How incompetent do you have to be to fuck up at adapting a Dr. Seuss book?

How incompetent do you have to be to fuck up at adapting a Dr. Seuss book?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BpgUQYARIsw
youtube.com/watch?v=8V06ZOQuo0k
youtube.com/watch?v=DKKA3M-2sJc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Only good Dr. Seuss movie is "Horton hears a Who".

But it's something a kindergartner could do.

>Okay, Billy. What do you think the Lorax book was about?

Nobody outside of America gives a flying fuck about Dr.Seuss, for starters.

>Adapting a short picture book into a full feature length movie
Seriously, do not fucking do that.

Shrek is a freak exception, the book itself was obscure as all hell and the film mostly went into doing it's own thing.

How to Train Your Dragon made massive changes to the way the story from the books was told, but even the author felt that the films kept the spirit/intent of their work intact...just... more flying visually breathtaking dragon stuff instead of talking dragon shenanigans.

yeah, the How to Train Your Dragon books are definitely waaaaaay different

Wow johnny test looked wayyy different

Ah yes, movies based on executives kid's favorite children book.

I'm actually so fucking mad at Boss Baby because the picture book is not the same thing AT ALL and is 200% more enjoyable than the movie

also Storks isn't based on any book at all

Storks was a fun movie though. And wasn't based on a book.

i know it was the only BB picture i had atm.

also Storks was fun but only because of Wolves, who's gonna replace them in Smallfoot?
Any hints?

you have to have the real cynical humor that illumination has, killing someone's dog is their kind of humor, i expect character assassination from further movies like the grinch and the mario movie

Ikr that anime scene looked just like it did in the book

Oh wait

She wants the shota

>we'll get one pandering seuss movie after another
>we'll never get a Stinky Cheese Man cinematic universe where the ISBN guy finally gets exposed

Well for starters, you have to be either Universal and/or Illumination.

holy shit i need to find my copy of this book

Pffft, No way fag

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is generally considered to be a good movie, despite the original book just being a few pages of "and food fell from the sky".

Well it’s a Lord/Miller project, of course it’s good.

>the boy who listens to the Onceler's story and receives the last Truffula seed is now a kid who's only into saving the trees cuz he thinks he'll eventually get to fuck the town manic pixie dream Who
I could swear this movie was trying to annoy me.

That's the thing. The more vague a children's book is, the more creative freedom the writers eventually have.
For something like Cloudy, Shrek, or Jumanji, this puts forth a lot of potential for a writer to test his storytelling skills without worrying about contradicting anything, and usually produces a good movie.
When you get into specific stories meant to say something, like The Lorax there are three options for the writer: 1. set your pride aside make a full-blown translation of the source material in a filmable format (The Snowman) 2. have enough skill to creatively weave your own version of the points the author was making, while capturing the spirit of the original (Paddington) or 3. don't give a shit and write whatever you want (Peter Rabbit, every Dr. Seuss adaptation).
Too fucking many writers pick the third option, because it's the easiest, and it's the plague of virtually all adapted works, especially video games.

Damn good book.

How can you stretch any Dr Seuss book long enough to justify a wide release without ruining the source material?

>ywn read The Boy Who Cried Cow Patty

Being better than shit =/= good

>only good feature length Dr. Seuss movie is "Horton Hears a Who"

fixed it for you, the old Grinch and Lorax shorts were great

GINGER manic pixie dream girl. Also: >Implying you wouldn't

Huh, good question. All I can think of is a Sneetches movie where you rip off the racism allegory in Zootopia.

#BlankLivesMatter, star children.

Best book. Best movie.

I unironically agree that Howard's Grinch was a good movie.

Is there something about it that makes it easy?

None of the movies ate accurate to the books, they just make up their own stories with the characters.

How does that not give them MORE opportunities to fuck up

I actually loved it.

>implying you wouldn't do her

Holy fuck I forgot this shit existed

Carrey absolutely fucking carries it

So does Jeffrey Tambor.
I also wanted to fuck the shit out of Martha May. Christine Baranski isn't attractive to me in anything else.

I'm buying it right now

Eh, yeah I would.

Although the more I think about this character, the more she kinda bugs me. What exactly is she in this movie for? To get more females in The Lorax? I'm fine with that, but they still fucked up. A female character who's here to give the male MC motivation and to be his reward for saving the day? Yeah, pretty sure Tumblr feminists looooved that.

Here's a thought. Why not make her the MC? Replace the boy from the Lorax with her. Hell, she's the one who likes Truffula trees, have her be the one to go on the trip and listen to the Onceler's story and stuff. 'Twould be a little better than turning the boy into one of those guys who thinks he can fuck this hippie chick if he tells her he's a vegan.

It's that fucking christmas dress she's wearing when she lights up the house isn't it?

I know that's what did it for 10 year old me

Yes, user. Yes it was exactly that Christmas dress.

Only good Dr. Seuss Movie is "Triumph of the Will".

Fucking liberals man.

Normally I'm hesitant on that kind of thing, but the kid in the Lorax who hears the tale had so little characterization or role the original book, that it's still almost drawing a full character on a blank slate, so I'd say go for it.

Yeah but it had gay couples getting babies. No dice for me on that shit.

>Not the grinch
Someonw has been watching too much Nostalgia Critic

>Rated R

i'm sorry what

I really enjoyed boss baby. My 3 year old can't get enough of it either

I still never understood the appeal of that bald talentless fuck when he actually and unironically thought the cartoon cat in Last Action Hero was supposed to be taken seriously.
He went through that whole review thinking that LAH wasn't meant to be a lampoon of action movie tropes and that the cat was specifically jabbing at late-sequel shit like the robot in Rocky 4.

They're those poorly-made bootleg custom DVD covers.
They often get details like that wrong, especially the ones in the lower end of the quality scale.

This was actually great.
One of my favorite Disney animated films of all time, even if it's not as great as Treasure Planet or The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I'm with this guy. Fuck propaganda

Well, they hired Taylor Swift.

So...pretty damn stupid.

this too?!

wow.

Start of the end credits even say it's based on The Iron Man by Ted Hughes.

He also allegedly said Fembusters was better than Ghostbusters 2.

Now that's how to lose an audience.

Jesus H Christ.
Makes me even more mad considering I loved Ghostbusters 2.

Also most of his reviews are just him watching something while making unfunny non-sequiters and references then sometimes giving a tiny bit of his views on the thing. Kinda like if you were watching a group of unfunny high-schoolers trying to make their own Mystery Science Theater 3000.

At least other reviewers actually go into detail to explain the problems with what their reviewing.

His Disneycember series is also really bland and badly researched. Just this hollow attempt at trying to force his own "Monster Madness" when the reason why Monster Madness is so good is that James Rolfe has this genuine passion for the horror genre and set out to make a crash course of horror history to help broaden the horizons of his fanbase.

And that desire to educate and celebrate horror history extends outside Monster Madness what with his videos on Sleepy Hollow or going to Blobfest. Meanwhile the vast majority of Disneycember is just Doug generically talking about how pretty the colors are and finding certain characters and stories to be bland.

Live action Grinch was good too.
Basically Jim Carey + Seuss is a good batting average.

How have some of these books not made deals to sell hardbacks with DVDs that come with the book?
I mean everyone is streaming now but 10+ years ago it'd have been SELLING LIKE HOTCAKES.

I kinda like Rolfe. I'll look into monster madness.

>weaaaah I can't watch gay people

Never forget.

shut the fuck up

Someone post Biggering

because you have to stretch out a 5-minute read to a 1-and-a-half hour long movie you fucking retard

it's why the cartoon short adaptions of these were much better than the new movies

>people are suddenly remembering the Lorax movie because of the Grinch trailer
Swell.

youtube.com/watch?v=BpgUQYARIsw

I had this book back in elementary school. Why do this?

Get babies. You forgot the get babies part.

What's wrong with that?

Never read this book, but I have read another set made by the same people.
Pic related.

>Here's a thought. Why not make her the MC? Replace the boy from the Lorax with her. Hell, she's the one who likes Truffula trees, have her be the one to go on the trip and listen to the Onceler's story and stuff. 'Twould be a little better than turning the boy into one of those guys who thinks he can fuck this hippie chick if he tells her he's a vegan.

I'd wager that she was the original main character and they didn't think a girl would draw in enough of the kids so they added the boy and made her the goal.

No, the boy was always the main character, but his original motivation was that he was a greedy little shit that wanted something nobody else in Thneedville owned and a tree was one such thing that didn't exist in that town.

The amount of lewds generated by this movie is quite astounding though.

So she's the addition to make him not a douche.

That cover is so

"I'm totally ready for you to plant your Truffula seed in my fertile soil."

"No way Yoo-Who."

really?!

Of Onceler yea.

I'd shoot you in the face for your opinions if I could.

But you barely even have room to complain about Taylor being in the movie because she's barely in the movie at all. It's a glorified cameo like her appearance in "The Giver".

youtube.com/watch?v=8V06ZOQuo0k
They stretched 5 minutes into 25 easily. Maybe don't make a whole 90 minute movie for just the lorax. Maybe stretch it out into 40-50 with some stupid bullshit then make it a double feature of another Seuss story.

I wish Alvin was in the films

it was excellent idea, this movie had balls to remove protagonist's body part. it started 3 years of excellent dreamworks movies.

The art style always freaked me the fuck out.

When will Redwall get its theatrical premier? The cartoons were good, but there's so much untapped potential

SOMEBODY

when Mice will be popular again

>the forest animals are annoying pieces of shit for the entire movie
>you somehow are supposed to feel bad for them at the end
Fuck off Illumination

Also incompetent enough that they took an environmentalist character and put him in an ad for SUVs.

youtube.com/watch?v=DKKA3M-2sJc

horton hears a who is triggering to me
i am terrified in that situation
having that mob sicced on me
it's like a horror movie to me
totally unwatchable

TOUCHED MAH SPAGHET

Reminder that these people are going to make a new adaptation of the Grinch

What the fuck happened to all of the Once-ler's money anyways?

I'm more upset about the tarmac road. Were the animals just okay with covering grass and possible insects in tar?

His greedy ass family probably nabbed it and left. If I remember right his Mom and the rest drive off towards the end leaving him to his shitty tower to rot.

My BIGGEST problem with this movie is that the fucking main character didn't even know or give a shit what a tree was until the girl he liked said she would fuck whoever planted a new one. Who the fuck wrote this shit? The kid doesn't give a fuck about the environment he just wants to get his dick wet.