The first spongebob movie was not that good

unpopular opinion but i didnt like the first spongebob movie that much. it neglected the majority of the cast, had a dumb cop out ending, the humor was bland at a lot of points, ect.

the second movie felt a lot more like older spongebob and a celebration of the series as a whole outside of the cgi bits.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-5f53EFQIAE
youtube.com/watch?v=8P8JQhvg8uE
youtube.com/watch?v=xU8TBvMclY4
youtube.com/watch?v=obNZV9OdKS8
youtube.com/watch?v=R0f6FISfvLM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In retrospect, I would agree with you on the 1st movie not being that good. However, I would disagree with you on the 2nd movie being any better; the pacing on that was completely off and felt like a giant confused mishmash of ideas that really needed some polishing. Here's hoping the 3rd movie is better.

I still fucking love the 1st movie though because the nostalgia, and honestly I would be content with it ending the series. GOOD FUCKING LORD, Ocean Man is the still the best credits song of all time.
youtube.com/watch?v=-5f53EFQIAE

>it neglected the majority of the cast
so did the first one which was pretty much only about Plankton and Spongebob except the CGI part at the beach

the first one is on a whole different level than the second one

Is it worth watching past season 3?

There's only like 10 episodes or so I could recommend watching past S3, give or take.

The first movie was at the peak of Spongebob. He was a cultural icon. The first movie has no right being as interesting and fun as it is.

So many bands collaborated, and a lot didn't even make it into the final cut. There's a soundtrack CD that came out with the movie that had Best Day Ever on it years before the actual episode came out, along with a rap song about blowing bubbles. The album itself had an amazing aesthetic.

The movie was also written in a very short span with all the writers pretty much locking themselves in a room for 3 days and making the story.

It truly is a work of art. There was passion and heart in the 1st movie. The 2nd movie had a higher production VALUE, but to me, the 1st movie is worth more.

I loved the movie but I watched it when it was in theaters when I was 10 so I was biased.
I really didn't care that much about all the characters not being involved, but my problem with it is that it felt like the deal with Spongebob and Patrick wanting to be men and their entire character arcs revolving around that came out of nowhere, it was never something they cared about in the series.

Plus the ending is so awesome and hilarious that the fact that it's a cop out is a moot point. It's fucking Spongebob, give me some funnies over a meticulously woven story any day.

i thought the first movie was dumb even when I was younger
>dude GOOFY GOOBERS xD
it already had alot of that 3rd season humor and art which I didnt care for

>>dude GOOFY GOOBERS xD
adding that effect to anything makes it retarded sounding

>dude BREATHING lmao XD
fuck breathers

i was very disappointed with it when i was younger
i think its just as bad as season 4

OCEAN MAN

If everybody stopped breathing there would be no more idiots in the world

>tfw you find one of your favorite bands through a meme

youtube.com/watch?v=8P8JQhvg8uE
I've heard that they at first wanted to use this song

Nah, the first movie was good because if spongebob is good at one thing is to become meme material. The repetitive gags and silly concepts are exploitable and re-tellable even out of context. This is something the newer SpongeBob lacks and I'm telling from a point of view where I saw both movies with the family and we all agree that the first one was better.

Did they ever do anything with Spongebob being the manager? I mean, there are only 3 employees there so I wouldn't exactly blame them for forgetting it.

Spongebob becoming the manager is the last canonical event

The 1st Spongebob Movie is the end of the series and always has been. Everything afterwards takes place before it somewhere chronologically.

No, the movie is canonically the series finale so every season afterward is set before it.

Eh, even as a kid I didn't love the movie as much as some of my favorite episodes. It was a stereotypical case of "shit needs to get epic since this is a movie" plot most cartoons have whenever they make movies.

I'm so glad there's someone else out there that appreciates the soundtrack

youtube.com/watch?v=xU8TBvMclY4

youtube.com/watch?v=obNZV9OdKS8

youtube.com/watch?v=R0f6FISfvLM

>The movie was also written in a very short span with all the writers pretty much locking themselves in a room for 3 days and making the story.
Sauce?

there aren't even any memes in the 1st movie except the mouth gasp frame and that's been a dead meme for like 5 years, unlike the cavesponge image which gets used every day, and even has normie usage

but anyway meme shit isn't a way to gauge if the source was good or not, but I do like the 1st movie

I wish, I'm hoping the nuSponge series finale is either
>a movie (upcoming 3rd film or 4th)
>a feel good episode with Spongebob and Squid getting along
>the very first episode to take place after the 1st movie to show Spongebob being the manager and sprucing up the place

But usually those other shows lend themselves well to that trope, it's just a show like Spongebob was rather mundane in almost every episode.

First one feels like it's more about the journey than destination. The second feels like it's more about the destination than journey.

Season 4 has some pretty good episodes