Are Comics for Kids?

Is Hanselmann right in saying that the childish image the comic book industry has garnered is justified?

All entertainment will end up looking immature and simplistic if not childish if it mainly tries to turn in a profit.
All of it.
Because simple stuff is what sells best.

damn was werewolf jones so mad he shat his pants?

WWJ shitting his pants is probably the least disgusting thing he can do.

He is excitable to say the least

That's unrelated.

werewolf jones is here to shit the place right up

All media is childish, the problem is that the gap between mainstream and underground shit is way bigger than in other media.
I mean, we are talking about an industry where the most popular underground artists only sell 200-copy zines on bigcartel and the rare Fanta/D&Q blog-bait collection.

Also, Megg's Coven when?

Bump, it's an interesting topic.

Comic book fans have such garbage taste, even compared to fans of other mediums. The fact that something like Tomasi’s Superman or Saga is praised by fans and critics alike shows how dire the state of mainstream comics is

This comic seems more like he is mocking his readers who think of his work as "mature" or "adult" compared to other comics.

But anyway

1. 90% of everything is shit.
2. Dark and edgy doesn't make something necessarily adult.
3. Being for kids doesn't make something necessarily bad.
4. Many comics today are childish in a bad way.

Just look at the catalog and tell me comics are for adults.

WWJ is right you know

I guess it depends on what readers want out of their books. Some people want superheroes, others want funny shit, others might want horror.

It comes down to 2 questions:
1. What do you want out of your comics? What kind of stories do you want to read?
2. What do you think it would take to shake this childish image?

Personally, I'm going to read comics one way or another. I don't care if people think I'm a manchild for it (because I am). Caring about what other people think is overrated.

It's pretty childish to self-consciously wonder if what you enjoy doing is considered childish. I got over that shit when I was like 14. If you like something, do it and seek more. If you don't like something, avoid it. Do what thou wilt.

Also, I have a feeling the guy smashing a glass of cheap wine and shitting his pants while cursing children might not be a straightforward author soapbox, but I haven't read enough MMO to know how strong the author's sense of irony is.

imagine living such a boring life that you've never shit yourself over one of your convictions

mmmmm soy!

He's right. Stop being self conscious.

When did WWJ become the voice of reason, or is it supposed to be the opposite?

I think that's kind of the point. He's saying something supposedly reasonable, but he's getting way too worked up about it.

In essence: quit gettin' mad at video games