The Civil War Over Poison Ivy at DC Comics

bleedingcool.com/2018/02/11/civil-war-poison-ivy-dc-comics/

>Basically the portrayal of Poison Ivy varies from book to book, but her zealot fans go apeshit every time time she does something villainous, like the War of Jokes and Riddles flashback, where they started to harass Tom King over it

>The new Batman Arc will again have her as a villain, with Catwoman and Batman trying to stop her

I expect these zealot Poison Ivy fans (calling themselves the Poison Ivy League) will again lose their shit, harass Tom King and basically request these comics are struck from canon, just like a bunch of people want The Last Jedi struck from the Star Wars canon.

I don't think they harassed him. As I recall King asked readers to not harass them. I don't always agree with them but I haven't seen them harassing King.

Yea kinda fake news. "Harrass" now means nothing.

They're not Ivy fans, they're retarded shipperfags and stupid fangirls. Didn't do nuthin Ivy is one of the most bullshit things to happen since anti-hero Harley, because autist fangirls do mental gymnastics to self insert. She's not a misunderstood anti hero saving the world, she's an Eco terrorist who wants mutant plants covering the planet. Not every goddamn villain needs to be redeemable when they get popular. Furthermore, Ivy stuck as a rug muncher for Harley has done her no favors, leaving her in complete limbo.

Why complain that a murderous villain is being written as a murderous villain? As a long time fan, the only complaint I have is that Ivy showing skin as often as she used to.

>IvyLeague
You know she's one of Sup Forums's punching bags right?

This will be another good story idea but with shit execution by King, right?

*isn't

Oh, you mean character fags went full retarded? Who would have thought?!

She should be a villain.

What is it with Batman fans being like this?
You had the Steph coplayer going around a con bitching at Q&As that weren't even about Batman.
Dickfags on tumblr had a whole fiasco about Grayson and even took to twitter to harass Seeley over it during a date of his and then got mad when he wanted to continue with his date.
Cassfags in general.
And now this.

>the only complaint I have is that Ivy showing skin as often as she used to.
That's because Janin is a lazy fuck and didn't bother to check if her costume changed or anything. She was last seen wearing a costume similar to her pre-flashpoint one in Trinity and All-Star Batman, but is in her New52 suit in this

I could be wrong, but isn't this article written by the same shit write that was claiming EVS and Malin were harassing people on twitter when all evidence stated otherwise?

Only zealots care which costume she’s in
But as someone who doesn’t give a shit I still agree that Janin’s art was lazy and bad

Jesus, that 3D model trace art/shading is giving me US War Machine flashbacks

This. Ivy just wants every last human turned to fertilizer. Sure, she tolerates Harley, but when it comes down to it, Ivy will gladly feed the clown to her plants and think nothing of it because in the end, she's just another meatbag to be put to death.

she hasn't been a villain for at least a decade

You are describing the Schumacher film. Comics Ivy is more complex. I don't mind Ivy commiting crimes if they serve a purpose but the story you describe would be boring as fuck.

>implying any of these people have ever read comics

>You are describing the Schumacher film.

Not really. Schumacher Ivy was ready to abandon her plans for frosty dick.

I don't get the hate Ivyleague gets. I'm following her and even have talked about my views about the character. She's OK, never caused me any trouble and even RTed some of my stuff. I don't always agree with her but she has some good points.

Do I have to post the panel of the guy dissolving in the orchid? Stop pretending Ivy gives a shit about humanity. She's like Swamp Thing's stupid groupie who fucks everything up for The Green. She values flora over fauna every day of the week

At least with Last Jedi it's shit. They're more like HEAT but instead of just seething and muttering "one day..." they combine it with social media psychosis.

Hey man chill out. You know she's not real, right?

DC dug their own grave when they made Harley and Ivy an official couple. That was so dumb. Those crazy Ivy shippers won't settle for anything that paints Ivy in any bad light now.

The Mad King doing it !

Cassfags at least have every right to be pissed considering how thoroughly the character was destroyed. Also you're leaving out Jasonfags who want him to be bisexual (i.e. gay). If you'll notice all of these groups consist largely of women minus Cassfags who are just upset waifufags.

holy shit are you serious? How can you be stupid enough that the plot of fucking Schumacher Batman goes over your head?

Are you new here?

You are describing the plot of Batman and Robin.

Ivy League is fine. I was talking about the people who go on autistic tirades about how Ivy should be an inhuman murdering psychopath, like she's Killer Frost or something. They're the same people who insist that Harley is a powerless retard that should only exist to get the shit beaten out of her- they're secondaries who have a fundamental misunderstanding of the characters and haven't bothered to follow how the comics have developed.

Batman is the most popular so he attracts the most crazies.

People think no powers = more relateable sometimes too, so that helps the ancillary characters be more popular than say, Superboy.

Most said women are basically just gender inveted waifufags. It's most prevalent with Grayson since they were worried about their husbando being sullied by women who aren't their self insert (Babs) and him turning into a slut.

*gender inverted waifufags

Don't give attention to this sensationalist bullshit. It's just typical inconsistent characterization at DC, and some idiots getting mad about it.

The last Jedi was garbage, fuck you.

Development my ass, and you just made it clear you don't follow comics because Killer Frost isn't a psychopath anymore. You want a reformed Harley? That's great, but she wouldn't be Harley anymore, she'd be Doctor Quinzel. You're trying to have your cake, and eat it too. Every time Harley meets a hero now, they blatantly ignore the murders and other crimes she still commits. If love to read Dr Quinzel being a hero therapist, but then she wouldn't be the hammer whacking meme character casuals eat up. Hell White Knight has a better Harley.

As for Ivy, she's not some Mr Freeze either. I'd like it if she was more scientist doing actual good, but again she can't be that right now sadly

>comics Ivy is more inconsistent
FTFY. I personally enjoy Human bitch Poison Ivy personality more where she has no pretension of caring for others.

I'm glad that Dini helped fix her after what Moore and Rucka did to derail her in the 1990s, though he did fuck up with Riddler.

Doesn’t Swamp Thing actually think she’s a crazy bitch?

Right but for the most part Cassfags bitch but leave it at that. Ivyfags, Dickfags, Jasonfags, Stephfags, etc. combine the insanity of women on social media with the insanity of fujoshits into a giant shit storm.

Moore never wrote Poison Ivy. Also if you are talking about that plant monster story, it is crap.

AFAIK He has a low opinion of her and the floronic man. At best, he sees them as well-intentioned but misguided, since the green can only thrive when there's balance between humanity and the earth, and that won't work if everyone is dead.

>Character's powers and gimmick are being built around them being a serial date-rapist
>fans are mad as hell that she's being portrayed as a villain

If Ivy was a dude, we'd be calling him roofie-man or something, this really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

John Francis Moore

Caitlin is a completely different Killer Frost you illiterate retard. I'm not even reading the rest of your fucking post.

You described the purple man, and arguably Ivy's plant control is her most important power nowadays

I just want Ivy to go back to being an actual character and not just Harley’s side chick.

So why don't writers make the Purple Man out to be a heroic figure?

She should never become a full hero. She can have moments of heroism, sure, but her mental illness would overtake her most of the time. She could really be a complex character in the right hands.

Because he has a penis

Then show me where the fuck Louise has popped up recently in comics, moron.
>I'm not reading the rest
Way to show how much of a big baby you are when you can't form a proper argument

I never said it wasn't as I also think it's garbage -- I'm not going all apeshit on social media or on change.org demanding Disney to remove it from canon tho.

People here need to understand that Harley is stuck being Ivy's pal/occasional girlfriend forever (or for a very long time) since that's part of her character now and getting rid of her would cause a lot of problems that DC doesn't want to get into. There's was a time when that wasn't the case, where a writer could have get rid of Harley and create a minimal of fuss about it from fans but that time has passed long ago and now it's hard to separate them both for a long time, some writer has to have a Harley reference put into Ivy's stories (and so viceversa)

I thought the Ivy league was just a very active faggot

Are there any female villains left or are they all getting this "gotta make them into antiheroes" treatment?

Better question, why do people only bitch when female villains are turned into antiheroes, antivillains, and heroes and not when male villains are put through the same thing?
Clayface is the only character Sup Forums likes in 'Tec and literally every major batvillain but Joker has been good or somewhat good at some point.

The IvyLeague person is very active, but there's other people that join her on twitter -- I remember someone pestering King with an article they wrote for either Mary Sue or Women Write About Comics and how he did Ivy a dirty for showing her as a killer during the War of Jokes and Riddles flashback.

They were like "you better read this Mr. King as you appear to not understand Poison Ivy"

A bunch, but they're not really A-List.

If there's a 100 male villains and 5 female villains and 4/5 of the female ones and half of the male ones are turned not-completely-villainous people still only bitch about the female ones.

She's not complex, DC is just confused about who she is.

It amazes me that people still don’t understand how comics work. Different writers are going to write the same character differently. Don’t be a characterfag.

This

I'm still not sold on Clayface being good, which is starting to unravel anyway. It should have been Freeze, at least then he'd be out of that rut and moved on

Spreading shit about comics they don't buu

>just like a bunch of people want The Last Jedi struck from the Star Wars canon.
Unlike posion ivy fags those people are completly in the right

*buy

Exactly, inconsistent isn't complex

Freeze sucks balls and should just die
He has that one story and nothing else

Bullshit

She’s a friend, I’m sending her this thread.

Anyone have that panel where Ivy wants to be the 1# villain?

Comics running simultaneously in the same continuity shouldn't do that.

Harley shouldn't work at all. I mean, we're expected to believe she's around all the time, have her own title, hang with the birds of prey... while she's also an inmate at Bellreve and working for Amanda Waller?

That's her first appearance. I can storytime it because it's short:

Her solo isn't real.

She is mentally ill though

>varies from book to book
and this is different from every other capeshit character how?

The thirst is real

It's not? I'm sure DC published it and was written by Palmiotti and Conner.

Was it a what if? All Just A Dream?

Ivy has been inconsistent for at least 10 years.

>Better take a cold shower
God damn Robin.

They've never actually said that it isn't canon. People just assume it isn't because it has characters like Powergirl in it, and she's either on Earth-2, or trapped between worlds like in Deathstroke

The only consistent thing about Ivy is her being tied up to the hip with Harley

Because Marvel doesn't think they could get away with it, especially considering his on-screen pedigree. It was almost explicitly shown from the beginning that Purple Man's victims are generally aware of what's happening to them on some level, while most of Poison Ivy's victims are either immediately and totally brainwashed until they're suddenly cured or die soon after being controlled.

Nah, fuck that. Face Turning a Clayface is fine, if they need a villainous Clayface, they can just create another new one. There's been like 6 Clayfaces. Let one of them be a good guy.

Especially since Johns appears to be fucking up Batman's traditional shapeshifter buddy Metamorpho with Doomsday Clock.

Metamorpho's in Doomsday Clock? I haven't read that yet, but isn't he supposed to be in The Terrifics?

Conners admitted that they didn't really pay attention to the canon while writing her solo. So the book's kinda in this weird limbo like Burnside Batgirl where it's not explicitly an Elseworld or non-canon, but at the same time ignores everything else in the DCU and can be ignored in turn.

I feel like this is just classic Rich, trying to start some shit for the sake of starting shit.

The end. I don't think she made an appearance until a full decade later, in a story starring Wonder Woman

Well they could always just split Clayface and Karlo into two separate beings. After all, he's just clay, and he has split personality/DID. They've also have been giving Lady Clayface a push lately for whatever reason

Numbers.
There's still plenty of male villains left, while I sometimes struggle to think of some irredeemably evil women in capeshit. Granny Goodness and who else, really?
Plus recidivism kicks in more often with the men. Remember when Riddler was a good guy? It was fun, but we all accepted it wouldn't last forever. Nor should it.