course he put that in and Spider-man finally overtook the X-Men & FF in popularity. Despite what retarded Dan Slott thinks it made sense, because Pete had developed into a Man, he showed that Nerds COULD get the girl, which was something even Ditko was building towards. The idea however was that Spider-man would always get in the way of more traditional girls like Betty.
Please excuse my drunkposting

Slott was celebrated for his run on Spidey for a long time. Hell if he had left the book after Superior Spider-Man, people probably would've praised him as one of the great definitive runs on the character.

Problem is he's overstayed his welcome. He's completely run out of ideas for the character and it shows.

Oh and I forgot to mention that Ditkos best aspect was his ability to draw dynamic STRESSED OUT AS FUCK facial expressions. Romita, bless him, could not do that, so Peter had to conquer his anxiety and mature.
Them trying to reset Pete without understanding early Pete is a recipe for disaster

Look buddy, do you want actual answers here, or do you just want me to jack you off?

Because it's feeling like the latter here, and I'm sure there's a thread on /r9k/ that can help you with that.

But thats exactly what they are like and its on topic because it shows slotts fractured psyche for giving them a free pass but other girls are “rotten and vile” when they are much much worse

'Jack me off please daddy' it is.

Well its obvious as fuck that Marvel has been prioritizing controversy cash over anything else. OMD made them money. Nazi Cap wouldn't have happened without OMD

Nice way of ignoring and invalidating everything i said, cunt

Hes baiting but hed have a bit of a point if he wasn't being such an ass. Why read Ultimate Spider-man when 60s & 70s Spider-man holds up better than almost any other comic from that era? I dont bother with anything after 2000 aside from a handful of creators like Morrison, and my backlog is still huge.

The fucking writers of tales about our favorites should be as close to the characters as actually possible, I feel. Their lives should parallell, proportionately. Who is the person most like Parker in our reality alive today? It doesn't matter, actually. Their spirts are what move and inspire us. Integrity. Not blind hero worship. We are condemned to death at birth. Be well.

Nazi Cap was a real clusterfuck.
>Yes, we mad Cap Hydra. He wasn't brainwashed, and we won't "magic" it away with the cosmic cube. Please don't go! It has a happy ending, I promise!

Hey Spider-Verse was the funnest stuff of the modern age

Not magic, no. SCIENCEfiction, BITCH

DeFalco already did it

Bobbi>>>MJ

Aside from the unnecessary edgyness of killing off beloved versions of Pete and the lack of page time for muh big nigga Leopardon

Poorly
One thing Slott did right - Ock is a better long term nemeis than Goblin wank

I still can't believe the nightmare is finally over.

Slott has made me sick of Otto, but also Norman to a lesser degree.

Brian, I know you're mad that Sony screwed you out of a creator credit for Ganke, but you need to stop shitposting anonymously.

And while you're at it, stop inserting your kids into your comics and spend some time with them instead!

>killing off fan favourite Spiders
>including a scene where they're literally served on silver platters and eaten alive (I know they just got their life force or whatever sucked out, but you know what Slott was going for)
>as well as a cover with their heads mounted on the wall
>ruining Mayday to the extent that the best DeFalco and Frenz could do was have her accept her dad's death and make a new costume
>Peter somehow forgot about Morlun's vulnerability to radiation and failed to inspire Uncle Ben
>it was just an excuse for Slott to push Cindy and wank Otto off some more
>fun

The only fun part of the book was Miles recruiting more Spiders, and Miles' part being the only fun part is something I shouldn't be saying.

I dont know who or what youre talking about my dude
Im not into modern American comics, you got the wrong man, my name is John

Not sure about Quesadilla but with Slott he believes that "beautiful" women are vapid and he believes Peter should be with women who aren't just face value that's why he fucking makes Pete fuck his kid. It's fucking weird but thank god Slott is finally leaving the book.

Well thats your fault for actually reading his shit

I wish Slott would leave this world, but im sure heart disease will fuck his shit up soon
Fuckers bitter because he's the grossest slob of all the nerds. He can cry more though because its obviously his own fault

>as someone who doesn't read comics please spoonfeed me

Yeah, the interview read as something you in /r9k/ desu, what kind of sad sack says that Beautiful people are shallow.

>what is discussion
>on a cartoon and comic discussion board

>Slott he believes that "beautiful" women are vapid and he believes Peter should be with women who aren't just face value

This has been a good thread by Sup Forums standards, sorry we aren't discussing our favorite children's cartoon ships and fetishes instead you fucking subhuman

I think one of the main things why Slott hate's MJ is that one issue where before they got married MJ got cold feet and went inside a car of some guy ( it's never stated they fugged but some people interpret it as that), it's all pretty stupid and I can't believe that Marvel hasn't changed back OMD yet, it's been a decade and I mean look at RYV, people actually enjoy the marriage/family dynamic.

Theres some beautiful people that are huge social outcasts due to their personality. I know some gorgeous women that barely leave the house. Plus even some dopey Sup Forums guys are cute even if they dont know it
Slott is just your textbook orbiter. Hates himself so he thinks feminist women will feel sorry for him not meeting traditional standards. Hes the flipside of a female legbeard

He got into a lot of arguments on Twitter. And one of the worst situations was this one:

bleedingcool.com/2015/02/12/fanboy-rampage-dan-vs-ami/

Where someone just read a wiki entry on Superior Spider-Man and didn't even mention Dan Slott, and then Slott showed up to take a shot.

MJ has had a lot of character development since then. The only times she's ever taken a downward turn is when a writer explicitly has it out for her. Not a lot of writers know what to do with a married hero, and it shows in their history. But for all that, as a character, MJ has endured and is still a great part of the Spider-Man mythos. I'm just worried Slott has one more cruel joke regarding her before his departure.

Yep, I mean of course there are vapid Beautiful people but same can be said about ugly people.
>I'm just worried Slott has one more cruel joke regarding her before his departure.
I mean MJ pretty much shat on through the years, it's been a pathetic attempt just so that fans would hate MJ and be glad OMD happened. Shit is mad lame

>Pete must stay a manchild forever
>Meanwhile, Bat-Family is a thing
And as I said earlier Marvel doesn't understand what made immature Pete interesting anyway
It goes deeper than the pre-wedding stuff. Unlike Betty or Gwen MJ didn't care if Pete had to cancel on her, she was a hippie free spirit that would chill with any "hip" guys interchangeably, until she met "the one". Slott sees this as an indication of sluttyness because hes a manchild and actually a big fucking conservative deep down in his psyche

I've worked with quite a few models that have lead lonely lives because all anyone ever sees of them is what's on instagram. Hard to get a chance to relate to someone when they dismiss your reference to a comic or sci-fi show as you being a "fake geek girl". Not that there aren't that type out there, but there are some sweet 8-10/10s that are more genuine and kind than your average fat feminist cunt, and who can actually relate to your average /co poster. And that's aside from all the shallow guys that she passes up because they only want her for sex. Models and the "beautiful people" are a real mixed bag, just like anyone else.

I fucking hate people who like kid Peter, the whole appeal of Spider-man was to see him grow up, he's this angry kid who grew up to be a man that would have made Ben proud but instead what we get is soyPete because people are retarded.

Kid Peter works in some cases, but I'm really getting fucking tired of them thinking this is the only version of Spider-Man they can use.

Let me rephrase it then, I fucking hate people who think KidPeter should be the staple Spider-man character. Let him grow up.

We have to wait for the next gen of writers, I fear.

I want to say he's baiting but I've seen that kind of argument used on a lot of forums outside of Sup Forums.

It makes a sort of sense, "why worry so much about a fictional character", but in retrospect constant complaining about and hurled insults toward people being invested in a character..... turned out to be a defense for lazy, thoughtless writing. I think there's got to be a balance somewhere.

The thing is I think some of the current gen of writers would be willing to write a married Peter. The problem is it's mandated by higher-ups which may include Quesada and others. Ultimately the brand is at the worst I've seen in the last 10 years in spite of their spin.

Alot of you youngsters dont remember but there was a 5 year period in the 80s where MJ disappeared from Spider-man comics

I hate this argument. Why reading fiction if you're not suppose to care about a character? What an asinine way to defend your shit writing.

Ditko kid Pete was good goddammit
Its Bendis Ultimate kid Pete thats Overrated SHITE

Spectacular Cartoon Pete was best Pete.

Agreed. I have a History of going after Autist/Spergy gorgeous girls but it never works out because of their Hikki nature.

I think it's debatable. I mean while I know people like Tucker Stone or MightyGodKing were giving semi-positive reviews to Amazing Spider-Man #700 and Superior Spider-Man sold well, I know that there were people who didn't feel Slott was doing a good job, and I remembered on Something Awful's comic forum there was a lot of hostility toward Slott at least around Ends of the Earth, maybe even before that.

I think his run would cause fan arguments. There would be people who put his run along with Lee or Stern's runs but there would also be a lot of people ripping it apart in retrospect, not just the longtime fans like the ones on Crawl Space who felt getting rid of the marriage was a mistake, but also people who have the benefit of reading the entire thing together to take it in. I just don't see Slott's run as being strong the way JMS' was, and JMS was the one who had Sins Past and OMD in his run.

Everyone is so tired of this shit they can't even muster enthusiasm

Meh I can't get over the artstyle. 90s was good but that was Romita/Andru era Pete, not teen Pete
IMO 1981 pete had the best voice/personality. The other 1 season cartoon, not Amazing Friends
And yes for some reason Marvel decided to do two separate Spidey cartoons at once in the early 80s

In the context of zealous fans, I can see why someone would make that argument. There are some fans who overdo it in caring too much about a character to the point where they send death threats or whatever. So I can sort of understand that.

BUT.

Like I said, in retrospect (and I've seen it happen online for decades) that argument ended up being used to justify subpar work most of the time and that's why I now get skeptical every time someone trots out that "fans care too much about a character" argument.

Thats exactly the thing: the MJ haters working at Marvel remember 70s Vapid MJ, before her and Petes personalites bounced off each other to create situations like your image. She had good development (granted, this was because Hippies became uncool in the 80s) and they threw it all away

Yeah, I get what you're saying, it's one of the reasons why I don't involve myself with fanbases. I guess I'm just mad enough with Marvel that I don't really think straight.

>and allow things like this to be pulbished that completly insult their most popular character?

It's not just Slott that's responsible for that. It was happening back when he was just one of many writers tackling the book after One More Day.

In fact, Tom Brevoort, who's Senior VP/Editor for a while, made a manifesto of what to do on Spider-Man for Brand New Day. Notice the part about the Hard-Luck Hero. Some things sound sensible (Peter still willing to continue fighting even while he's hurt), but the idea that they should keep taking a dump on Spider-Man just because it happened in the Stan Lee run is just fucking stupid. Have you noticed how many times people overdid it with humiliating Spider-Man in the last 10 years? After a while it goes from being kinda funny to being fucking unbearable no matter how many contrived justifications they do.

Also keep in mind Brevoort was the editor on Millar's Civil War and Bendis' Secret Empire and having to correct Millar and Bendis on a lot of really stupid things, but he was also the editor on Bendis' Iron Man, Spencer's Captain America, Civil War II, and Secret Empire.

Also bear in mind that Brevoort is the Marvel editor who openly admitted that Marvel's story policy was "Piss off the readers so they buy our stuff".

Here you go

Because of white guilt. They want to be on the right side of history that they will try possibly any thing to show they arent racsist sexist and all the other -ists.
Its not just gender politics, its identity politics. Politics ruin everything that is made for entertainment and art, because art is supposed tp be free and people bog it down with what they think is the right way to go, when in art there is none.

That got crazy fast.

Slott didn't doxx that guy. Slott posted a "joke" that that guy's account was secretly his sock puppet account. Then all the people on the board who hated Slott's work started shit posting that guy and acting like a dick to him thinking he was Slott. The guy's wife reached out to Slott and asked him to come back to the message board to sort it all out. And he did. There was no doxxing.

To be fair people who were foaming from the mouth of Steve going Hydra are people who just watch movies.

That is true, but based on the logic of what he said, angry fans, even angry MCU fans, should be interested in the comic.

The sales didn't work out.

I mean for sure, you can't really expect people you intentionally piss off to buy your shit. Also imo the only reason why HydraCap really caught on was the FCBD issue. "comic"fans on twitter and tumblr were posting pics of them burning the issue. Honestly I'm more ticked off how Secret Empire ended, really? an inhuman that can barf a piece of the cosmic cube? Also are they never gonna address the fact that the Steve we have now isn't the real Steve but just an image of what Kobik thinks what Steve is? Inhumans tacked this issue with Reader and that inhuman rabbit chick.

This, but I enjoyed him growing up from ditko phase

>Bobbi
>Extreme feminist
Jesus you thin skinned baby.

They've been apart for 11 years, can you just fucking stop whining for one fucking day?

Someone's got a case of the Blueballs.

Slott's entire run makes us Spiderfans look like absolute retards.
>Dan Slott makes a shit sandwich
>He tells everyone he made a shit sandwich
>He tells you that you're so stupid that you'll eat the shit sandwich
>Fans eat the shit sandwich anyways, then whine that it takes like shit
>Rinse and repeat

It's baffling to me. We (as a whole) almost deserve it now, and it makes me sad.

We need some sort of alternate universe split, one where peter stays a high schooler while in the other he grows up.

t. triggered feminist

Oi, brainlet, if you can seriously tell me that this shit is acceptable in any way, then you need to either reconsider all of your life choices or do the rest of us a favor and jump off a cliff.

Discussion is good. But OP is a faggot.

Not hard to make it a high selling spider book when its the ONLY spider book.

JMS run was more impressive for being high selling when spidey was pulling 3 other titles.

Spider-man didn't get shit on much at all in Stan Lees run. Goddamn just because he struggled SOMETIMES doesn't mean he suffered and got shat on like he does now. Hell back then most of his problems were relatable college kid problems.
Fuckin Marvel cant even read their own backlog