ITT: Worst live comic adaptations

ITT: Worst live comic adaptations.

I was absolutely floored by how hard they fucked this up. It is literally on the level of Catwoman and Jonah Hex of "What in the fuck were they thinking?"

How dose iron fist have the worst fight seans in the Netflix shows the one that's about a king fu master also the lead is a terrible actor and the plot is dull and all the problems leaked over to the defenders which also sucked

Harold Meachum was the only good thing about the show.

>What in the fuck were they thinking?
"Let's just bang this shit out as fast and as cheaply as possible so we can get to the other more popular, less controversial IPs"

They could have either
>hired an asian actor to appease the SJWs
>hired an actor who looked like comic Danny Rand to appeal to comic fans
>hired an actor talented enough that people would like him regardless of his appearance
But they chose none of those options, and we got an actor who was so bad he made Jessica Jones look likable.

I wouldn't quite put it with Catwoman. IF was awful but it was still about a kid who was orphaned, trained by monks, and sought revenge/answers about his parents death while reclaiming his birth right. The execution was terrible, writing was bad, characters were puddle deep but it wasn't "Cats from the cat god gave you cat powers, Catwoman".

>They could have
Not hired Scott Buck after he displayed his awful showrunnership skills on Dexter for one.

Literally who the actor on top of being white just killed his chances. Also Asian/Black friendships are one of the rarest dynamics explored and it would've been organic.

>"What in the fuck were they thinking?"
Simple answer to this op
They were thinking dollar signs, capitalize on the super hero market so hard it didnt matter who they got for it just slap a name on it, get some director and casting director who has no real interest in super heroes, and/or has no experience filming action kungfu.
The director should have been the director of Kung Fu Hustle.
He knowd how to bend the rules, make it entertaining and how to hold back the crazy antics.

But no, they got someone who doesnt know martial arts to do stunts for them, all the while getting actual martial artists to play bit parts to make the lead look good.
It just doesnt work.

Test.

>Cats from the cat god gave you cat powers
Yeah but that's just the Burton origin. And people love Burton.

Well i ask you user this.
What if they did get an asian actor to play Danny.
But he is considered caucasian in the show.
Like how people inn theater have a black dude play a white dude and the audience suspend their belief of what race the character is originally and just say is a black dude playing a white dude.
Like how a girl can play as peter pan but peter pan is still a boy.
What would people think of that? What would you think of that?

Bump for this question

>blaming the actor for the failure of Iron Fist
Yeah it couldnt have been...
>the awful writing
>the awful choreography
>the decision to not put Danny in a mask and hire a stunt double like they did with DD
>giving an actor with no martial arts training 15 minutes to learn fight choreography
>hiring the showrunner from fucking Dexter season 8
But no it was Finn Jones bland performance that ruined the show.

How exactly would he be considered Caucasian though? Viewers don't have the kind of suspension of disbelief for TV shows that they do for theater.

please im still pissed off, im a huge iron fist and heroses for hire fan and this was shit, i didnt even watch the defenders

Jonah Hex wasn't even freaking remotely as bad as Catwoman or Ironfist.
Only thing truly bad about it was Fox and even she is overhated IMO.

>Literally who the actor
I guarantee you he was picked because he played Loras in Game of Thrones. This is sadly how casting has been done for a long time.

Thats the thing, you think that if they just show his parents and they say they are blood releatives regardless of what the actor looked like? Since SJWs seem to suspend reality all the time they would have no problem with this idea but would that be a middle ground the majority of people could accept, the actor is asian but the character is white. I mean we suspend belief that the actor is a super hero, why not race? I mean things like this could be a case by case issue.

Hit the nail on the head, user.

This, its making connections. Even when you arent good for a part.

>Dexter season 8
Man, I have no idea how you can make the final season of your show so damn boring. Season 6 was shit, but at least you could laugh at it. 8 is not only shit, it's shit that's only good at being a sedative.
And don't even get me started on that shitty villain. Bloody hell, I bet Buck thought he was being clever with that.

To be honest it was a lack of martial artist skill the actor cpuld have prepaired for before hand but the majority of the blame was the what you listed there.

>but would that be a middle ground the majority of people could accept
No? Most viewers would just wonder how a white couple made an Asian kid.

at least they didn't bend to pressure and hire a Asian actor

that's incredibly retarded and serves literally no purpose

Eh, were any of the GoT producers/directors etc working on this? Because otherwise it's the agent making those connections and getting the role not the actor.

That would've been better though. They could have picked some random Chinese guy off the street, and he would have acted better than Finn Jones.

>hired an asian actor to appease the SJWs
So he has to be Asian because he knows kung fu?
It would've been damned if you do, damned if you don't.

tho agree with you that finn jones is a terrible actor, iron fist is a white guy
i had a argument with a idiot on twitter
"so you are mad cause a white guy is playing a white character based on a white character from a western comic"

Marvel fucked up by not finding an actor who fit Danny so well that it would have made SJWs look stupid for questioning such a casting decision. Like how Hugh Jackman looked nothing like comic Wolverine, yet he acted the shit out of it so much that people didn't care that he was a foot too tall.

No it wasn't. Stop making shit up.
There was no "cat god" or whatever in Batman Returns and Catwoman's rebirth was left up to interpretation whether it was supernatural or if she was just really crazy.

when did the movie ever say there was a cat god,

To be fair Hugh Jackman was made for the role.

I didn't follow all the controversy, but did audiences really have such a problem with a white guy going to Asian territory and learning superpowers?
Hasn't this been a reocurring trend in superhero backstories for a while now?
How come no one complained when this happened in Batman Begins? Or Dr.Strange?
What made it so bad in Iron Fist?

Its really both, see the actor has to also make connections because the agent also has other clients. So to rely soley on an agent for work isnt wise.

social media gave the idiots a voice, just like the dumpster fire that is the black panther following most people that complained had no idea who iron fist was

>serves literally no purpose
Except shuts the sjws up

Because people were under the illusion that Iron Fist was Asian in the comics being the "King of Kun-Lun" without actually knowing.
Also because martial-arts = Asian. It's why there's never been a famous white martial artist in films, duh!

i read a tweet that said "i have been waiting for this film 4ever" im guess this idiot had only just heard of black panther and decided to jump on the sheep train

Not really. It would confuse them more than anything.

>social media gave the idiots a voice
But this still doesn't answer my question.
People had a voice in social media when Dr.Strange came out, and while that movie did have a controversy, few people complained that Stephen was a white man going to an Asian place to learn superpowers from the locals.
I just don't get why this trope suddenly became so terrible when Iron Fist did it.

to tell the truth i have no idea. seems dumb to complain about a trope thats like 50 years old, remember kung fu series

>hypes the hand as le epic evil organization
>does nothing interesting with it
It hurts so much. I had some faith in Defenders, but now I fearing for JJ2.

was defenders really shit cause i dont want to waste my time

Here I wasn't joking when I said it. Most people assumed that Iron Fist was Asian while more people knew that Dr. Strange wasn't Asian before the film. Also because of the actor playing Dr. Strange.

Also, a tv series is different from a big budget film, the voices surrounding it tend to be louder since the chances of it developing a niche community are larger.

>a trope thats like 50 years old
It's at least a hundred years old actually.
A lot of pulp heroes had "traveled to the Orient" as part of their backstory and I'm pretty sure several literary heroes and villains before did it too (Sherlock Holmes spent time in Tibet and Rocambole learned skills in the East after his redemption).
Before "dead parents/radioactive accident", "traveled to the Orient" was pretty much the default superhero backstory next to "lost family" or "war veteran". And it didn't stop after superheroes were introduced.

And while we can argue whether or not these depictions were respectful to Asian people or not, it seems really weird that people were okay with this for the better part of a century but nowadays it's really fucking horrible and racist for a white people to travel and be good at martial arts.

It was worse than every single character series, including Iron Fist.

knew it well thanks i think ill cut my tow nails
most asian country's don't mind if the west "borrows" from their culture, look at the whole thing over that model that wore that kimono and the sjw screamed culture appropriation only to have a Japanese modeling company invite her to model in a real kimono

>Also because of the actor playing Dr. Strange
I figured as much tumblrinas would go easier on Dr.Strange because they have the hots for Shlock Cucumberspatch
>a tv series is different from a big budget film, the voices surrounding it tend to be louder since the chances of it developing a niche community are larger
So you are saying tv shows have to be more careful with offending sensibilities than a big budget movie ?
I'm not sure if I follow this logic.

Well yeah, the West and the East have been borrowing parts of each other's culture for a while now in virtually all aspects of media (and beyond that, even).
People from foreign cultures don't seem to mind things like these even when American liberals insist they do. See: the "controversy" over Mario's Mexican costume in Mario Odyssey that was actually not a controversy at all since actual Mexicans didn't mind it and people were getting offended for them.
I've seen a lot of goofy depictions of Americans in South Korean tv shows that, while not racist, if the races were reversed in a Western tv show, would have resulted in media shitstorms.
Which isn't to say offensive depictions don't exist or that you shouldn't try to be respectful, but ideally, it shouldn't be such a "walking on eggshells" matter.

but once in a while you get this shit going on

Jackman looks like comic Wolverine a lot, facially. He's just a foot and a half taller and way more jacked.