Anyone else notice that a load of korra criticism has popped up on youtube lately? Or at least analysis?

Anyone else notice that a load of korra criticism has popped up on youtube lately? Or at least analysis?
I'm not surprised by the fact that people are criticising it, but more because people have randomly decided to do videos on it like, almost 4 years later since it ended.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fP90vyZWuxo
youtube.com/watch?v=q_X2pCjgjXA
youtube.com/watch?v=qwPCd1D2tZA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The ending was shit

Is it because it's official continuation got another release just last month?

They're running out of ideas and it's safer to criticize it now than when Korrasami defense force was more active.

I dunno, but I agree with most of E;R's review.

Volume 2 of the comic came out and the writing was pretty rough, even for Korra.

>Naga still hasn't shown up
>Raiko went from being an inexperienced politician trying to look out for his country to some cartoon villain
>Korra has regressed in some ways to her book 1 self
>Asami is kidnapped at one point and Korra doesn't think to use the spirit vines to find her like she did with Wan
>Wan has also mysteriously disappeared but that's not really a loss in my book
>Raiko tells the people of Republic City that Korra went on vacation with Asami while they were all homeless and they are, understandably, upset with Korra
>Korra, for some reason, can't understand that and I think Mike must know they fucked up there because the counterargument is literally "KORRA DON'T LISTEN TO THEM"
>the art has somehow gotten worse

Oh and I think the funniest part of the comic is a few pages address the foot shortage and how the lower classes are becoming frustrated, and then the next scene is Korra waiting for Asami at a fancy restaurant for a date.

>Korra, the champion of everyone except the poor

this nigga gets it
if the youtube celebs dont talk, people forget about them. and they cant let people forget that they exist!!

>Wan
I meant Wu. Oops.

Most of the criticisms are retarded, TLOK is a fine show overall
But we're talking about the type of people who think Gravity Falls is the best modern cartoon so it's safe to disregard them altogether

ATLA comics were dogshit too

/thread

Normies have no idea that decent cartoons that aren't ATLA and its horrid "sequel" actually exist, because cartoons are for kids. So there are no other shows like that for YouTubers to discuss.

Still my favourite character in the show.

I'd only consider The Search and Smoke and Shadow to be truly bad, the rest are forgettably passable.

If you actually, seriously think that Gravity Falls and LOK are remotely in the same fucking galaxy in quality... the best-case scenario is that you've simply been deluded by LOK's anime artstyle.

That's literally half of them.

That's not saying much. He's leagues better than anyone else in the show.

That's two out of five.

Two plus two make five, user.

now that every show has at least one gay couple. Its ok to shit on em if they were written or done poorly.
Unfortunately in TLOK case they were written poorly

TLOK >>>>> GF
Gravity Falls has NOTHING. Average to subpar animation, mediocre nothing characters, and there was just no attempt to make the show interesting. It was shallow, safe, boring. But people ate it up because, unlike TLOK, they had no expectations whatsoever and was more than happy to watch 22 minutes of gnomes playing mini-golf or Dipper trying to prove his manliness to er "manotaurs."

Korra may've ultimately botched a lot of their plotlines (like Gravity Falls), but at least the show actually has: interesting stuff worth discussing, exciting fight scenes, handful of genuinely good characters, excellent OST and general sound design.

>one bad show is better than another bad show
real bold statement your going with there my friend

Can you link to some of them?

>interesting stuff worth discussing
Unlike both GF and its own predecessor, LOK has nothing worth discussing other than the exact reasons for it being so fucking bad.
>exciting fight scenes
Is this a joke? GF wasn't about fight scenes, but LOK fucked up just about every one it had because the stakes were below zero, even if the animation was decent (it wasn't always).
>handful of genuinely good characters
Now you've got to be trolling. Literally everyone knows that LOK has no good characters at all, as the show somehow even managed to ruin the existing, well-written ones from ATLA. GF OTOH features some fucking amazing major characters, and surprisingly fun minor ones.
>excellent OST
GF's OST is epic, while LOK's seriously drops the ball from ATLA. It sounds like one of those background CD collections you'd buy from the sampler rack back in the day. And as a bonus, GF's soundtrack has actually been released.
>and general sound design
You're gonna have to be more specific, but I can't think of anything GF didn't do at least as well - and generally better - in this department.
>GF
>bad
Fuck off.

It's time to hit the kids that grew up watching it.

>still in denial that Gravity Falls was bad
user its ok tons of stuff is bad, in fact most stuff is bad there is nothing wrong with liking and enjoying a bad show, at this point I'm not sure when the last time I actually watched a good cartoon show was

although there is something wrong with thinking your bad show is secretly a masterpiece and that everyone else is just a hater

No I didn't notice, but I'm one of the few non-autistic Sup Forumsmrades who spends every waking minute nitpicking over Legend of Korra so I have an excuse to bitch, so I wouldn't.

>although there is something wrong with thinking your bad show is secretly a masterpiece and that everyone else is just a hater
There is nothing wrong with realizing that Sup Forums doesn't have any taste at all. (It's not even shit, Sup Forums just bandwagons without critical thinking.)

I mean GF as a whole was not shit, nor was Korra

but the both had some pretty shit episodes, but to be fair, what fucking show doesn't

GF didn't have any shit episodes.
>inb4 RA
>inb4 WMp2
Fuck you, they were great. Especially the latter.

From a pragmatic standpoint criticizing Korra is fucking stupid, should be criticizing the schlock airing today. Korra is far from a masterpiece but it's a thousand times more ambitious than western animated shows. Korra is held to a way way higher standard than other shows. And I understand it's because it's the successor to ATLA, but Korra and ATLA are such a rare breed. It's like criticizing the Olympic swimmer for getting bronze while everyone else is drowning in the kiddie pool.

This. Korra's no longer the hot new progressive thing anymore so people are willing to shit on it now.

but my headcanon

Olympic swimmers train a fucking to get up there user. Korra rode Aang's dick all the way and then she shat on it

But, that's not right, it's stupid to compare Korra to TTG. Sure, you could say Korra is about a 6/10 and TTG is a 2/10 so Korra is better than TTG, but it's far more productive to compare Korra to shows that have more in common. Being heavily serialized story driven action/drama, but it in the camp with shows like ATLA, BTAS, TT, Generator Rex, and a crap ton of anime. And while a few contrarians would say otherwise, pretty much all of them do what Korra does but better. Especially in the case of the original ATLA, because they have mostly the same premise, the (kind of) same magic system, and technically the same world, and because of this, it's the most apt baseline for comparing Korra, and Korra simply doesn't hold up against it.

And even judging Korra in a vacuum, as in, comparing it to nothing. It's still just kind of a boring watch, the characters aren't really that interesting, the story is pretty stupid, the animation is fantastic but good luck getting to those moments where it really shines between all the other elements of the story, and sometimes it can be just plain irritating.

It's not the worst show ever but it's not at all fun to watch, you'd be better off just looking at the webms of the fights.

Witchcuck spotted.

>the Love God episode
>good

Surely you jestin'.

Because analyzing ambitious cartoons is more interesting than analyzing run of the mill ones. Korra has more to dissect than The Loud House.

I enjoyed it

>and its own predecessor
AtLA was painfully unoriginal and impressively worse than anime

Yeah, I've noticed too and that actually is pretty weird. It's like the endless shitposting war here has gone mainstream.

>TLOK has nothing worth discussing
Characters like Amon, Zaheer, Kuvira actually brought up things that are interesting to discuss. Zaheer and the interest he brought to the series completely dwarfs literally anything in GF. "B-but Bill was an interesting character" wrong. I'm still disappointed about him.

>GF wasn't about fight scenes
Did I say it was? I said "average to subpar animation" not "it has shitty fight scenes."

>Literally everyone knows that LOK has no good characters at all
Tenzin is a better character than anyone in Gravity Falls. Same with Lin. Same with Zaheer. I'm gonna get shit on for this, but Korra is a way better protagonist than Dipper AKA the most standard protagonist I've ever witnessed. Etc. Most interesting character GF has is arguably fucking Pacifica of all people.
>GF features some fucking amazing major characters
Like? At most, Stanley was the only fine character. Until the finale ripped apart his character.
youtube.com/watch?v=fP90vyZWuxo

>GF's OST is epic
I don't think it has a bad soundtrack. I like the main theme and the BGM that accompanies Bill. But I didn't like the overall sound design. I hate that stupid high tension violin sound bite they use in every episode.

TLOK had a better soundtrack overall, just not as good as ATLA. I like how the characters have specific BGMs. Take Bolin's heroic fanfare for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=q_X2pCjgjXA
Or the Red Lotus melody:
youtube.com/watch?v=qwPCd1D2tZA

And it's not like I wanted GF to be bad. I was really looking forward to Not What He Seems. But than after the twin reveal, and Weirdmageddon...I just look back at the show like: uh so what was so good about this? And aside from humour there's NOTHING. It's so painfully average. But I can look back at TLOK and, despite my problems with it, see good in it. Especially compared to other modern cartoons.

that webm makes me sad in so many way

A show doesn't have to be the embodiment of amazing in order for it to be watchable. As long as you can enjoy it, it's still good. Except Korra. Korra's shit.

(Also the twin reveal was built up over the previous episodes, it didn't just come out of nowhere.)

I know there was a ton of foreshadowing and basically everyone on the Internet was saying he had a twin, but I expected more from the Gravity Falls big mystery than just "oh he has a secret twin." The only other mysteries we got were like "why is Gravity Falls weird?" and "wtf is Bill Cipher and what does he want?" and if you think we got satisfying answers to those than idk what to tell you.

>Unlike GF
What is there more to talk about regarding GF than TLOK? They're both bad, they both have subpar writing, they both have unlikable characters. This isn't to say these things aren't worth talking about, but if you can't talk about the myriad of mistakes they make then discussion of the show becomes nonsensical.
>Is this a joke? GF wasn't about fight scenes
He didn't say it was, he said TLOK had good fight scenes. GF, not being about action had none.
>LOK fucked up just about every one it had because the stakes were below zero
Of all the complaints in TLOK this one makes no sense.
>Literally everyone knows that LOK has no good characters at all
Characters like Bolin, and that Varik (Varek?) were fun and likable. Bolin was actually quite a competent character, though underused.
>GF OTOH features some fucking amazing major characters and surprisingly fun minor ones.
Name 1? Stan had some fine jokes but even then his character wasn't that interesting.
>GF's OST is epic, while LOK's seriously drops the ball from ATLA. It sounds like one of those background CD collections you'd buy from the sampler rack back in the day
I don't know how to respond to this, you've said a few things that are just completely untrue.

Sure, but the secret twin brother was a completely anticlimactic answer to the question of the author and was basically completely handwaved. With such a mundane answer with so little reason to have been made out to be some incredibly big secret it was a complete letdown, but so was most of the show, so it works out.

Name ONE show airing now that's better than AtLA book 2.

it may be a surge of cartoon criticism videos in general brought on by the backlash against SU

75% of the show was shit

>ATLA comics were dogshit too
At least we fucking found out what happened to Zuko's goddamn mother. LoK pissed me off in the first episode with that bait and switch joke.

Quatro quads don't lie.

>Korra and ATLA are such a rare breed.
Yeah, ATLA is the purebred and LoK is the inbred child

Even my quads have quads
It's a quad squad

I'd prefer being left to our imagination than what we got.

It just pisses me off. Tease the Zuko mom plot multiple times, but oh it's the 1st avatar we'll go out of our way to explain (and ruin)

Amon should've been an energybender and the protagonist of his own show.

it's going through what happened with the star wars prequels, people loved it at first but now as time passes people are noticing that it's not as good as they thought it were

i can't really disagree with any of this but I'd argue Fiddleford is more interesting than Pacifica

>people loved the prequels at first
lies

It was considered divisive at the time and continues to do so. ive been seeing some criticism poppin up about the last airbender recently

i think wan added a lot of depth to the series, that aside some plots should have stayed mysteries like zukos mom. i didnt think about it till they brought it up in korra

Thatnks for the summery. I havnt looked at the comics since Zuko's and Azula's fire knife fight.
>Raiko tells the people of Republic City that Korra went on vacation with Asami while they were all homeless and they are, understandably, upset with Korra
this is one thing I kinda like though. Not everyone thinks its great to have a bunch of ethereal hobos annexing your home, especially after said hobos bitched out of helping defend the city they were annexing

>Anyone else notice that a load of korra criticism has popped up on youtube lately? Or at least analysis?

Not really. The show has been over for a few years now; critics can better judge the show for its failings and successes since they have more "critical distance" between the end of the show's run and now. Think of it this way: If you were to go back to your favorite/least-favorite episode of BTAS after having not watched it for years, you would be able to better analyze and critique that episode based on any knowledge and experience you have gained in the interim as well as the "critical distance" from your initial viewing (and thus your original reactions to it).

I'll even give you a personal example. "Spaceballs" was one of my favorite movies when I was growing up. Loved the shit out of it. Well, more than a few years passed since I had watched the movie in full, so when I picked up the DVD and had a chance to watch it all over again, I noticed how flawed the film was in terms of its humor. (Mel Brooks reportedly said the line "Ready, Kafka?" is the worst joke he ever wrote.) His earlier works - "Young Frankenstein" specifically - hold up so much better than "Spaceballs". I mean, I can still enjoy the film, but it does feel like a bit of a slog to me whenever I try.

I'm guessing that a fair number of people now feel the same way about "Korra" since they've had time to process the show, get past their initial reactions, and better judge the show for both its merits and its failings. If anything, the timing for such critique is perfect.

I haven't actually. Are any of these analysis videos good? I'm always down to watch Korra get railed, mainly the second season

Nothing after Book 3 of ATLA should be considered canon, not even any of the pre-Korra comics

>I'm always down to watch Korra get railed

Phrasing.

I know what I said

its not recent. its youtube algorithm.
you probably searched something similar and youtube dropped korra criticism in your list.

>airing now
Oh come on user, that's completely ridiculous.
ATLA Book 2 is itself ancient in cartoon years.

here is a secret about youtube, it recomends you the same crap you have been watching over and over again, so its entirely on you.

isn't it just E;R fans aping his style?

Yeah. Season 3 was the only good season, all things considered.

>it recomends you the same crap you have been watching over and over again

Only if you let it track your history/you mark videos as "Liked". Stop your history and refuse to rate videos, and YouTube leaves your shit alone.

It happens even when you're not logged in (and cleared your browsing history), you fucking retard.

Not to me. Like, I literally have no "Liked" videos on my account and I both nuked and paused my YouTube history. I don't get recommended videos at all.

Honestly, the rest is pretty much on par with the quality of Avatar comics in general.

The rushed art just makes the writing flaws stand out more.

You have to pay close attention to the right-hand sidebar. The occasional video will still say "Recommended for you", I've tested this many times under the conditions I listed and it happens.

The "SO PROGRESSIVE" honeymoon grace is ending so people don't bother going YOU JUST HATE GAYS if you point out that it is shit as much anymore.

With time even the most "progressive" thing for its time will be called "NOT PROGRESSIVE ENOUGH"

I have saw many reviews that didnt go the lowkey Sup Forums dog whistleing that E;R did .... still mostly funny overall though

My only expectation was consistant characters, that grow "naturally". LoK couldn't even do that.

I'm not saying GF is good or bad, but it clearly had more interest from viewers going by ratings. And while i personally found Zaheer interesting the season with him in it didn't even reach ratings of GF reruns. So it's false to say LoK villains brought interest that dwarfed GF.

The ethereal hobos (spirits i assume), don't want to stay either apparently. But i'm sure they'll be proved wrong so Korra can be right.

I've noticed that there are alot of recent reaction channels getting on the Atla/Korra watching. Might have something to do with that, since their audiences will be interested aswell, so critique videos might get more views because of it.

I wonder if they replace the artist if they decide to make more comics since the artist apparently complained about the schedule and the pay. Guess the fans on her tumblr are willing to pay more for her shit art.

Don't they have anything better to do?

It was a deeply flawed show but I didn't think it was as horrible as some of those videos make it out to be.

Don't you?

I liked Bolin and wished he was the protagonist. He actually learned from his mistakes and went to war to unify a nation.

That's like saying teen titans go is superior to GF in every way due to ratings

Can't deny the facts user

Wasn't talking about superiority. Just that more people found GF more interesting than Zaheer, going by ratings.

Ratings =/= an interesting show
It's not like more people watched TTG than GF because they find it a more interesting show

It's an indicator though. It makes sense that people would tune in to watch interesting shows and thus increase ratings.

teen titans go is far better than 2/10, I will never understand why it gets shit on so endlessly

what backlash?

You'd understand if you'd watch it

Well, there's a lot of factors that go into ratings. It wouldn't be surprising if GF had more views than TLOK just because of how Nick handled TLOK—constant huge leaks and bad scheduling and little advertisement. Plus Gravity Falls probably appeals to a larger demographic.

But I actually just looked at the US viewership for both shows and...TLOK clearly has more?

Regardless views don't mean much. You got to look at the actual quality of the show and come to your own conclusions.

I do watch it, and I like it.

Exactly, she’s nothing more than a neoliberal guard dog for the bourgeoisie. She only cares about herself and who she likes like an egotistical bitch.

TloK book 1 had great viewership. Book 3 had horrible by comparison. I saw that GF had a rerun of tale of two stans reach 1.9 mill views. That's more than Book 3 had on it's best episodes with ratings. And while viewership isn't a measure of quality, it is one measure of interest in a show. Since lack of interest would result in fewer viewers.

My only problem that started this was that someone claimed Zaheer generated more interest in LoK, and that this interest dwarfed GF. Which is just false.

Zaheer might be a better character, or present more developed ideas. And he might be more interesting to me. But he was clearly not interesting enough to carry book 3 above GF in viewership.