ITT: Post unproduced animation projects

>My Peoples (also known as Once in a Blue Moon, Elgin's Peoples, Angel and Her No Good Sister and A Few Good Ghosts) was a film developed in the late 1990s by Barry Cook, co-director of Mulan. Despite the fact that he even went as far as to hire voice actors, as well as musicians to score the film, it was scrapped in favor of Chicken Little in the early 2000s.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UIuqZRvnBd4
vimeo.com/134231984
animatedviews.com/2014/buried-treasure-the-ill-fated-voyage-to-treasure-planet-2/
vimeo.com/9930528
disney.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Atlantis
youtube.com/watch?v=LSbRRC1KL3I
disney.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cancelled_projects
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Set in Appalachia, Texas in the 1940s, My Peoples was to have told the story of two feuding families: the Harpers and the McGees, whose two children, Elgin and Rose, fall in love. Elgin was to have dabbled in folk-art, creating dolls from various household objects which included the following:
>Angel: a heaven-themed doll made from a flour scoop that Elgin created as a proposal gift for Rose.
>Abe: an Abraham Lincoln doll made from a scrub-brush who had spoons for ears.
>Cherokee: a First Nations boy doll fashioned out of an old garden glove.
>Miss Spinster: an old lady doll made from the wooden leg of Elgin's dear, departed aunt.
>Good O'Boy: a hillbilly-type doll made from car parts.
>Blues Man: a doll with the mannerisms of a >Blues musician, constructed from the handle of a broken mandolin.
>Crazy Ray: a convict-themed doll made from a tree stump that lived under Elgin's porch.
>Angel's Dog: Angel's canine companion, made from a spool and clothespin.

> Disney exec: ok but where do we put the Living la Vida Loca dance montage

>Wishing that Elgin would forget his about daughter, Old Man McGee concocted a batch of his late mother's "Blue Moon Brew", intending to use it to erase Elgin's memory.

>However, his potion accidentally brought the dolls to life instead, at which point Angel declared that she did not want to help Rose and Elgin get together and proceeded to leave town. Some of the dolls went after her in an attempt to get her to come back while others did what they could to help the couple, which included keeping Herbert Hollingshead, the man Rose's father tried to set her up with, away.

Now here's the real kicker:
>David Stainton flew to the Florida Animation Branch to announce that the film would be cancelled in favor of Mark Dindal's Chicken Little. This was because he felt that the latter film, with its familiar story and characters would be able to reach more of a general audience. Stainton also announced that the Branch would be closing down the following year, prompting Cook to look for work elsewhere.
How foolish he was.

You guys are free to post btw I don't mind if there's interruption between posts

I'm getting Titanic vibes from these two, and I think it's only because the girl's name is Rose.

Wasn't there something about later adding the idea of the families ghosts possessing the dolls?

I think that might have made it more cohesive. This sounds like way to many story elements for one film.

Funfact pic related was supposed to be voiced by Dolly Parton.

I don't think GCI dolls against traditional animation would have worked well either.

Here's Rose Mcgee and Jesus christ fuck the Disney wiki for having such low quality pics, I had to go to another archive site for a better resolution.
I believe it was supposed to look like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=UIuqZRvnBd4

Male protag

Got one last one to post:
>Cervantes’ Don Quixote remains the second most translated book in the world after The Bible. Its humorous tales of an old man who becomes a knight and wanders around Spain have long been cheered audiences.
>Walt Disney had his own version in mind—an animated one. What the studio initially planned as a short expanded into a feature film, which went into development in 1951. Then the studio encountered a problem: in the novel, Don Quixote is a lunatic. How could they make him into a viable protagonist? Despite completing a rough outline of the film and a number of concept sketches, the studio shelved the project. It enjoyed a brief revival in the 1990s following The Hunchback of Notre Dame, when the animation studio again did some concept work. Though the studio bosses loved the concept art, they found the adult themes in the story troubling, and relegated Don Quixote back to the storage closet.

>it was scrapped in favor of Chicken Little in the early 2000s.
Someone at disney actually thought this was a good idea, jesus christ...

Holy shit she is CUTE

;_;

Here's another test for interaction between a 2D character and a CG one.

vimeo.com/134231984

Fraidy Cat, an homage to Alfred Hitchcock movies centered around a pampered housecat and a cockatoo getting caught up in some thriller adventure, which was to have been directed by Ron Clements and John Musker

Canned because the execs went "DUDE KIDS DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT SOME OLD FAT GUY'S MOVIES LMAO"

God that's a pleasant design.

Oof. I can't say I like how that looks. Some 2D on top of 3D tends to be fine if it's handled well, but 3D on 2D looks very... jarring.

>we will never have a Treasure Planet 2

Article explaining the ill-fated franchise
animatedviews.com/2014/buried-treasure-the-ill-fated-voyage-to-treasure-planet-2/

looks a bit weird, like both animations styles have to compensate for the interaction instead of just drawing things in 2d and mapping 3d over it
I mean, I assume that's usually how it's done

Somewhat Sup Forums related, but apparently there was supposed to be a race car game, something akin to Mario Kart, but with the Epic Mickey franchise.
>Epic Disney Racers was a planned racing video game that would of featured the characters from the Disney animated canon and characters from the Epic Mickey franchise, and it was original going to be a spin-off to the Epic Mickey series, but the game was later scrapped during early production.

>The sequel was to pick up where the first film left off, with Jim Hawkins going to the Royal Interstellar Academy. At the Academy, he is a hotshot “natural,” but he doesn’t follow the rules very well. Hence, he gets off to a shaky start – especially with his classmate Kate, who is very smart and has a type A personality. Kate’s father is Admiral Blake, the Commander of the Navy. Jim and Kate vie for top of the class but have very different skills.
>Captain Amelia is dean of the Academy, which has a brand-new vessel: the Centurion. Designed by Doctor Doppler, the Centurion is the fastest ship in the galaxy. B.E.N. is its pilot.
>The pirate Ironbeard desires to commandeer the Centurion. This ruthless villain is relatively all iron – almost nothing of whom he originally was, inside and out, is left. He leads a group of pirates to hijack the Centurion while Jim and Kate are aboard. The Navy can’t catch the Centurion, due to the vessel’s speed and armor.
>Jim and Kate escape the Centurion. Jim decides he needs a pirate to help catch pirates. They find his old buddy Long John Silver in the Lagoon Nebula, where he is running a smuggling ring. Silver agrees to help when he hears about the Centurion. Jim and Kate receive a tracking signal from B.E.N. – who is currently hostage aboard the Centurion – and follow via Silver’s creaky vessel. They discover the Centurion docked near the Botany Bay Prison Asteroid.

>Ironbeard is using the Centurion to disable Botany Bay’s security systems. Jim, Kate and Silver sneak aboard the Centurion, where Silver reveals to Jim that he wants to take the Centurion for himself. He asks Jim to join him. Kate overhears this and is horrified, especially since the two have, of course, started falling for each other during the adventure.
>Ironbeard discovers the intruders, charging into a fight in which Silver is injured. Meanwhile, the other pirates throw down ladders to the prison below, allowing swarms of elated prisoners to climb up into the ship. Silver, Jim, and Kate exit the Centurion amidst all the confusion. However, Ironbeard shoots down Silver’s ship. They plummet to the prison asteroid below, crash-landing.
>Kate is angry at Jim and storms off. Jim is about to blow her off as well when Silver tells him to give her a chance. He reveals a part of his past through a flashback, when a young (non-cyborg) Silver screwed up a relationship with the love of his life – a decision which directly led to his life of piracy.
>Silver has a very dangerous cargo with him that he had been trying to smuggle and sell for a fortune, which has the power of a neutron bomb. Jim, Kate and Silver reconcile and work together to fix Silver’s ship and prevent the Centurion, filled with the most evil pirates in the galaxy, from going on an insane robbing-and-killing spree. At the last second, Silver reluctantly gives up his “retirement fund” in order to destroy the Centurion, with Ironbeard and all the pirates on board.
>Silver again parts from Jim and Kate, telling them to take care of each other. A few years later, Jim and Kate graduate with honors, while a proud Silver secretly watches from the shadows, smiling.

>America's Next Muppet was an unmade show that ABC ordered one full script and five episode outlines for review of in 2005. The show, had it been picked up, would be produced by The Jim Henson Company for Disney, parodying the reality show America's Next Top Model. The show was planned to feature the famous Muppet Show family characters holding a fictional talent contest to find the next Muppet to add to their famous group. The show was announced and tentatively scheduled to air in spring or summer of 2006.
Aw man, this would've been fucking amazing.

Also, Ironbeard was to be voiced by Willem Dafoe and the movie was canned shortly before he was to come in for the first recording sessions.

A really good concept for a Disney movie. If only they could go back for this project it could be another great hit movie... but only in CGI style, like "Frozen"for example.

>The Fujitas are deleted characters and antagonists originally meant to make an appearance in the 2014 Disney animated feature film Big Hero 6.
Imagine all the fanart they could've had.

Sounds neat
>Willem Dafoe as an evil robot pirate

FUCK I WANT THIS NOW

>Carmen Got Expelled was a television series pitched to Disney Television Animation by El Tigre creator Jorge R. Gutierrez in 2010, that only remained as a pilot episode consisting of a fully-animated intro sequence and a color animatic. The pilot was posted onto Vimeo by Gutierrez the same year.
>The series was to revolve around Carmen, a rebellious young girl who has been expelled by every school she takes part in until she meets the Baron, owner of a private academy he enrolls her into, and now must do whatever it takes to avoid being expelled again.
Here's the vimeo:
vimeo.com/9930528
God dammit Disney.

They'll probably show up in the show at least. They're already planning on recycling a rejected "Japanese Game Show Host" villain from the movie for use in the series and casting Paul Reubens in the part.

>Team Atlantis is a cancelled animated TV series produced by Disney Television Animation, consisted of three episodes, later released as a complination-movie called "Atlantis: Milo's Return", which was released on home video, in May 20, 2003.
It was also supposed to have a Gargoyles crossover.
Source: disney.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Atlantis

Oh, speaking of Disney's cancelled projects:

youtube.com/watch?v=LSbRRC1KL3I

What the fuck

All these abandoned ideas. Man.....

As someone trying to make a historical fantasy this thread is depressing as hell.

Sometimes cancelling a project can be a good thing

There's a whole book dedicated to unfinished disney movies
Also this
disney.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cancelled_projects

There's two actually.

Lost and Found is focused mostly on 80s and 90s stuff with chapters dedicated to Wild Life and My Peoples, which were the most high profile canned projects of the early 2000s.

This book, Disney That Never Was, is more focused on Walt-era canned projects

I probably would have tried it.