Does GLAAD not care about Steven Universe or what?

Does GLAAD not care about Steven Universe or what?

kidscreen.com/2018/02/15/glaad-calls-for-more-lgbtq-characters-in-kids-tv/

Let's give awards to Doc McStuffins and Loud House.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/rebeccasugar/status/954517676533080064
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Keller_(comics)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you can never please SJWs
all they want to do is bitch and complain

Diversity doesn't mean "you get one, then you can never complain again". It means portraying a group of people until they're commonly accepted as something a person can be.

This fact is often buried in strawman arguments such as "THEY CAN NEVER BE PLEASED, THEY DON'T REALLY WANT ANYTHING, THEY COMPLAIN FOR NO REASON BECAUSE THEY'RE EVIL" and other variations of the perfect solution fallacy, even when it's obvious what people actually want.

It's just another case of people trying to "beat" social justice with simplistic accusations of hypocrisy, but only end up holding it to absolutely ridiculous standards that make no sense and have no real basis.

Probably forgot about the show because it never airs

obviously, equality will never truly exist until all white people are dead

>It means portraying a group of people until they're commonly accepted as something a person can be.
and how will know that has been achieved?

When no one cares anymore.
When it can't be clikbait content because (neither for some to have a circlejerk reaction or other getting triggered about the topic discussed) because it's simply a non-issue anymore.

When everyone is a 7 foot tall African musclechode?

I haven't kept up with the show, but doesn't SU still dance around it with (very heavy and easy to understand) implications and blunt metaphors? A bit different from having a character having two dads who are treated the same as any other married couple.

In other words you're asking for the impossible. As long as different people exist, there will never be 100% acceptance. And there will always be further and further extremes of fringe groups wanting to be represented and included. At some point you just have to say "Shut up and just watch the cartoon."

No characters in SU are gay. If anything, Rose was the weird one for being into bestiality.

This. Name dropping series that contain X only helps in an argument if someone says "there are no series that contain X".

It's not really achievable, but it's still worth trying. No one would have a problem with striving to reduce traffic fatalities even though we will never live in a completely safe world.

>gays
>more and more fringe
This is just the same fringe group. Leaving it at one show about lesbian rocks that aren't really female by human standards is kind of unrealistic.

>until no one cares anyone
never going to happen
liberals are always going to exist

>but it's still worth trying.
why?

user that's why you keep working at it, drunk driving campaign don't make everyone stops drunk driving but if it lowers the rate then that's already pretty good.

user, imagine if society was more accepting to neckbeards.

Because traffic safety is clearly teachable.

Minorities won't be happy until they're grossly over represented.

I Am Jazz: The Animated Series

I know what you mean. Whites never seem to be happy.

Oh no you didn't just say that.

>It means portraying a group of people until they're commonly accepted as something a person can be.
I thought it meant a movie being full of black people.

This post reads like bait from somebody that never reads Rebecca Sugar's twitter account.

twitter.com/rebeccasugar/status/954517676533080064

Jan 19th, 2018:
"This is INCREDIBLE! Last year when Steven Universe was nominated for a #GLAADaward, this category didn't exist! There is now enough LGBTQIA+ content for kids & families to make this possible!!! I am SO grateful and honored to be a part of this!!! THANK YOU!"

100% is impossible, but general acceptance is definitely possible.

Steven Universe is barely being aired on TV anymore because Rebecca thought it was a good idea to keep casting music artists for episodes, especially ones that are part of the reoccurring main cast. Shit's too expensive for ads and merchandising (especially as a product meant for girls) to help keep it on the air as often, that's why shows like Taina was cancelled despite being a hit with the viewers, but I digress.

It took until 2016 for Disney to have a canon gay couple in a movie as minor characters. A little more representation isn't too crazy to ask for.

I thought glaad was that group of crazy, anti-fun Christian moms?

You're thinking of MADD.

>Casting music artists as main cast and frequently for one or two episodes

I sometimes wonder if they do this stupid BS just so they can meet them

Well, they ARE crazy and anti-fun.

I thought that was mother's against drunk driving?

MADD?
Yes.

That's what it stands for, yes.

>GLAAD
whoooooo caaaaaares

I was referring to the group that loses their shit if a male character is too effeminate or gay, or two females are "too close" as friends, or anything like that.

Diversity doesnt matter in shows, it ruins shows with pandering and bad writing, and if you cant like something because your group isnt in it youre a pathetic narcissist

The more you "work at" bringing people to accept each other, the greater friction you cause, hence the situation we're at in [current year].

A little more, and then a little more, and then a little more. Until you want your own gay theaters for gays only.

Common Sense Media?

Creator here:

Don't tell me what to write.

If you want something write it yourself.

Yeah, slippery slope isn't a logical fallacy or anything.

So do you respond to everything thread asking for more serious animation aimed at more than just kids by telling people "don't tell me what to write" or is it just threads like these?

But over-representation will create backlash.

Steven Universe isnt as SJW as many people say.
Canonically there are no gay characters. Gems are aliens so ruby and sapphire, even if they look female, arent gay. Pearl isnt gay. Jasper isnt gay. Its like if ET´s race fucked each other. Aliens are different.
In fact the two strongest romantic relationships on the show are heterosexual.
Loud House has canonically homosexual characters so thats why the GLAAD gave them the award.

The main problem is that when someone makes a gay character, that's all they do. They say HEY LOOK, THIS PERSON IS GAY, LOVE THEM! and that's their only character trait. They should make a well-written character that HAPPENS to be gay, and they'd be fine. But apparently nobody fucking understands that.

Steven Universe is old news

Diversity does matter. It improves shows by exposing people to different kinds of thought and can encourage the writers to expand beyond just token caricatures.

If I can't like something because some other group (that isn't trying to directly harm me and my family) is included, I would have to consider whether I have a problem.

Or you end up relating to a greater number of people in a positive, community-building fashion.

Most of the volunteer groups I've participated in during my life have benefited from having a diverse group in terms of not only sexuality, but age, race and religious belief. Does everybody get along perfectly? No; but generally if you set up a good dialogue and basic set of polite rules, and everybody is working towards a common goal (like helping the homeless, kids, or people who are ill) you can get a community to really come together to learn about one another, reducing fear and hatred rooted in ignorance of something or somebody outside of an individuals routine daily experience.

One of the great things about Steven Universe is that the traditional relationships aren't portrayed as some oppositional force, the show recognizes a lot of different forms of love and tries to show positive and negative relationships of many different stripes in a way that I really appreciate.

one of my favourite episodes in the show is gem harvest, not because of the quality of the episode (its kinda boring) but the message is straight up saying how its okay to believe things in a different way as long as you arent hurting anyone.
Andy is clearly a right winged person and would totally vote for trump, but the episode never makes him the bad guy and in the end they all accept each other for how they are.
Its made even better when the supposed "fans" in tumblr got mad at the show DARING to portray right winged people as human beings instead of monsters,like the internet told them they where.

Wait. Do people really think shit is worse now than it was years ago?

Ruby is a guy in first place though after they said many stuff to fit with the diverse and lgbt friendly and all that shit.

Based Kelly speaks the truth

Please post examples of this.

They're already generally accepted.

I don't know about you, but I hate women, gays and minorities a lot more than I did ten years ago.
Granted I hate everything now more than I did ten years ago.

My cents on this is that there should be diversity in shows and other types of media. Everyone likes to feel included, however, my main problem is when people act as if there needs to be in it, and any piece of media that doesn't have it being demonized (or classed as discriminatory.) You see so many articles calling out how because X doesn't have a Y character, it's Z. I mean, I'm fine with unrealistic amounts of diversity, but I'm against people EXPECTING unrealistic amounts of diversity, and getting mad at the show when their expectations turn out to be misguided.

Not that user, but Kevin in the Riverdale reboot.

I don't know if GLAAD ignores Steven Universe but because of attempt to attract LGBT followers while keeping the general audience turning the characters in "ambiguous" and because of the baiting with lesbian ships weren't to happen really in the show just to pander LGBT supporters and all that in a show for kids the Emmy ignored it LOL

SU didn't get an Emmy, Robot Chicken got it instead, yeah, Robot Chicken hehehe

I have to agree, i was pro LGBTQ 5 years ago, How annoying and hypocrite are the SJW made me turn to the light side.

Read any Marvel comic with a gay character.

I thought Kevin’s character in main Archie was “the gay one” too.

As someone who's writing an actually risky animated movie:

Showing background gay moms is incredibly inoffensive, but it's all a major corporation (and that's who's giving you these cartoons, major corporations that just regurgitate demography) will take the risk of allowing. OTTs seem like the next step, but 'progressive' OTT cartoons like Danger and Eggs haven't found their stride, and they won't until stories become more than just quirky filter with progressive imagery you think audiences will blindly accept.

I'm the guy you replied to. The socio-political climate is better now than its ever been... outside of Hollywood and the media as a whole. Hollywood and its sister tv networks/news corporations want us to believe that whites are the ultimate evil, blacks are the ultimate victims, and that we should welcome all refugees with open arms regardless of the increase in terrorism. Oh wait, terrorism is a non issue because Muslims are 100% peaceful and forward thinking.

People as a whole may not care, or even disagree with the propaganda, but the fact is that these groups who control entertainment and control information, also control general thought to a significant degree.

What they really need to do is 11 minute Midnighter shorts in the style of the Aeon Flux shorts and stick it on AS. Just fanservice, sex permeating everything, and violence.

I don't understand what I think you're trying to express, can you be more specific? Do you now hate LGBTQ people?

>Leaving it at one show about lesbian rocks

This is the problem with the faggots of tumblr, they never understood that this show wasn't about gay people.

Diversity doesn't necessarily equate to being taken more seriously or more being a serious animation. Just because you put a minority in something doesn't effect it's quality. Quality is in execution, not ideas and content.

There's an implication that you think that just because you keep telling people to do something they'll just start to accept it, but that's not how the world works.

It's already been achieved, this people just refuse to accept it cause if they did they wouldn't have anything to bitch about

>Rose/Pearl= Dead, Rose loved Greg
>Peridot/Lapis= Dead, uprooted and destroyed, Zuke's debacle
>Peridot/Amethyst= Dead, even Zuke affirmed it wasn't going to be the real ship.
>MysteryG/Pearl= Dead, Sabina is Kevin's endgame
>Lauren Zuke claimed there weren't queer ships in Steven Universe

this

You are not generally accepted, your money is accepted. The companies thrown you a bone and you eat and lick it thinking "wow they really care about us" but this is just pure merchandising.

they're hypocrites, they just hate Woman-Man relationships

Yes. They think there weren't problems because few brought problems to light. There is some merit to this thinking; like when working for a wage that's better than you're used to only to find out people are doing the same thing for far more. The moment before learning of the inequality, you were content. Some people see those who highlight what's unfair as the problem, not those who make it unfair.

>>Peridot/Amethyst= Dead, even Zuke affirmed it wasn't going to be the real ship.

What is the 'real ship' then? Your statement implies that there will be one.

>>MysteryG/Pearl= Dead, Sabina is Kevin's endgame

Doubt it. They're just going to pussy foot around it. Cucking a lesbian with a straight romance again will create so much backlash.

>>Lauren Zuke claimed there weren't queer ships in Steven Universe

Technically she's right if you go with the 'rocks are asexual' meme. I really hate the 'makes an x but calls it a y' meme with aliens. We know what you're trying to do creators.

But shows like Steven Universe don't really normalize LGBT+ things as one of the show's main selling points IS it's LGBT+ stuff. Even media that don't make the characters being gay the main focal point use it in advertising and use it to get attention from the media. You can't normalize something if you act as if you make a big deal out of it, The Loud House is probably the closest one to getting it right.

That doesn't answer the question. Responding to some saying "we need more X" with "don't tell me how to write" is incredibly non-sequitur.

>Esteban Muttverse bases its entire existence around LGBT characters
>gets no recognition
>Loud House throws in a few homos as an afterthought
>gets widespread praise and accolades

Oh no no no....

general acceptance is not possible cause just 5% of the population declared they were homosexuals or had homosexuals relations

Kids are not born from homosexual relationships that's why LGBT supporters have extra money to buy stuff and that's why CN is interested in pandering for LGBT groups, cause they have a lot of money.

Same, I even started seeing Sup Forums as being just as bad as Tumblr and Reddit when the Net Neutrality Act shitstorm happened. They were acting as though the era of oppression had begun because they repealed something that was established in fucking 2015 and that the ISP corporations were all in league with each other in this vast Jewish-Illuminati-Grey Alien conspiracy.

>Your statement implies that there will be one.

that's what Zuke WANTED and didn't get and told us several times how she was all alone in this cause her boss chose a different ship for one of the girls or both of them

>whites are the ultimate evil
You'd think with a victim complex this intense you could empathize better with the opposition.

All of us? I'm a bisexual dude, but I generally date men. I have nothing against straight people.

It is fine to be against people acting in a hypocritical fashion, I just hope you avoid disliking people purely because of their sexual orientation.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.

>the writers to expand beyond just token caricatures.
>token caricatures.

But user Connie is a token.

I was a SJW, I hate SJW and gay people now.

>Doubt it. They're just going to pussy foot around it. Cucking a lesbian with a straight romance again will create so much backlash.

Sabina...S...Kevin liked cool women. Pearl was worried about "THEIR" Greg that eventually will be "HER Greg" and Zuke was angry cause there wasn't representation and her perfect episode was where MG appeared.

It's DEAD user

>Technically she's right if you go with the 'rocks are asexual' meme. I really hate the 'makes an x but calls it a y' meme with aliens. We know what you're trying to do creators.

She was crying all around cause there wasn't an advance for lesbians in media and you can see the many posts, she said so one of your own who wanted to say why she tried AND FAILED

I'm not white though. I'm brown and I am still able recognize the clear propaganda bias in the media. The best argument you can muster is a nonargument. Merely deflecting in an attempt to paint me just like the people who I take issue with. It's a lazy attempt, let me tell you.

No it means we won't kill you with sticks, and you should be grateful for that.

Of course, careful, they hate bisexuals often cause bi people can easily get a normal life

And isn't that just the result of getting your information from a site that cherry picks things to be outraged at and your own biases filtering information that one should be skeptical about in such a way that there are people on Sup Forums that would sooner believe without proof that there is a movement to beat all white people who want to see Black Panther on opening day than any sort of sexual harassment allegations? Your personal bias was always going to get in the way.

The good news is that you're living proof that liberal brainwashing through cartoons doesn't work.

You're aggressively demanding that nameless corporations go out of their way for it and act outraged when in reality it's not surprising at all.

You just want to keep going until you find some evidence to prove whoever your talking to is a bigot. You're like Cathy Newman.

Iceman is pretty complex.

It's lazy because we're on an anonymous image board. Either way, if you can empathize with the plight of the white male in comics and cartoons, you should be able to empathize with any sort of issue in representation.

I'm bisexual, but I don't dislike straight people.

If your hatred of LGBT people is based on LGBT people not liking straight people, then you would have no reason to dislike me.

That has never been an issue for me in LGBT groups, I get the impression that you've met some real jerks.

I'm not aggressively doing anything. If you see people posting about something they want or "need" on the Internet as aggressive, you probably suffer from PTSD from online flamewars.

I'm argentinian and one of the brown ones, which are a minority here.
And if you can't see this antiwhite black-is-better propaganda it's because you're blind.
I'm tired of going to see a movie adaptation and it being ruined for a shitty diverseity shit or seeing so many teerible movies and directors getting praised just for the sake of propaganda.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Keller_(comics)
There's more to him than just being gay. At worst, it could be the clickbait drumming him up as the first gay Archie character, but that would mean that your problem is with clickbait but not the character or the writers.

If you're tired of it, it must be happening a lot. Could you please post examples?

Of bad movies getting praise? The Last Jedi, Ghostbusters, A bunch of Marvel films are some.
It also happens with videogames and cartoons like Gone Home, Life is strange and SU.
The worst part is that one can't mention their flaws because if you do you're a white nazi.

How are any of those anti-white/black
-is-better?