Recent Purchases/Shelf Thread

Post/discuss recent purchases, shelves, collections, etc.

Don't know where to buy? Try these:
amazon.com/
instocktrades.com/
cheapgraphicnovels.com/
[your local comic shop here]

Are you Euro or UK and don't know where you buy? Try these:
cheap-comics.com (EU)
booksetc.co.uk/ (EU)
speedyhen.com (UK, hefty fees if delivery address outside of UK)
bookdepository.com (free worldwide shipping but known to manhandle books)

New list of things out next week:
comiclist.com/index.php/newreleases/next-week

Here's that big lot of Astro City I originally posted a week or so ago. Basically everything up to The Dark Age Book 3 in pristine condition.

And here's my latest purchase. Went to my local bookstore, which always has some really good shit (like the O'Neil Question run, Enigma, etc) and found these. They also had the Grant Morrison/Duncan Fegredo Kid Eternity mini, which I was really tempted to grab, but I'll pick it up on my next trip.

So, DC is acknowledging their fuck up with the Fourth World Omni, and making returns and replacements available.

January haul (potato quality pic):

February haul (potato quality pic):

Really glad they listened. I was holding off on grabbing it in hopes they would do this. Now if only they could do this for the JLI omni as well.

There's comics in these. Waiting on more bags and boards before I open them.

Why not just get Last Look since it's the entire trilogy in one book? Anyway as someone who enjoys Charles Burns work what are some good American body horror comics?

Not sure if anyone gives much of a shit about froggie comics but I'll post my early-year haul anyway. not posting the namga since this is supposed to be a weeb-free zone.
>Time is Money
great reedition, especially since the originals have become ridiculously expensive
not sure how to feel about the black and white though. Sure you can appreaciate the original art better but I really do like the colouring they did when published in Pilote

>Idées Noires
loads of background info, additionnal pages from all sorts of weird places like fanzines and stuff.

>Thorgal - Louve
Nice story. But Jolan is an annoying little shit.

>Thorgal - La Gardienne des Clefs
Kinda silly. Joran is still an annoying little shit.
That cover art though. That fucking cover. It's beautiful.

What comics are in those?

I prefer hardcovers, and don't usually buy that many comics, so when I buy some I don't mind paying more for the nicer edition.

Has anyone read Divinity? I'm thinking of buying the complete trilogy. Would you recommend it for someone who has never read any Valiant.

I only own the first volume but yeah I'd say it's a good jumping on point and it really helps immerse you in the lore well. I'd say start with something like X-O, Harbinger, Shadowman, Bloodshot or Archer and Armstrong if you liked it enough. I haven't bothered to check out the Dvinity sequels myself but I found it a good read with great art.

Fair enough everyone has their preferences.

Here is my shelf. I recently sorted by publisher so it looks quite a lot different. I'm waiting on my copy of Boneyard 1-7 tpb

Here are my recent purchases. I'm missing the entire rest of the Boneyard series including the swimsuit special. Only missing issue 28. I'm to lazy to take a new picture though.

Nice pick up with Dr. fate. Hated that Black Orchid mini despite liking both Gaiman and McKean in general(well, I don like McKean's work in it, but I hate the writing).

Nice, Dr. Fate was one of those things DC solicited collecting and then just dropped it. The ongoing after the mini is also great as long as DeMatteis is on it

Nice to see you /shelf/! Once again January Haul, there's a sale at a LCS here, but Im a little broke at the moment, hopefully I can get something out of it.

So, I remembered this gem earning a story time and I couldn't resist the purchase volume one hardcover. It's one of my favourite comics in recent memory. Beautiful art to compliment a good story.

If it weren't for the story time I would've turned my eyes toward another direction, so thanks for the story time whomever did it.

Moreover, Mac a best girl.

Hello, im looking to collect yost's run on scarlet spider, and am wondering, is there an omnibus or hardcover versions available or only the paperbacks?

Acording to Comicbook db, seems like it. It might be wrong, but seems that the option right now is the vol1-4 of Scarlet Spider in TPs

Shelf

Last stuff I bought + I kill giants and the green river killer book I have seen on here a few times

Main shelf

Auxiliary shelf (mostly art books, but there's some eurocomics and larger books in there)

Today's haul. Two choice finds. (My favorite shop moved way north so I finally got to visit it for the first time in over a year.)

Rotate your posts. Also paper girl develops a bad case of imagecomics-ongoing syndrome.

Why would you sort by publisher? I mean I can understand if you want to keep all of your DC or Marvel or whatever shared continuity comics together, but I can't think of any rationale for that organization unless you're operating a store.

Frog comics are the best comics. But I don't recognize any of what you posted.

I didn't think this was an unboxing thread. Post the comics.

Excellent haul. Some background: Frank in the 3rd dimension was originally presented as a art exhibit where the images from the book were displayed on a huge projector and they gave you 3d glasses. It was a trip.

Not familiar with bulletproof coffin, is it any good?

Is the slipcase All-Star superman readable with the hardcover binding?

Yes, its perfectly fine. Im no expert but i dont see any tearing in the binding anytime soon.

Cool,

I think a series like that merits a hardcover, but I actually want reread my physical copy of ASS on occasion, so I went with softcover.

I hated seeing all the different formats on the shelf. When sorted by publisher, I get long stretches of the same sized and formated books. It's more to do with my ocd.

I think the absolute ASS its one of the best gifts a had ever. At least about comics.

>the best gifts a had ever
Wat?

Eh, that's fair. I guess I don't have enough material in a consistent format to worry about it. Just normal/small books and big/oversized books.

Its late and I been translating spanish and english back and forth, sorry.

no hay problema

I have a lot of Dark Horse and Image comics so it's nice to have long lines of similar books.

Bottom line, Absolute ASS is amazing and I'm so glad my gf gave it to me. Will take pics if you want.

please

>Absolute ASS

Eh, I get you, but I feel the opposite, even with the ocd. When I see long rows of the same style book it starts to feel like a store. Not comfy like a personal comics shelf.

Sorry I didnt want to leave you all hot a bothered. This is how nice this ASS is.

Thas nice. Is there bonus Absolute content / is the bonus content worth it?

There are, and they are nice, some insights into the characters as well as the works Superman does. I dont know if its worth it, specially if you already own a copy of it. I didnt and I decided "Its one of my favorite Superman stories, when I buy it its going to be the best version"

Yeah, the weird thing is to me it doesn't feel like a "superman story." it feels like the most purified, idealized version of every incarnation of superman rolled into one, to the point where it feels hyperreal and not actually superman.

It's still great though.

Gracias

It's great, and the last page of the book is one of the greatest comic book pages of all time. The follow-up "The Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred" is also fun, but much more uneven than this first volume.

>the last page of the book is one of the greatest comic book pages of all time
Intriguing. Guess I have to check it out then.

>The Visitor: How & Why He Stayed
Does this add anything significant to hellboy, or is it a standalone? Was curious about it.

dark horse is finally releasing the original shaolin cowboy stuff

isn't it great

I really need to check Black Hammer out, but I would just end up with a new wish list of books on my Amazon "exhaustive completionist" account.

Here are my recent acquisitions anyway.

I keep meaning to read Thorgal
and I agree with frog comics are the best

>Hated that Black Orchid mini
Hated? it's not that bad, it's just nothing special which is something a person kinda expects from those two

>Frazetta
nice

what are those Heavy Metal Frezzato books?

New. Milk Wars got me interested in Doom Patrol and the other Young Animals stuff.

It's going to be a good week for me cause this is 1/3 purchase trips for me. Have an order on Amazon waiting and have $80 in store credit waiting for me too

What's imagecomics-ongoing syndrome?

Only one they released in hardcover was the first volume.

Whatcha reading /shelf/?

>Finally collected so many comics and artbooks I no longer have space for them. They're spread across like 5 different shelves in my room, work space and closet.
>Don't want to go out and buy an actual bookshelf because I'll be moving by the end of this year so it's a waste.

I think I'm going to compromise and just start storing them in plastic bins under my bed or something. I literally don't have room for anything else.

Battle Angel Alita, A Bride's Tale and Beautiful Darkness.

Metabarons (almost done)
Doom Patrol
Kevin Smith Green Arrow

Lady Snowblood
Kamimura is great at drawing that one character.
Too bad it's the only character he can draw.

is man-thing any good?
I always thought it was a shitty rip-off of swamp thing, but I see alot of people with it on their shelves.

That's a nice ass.

I've got nothing on February sadly.

McKean's Cages
BPRD Hell on Earth Book 1
Nemesis The Warlock.

>Nao of Brown
Choice. Has that guy done anything else? I

Old or new metabaron? I saw yesterday that Jodorowsky has a new series about him ongoing from 2016 with art of the same quality. Anyone else read it?

I've been eyeing it every time I go to my LCS but the original Metabarons is such a good self-contained story I really don't want to see it being expanded or continued...

Old. I finally have the full original run in paperback (I got 3 and 4 for $5 each, so I just went with that). I hear the new run isn't as good but as long as it's better than Megalex I'm good, I'm just a fan of his work in general. Son of the Gun is probably my favorite of his work

I flipped through Vol. 1 & 2 a bit when I was at my LCS. It seems like a lot of the the same ridiculous Jodorowsky stuff and references the past metabaron continuity. I was just happy that the art was still BD-tier. Will probably get it eventually once it's complete.

Not familiar with Megalex, but a brief search gives me kind of uncanny valley looking art.

>What's imagecomics-ongoing syndrome?
from a previous post on the subject on:

>stuff that seems to stretch forever without a resolution in sight. basically the walking dead, saga, east of west, etc

Noooooooooo, don't buy from amazon.

Morrison's Doom Patrol

How does Deadly Class compare in size to those Fear Agents? Since it's image I think it should be approimately the same size as Luther Strode collection, but it seems slightly bigger here.

>what are those Heavy Metal Frezzato books?Keepers of the Maser, fun little series I got into mostly for the art and because I liked the world-building and design work. A light-hearted post-apocalyptic-ish setting with survivors of an advanced civilization that fell from grace and are trying to control the remaining superweapon tech. It takes place mostly on a series of islands and weirdly feels like an animated film that never got made.

It's pretty much the same size. Off by a few centimeters on height and width. It's actually taller than the luther strode collection by about an inch.

>>stuff that seems to stretch forever without a resolution in sight.
That's Marvel/DC

Great choice user, although it loses a little steam after Ellis decides to ditch the episodic formula

>Astonishing Thor
I pity you, son

How does it feel to know you will never collect the whole USM in that format, user?

No, Marvel and DC have no pretense of ending and telling a satisfying story with actual resolution.

Creator comics on the other hand start out that way, but sometimes, once decent comics get an audience and sales numbers, the creators just decide to ride it as long as the can at the expense of the story which quickly either becomes boring or goes to shit, like the examples in the previous post.

I dunno about some others but from the start Walking Dead and Saga have been pitched as basically infinite ongoings. Kirkman talked about hating that zombie movies end and BKV wants to do hazels whole life

Following this logic, Saga shouldn't fall under that category since it was only good for the first 10-12 issues while being popular from the very beginning

Eh, you could knit pick all of the examples somewhat, those are just popular ones that people know.

It gets the point across.

>BKV wants to do hazels whole life
B-b-b-but at this current pace it could take like 42 more volumes, which is 252 issues, which gives us slightly more than 20 years

Till then political climate will change so many times they can never pull it off

exactly, it's no end in sight bullshit.

>hating on Rodi Thor
it's not his best work but it's still a solid book and better than most other Thor runs

>No, Marvel and DC have no pretense of ending and telling a satisfying story with actual resolution.
there are plenty of times that they should have ended the stories. Claremont tried to do it many many times with X-men characters but editorial kept fucking him over.