Why does disney waste money on stuff absolutely no one will see instead of making actually good cartoon movies for once?

Why does disney waste money on stuff absolutely no one will see instead of making actually good cartoon movies for once?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UhZ56rc
youtube.com/watch?v=UhZ56rcWwRQ
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=beloved.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because it's cheaper.

>Why does disney waste money on stuff absolutely no one will see instead of making stuff absolutely no one will see for once

>103 million
>cheap

People will see an actually well made animated film rather then some cushy girl power crap with a dumb as shit plot

don't worry, this movie will be the biggest bomb Disney's had in 30+ years, they'll learn their lesson.
Thinking that black tween girls are sci-fi fans is absolutely absurd, for one. Thinking that black tween girls, who are like 1% to 2% of the population, will have any impact on the box office at all. casting the ugliest black teen actress you can find as your protag, for last point.

no one, will see this movie. they won't even buy out theatres like they did for black panther, even for girl power charity reasons..

If you guys think for a second this is going to bomb, boy you're in for a surprise.
But again this is a case of Sup Forums being utterly unable to grasp the concept of different audiences.

it's still going to make more than any WB movie and ESPECIALLY any DC movie for the next 3 years

>casting the ugliest black teen actress you can find as your protag
Thank you for pointing that out, i thought I was the only one who noticed
>thinking girly strawberry shortcake tier sci fi is cool even to normies

But that's in vogue. That's why I don't think you guys see the actual potential this movie has. Not to mention, it's been heavily hyped lately so it definitely will see staying power.

HUGE BOMB.

see There is no audience for this film. There is an audience for black lead fantasy/sci-fi/comic book movies as the Black Panther has shown, as long as it looks cool and has action.

A Wrinkle In Time is a sci-fi/fanatsy movie geared towards little girls and it doesn't have a love story, doesn't have a bad boy, and isnt horror based.
The trailer is terrible. The camera angles, the wigs, the costume, the jokes, the facial expressions. It's looks like a made for the Disney Channel film from the 90s.

youtube.com/watch?v=UhZ56rc
WwRQ

SO. FUCKING. BAD.

Explain Tomorrowland.

youtube.com/watch?v=UhZ56rcWwRQ

I think enough people will have grown up reading the book to invest in seeing this
I'm excited, even though I don't remember most of the book
Nothing Disney makes "flops"
If it's not a massively successful movie, people shit on it, but Disney rarely makes something that doesn't return on the investment

still better than Ready Player One

Disney fags on damage control. Top kek

Fucking anything is better then that dog shit.

I'm pretty sure they're a troll. Tomorrowland at least had a bit of hype because of the director and a glance of the Tomorrowland city at the end of the trailer. The A Wrinkle In Time trailer is an abortion. And to think Marvel offered its director, the Black Panther, before Ryan Coogler. Marvel really dodged a bullet.

how do you know nobody will see it? it's got oprah in it.

disney might want to put attractions that have to do with stuff in it into animal kingdom and/or tomorrowland. it's seems like most of the stuff in animal kingdom looks like live action stuff or are live action interpretations of disney cartoons. the book seems to kind of easily go along with some other recent live action movies they have made like tomorrowland, alice in wonderland, oz the great and powerful, and beauty and the beast. the weird physics and visually amazing phenomena seem to go along with some other recent live action things they've done and maybe might be more like something they want to associate with some live action movies than some animated movies. additionally, I think disney wants to make certain kinds of live action movies once for every certain period of time. they might not necessarily think it's a good idea to increase the pace of disney and/or pixar animated movies. they might think it might be overextending either or both of them.

disney made atlantis and treasure planet as cartoons. if they were to make those now I think those would be things they would make them as live action movies.

Whatever you say pal. Good thing the premiere is not too far away, we'll see who's wrong by then.
Tomorrowland wasn't properly promoted and the movie actually never delivered on the premise, so it's not surprising it bombed. They kept teasing this future land and how to get there but once they did,, turns out it was "dying" so it was pointless to stay there. Absolutely a waste but that's on them.

Because the characters, premise, and everything else seem either ugly or just bad

Yeah, even if the mc is black I'm sure girls will still want to-
>doesn't have a love story
Yeah, nah. This shits going to bomb like the remake of Ghostbusters bad.

Mars Needs Moms & Lone Ranger called.

The director Ava DuVernay signed onto the movie so then she could play dress-up, not because she was interest in the story or sci-fi. She refuses to make any movies without black women- pretty racist seeing how some directors like like M. Night doesn't have Induans in most of his films.

tax write off

Not him but why the fuck do females obsess about romance plots so much? Are they seriously so pathetic and feminine they cant think about boys, ponies, and flowers for two seconds?!

Oprah's been in several movies that BOMB. She STARRED in a movie adaptation of a book that she shilled for a year on her show. A book that she helped singlehandedly put on the best seller list in the first place and her movie fucking bombed.

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=beloved.htm

>Nothing Disney makes "flops"

Is that what they tell themselves when they closed down their 2D animation department

Ah, the main reasons for the backlash is the amount of female vodka characters, of course. Should've been tipped off by the amount of Sup Forumstards in the YouTube comments.
They don't, that's why stories like these exist. But apparently it has no audience according to some 20-something white dudes who watch cartoons made for literal children.

TLJ says hi

It'll make kids movie money. Not GOOD kids move money, but enough to at least partially justify the cost and move on.

In the book the heroine saves her brother through the power of love & later marries the boy who travels with her to all the different planets.

Oh, & the boy is her age, skipped a few grades, is a star on the varsity basketball team, & cones from white trash. Y'know, the "outcast".

>you people are seriously retarded enough to buy into your own bullshit
jesus that's just sad

Of course you resort to blaiming whitey and gender insults when someone insults your terrible film, disney faggot. Ever realize that the only reason blacks are in these films is becasue hacks use them as a shield against criticism agaisnt there shit plot and awful writing?

Alice and Wonderland's sequel bombed

>made billions in profit
salty non fan racists or sexists butthurt opinions don't count

TLJ had the biggest second week dropoff on record and underperformed. Stay mad mouse retard

>underperfomed and has the lowest audience score of any star wars film
Stay mad no one likes bucktooh mary sue cunt and whiney linkinpark vader KO

Elf the user is wrong for saying that thing about the flops (John Carter of Mars is a well known flop, so is Tomorrowland), TLJ in NO WAY flopped, underperforming isn't the same as a flop or a bomb, and its underperforming just means a few hundred million shy of the previous landmark, even though it still made over a billion dollars. Get real.
Yawn.

>Mars Needs Moms & Lone Ranger called.

It's gonna be a bigger bomb than both of those. Disney will keep pushing the genius black girl concept though Shuri and the Black Panther movies.

They promoted the movie with an elaborate imagined history about Walt being a member of the secret society and all of his mid-century futurism but then deleted almost all the Disney connections because Damon Lindelof literally said "Having Walt Disney in the movie made the movie feel like too much of a Disney movie".

The backstory material and the prequel novel about the Plus Ultra celebs fighting Nazis and the bad guy from Metropolis at the 1939 were waay more interesting then the actual movie.

I don't think you know what a flop is

Its a disappointment and a sign that people outside of die hard faggots that will love anything with the logo on it hate it
>ignores my entire point and deflects
Nice to see you ran out of arguments you dumb retard

>91% on RT
>200m budget
>1.3b box office
Hmm... yup, box office bomb.

The audience score doesn't matter for shit and even if it did it's obviously rigged, you can tell it's bots submitting bad scores because there are new reviews once or twice every hour, even though the movie has been out of circulation for a while.

Didn't TLJ got dethroned by fucking Jumanji; a movie that is months old

Disney is not getting the memo of how the public is getting oversaturated with shit wars

FUCK that's bad. Like really bad. It looks like a cheesy alt rock video from the 90s.

When you start bringing up race as an "argument", I tune out.

>what are paid shills
Also that box office return is terrible for a star wars film, suck it

And yet you were the one who brought it up first by insulting white men as the only critics of your terrible movie you retarded hypocrite

>a movie that is months old
so is TLJ you fucking retard

It got dethroned on its second week, idiot

Looks bad
Wont watch

>Budget $170 million
>Box office $299.5 million
>Budget $200 million
>Box office $1.326 billion

you fucking got me
I didn't even know Mars Needs Moms was a disney film

I'm not trying to say that Disney doesn't put out shitty movies, I'm just trying to say that a movie not being massively successful shouldn't be called a flop
If it makes more than it's budget, then it's successful in that it made money
If it's not popular, then it's not necessarily a flop

I'm still excited for this movie

terrible for a star wars film is still a good amount of moolah

You realize TLJ came out in December and it's February, right? Also it didn't earn as much, it's at 883MM. Also Jumanji came out a week earlier.

>I'm still excited for this movie
Obvious shill is obvious

And yet the returns will shrink increasingly with each passing bad movie and soon they wont have a fanbase just like marvel
It still knocked star wars off from being number one in its second week, which is ground breaking

Also,
>Mars Needs Moms
>Directed by Simon Wells
>Screenplay by Simon Wells, Wendy Wells
>Simon Wells (born 1961) is an English film director of animation and live-action films. He is the great-grandson of author H. G. Wells.
>Wells later supervised the animation on Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
What the fuck happened

>X Y is X
you just blow in from ED?

Hating an obvious disney fan doesnt make me at the same level as an ED retard

I'm looking at BoxofficeMojo right now, and you're full of shit. Jumanji got on the first spot at the third week, not second (Dec 29-Jan 4). Not sure why you have to lie when the data is available for everyone to see:

www.boxofficemojo.com/weekly/?yr=2017&p=.htm

So glad that cancerous site is getting taken down

>obvious disney fan
I'm sorry, is there a problem with being a fan of disney?
I love their movies

Dont act like thats still not fucking impressive for a movie to beat star wars that early, also it had a record beaking second week drop off

People just like what they like. Same reason some people like action movies and horror movies: they just want what a story with that sells.
I have to get my romance fix from manga and I'm running out of enjoyable ones.

I doubt that it will bomb considering how much Disney is investing in marketing. At the beginning of the year, it was on the cover of Time magazine claiming it will be a film that will transform the movie industry. It had teasers everywhere including a prominent teaser during the Golden Globes where Oprah gave a speech about the #MeToo movement & everyone expected her to run for President in 2020. It's getting to the point it is advertised every hour & soon every commercial break after Black Panther is released. Oprah & Reese are acting like bffs & are appearing in a lot of photoshoots together recently.

the movie was made possibly partly because the dreamworks movie home did okay. disney already had a previous tv movie of a wrinkle in time made for them. so they made a different version with a black girl to come out on the tail end of black panther and possibly make an attraction based on imaginary animals in the movie at animal kingdom. maybe if this one does alright, they can make a sequel with a bigger budget that's seemingly marketed more to general audiences than this one.

animal kingdom is a place where disney seems to particularly try to get stuff related in some ways to non-white people. black people make up a significant proportion of the peo0le in florida and nearby florida. disney already has an area that's related to the lion king in the animal kingdom. they might hope that animal kingdom might be able to be particularly popular with black people if isn't already to makeup somewhat for it's lower attendance by having black actors/voice actors in a wrinkle in time and lion king. they might also hope that black panther might get associated somewhat with animal kingdom and the new lion king movie.

it's harder to fit some attractions that are inspired by movies or not inspired by movies that feature non-white people in some of the other places at disney parks due to some of the general areas or attractions having to do with historical places in america and europe so you might have issues about racism in history and the common appearances of people in these places at various times in history.

Yeah, you like twrrible juvenile shit thats too pussy to ever break boundries or be actually funny, so it ruins franchises by bringing them down to their over safe marketable level for there sick company image. Disney fags deserve to be castrated, theyve never made a good movie and never will

yes you can only like shitty movies like Bright and whatever the fuck else the retards over at Sup Forums call "kino"

Not quite, since it was well awaited and it only surpassed it by 5MM. Just check the link and get your facts right, you make it seem like such a feat when it's really not at all surprising.

Just because its heavily marketed doesnt mean it will sell. Look at ghostbusters

well if anyone would know what's good it's the illiterate fucking retard

>getting taken down
It is?
I liked bright....

>hurr it only made 5mil more
It still beat out star wars, and thats all that fucking matters

What is this shit?

A typo doesnt disprove my point you fucking retard

Except the whole "Finally built a Animal Kingdom land focused around Imaginary animals" thing was the entire motivation behind doing Avatar Land.

>thats too pussy to ever break boundries
>or be actually funny
>ruins franchises by bringing them down to their over safe marketable level
you mean the massive media giant bought out a smaller, but culturally significant, media corporation, and made a bunch of movies that were written to be likeable for as many people as possible, which is what the culturally significant, small media corporation had already done
and you're mad?
Are you mad because they are capitalists trying to make a bunch of money?
Are you mad at McDonalds for making fast food? Are you mad at people who say they enjoy Coca Cola and/or Diet coke?
Are you mad at people who enjoy vanilla ice cream, instead of trying new experimental ice creams made from durian and/or liquid smoke?

kek

Why? Disney produce bombs all the time. They also make the top grossing films so nobody notices. This is going to make less than Pete's Dragon

How the fuck does disney attractions not associated with a movie or marvel impact black panther or wrinkle in time?

Well this just isn't true

Dude, you know the worst part of your frantic delusion is?
The Force Awakens was ALSO dropped after the third week:
www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=starwars7.htm
And it was dethroned by The Revenant, by 1MM. So their behavior is ultimately similar in both cases, with the difference in revenue from foreign returns.

>and made a bunch of movies that were written to be likeable for as many people as possible,
They ruined it to cater to normies and feminists. If this is capitalism the i cant wait for another red uprising to slaughter all these fat elites ruining my franchises. Fuck capitalism

And TLJ underperformed horribly more the TFA, your point?

>its another grownups cant do shit because reasons episode

The word you're looking for is 'fanatic as it implies the original connotation as a negative thing rather than the modern concept of 'fan' being benign or positive.

you realize you're embarrassing yourself, right?

Jumanji obviously had a worse opening weekend but it had much better legs than TLJ. Jumanji is still making 10mil over the weekend 8 weeks in. TLJ didn't even make 1.5 mil and the last time it made over 10mil was 4 weeks ago

You watched the prequels, right?
Like, I can understand being mad that disney threw away years of canon by getting rid of all the books and comics, but TLJ is a far cry from offensive

stop being such a baby

What did Pete's Dragon even make? I didn't hear anything about it.

The prequels were at least enjoyable then bitchy feminist general and bland ugly alien designs, and characters that are annoying and unlikable, and spread the the dumb male smart women trope that even gumball is smart enough not to overuse

So you went back to the safe argument? Cool.
Yeah, we all know it underperformed, but I proved you wrong with FACTS that it stayed as long as TFA, and even then it had a consistent run well until January before fading.
TLJ's run in the theaters is basically over at this point, which explains what you said. But it ran with more competition, whereas TFA's strongest contenders were The Revenant and fucking Daddy's Home.

that's one movie 20 years ago. what are some others?

avatar land didn't bring in enough people, but might bring in more people if the sequels are successful. they're going to get rid of the large live animals eventually. they want something to replace many of them and bring in more people eventually. it might take a wrinkle in time getting sequels to build some attractions however. artemis fowl is another option. it has stuff that attractions can be related to it at both animal kingdom and tomorrowland.

it's related to why they might want an attraction that black people in particular find appealing to be built in the park associated with the lion king.

>The prequels were at least enjoyable
So you didn't watch the prequels

143 world wide. Then there was the BFG that had a budget of 140 mil but only made 183 world wide

>but I proved you wrong with FACTS that it stayed as long as TFA, and even then it had a consistent run well until January before fading.
And i told you that TFA didnt underperform, go be a retard somewhere else disney defending shithead

>thinking this is more enjoyable then what is at best a decent popcorn film

Jumanji had the same competition. It was competing with fucking Star Wars. It should not have been beating it week after week. Had Disney not forced theaters into keeping TLJ on the bigger screens Jumanji would have started beating it a lot earlier

I think I may have read this book too late in life to appreciate it as much as I could’ve if I’d read it in my childhood. I forget if I was in highschool or already graduated when I read it, but I remember being really disappointed. It was one of the first books I read where I couldn’t even push myself to get interested in reading the rest of the series to see where the story turned out.

I understand it’s a really popular book though, so do any of you guys feel this way too?

>the prequels are a decent popcorn flick
Not that it matters, but I can't think of a single person who has gone back to watch the prequels just for fun
The new stuff is at least not horrible to look at