Would Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within have been received better if it didn't have the Final Fantasy name and was just...

Would Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within have been received better if it didn't have the Final Fantasy name and was just an original movie?

Uncanny Valley

Steve Buscemi was pretty funny in that film.

Without the FF title, no one would have watched it.

What it needed was a better plot. I mean, I have no idea what I was supposed to learn from that except that James Woods has always been evil.

On one hand yeah, everyone I know who watched that went in expecting chocobo's and shit. On the other is right, without the name it'd have just been a generic scifi movie that showed up and left just as quick.

Another example that's not Sup Forums related but the Lost In Space 90's movie. It's not a terrible movie but with that name people came in expecting certain things that movie just never quite delivered.

A common issue with CGI movies.

kingsglaive movie was fucking dope, good CGI and lots of final fantasy stuff, too bad the game was so fucking bad because all the fucking glitches, bugs and general technical stuff

Judging the 2000s cinema era, when videoclubs were a thing and DVD was the most advanced media for viewing films, with the perspective of 2018 is very hard.

To sum up. Film was asesome in cgi effects, the characters and plot was from a children movie. Fans were pissed, not fans thought it was infantile.

If it was premiered as a new franchise wouldn't work either. I love the film, but the plot and writing was far from excelent

No because it was still boring shit. The most notable thing about it, beyond the fact that it was such a bomb that Square still hasn't recovered from it (and it delayed the merger with Enix), is that one of the visual artists for Mass Effect used it as inspiration for the armor.

Nope, because it was pretty fucking boring. Final Fantasy-related or not.
I mean, you got a sci-fi setting, a speudo-conspiracy and a bunch of soul-sucking aliens and all you're gonna do is navel-gazing angsty philosophical bullshit? Come the fuck on, what a waste.

It was shit

why Disney doesn't just buy square-enix and makes a final fantasy vs marvel movie?

Bumpaga

No
Nobody watches animated movies unless they come from a big name studio

SHUSH

>Without the FF title, no one would have watched it.
This is all that needs to be said.

It's just a technology demonstration for CGI of that time.

If it was a live action movie it would probably have been better recieved as a science fiction action movie.

I really loved that movie.
However, they should've called it Gaia: The Spirits Within instead while the Final Fantasy name is kept with a tagline saying "From the Creators of Final Fantasy".

However, it's still a really underrated classic.
It's the most underrated animated film alongside Titan A.E., Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Treasure Planet.

And it's really fitting since all four of those movies are teen-oriented sci-fi/action-adventure animated films that came out around the early-2000s which bombed at the box office but later on became cult classics.

Especially Treasure Planet, which is probably the biggest cult classic in the whole Disney animated canon, but FF:TSW wasn't as big of a cult classic as the others.

I still love all four of those movies to this day.
Especially Treasure Planet, which is my favorite Disney film of all time alongside The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Yeah. Though there are some exceptions.

I wouldn't want a Final Fantasy vs. Marvel crossover.

I think the oldfags at Square would be more excited for a non-canon Final Fantasy x Star Wars spin-off when Disney buys Square Enix.
Going by the multitude of Star Wars references in Final Fantasy, especially the older ones.

Also:
>Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was distributed by Sony and was their first animated film in 15 years
>it bombed horribly despite being a really great film
>The Emoji Movie came out 16 years after FF:TSW
>The Emoji Movie actually did pretty well despite being one of the worst animated films of all time
>tfw Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a box office bomb but people paid money to see The Emoji Movie

star wars is the most absolute shit that ever existed besides star trek

>Gaia: The Spirits Within
I like that name.

It was BARELY a Final Fantasy movie, even though Final Fantasy has very little in terms of theme. I enjoyed it though, the plot is a little thin but it's enjoyable to watch and experience.

If it didn't have Final Fantasy in its name then that ending would be unforgivable.

It's an interesting concept and has some really neat designs with some B characters and dialogs, but ultimately it's just way to boring to be worth talking about. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad they went this round rather than the sheer nostalgia fanservice wankery that one might expect out of a "Final Fantasy: The Movie", but ultimately it's just a weird time capsule.

did you hate Advent Children then? I enjoyed both but for drastically different reasons

I've only seen some stray action scenes just for the spectacle of it (though I understand that's 90% of the "movie"). I guess there's a market for that, and I wouldn't say I "hate" it, but I don't really ever plan on watching it proper.