What If?:

What would change about this show if Genndy was in charge?
Would it still be shit of a different flavor, mediocre, or actually good?
Would he keep the current crew or would he change house?
How bad would the behind the scenes drama be if he kept the show's current crew?

>Without Yellow Diamond...
>I never existed...

-Last spoken words of Genndy Tatyakovskys Steven Universe.

What answer are you expecting? Genndy's shows weren't without fault either.

It would be great and last 2 seasons before being cancelled midway through the second one.

In the SU artbook Rebecca says Genndy was the dumbass that advised her to not waste time trying to make the show's world realistic. They originally wanted to get the government involved with the gem's business and shit but Genndy apparently thinks cartoons don't need to have believable world building.

And that dude is overrated as hell anyways, just look at all the Hotel Transylvania movies and season five of SJ. He's a good artist and animator but he can't write for shit. SU would go down the shitter if he took over.

Rebecca's a better writer than him, it especially shows with how much depth her characters have in comparison to his, her problem is just that she gives the rest of the crew too control of the direction of the show. She gives all of them full input with the writing and storyboarding even though a lot of them are inexperienced tards hired off of tumblr.

he was one-hundred percent correct though, you don't need any of that shit

>In the SU artbook Rebecca says Genndy was the dumbass that advised her to not waste time trying to make the show's world realistic. They originally wanted to get the government involved with the gem's business and shit but Genndy apparently thinks cartoons don't need to have believable world building.
I want to fucking kill genndy now
And this dumb faggot too

Connie wouldn’t exist until the final season and she’d singlehandedly defeat the Diamonds with her sword after all the Crystal Gems have jobbed.

Depends if Genndy would reveal her to be Pink Diamond all along, or just have her a regular human who somehow inherited Steven’s powers and Rose’s gem after fusing with him long enough, thus making Steven the real human and Connie the new leader of the Crystal Gems.

I’m absolutely sure no one can come up with a more retarded concept than this.

We could have had townie episodes where the gems have to deal with realistic problems that come from the human's world instead of boring mundane crap about the people in beach city's personal lives, and it's stupid how all of them always ignore the magic and gem stuff that happens around them. That's just one stupid writing decision in the show he's responsible for, if he was in control there'd be a lot more.

Oh man I love being a kid and watching townie episodes about realistic problems like when Garnet helped Sour Cream fill out his taxes.

What if...
>Rebecca is head writer
>Genndy as animation director

Then we could get some really cool action and decent story.

Might lead to some contrasting moments like Greg saying "I don't want to fight you!" And then going mace windu on the Human Zoo quartzes.

No matter how bad he fucks it up it would still be less shitty than the current piece of trash show.

>Connie defeats the diamonds
I feel that's a little too likely to actually happen to be joking so casually about it

Genndy was never the one in charge,just the animation director. But it would be a better show if he stayed as the animation director.
As if he was in charge,the show would be S1 with no homeworld threats. Keep in mind Genndy often prefers episodic series.
If it was a continous story like SU,it would be the same except the action scenes would be good

Realistic within the context of their universer, you moron.
That would involve their gemshit actually affecting humans.

Wtf i hate genndy now

That's basically what townie episodes are now, except the gems never participate in them.

If they had the government get involved with Steven and the gems it would lead to much better townie episodes and create more engaging problems with the human side of the story instead of just leaving it all to the gem side. The government could try to take Steven away from the gems because they think they aren't fit as parents, or people could get sick of the gems putting them in danger and try to force them out of beach city, or the government could have tried catching and experimenting on gems so they could try to use their powers for militaristic purposes

I don't fucking know, this is just basic shit that would all be better than Onion, or whichever other one dimensional townie character that the writers put no effort into, showing Steven the inside of his room and playing house in the woods.

Then that would probably turn out pretty good. Like I said, he's a really good artist and animator, he just sucks at writing.

Sugar in charge of writing
Genndy in charge of animation
Sugar would keep the show in check with stronger control of writing
Genndy would reign in the boarders and keep shit on model
Basically just delegate less power to the boarders and the show fixes itself, there's not a single issue that doesn't derive from giving them too much power. I get what Sugar was trying to do by giving them more power, but it just doesn't work. Sure Genndy would improve the animation quality itself, but even without him the biggest issues of the show are fixed by just putting the boarders on a tighter leash.

I'd have to agree with his advice. Fuck all you idiots who think getting the human government involved is worth anyone's time, especially if they're going to inevitably job to the alien force like every other sci-fi.

GUYS GUYS, ITS DAH MENS FAULT MY SHOW HAS SO MUCH EMPTY PROMISES!
>I HAETS DEH GENDDYS NOW LOL!

Pathethic, Genndy at least did shit with his plotpoints.

Plus, can you imagine if greg's hair and beard looked like Jacks in S5?

Rawr!

What he did was completely ruin all the plotpoints that existed in the original run of the show by bringing in a random Mary Sue love interest and giving her all the focus just so that he could push an unnecessary romance subplot and end the show on a forced emotional moment by killing her off. And the obvious thing any other writer would have done with the show finale was let Jack show character development by choosing to stay in the future to fix it instead of going into the past and erasing the existence of all the friends he made throughout his journey.

Jasper: Lapis..without malachite,,I would have never existed.

I'd rather he had never touched Samurai Jack again instead of the shit show that was season 5.

Funny that you blame women when Genndy's shitty waifu took over the spotlight less than halfway through the season.

It would be more action oriented and the Gems would be more apealing to the eyes than now, also the characters would be more of a one note, Steven would have more focus care into and also he would get rid of the "Only steven" perspective of the show, the main cast (and maybe some of the background characters) would have a few episodes for themselves like "a day in the life of -Insert character here-" .

As for the story, it could be largely the same really, but the resolutions to the plot points would be a lot more action packed.

>All this shit about SJ Season 5
What a fucking shitshow that was but i hate people that now say that everything he was ever done is shit, everything he WROTE is shit, all the action he made is great, give the man some credit, will you?

I like Genndy but Season 5 made me realize that hes now infallible like i thought he was.

>everything he WROTE is shit, all the action he made is great, give the man some credit, will you?
But most people in this thread are saying exactly that. He's a great animation director and character designer but a shit writer.

Not every story has to be realistic.

I don't think anything would change and the show would still be trash. Why do people treat Genndy like the savior of animation, again?

It's jarring when a show asks us to take it seriously yet no one raises an eye when a giant hand comes and literally flips Earth the bird.

Making the humans so passive isnjust a mistake overall. The show asks us to value humanity without showing our best and worst qualities. It's like making a show desicated to admiring bland oatmeal.

>Rebecca's a better writer than him
I strongly disagree with that statement

the action in that Star wars show was great and he knew how to set up a scene in Samurai Jack

>this

I wish that were true.

>In the SU artbook Rebecca says Genndy was the dumbass that advised her to not waste time trying to make the show's world realistic. They originally wanted to get the government involved with the gem's business and shit but Genndy apparently thinks cartoons don't need to have believable world building.
And yet she's wishy-washy about whether she wanted to take that advice, and as a result we got a stone lesbian soap opera trying to be a stone lesbian space opera when it was originally pitched as a vaguely magical-girl parodying comedy/light action show.

It would have a look and feel similar to pic related. The characters also wouldn't have partially overlapping character traits, which is a bad thing though as Genndy's characters are never very complex. Only their journeys are.

>if sugar had her way, there would've likely be more male characters in prominent roles, much more
>DAH MENS FAULT
>I HAETS DEH GENDDYS NOW LOL!
What did he mean by this?