>We live in an era where having 2D animation is considered a gimmick

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YL01sPFHfKw
youtube.com/watch?v=-_4LhiX8ha0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZHURiOqMVTI
youtube.com/watch?v=kpLX_gMwKms
youtube.com/watch?v=hlzH9GJgoHY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Where are all the 3D+hand-drawn movies that Paperman was supposed to usher in?

>mixed media can only be marketed a grand total of once

When the only way 2D can exist in the entirety of Hollywood films is by hiding it in CG or live-action films or making CG disguised as 2D, it's a little sad.

Especially considering there are an average of 600 films released by Hollywood a year and zero of them are 2D. You have to look overseas for that.

>only way 2D can exist

Or maybe, just maybe, most directors don't want to make a 2D animated film. You do realize how long it takes to make a 2D animated film, right? It's always a major risk because most attempts at "2D animated adult feature" has historically either been smut, raunchy comedies, or kids/family movies. And historically, only one of those three categories have done really well, commercially and domestically.

It takes way more effort and vision, and the fact that it has to compete with twice the effort thanks to its history to get even remotely even with the EXACT SAME CONCEPT but just "cartoonishly GC" for payoff is ultimately a symptom of the animation process itself, alongside the progress of animation standards.

My guess on why it’s like this is that it’s a mixture of the ‘animation is for kids’ stigma, the fact of how 99% of studios hate spending money, putting in effort and taking risks
And the Oscars not caring about animation

Directors don't get to choose if they want their film to be in 2D. Unless you think people like Chris Sanders just prefers CG over his lifetime of 2D experience.

Also due i the fact that audiences tastes and preferences change to where they don't value 2D as much as CG and don't think it's worth the admissions price. So in other words they have shit taste

for now.

all we need is another "Shrek" a movie that's revolutionary, that also uses all the advantages of 2D.
dont look at big studios right now, they are content with their realistic, EYE-popping CGI.

>3d animated movie has a stylish graphic 2d animated opening

usually makes me wish the rest of the movie would also look like it and not be the same old super bland 3d animated shit

Sorry but 2d cant be reanimated couple of months before the release because director went overboard with his vision or executives found out that song will make them mad dosh.

it's just business. if you want art look for independent studios.

We were able to tell stories using 2D animation for decades, I don't know why it's suddenly a problem now just because you can't rewrite the whole thing in 7 months.

Oh also Emperor's New Groove.

that movie was 20% done, animators were pissed about the change. all their hard work went nowhere, also you can see they animation in final movie wasnt that impressive.

>Sorry but 2d cant be reanimated couple of months before the release

that's not what I'm asking for??

you're looking at big companies who want to make big money, they rarely risk and and they always cater to their audiences

It's sad that ambitious handdrawn animated films don't make much money.

I never said that, fuck off, you don't even know what movie I was talking about

youtube.com/watch?v=YL01sPFHfKw

i like this upcoming experiment, cgi animals in 2d environment. reverse of "where the wild things are"

So do you think Disney having hits with 2D movies for 75+ years was a fluke?

It's not as if their writing has changed, Moana is barely any different than Little Mermaid in terms of script. It's just a shame to abandon all their progress towards 2D animation for photo realistic CG.

>mfw this movie wasn't going to be about the Jungian shadow

they had to catch up to pixar and dreamworks, now they outdid both, and can rest for a while.

>now they outdid both
You mean they bought one and the other failed at the box office for like, five movies in a row. Now they bought FOX who owns Blue Sky Studios and haven't shut it down yet, which means they have three CG studios.

And if Lucasfilm Animation isn't shut down yet, that makes four CG studios. I know they are trying to sabotage Lucas Animation because they don't care for it as apparent with Strange Magic.

i'm talking about Hyperion engine, the one they use to make hugheass cities (bh6) realistic fur(zootropolis) and water (vaiana: ocean's treasure).

also, yeah, they stole pixar's boss. but that's another story.

I'm guessing that since it was 2D they had to commit or else the movie would get delayed since they would have to draw all new kinds of assets. Best case scenario, they had enough assets they could cleverly reuse them or simply cut the scene entirely.
Nowadays, all you gotta do is load a scene, change a camera, grab an animator and go to work, more or less. So if they need a last minute change, it's definitely possible, so by all means it's less risky for the business side of things.
I'd wager its more of a time = money type thing.

pretty much, cgi is like puppetry now, zootopia was apparently 40% done, finished scenes and whatnot, after the rewrite they had to pick these scenes, tear them apart, and reanimate again.

youtube.com/watch?v=-_4LhiX8ha0

they said the story and movie was coming together, like roght pieces into the right holes.

I still don't understand why it costs way more to make CGI animated features than handdrawn stuff. The average Pixar film costs twice as much as The Princess and the Frog to make.

THIS. That stuff was awesome and had huge potential.

rendering. you need powerful tools that make detailed objects and their proper lighting

They're paying to maintain systems,renderfarms,people to rig and model the characters since nobody wants to do that for some reason. There's alot of setup that goes into CGI films.
2D films, you just need some good animators, good colorists, and a decent editor.

its an expensive = faster and cheaper = slower type thing.

I wonder how shit Japan's computers for their animations are. There shouldn't be any reason why their anime be mastered below 1080p in this day and age.

>Or maybe, just maybe, most directors don't want to make a 2D animated film.
Don't confuse what we see in theaters as the only thing people want to make. Shit, look at how much better the original script for Zootopia was before the suits came in and told them to make it "less sad".

>most attempts at "2D animated adult feature" has historically either been smut, raunchy comedies, or kids/family movies. And historically, only one of those three categories have done really well, commercially and domestically.
Yes, kids/family movies, which means there are plenty of opportunities to make those with traditional media still and be successful if the movie is good. Don't bring up the Princess and the Frog bombing, either. It looked like a stupid story, had (and I'm sorry to say) a mostly black cast so everyone assumed it was a cynical, muh-diversity cash-in, the trailer was god awful and shockingly all of this lead up to the movie turning out to be below mediocre. It's not the worse thing ever, but it doesn't meet the quality to belong next to things like The Lion King or the rest of Disney's hand drawn animated films. But because it was hand draw, it couldn't help but be compared to those.

If you want to know the real reason why 2D is all but abandoned, go to any game or movie FX school and you will immediately see something alarming; there are hardly any artists in the classes. Believe it or not those places don't teach you to be one, they teach you how to use the programs. Yes it's easier if you are an artist, and you get better grades in the end. CG movies also have artists working on them, but they can be the smallest group in the mass. It only takes 1 artist to make a 3D model, then their job is done. After that you have the people who rig and animate and voice it doing all the rest of the work.
A traditionally animated movie needs a team of all artists working around the clock. That kind of talent isn't common now, or cheap.

>how much better the original script for Zootopia was before the suits came in and told them to make it "less sad".

those weren't suits.

wdas couldnt figure out how to end the movie, then they showed it to pixar guys who facepalmed hard after the screening

>they showed it to pixar guys

You realize you don't have to literally be wearing a suit to fit that description, right? They're higher up the food chain and they're much more concerned with money, market appeal and homogenization than any artistic vision or idea. They're suits, or at least they played the role of that when they had the movie neutered.

Wasn't the movie initially like Logan dark when they wrote it?

2D animation simply doesn't impress normies and their brats as a medium. And apparently get this, these people consider CGI animation more "mature" so if you were to show them a 2D segment about mass murder ending with a woman being raped and then killed they consider that family friendly because it's not 3D models.

braintrust, partner studio.

>neutered

Rrrright

it was dystopian dark, with deadpool kind of humour

Imperfect engine. You won't see decent quality hand drawn animation return to this world UNTIL robots with the ability to hand draw are invented and programmed to draw specific art styles.

So like a Paul Verhoven movie, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZHURiOqMVTI
youtube.com/watch?v=kpLX_gMwKms
youtube.com/watch?v=hlzH9GJgoHY

>mixed media can only be marketed a grand total of once
You only get *one* shot, do not miss your chance to blow.

The method that Paperman used is apparently still too expensive for feature films.

>Wasn't the movie initially like Logan dark when they wrote it?

No, it just had an actual conflict relating to the world and the way it worked instead of relying on a randomly generated villain just to make stuff happen. Yeah it wasn't the happiest thing, but it still wasn't even close to the death of Mufasa, Little Foot's mom or the beginning of UP, let alone the Logan movie. Plus it would have been an actual happy ending if there was something more significant to overcome.

As it was, the movie started out stupidly/bubbly happy like a Steven Universe episode, and ended that way with barley a pulse in-between. I would rather the movie have kept its gravitas so there was actually a rewarding feeling at the end. I guess we can't have kids frown or feel any real emotions today. Got to make sure everything is padded and safe just like playgrounds are today.

>so there was actually a rewarding feeling at the end.

let's say predators are finally free from the suffering that lasted generations, what should happen next?

>let's say predators are finally free from the suffering that lasted generations, what should happen next?

Them getting to live normal, collar-less lives like the prey animals isn't enough of a happy end? That would have changed the entire world for the better.

It's not really that rewarding if the movie is 89 minutes of dystopia depressing with 1 minute of a happy ending speech.

>I guess we can't have kids frown or feel any real emotions today. Got to make sure everything is padded and safe just like playgrounds are today.
So thats why the collars were cut from the film. Cant have them drawing attention to it now can they?

it would and should end with slaughter of oppresive prey, not happy ending.

It's just traced cgi.

kind of funny when you remember when a lot of indie artists are just as spineless about their art as executives for big companies who employed precisely to make a product as inoffensive as possible

that's why it's black&white.

let's hope Claus will do well.

disney writers have this weird wirting policy( you can find it on vimeoat video about zootopia) "i am going to come up with something and there is a really big chance it might not work" , that's why they spent 2 years on that "furry aparthed the movie".

I really like this

>from the creator of "Leafie: Hen into the wild"

better bring tissues.