Captain Thunder

Mods are asleep, we can post about Captain Marvel without calling him Shazam.
(No Carols in this thread please. But Monica is acceptable.)

dc wanted to rename captain thunder but the name was already trademarked

Just say fucking Billy Batson, op. BILLY FUCKING BATSON. There. Simple and clean.

Captain Thunder sounds like an off brand soda. DC brought this renaming problem on theirself when they tried to burry fawcett's characters.

Yeah and if they cared they could had bought the rights back during the late 90's when Marvel was sigining every contract they could just to keep the company a float. Now thanks to Disney that trademark is pretty much untouchable.

This.

IS THE WAY THAT YOU'RE MAKING ME FEEL TONIGHT

>Captain Marvelfags
>actually caring about billy

I really like artists who give Billy the fold-over jacket chestpiece. Plain spandex is boring.

those two where to pure, fuck the JLA for jorcing Billy to leave.

The clothes make the man.

qt

>Mods are asleep, we can post about Captain Marvel without calling him Shazam.
Why would we call Carol Shazam? That's not who she is.

Why would you confuse Billy with Ms Marvel?

Yeah, why would anyone call Monica Shazam.
Should have pushed her instead, Mahvel.

Fawcett's Captain Marvel is the most knocked-off superhero of all time. How many erstaz versions of Cap or the Marvel Family can you name?

I'll start: Mighty Man from Image Comics.

The Black Knight is a Canadian knockoff. (And he might actually be Billy Batson!)

>Little Billy was a seemingly ordinary child who could transform into the mighty Black Knight whenever he spoke the magic word "UMBRA!"
>As the Black Knight he gained an adult body and supernatural powers (including strength sufficient enough to bend metal bars with his bare hands), which he used to battle evil-doers everywhere.

Since when do mods care about Shazam? The only ones triggered by the name are autistic character/Billyfags who want the same shit over and over

The Scarlet Samurai from Freedom Force.

The Scarlet Samurai's lineage is... bizarre. In the 1970s DC produced a SHAZAM! live-action series with Filmation. The series was so successful that Filmnation decided to produce another series Secrets of Isis featuring what was... basically a female version of Captain Marvel. The two series crossed over several times and both characters appeared on each other's shows.
But after this partnership ended... Filmation owned Isis and DC did not. So they created their own animated series called "Freedom Force" starring Isis and a motly group of public domain heroes. And to stand in for Captain Marvel they created the Scarlet Samurai, a young Japanese boy who was empowered by his ancestors to become a big red superhero who fights evil.

This whole thing is the reason Marvel created both Spider-woman and She-Hulk while they had licensed their shows out to networks -- they didn't want the networks to create their own characters spun out of theirs.
In 2007 DC punched back by creating their OWN version of Isis and tying her even closer to the Captain Marvel mythos... sidestepping Filmation's ownership rights by creating a very similar but distinct character who occupied the same place in the mythos.

The Red Rube is basically a Jewish Captain Marvel empowered by his ancestors.
Kid, orphan, magic word, became a cub reporter, etc.

Honestly, considering how DC just fucking pretended that Captain Marvel (and assorted characters) didn't exist for 20 years it's surprising that he's well known today at all.

Forgot the picture. This is the Red Rube.

>mfw I find out Johns named her after his deceased sister

Why can't Sup Forums just talk about the magic of Shazam?

That's a good look.

I like to ship these two.

Disgusting. Billy is pure. He does not deserve to be /ss/ed by a drunken genocidal incompetent asshole.

Yeah but it's hot.

Hot? No. Billy is meant to be in a loving relationship with a girl who is around his age.

There are a ton of Filipino superheroes that loved the "Captain Marvel" gimmick of transforming from normal or weak person into a superhero form via magic.
One of the older, most popular (and most obvious) examples is "Captain Barbell". Here he is in his earliest incarnation (sorry for the samll pic, it was all I could find).

And here's Captain Barbell in his various outfits/appearances over the years.

You know what's worse? At that time Billy was growing up. He was becoming a teenager, old enough to date Courtney.
And now he's back to what, twelve?

He started as same age/older than Dick Grayson, Dick has grown up, and Billy hasn't. It makes me weirdly mad.

Who is this an why is he wearting Captain Marvelous outfit?

But the contrast is the best part. If anyone can straighten her out and have her actively aspire to be a better person it's Billy.

There's people just as pure as Billy and not 12 years old.

He's fifteen

And even before that, there was Kapitan Kidlat ("Captain Lightning").

I mean, it's easy to understand why since the character would lose a lot of his appeal if he grew up, but it's hilarious in a meta sort of way. Billy always seemed to live in a different world entirely from the rest of the DC universe, a more cartoonish and innocent world. Him not really aging is DC unintentionally keeping that cartoon aspect of his comics.

Yeah but I want to see them fuck because I think it's hot.

I ship Mary with Superboy

Not in the Marvel universe. The boy was homeless for a good chunk of his stories, and yet still decided to fight crime and do the right thing before he got his own job. Even Peter Parker resorted to exploiting his powers for money at first, and he had an actual home and family. Carol would probably find that sort of dedication to doing good endearing, since it's exactly what she wants to be yet fails at every possible step.

Ideafags every so often like to talk about Carol having a crush on Shazam and not knowing that it's actually Billy when we have the occasional Marvel/DC crossover threads

>Carol is a shameless flirt around CM
>She later figures out that CM is Billy
>She doesn't give a fuck and still flirts regardless

Harley was fucking Billy in the Injustice universe

I like the idea of Carol majorly interacting with Billy thinking he's just some brat who keeps getting in the way of danger then SHAZAM!

Now that I think about it, has Carol ever been jealous of another hero before? Because I can see her initially being really bitter and jealous of Billy for being everything she wants to be so effortlessly, kind of like Oswald in Epic Mickey. She tries to prove herself as being better, but after a while she ends up seeing the good he brings and learns to appreciate him for who he is. Which would then evolve further into her being completely enamored over Billy.

Does anyone else find this oddly...sexual?

Like black alice?

Like Mary Marvel.

oops forget pic.

I wonder if Young Justice will keep the name "Captain Marvel" in Season 3.

They got sexual tension now so who knows?

I can see Weisman putting his foot down and calling him Captain Thunder.
He'd get away with it if it were not for the live-action movie Warner Brothers is probably never going to actually produce.

In the 90s DC was run as a tax break for the WB group. It never made a profit.

Far be it from me to suggest they were cooking the books, but if they weren't, well, the comic market was imploding at the time, so same difference.

Buying Marvel Comics would certainly have put DC at a loss! But too massive to be worth doing - you'd never be able to claim enough tax relief. So unless Marvel Comics at the time had been willing to sell off characters individually - which would have been a seller's market - DC couldn't realistically have acquired the trademark.

Conversely if Marvel had bought DC when WB was considering selling it in the early 80s, we wouldn't be having this discussion; but then there likely wouldn't have been a Batman movie in 1989 or sequels to follow, and that would leave open the possibility of people not being willing to invest in such movies, or tv shows, or even cartoons.

He's called Shazam, Geoff. I know you're not personally responsible, but DC really fucked themselves on this and the mature thing to do is own the mistake. A rebrand doesn't make any difference - it's not like even if DC owned the name there would be anything but confusion among the moviegoing public about where in the MCU this movie would sit. There was a Marvel Comics for years before they put out a Captain Marvel, DC could have resurrected him via shenanigans at any time.

DC people just haven't been smart people, historically.

>He's called Shazam, Geoff

No, he isn't. He's still called Captain Marvel, it's been used as recent as Thunderworld. They just can't put the name on the cover of anything he's in. The reason they tried to abandon that name for for the sake of that shitty new 52 reboot, but they've since went back on it.

He's now called SHAZAM, get over it, Billyfag

There's only one Captain Marvel and her name is Carol Danvers.

What's funny is that people for the longest time knew him as Shazam.

not even Marvel thinks this

Y'all need to read the Power of Shazam! ongoing. DC will never give Cap this much love again and it kills me.

I wouldn't even call these autists Billyfags because they only talk about the character to bitch.

His name is Reuben Reuben, holy shit

Wow, you aren't even trying anymore.

bump

It's hard to see as anything other than sexual. Still better than Harley x Ivy though

I really like this one. If Black Adam didn't exist and wasn't the biggest badass ever he would be a pretty good dark counterpart to Billy.