H. H. Holmes

What does Sup Forums think of H. H. Holmes?

He was different than most modern serial killers; his ambitions far exceeded those of his contemporary successors.

For those of you who don't know about him, he built a three story hotel, dubbed "The Murder Castle," that was meticulously designed for his purposes.

He killed as many as 200 people between 1888 and 1894. Most of his killings were carried out during the Chicago World's Fair.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes#Illinois_and_the_.22Murder_Castle.22

It's impressive how much planning went into the construction. He was obviously extremely intelligent.

So what's Sup Forums's opinion of him? Misunderstood genius? Or one of the most degenerate, vile people that ever lived?

Serial killers are generally considered a taboo topic, so I'm interested to hear your honest opinion.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Devil-White-City-Madness-Changed/dp/0375725601/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If the guy is a murderer, so what if he is a genius?

i read a book on this guy it was fascinating.
i can't believe how little notoriety he gets

I've read "The devil in the white city". Interesting stuff. I am wondering why neither Holmes nor the Chicago World's Fair are more known nowadays.

amazon.com/Devil-White-City-Madness-Changed/dp/0375725601/

I was just looking at this, I'm thinking about reading it.

>misunderstood genius

you'd have a nigger dindu nuffin mentality to believe this

Isn't he who AHS Hotel was based on?

Not sure, I bailed after the first episode.

What the fuck is a "contemporary successor"?
An oxymoron is what

you're right, I meant today's serial killers

read that book this year, it's pretty good. Not just the Holmes half the Architecture and organization and realization of the World fair is also interesting. Holmes was somewhat of a highly intelligent sociopath who could hack most people into doing and believing the absurdest things. Everywhere he went he spread trust especially with females. He would have debts all his live but would talk himself out of many of them with ease. He had his wives and even their children killed while pretending they went elsewhere without anyone noticing for years. For me he is one of the most pragmatic serial Killers he just wanted to kill as many as possible with the means he had

i read it a long time ago but its really interesting in general. lots of fascinating chicago history combined with a compelling psychopath main character.

No matter how creative or clever a serial killer may have been, they are still taking other people's lives for personal gratification. There's no way to reconcile that selfishness.

Not to say we shouldn't learn what we can from them, if only to better understand the darkness inside us all. It's kind of like the "forbidden study" in medicine: human experimentation isn't permitted on ethical grounds, but if some wacko in a dungeon during the Second World War has data from thousands of trials on human dismemberment, we aren't going to throw that knowledge away.

Well you do have plenty of modern serial killers who have a "house of horrors" like your Gacy and your Dahmer. I think that the difference is the diligence of record keeping. Bluebeards like Holmes (and black widows) were very popular back then and it's damn hard to pull that off these days. Red flags come up.

You're telling me this guy built a real life version of Sen's Fortress?

that's a good way to look at it

kek pretty much

Yes, and I'm glad it was because that's how I found out about him. Very interesting man. Serial killing a crazy hobby that would be very interesting. HH was smuggling rum up in my hometown on the west coast of Canada while on the run from the American police

Wasn't season five of American Horror Story loosely based around him?

Bluebeard?
I think there are probably others who have never been caught with insane high scores, we just never find them because they make the bodies disappear for ever

>Devil in the White City, an upcoming film starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Holmes, is set to be directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Billy Ray, based on the book of the same name.

I heard through the grapevine last year or so that Scorsese is making his next movie about him. DeCaprio may be involved as well.