JSA Storytime: Question

Good evening owls,

it's her again

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/brandonvietti/status/964654693098995712
youtube.com/watch?v=NIjAHPsxW_o
reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/7xuat9/dc_ink_and_dc_zoom_full_ala_panel/dub8qvs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

let's read one before I get back to averting worst future

shit's about to go down, lol

It went from 85 degrees yesterday to 35 degrees today, fuck Missouri weather.

that happens in Texas a lot too

>Elektra got a movie before Shiva

Frank Miller was a mistake.

>Captain Atom hardcover

Was that a collection, then?

>worst future

What game are you playing that an Eric Trump presidency is a possibility?

you know how bad any Hollywood Shiva movie would be, come on

Not incredibly interesting news but Marvel is reprinting Gaiman's Eternals series which probably means they're going to be showing up soon and Hickman's final issue of S.H.I.E.L.D.is getting released so at least that's finally happening.

oh, I'm saving the mages in DAI and this shitty future is pretty shitty, but hopefully once I kill this one dude we go back to a non-shitty timeline

but, of course, point taken

speaking of that game, I had a good long laugh when that nun got sucker-punched

Why is it always so fucking funny?

no shit? that's been comics vaporware for how long now?

Oh yeah, DA:I. Did you set up a world state?

yeah, some tough choices, but I pretty much matched my game

One day I'm going to see what happens when someone makes the most-fucked world-state.
Actually, there are probably youtube videos that showcase that already.

How did your DA:O game end?

Did Party Down have Party Downs? Is that why it was all he said?

I couldn't even tell you when the last issue came out, I'm guessing this is Marvel trying to get Hickman back.

Alistair and I ran off together to be badass Wardens because he'd be a miserable King

It would have had to have been like before 2012

>Eternals showing up soon

NEW QUASAR SERIES CONFIRMED

>Hickman's SHIELD
Shit, I think that series started before I even dropped Marvel. Did it fall behind a filing cabinet or something?

I have now also recruited Blackwall and Iron Bull

Bull is a riot, Blackwall sets off my BS alarms. He's lying about something.

>watching Cosby

man, that's a little ironic now, isn't it

Hey At least the Governor isn't abandoning your municipality to feudal warlord, like the Missouri of this comic.

The first time I tried to play through that I couldn't figure out how to path up to where Blackwall was, so I think I recruited him last.
Sera is worst companion

I'm being a completist but the urge to tell Sera to fuck off was very immediately strong

that's a good way to get killed

glad they cut "the decadence", but I've never seen this ad

That is a lot of really good stuff coming out in that column.

Unrelated, but someone dug up an old interview with Gerber, and it looks like he might have had a hand in Hector Hall getting abruptly killed off in JSA. Gerber wanted to write Dr. Fate really badly, and was given the title after Infinite Crisis. His book was then delayed due to health problems, then he died after seven issues.
:(

oh wait, that's not part of the title, huh

Ah, but did they TRULY cut the decadence? I mean, I guess maybe because Katar was less shirtless.

alas

are we waiting for METAL to be done for some new Hawkmaterial?

oh shit, chest hair Vic is, like, he just powerleveled

Maybe. Sales for "Hawkman: Found" were pretty good, even though it was a pretty non-essential tie-in.
Rank #9 in December: 64,617
Rank #102 in January: 22,289 reorders

I love that last panel dialogue.

I think Lemire hinted at the possibility of a Hawkman series

Man I really hope Schmidt gets to keep drawing Dinah if he's staying at DC.

He tried to redesign/modernise the 70s BC costume similair to the current fishnets and DAMN THAT'S TASTY

lol, set in Texas

I thought Lemire had basically said he was doing something, but maybe that was it?

twitter.com/brandonvietti/status/964654693098995712

I don't think I'm ready for the YJfags to scream everywhere again.

what, party banter is what we all live for

kill me now, please

>You know I had to call, you know why, right?
>Why?
>Because, yo, I never, ever call and ask you to storytime something, right?
>Yeah.
>You know what I wanna read, right?
>What you wanna read?
>I wanna read that Lady Shiva shit.
>Lady Shiva again?
>Awww yeah, again and again!
youtube.com/watch?v=NIjAHPsxW_o

Still mad at that show for taking the name of one of my favourite comics for something with a completely different (stupid) premise.

I'm annoyed that if (when desu) we get a Young Justice book it'll likely just be the YJ show line up with the show personalities.

Wu Tang prolly know who Shiva is.

Wu Tang are a huge bunch of nerrrrrrds

They are also clearly not to be disrespected by a man with a very punchable face

reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/7xuat9/dc_ink_and_dc_zoom_full_ala_panel/dub8qvs/
Somebody made a whole post of all alleged art designs for DC Ink and DC Zoom from a panel
In the actual panel it says "art not final" so we'll see I guess

And the Teen Titans one seems to be focused on Raven specifically

they should just give 90sfags a containment universe

speaking of nostalgiafans, when IS that Giffen/Lemire book supposed to be coming?

Giffen/Lemire book...? that sounds like mess waiting to happen

Damn right they are. Especially Rza, I think, if only because of him playing Blind Master in GI Joe.

And except ODB, who was probably too high on PCP to ever actually read comics.

this is when it's basically okay to pee yourself in fear, right?

>And the Teen Titans one seems to be focused on Raven specifically

WHEN WILL THEY STOP DOING THIS?!?!

Although I guess "demon father wat do" is a kids-relatable theme.

the Yang one looks comfy

Pretty much.

Take your synergy loving ass elsewhere.

>This fucking entrance

Ghostface Killa also went by Tony Starks, and Method Man by Johnny Blaze. And of course, RZA name-dropped ROM: Spaceknight, Unicron and Galvatron on the same verse of "Impossible".
Fucking nerds.

12 issue mini, announced in October with no dates

I'd take more Earth-16 for sure

I am gonna laugh so hard if it is about Trigon because Raven has Wolfman's book coming out

Like jesus, give her another story and struggle.

Oh, it's June 2018--12 issue maxi THE INFERIOR FIVE

oh my god that second letter, the response

hol-ee shit

Giffen said that it's going to be very Stranger Things inspired. Kid Gang stuff in a town affected by INVASION.

Hope it's better than its inspiration

Also apparently both Roy Thomas and Gary Friedrich are from Jackson?

it's a small fucking world

yeah, I remember this

thanks for reading, we'll be back Tuesday, now I have a very naughty magister to go kill

Oh and you KNOW they'll have a synergy Trigon in the relaunched Titans book to go along with the live action show.

To quote another East Coast rapper,
>Commence the ass-kicking

>you know how bad any Hollywood Shiva movie would be, come on
This

thanks again op

Thanks a ton for the storytime! It's been a long-ass week but this arc always cheers me up for some reason.

I'm honestly more annoyed by the fact that Shado got a prestige miniseries while Shiva, who's been around since 1976, doesn't even have a one-shot to her name. And I love Shado, but fuck man...

Thanks for running OP.

I have only vague memories of Batmania, but god that movie (and franchise) was huge.
And, on that point, time to abandon Sup Forums for at least the weekend, as the entire board explodes into Black Panther shitposting as racists rail against liberals vastly overselling it was some kind of messianic tentpole.

Yeah, that is really damn weird. You'd think Denny'd have enough pull at DC to make a Shiva book happen if he'd wanted to, but I suppose he didn't.

And then once he lost control of her, she got so much more generic Dragon Lady.

A fair point.
It isn't like the Elektra movie was good.

Painfully so, yeah. It's crazy how Shiva by O'Neil (and Puckett except for the death wish thing) is, in my opinion, one of the most interesting characters in DC Comics. But written by anyone else, she's one of the absolute blandest. Which is why the mini thing bothers me so much. I wish O'Neil had written a Shiva mini that could be easily reprinted and gave a clear, concise view of her character and personality, if only so I could throw it over people's heads when I find out the first place they saw her was in fucking Hush or Death in the Family.

redpill me on Shiva

Just got outta black panther did I miss it all

How bad is Sup Forums going to get this weekend?

Have you been reading this run since the first thread? If so, good, because that's it. That's the redpill. You're reading the absolute finest, best Lady Shiva there ever was and ever will be. Literally everything else, even her appearances in Puckett's Batgirl, which are the closest to this, is downhill from here.
From here she's either a plot device (Dixon's Robin, Death in the Family), turned too much into an honor-bound samurai (Simone's BoP, especially v2), or simply used as a flunky miniboss for Batman/Robin/whoever to beat up (Hush, Loeb's Superman/Batman, almost every single New52 appearance).
And that's without even going into how, after Hush, an awful lot of writers and fans got this moronic idea that she's all about the League of Assassins, which has now seeped into videogames (Arkham Origins) and TV shows (Beware the Batman) and has resulted in exactly zero good stories or worthwhile character development.
The best thing Shiva has ever been in the last 10 years was the Blackest Night Question special, which was written by Greg Rucka... and Denny O'Neil.
And then there's OG 70s Lady Shiva from O'Neil's Richard Dragon: Kung-Fu Fighter, which is where she originally came from, and that is...

It's kind of amazing.

I'm going with 'Nuke it from orbit' tier.

There's just waaaay too much hype for it for the trolling to be survivable.

Steam is having a Year of the Doggo sale and the banners are adorable.

>mafia I is back on steam
>isn't on sale
Well shit. Gonna get me Anachronox, Slave Zero and Death to Spies.

yeahe these storytimes are the first time I've been exposed to her besides Loeb's stuff

what do you wish they did with her now?

Get Rucka and O'Neil to write her a mini, for starters. Ban anyone who tries to use her in an LoA story for seconds. But most of all, I want to see writers who are genuinely interested in her and are willing to go deeper. Everyone seems to just see "smug snooty evil kung fu chick who kills people" and want to either take her down a peg (and she really has none of those left) or go extra hard on the evil part to prop other characters up.
But look at her in this run. She's invincible, sure, but not to give Vic or someone else a physical obstacle to overcome. Everything, her invincibility, her aloofness, her superb confidence, it all works because Vic is not that, and maybe he could be. But like Shiva proves, it'd cost him his humanity. It would require a degree of detachment from the world that Vic will never be able to achieve.
But Shiva also has her own motives as well, and what's amazing about them is that they can be as simple or as complex as you want them to be. Either she just wants a good fight and keeps Vic alive and trains him because she feels he could be a good fighter, or she takes special interest in people that she sees herself reflected in, destroys them, then hands them the tools to rebuild themselves from scratch as a way to learn more about herself. There's a reason why she calls herself Shiva.
And that's the kind of depth I want to see. I want her to get a writer who sees more than a tool or a jobber. I want a story with her that I can read three or four times and always come out with something new. And if not, at least put her in a fighting game so I can beat the shit out of the DCU as catharsis.

Thanks.

Honestly, Shado has been ruined even worse than Shiva has, so...

I'd like a new writer to tackle her
Rucka just seems to have lost his "it"

Shado's had it hard (I'm still salty that her first appearance in Lemire's run is her literally in chains, and the rest isn't much good either) but I dunno if she's had it as hard as Shiva. I mean, sure, they both got beaten by Harley Quinn, but at least Shado's was off-panel, while Shiva got literally shot in the ass.
Unless you're talking about the Arrow show, which I haven't seen.

Art Baltazar legit has autism :(

You know those kids who won playing with building blocks they try to build something up as high as they can before completely knocking you down like a kids size Godzilla? That's basically Shiva. But instead of building blocks she breaks down and builds up people. More often break than build.

It's not just about the power levels, Shado is just Ollie's dad's cocksleeve and she has a gimmicky daughter that's much more popular than her because she taps the stupid group of people that love shota/loli.
And hey at least Shiva still beats Batman every time, even if the bat brats beat her up. Shado is just super incompetent.

so you're saying she should have a tournament arc like the girl from Kill la Kill

I'd be willing to give Rucka the benefit of the doubt because sometimes he seems to be the only pro left who cares about O'Neil's Question, and he did mention that writing Shiva was tons of fun in the Blackest Night issue. But yeah, I'd be willing to see a new writer take a stab as long as they were actually interested in her. And I dunno, I just don't see anyone at DC right now who'd care that much. Look at how Tynion brought back the fucking Detroit shit of all things for 'Tec. I'd like to say maybe Gene Luen Yang, but that feels like typecasting the guy.

>More often break than build.
Especially nowadays, when they seem to have completely forgotten she's just as good at healing people than she is at harming them.