Is Star Trek: The Animated Series worth watching?

Is Star Trek: The Animated Series worth watching?
Is it just as good as TOS?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2LP2AOIvWE4
youtu.be/3_C_PefoE4o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Most older American television cartoons are only worth watching as novelties, they really don't have much artistic substance.

Read the plot synopsis online. Trust me the animation is worse than you could imagine

>Is Star Trek: The Animated Series worth watching?

It can be kind of fun.

>Is it just as good as TOS?

Oh dear god no.

I really enjoyed this show - it's like TOS but they do plots with effects TOS budget could never handle. The one where they go to the center of the galaxy, befriend the devil, and let spock cast spells in a pentagram is particularly cash. Ho, friends!

Full disclosure I used it to break up the monotony of Enterprise as I wrapped up my quest to watch every episode of trek ever.

The episode where they summon satan was by far the most entertaining.

I've only watched half the episodes and I would say if you're already committed to watching a lot of Star Trek, it's worth it.

They're original series scripts that couldn't be produced conventionally, with the original cast doing the voices.

Literally the only negatives compared to TOS is that it had to be animated by a budgeted studio that they shopped to get as low as possible. It's otherwise just TOS.

I'd say the pacing is also weird. Not bad, in fact a lot of shows should move that fast, but when something that would normally be a 50 minute episode is done in 20 it stands out and takes some getting used to.

not as good as TOS proper but also pretty good for what it is and a lot of eps are fun in a batshit way

Yesteryear is a legit good episode and I personally enjoy the Magicks of Megas-tu a lot, that episode is fucking nuts

Imagine if TOS was half as short and could show off crazy shit without having to worry about the budget for effects, costumes, sets, etc.

That's TAS in a nutshell.

>Cowboy Bebop
>no Space Dandy

also

>STD that high up

Better then the shit that is discovery, thats for sure

This thread needs more Kzinti.

>tfw the gun you try to steal kills you.

>No Macross

Macross huh.

eyeroll

>Top 5 Trek characters:
1. Bones McCoy
2. Odo
3. Harry Mudd
4. Quark
5. Data

wait what?
Why is she a mech pilot and also a giant?
Isn't the point of mechs to give people abilities that tiny squishy animals don't have?
She's basically Tony Stark, not Asuka.

Giant aliens.

Christ this clipart always triggers me by it's autistic ordering that never fails to confuse casual newfags here who've seen it for the first time.

Obviously you're not familiar with the Macross franchise, I'll give you the simple rundown:
A gigantic space ship hits earth in the future year of 1999, humanity researches it but is also involved in a pretty horrible war for a good couple years, in 2008 they finally get the giant space ship running, but then it fires a laser into space and attracts the attention of a gigantic alien human like race that attacks them, suddenly they're in a war with giant aliens called Zentradi and accidentally teleport into space, and now turn the giant space ship into a city. They use J-pop to pacify and convince the zentradi to micronize, but of course it doesn't prevent them from nearly wiping out the earth's population, but eventually they all learn to live together, but sadly there's a couple social issues. Other Macross series take place decades into the future and deal with other intergalactic stuff.

What's wrong with the ordering?

>The Clone Wars
>In the same category as Star Trek Discovery
You sir are not and will never be my nigga.

>no Space Adventure Cobra
>no Space Pirate Captain Harlock
American weebs are such plebs.
Also
>no Once Upon A TIme... Space!

Would it have killed them to two-parter some episodes for the sake of storytelling? I've always hated that about ghetto age animation and it's lack of long term continuity for the sake of status quo short episodes.

Wait Macross pilots have to be giants now?

>wait what?
>Why is she a mech pilot and also a giant?
>Isn't the point of mechs to give people abilities that tiny squishy animals don't have?
>She's basically Tony Stark, not Asuka.

Giant humanoid AYYs. They start out as enemies but become humanitys allies.

The humans were freaked right the fuck out when they found out that the giant robots they were fighting against were essentially just power armor for the huge Zentradi aliens. A Zentradi outside of their armor was about the same size as a humans giant mech.

Everyone should watch macross. Its fucking awesome.

the strongest and most skilled enemy you've ever faced thats your equal on the battlefield turns out to be a giant alien woman that you fall in love with.

youtube.com/watch?v=2LP2AOIvWE4

>Aliens that look exactly like human but with pointed ears
Damn it.
Star Trek can get away with this because they've got the problem of fitting real actors with prosthetic.
But when you're freed by animation, get a little more creative.

>that .gif
user, you know that animation has a hidden lolli in one frame, right?

Well, it's got stiff animation (Filmation, after all) but the stories are mostly good (w/some retreads), and original voice cast (minus Chekhov) is a real joy. Plus more non-humanoid aliens than you can shake a batleth at.

I think the point they tried to make was that they start out killing eachother in a massive war, but once finding out that they look extremely similar and enjoy all the same stuff like good food and music they begin to bond with each other and become friends. Everyone just wants the same thing in the end.

>Quark
>Satanic Tier

If that's meant to be bad I will shit down your throat.

I watched every episode and didn't feel bored once. The stories moved at a breakneck speed, and anytime something stupid happened it would quickly be forgotten as the episode moved on to the next plot point. In contrast, the live action series (all of them) might waste 5 or 10 minutes or even the entire runtime on their stupid boring shit.

Maybe they're supposed to be Symbolic Americans, picking on Symbolic Japanese (Terrans).

I keep for this generation.

They were created to be giants by aliens called the robitech masters. They are supposed to be a warrior race.

In the series, the reasons they make giant robots is because the find zentradi and made them to match their size.

You have to ask /m/ for more information. It's actually complicated.

>robotech

NO.

FUCK YOU. ROBOTECH FOREVAH!

I love space girls

Why. WHY was Stargate Universe so bad! I wanted to like it but christ it sucked.

youtu.be/3_C_PefoE4o

Only if piloting those Zentradi battle pods. Have you never watched any Macross? Zentradi are good guys after the first (and only good) show. Valkyrie pilots are still all normal-sized humans.

Switch Star Hunter and Battlestar Galactica and we have a deal.

Also it's way too damned early for Discovery to be on anything.

Sup Forums made this chart, right?
Because it reeks of shit taste

>Kzinti
>TOS

Nigga explain this shit right now. Was there a Niven/Star Trek crossover I wasn't aware of?

Niven guest wrote an episode and included the Kzinti. They have all wear pink and even fly around in a pink spaceship, which was apparently a goof-up by a colorblind member of the production team.

>colourblind
>allowed to work on a colour cartoon
Equal oppurtunity employment at its finest.

Looking this shit up. Man it even talks about slaver stasis boxes and pretends the Man-Kzin wars happened? What the fuck?

Fuckin'... This episode is literally the plot of one of the random short stories in a Man-Kzin Wars book. I'm too lazy to look up which one, but that totally happened.

Also the Kzin were planned to appear in Enterprise before it got cancelled

>2018
>visits Sup Forums
>doesn't even have a cursory knowledge of macross
This is like someone on Sup Forums needing a rundown on Superman.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT BRING BACK ENTERPRISE

WHICH IS A SENTENCE I'VE NEVER SAID BEFORE BUT SHIT GIMMIE

Here user, have a naked Kzinti.

Goddammit I want to live in a world where the Kzinti are semi-regular villains on Star Trek shows.

How do you feel about Mayan gods?

Bullshit. Macross is wack as hell. All robot anime is shit.

The lack of Star Blazers bothers me. The english dub for Star Blazers 2199 is pretty solid.

> ST:DSC
> low tier
> after having the best first season of any Star Trek show outside of TOS

They ruined Klingons, they completely don't even try to keep it in continuity with the time period they CHOSE to set the series in, the main character is insufferable and utterly uninteresting, the fucking ship that it's name after ISN'T EVEN IN THE INTERMINABLE, AWFUL FIRST TWO EPISODES, I can continue.

And the DIALOGUE, OH GOD THE DIALOGUE

DID ANYONE READ THIS SHIT OUT LOUD BEFORE THEY PUT IT ON TV

> Ruined Klingons

Design wise, they are just TNG Klingon with shaved heads. They could not use the TOS Klingon ships due to a rights dispute over the designs so thats why their ships looked different. And TOS Klingons were so different from every other portrayal they were the outlier's rather than these ones.

> don't even try to keep it in continuity

DEbateable, again we knew little about this period apart from there was a war with the Klingons at some point. If your talking tech design, Star Trek always played it fast and loose.

> main character is insufferable

Meh, give her another season. TNG took a while on this front too.

> AWFUL FIRST TWO EPISODES

Won't dispute this. However, there was a strong increase in quality as the season went on.

Hey you know what the other Star Treks didn't have? A fucking main character. You know why? Because it's episodic television. They barely bother to explore the crew of the fucking ship's roles and personalities until like episode 4 or 5. On ANY OTHER trek that's the whole fucking focus and you'd be learning that shit from the word go.

Also, no, the Klingons are not the same. At all. It just doesn't make any sense to have fucked with them like this.

I get they're trying something new but they are doing a shit job with the new stuff and are severely under utilizing the universe.

Hey, I can see where your coming from. It is weird having a different flavour of Trek after all this time, with a different format and such. All I'm saying is to give it a chance. Heck, people are going on about how Enterprise was a great Star Trek show when all I remember when it was on was that everyone hated it.

I'm sure we will be hearing similar things about this show down the line.

As for the Klingon issue, lets agree to disagree. I don't think the Klingon designs are a really big deal. We are dealing with a culture that is a suffering from a virus thats making them look more human and are fearing a loss of their cultural identity, whats stopping them shaving their heads and imitating ancient Klingon ship and armour design in order to tout their "Klingon-ness"?

A bit of imagination goes a long way in making peace with these differences from what you know.

I'll say Enterprise had like, I dunno, some good episodes, and I wish it'd been able to have another season or two because it was showing some promise towards the end, but it pretty well deserved to die.

Some people say the Star Wars prequels are good now too.

Yeah just means that people who grew up with them as kids are adults now. Not that those things are good.

well, I love all the Star Wars movies. They never really offended me the way some people seem to have a burning hatred for them.

In the end, its all a big adventure in outer space. Why waste energy hating it?

Oh I see. You're some kind of clever reverse troll.

Why the fuck did they make mress have lazy eyes all the time, it looked so horrible, i dont get how anyone let this through

Look, give the next season another shot. Hopefully, they iron out some of the kinks and remove some of the experimental stuff and we will get something a bit more to your palette

>klingons

One of the reasons I disliked Enterprise was that it didn't delve into the side characters as much as TNG, DS9, Voyager.
Remember the black guy who was the first human born in space? Remember how he got one line of dialogue per season?
Discovery is quite similar in that way so far. And so was TOS honestly.
Last year I rewatched TOS and it didn't spend as much time on Sulu, Chekov, & Uhura as I remembered.
It really was the Kirk show with buddies Spock and McCoy. I love those characters, but it felt repetitive.
TOS gets a pass not just since it was the first ST show, but it was created during the evolution of color television and dramatic story telling.

Enterprise felt like a step back. Maybe its indicative of the social structure. Maybe people of the ENT-DIS-TOS time period spent more time with a smaller group of friends.

Remember, because the Enterprise features a different design from anything else in Trek, Discovery is confirmed to be taking place in its own alternate universe.

>Remember the black guy who was the first human born in space?
He wasn't the first.

>Homeboys in Outer Space
>Satanic
It was bad, but it wasn't THAT bad.

>If your talking tech design, Star Trek always played it fast and loose.
No, Trek is PRETTY FUCKING CONSISTENT about showing that yes, TOS's ship design really was that simplified compared to the tech design of ENT and TNG-era.

The only exceptions are Discovery (see ) and the beginning of the 09 movie, but I'm guessing the Kelvin's design was the way it was for the benefit for the audience, so there wouldn't be a massive visual design shift between universes.

this

Look at it this way, the TOS Enterprise appeared in the last episode of Discovery S1. It got a minor design upgrade to match the aesthetic of the rest of the show.

I have no problem accepting that as canon, same as Klingons having a different design in TMP, what they will probably do is one of two things:

1. The interior of the Enterprise is structurally similar to TOS but with minor changes from what you know to fit the new visual design. Lighting more muted, computers now have touch screen, crew were "Cage" era uniforms etc.

2. Go all in and keep the 60's aesthetic. One of the tie-in novels for Discovery (Crossover featuring Pike-Enterprise and the Shenzhou) pointed out the differences by saying the TOS era uniforms were new uniforms currently only used on Constitution class ships. They could also explain that since ships like the Enterprise were designed for long missions of exploration, they simplified the technology on board to make it more easily maintainable over long periods away from a Starbase.

Anyway, my main point is its not an AU just because a design was updated. Any inconsistencies can easily be explained away with a little bit of work and imagination. Think of it like its a sliding timeline similar to comic books, except its just for the technology displayed.

Except it's not the only inconsistency in Discovery. Pretty much the entire show works better as an alternate universe. There's no reason to update the design in the first place if they were trying to keep in line with the universe we usually see.

> same as Klingons having a different design in TMP
A change that was acknowledged as an actual in-universe change both in passing and as a multi-episode plot. The normal TOS design Enterprise has already been active in-universe by the time it would be showing up in Discovery.

>One of the tie-in novels
aka Shit That Doesn't Matter In The Slightest

> The normal TOS design Enterprise has already >been active in-universe by the time it would be >showing up in Discovery.

Probably got a refit. There was a war going on.

Whats wrong with the novels? Just because they are not on a higher tier of canon does not make them any less valid as a potential explanation.

>TOS era uniforms were new uniforms currently only used on Constitution class ships
that makes sense, but then The Cage uniforms should have been the ones used in Discovery

>Probably got a refit.
And then REFIT BACK?
>There was a war going on.
A war, btw, that doesn't make sense. The Feds were in a COLD war with the Klingons in TOS. It was the Romulans they had fought previously.
> Just because they are not on a higher tier of canon does not make them any less valid as a potential explanation.
That's EXACTLY why they're less valid. Shit ain't canon.

He was so fucking annoying.

Here I fixed that for you

how the fuck did you manage to make it worse

They should have called James Cawley and filmed on his sets.

>VOY on the same tier as ENT
>Orville on the same tier as ENT
ENT should be much lower and so should STD

Kuuuuurrrrrwa, Spooooock!

>The Expanse not high tier (and below Firefly even)
Preposterous. At least someone half corrected it , although a lot of shows are getting higher ratings more due to nostalgia than anything else. Like Star Trek Discovery picked itself up after the second half, which is much faster than most ST shows in entire seasons.

>Design wise, they are just TNG Klingon with shaved heads. They could not use the TOS Klingon ships due to a rights dispute over the designs so thats why their ships looked different. And TOS Klingons were so different from every other portrayal they were the outlier's rather than these ones.

Shaved heads, the fact that their heads are slightly elongated, the choice of armor and ship interior design so dissimilar to any previous Klingon incarnation, the fact that they keep the bodies of fallen Klingons after death and decided to put them on a ship when anytime else the bodies are considered trash, the fact that no Klingon has honor, the fact that Klingons aren't serving the Empire with a clear leader and do whatever the hell they want. They don't look like Klingons, they don't act like Klingons.

What the creators did was take Terran ideals of racial homogeny and victory at any cost through treachery or whatnot and change the Klingons to fit that to make some sort of point about diversity and war.

It's garbage and they'd have been better off making a new race than force a change because they weren't creative enough to write something new.

I swear the catgirl and the weird alien next to her both look like they were drawn in after the fact.

Have you seen the record/comic tie-ins? They're a glorious train wreck. In one of them, nobody told the art team (with none other than Neal Adams on pencils) that M'ress was a catgirl, or that Uhura and Sulu were black and asian respectively.

It's pretty much a 1:1 adaption of The Soft Weapon, which pre-dates those books even.

They had a perfect out with the temporal cold war but they never used it. Maybe they intended to down the line but they barely even implied.

It ran for 2 seasons, so basically it covers years 4 and 5 of the Five Year Mission. Look at it that way and its a better-than-nothing conclusion to TOS.

There's pissing and moaning about whether its canon or not, but some of the stories in it are referenced in later movies (like Spock's origin) and some of the aliens from the show appear in the movies, too (the cat people). I think if it gets referenced that much, it might as well be considered canon. Doesn't do any harm.

>Have you seen the ... comic tie-ins?
I've read this monstrosity. I'd storytime it if it wasn't for this unbearable new captcha.

Oops, that was the wrong page. I of course meant to show this one with the Enterprise destroying new life and wasting civilisations, boldy exterminating life forms no man has exterminated before.

Hey fuck you, Macross Plus and 7 were awesome

Has anyone else watched DS9 recently? I've seen every episode up to Season 7 ep 8 and I'm either kind of burnt out or Season 7 sucks. What do you think?