Serious talk: does anyone actually, genuinely (non-jokingly) like the Shrek movies?

Serious talk: does anyone actually, genuinely (non-jokingly) like the Shrek movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U8lB_tXuOzc
youtube.com/watch?v=C20CjvnrR-U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All of them? No of course not.

Yes.
Beneath all the dated references and awkward character design there is some decent writing that provides some childhood nostalgia.

Second is best, first is good until Fiona shows up, fuck the rest.

Normies do
First two Shrek movies were undisputedly god tier, and if you disagree you're simply wrong

HEY NOW

1 and 2 are great I think. 3 is pretty bad. I kind of like 4 but it feels disappointing.

You only need one Shrek in your life

Shrek 1 and 2? Absolutely. Love em.
3 is a travesty.
Never saw 4.

The first shrek still holds up. The second is overrated. The third is shit. The fourth is surprisingly good.
S1 > S4 > S2 >>> S3

I thought 1 was okay but I really loved the 2nd movie
Didn't see the third or fourth

Everyone likes shrek. That's why it's been a meme for so long

Shrek 2 was the best of the four.

I loved Shrek 1 and 2 when I first saw them. Still like watching Shrek 1 when it's on, only watched 2 once though so I'm not sure how it holds up.

yes

This, honestly.
They broke ground, had some impressive CGI for the time, and are pretty damn funny. I'm really not sure how Shrek got to memetic status, if I'm honest. It's not a batshit insane concept like Bee Movie.

The first two shrek movies are unironically amazing. Everything else is trash.

This.

I enjoyed all of them well enough, but it's a definite linear decline from start to finish. Even the last one is at least as good as the mediocre episodes of Netflix's Puss In Boots, and I watched that series through. Has the ability to be funny even without you actually paying full attention to it. That's kind of damning with faint praise, but it is what it is.

The day someone figures out how things become meme status I will probably kill myself.
Can you imagine what advertising companies will do with that shit? My mind is already constantly plagued by memes and stupid references. I'm already brainwashed enough as it is.

>I'm really not sure how Shrek got to memetic status
Honestly because Shrek is a big CGI ugly funny looking head, that's it

The first one only.

First two movies are pretty good, third is shit, can't even remember the fourth one. Something something It's A Wonderful Life.

The reason Shrek became a meme is because the third movie was THAT bad. If they'd bowed out gracefully after 2, it would be fondly remembered

Shrek got memetic status because some guy on Sup Forums wrote a weird greentext where he worshiped Shrek, who then came through his window and fucked him the ass.

It went viral.

A lot of the musical sucks shit, but it does actually make the Shrek/Fiona dynamic make more sense.

The first two are genuinely good animated movies.

Shrek 1 is a classic nostalgia trip for me, being the one I watched the most. Still funny, still great.

Shrek 2 cranks up the humor even further, looks prettier, and beats out Shrek 1 in the end.

Shrek the Third has its moments, but it's kinda boring. Dull, slow plot with only one objective in mind, and it just sorta fizzles out. It ultimately does nothing but introduce the kids.

Shrek Forever After is surprisingly good. It's heartfelt, digs into Shrek's origins and what his culture is like, and introduces a really petty villain that makes you want to root against him. The film has one out of character moment that bothers me, but it still is better than the Third by miles. Still beaten out by Shrek 1 and 2, though. Also, it has the best credits sequence in any film. Perfect way to end a series like that..

youtube.com/watch?v=U8lB_tXuOzc

Its been so long that musta forgotten most of them. I have positive memories of them if that counts for something.

1 and 2 are excellent. 3 is the low of the series, but 4 is a slight improvement.

The first, second, and fourth ones are enjoyable. Not even Eric Idle AND John Cleese could save the third.

Honestly Shrek 3 feels like Shrek 2's bad leftovers. It's so stale. Even the villain is a rehash.

The mini-recap of events from 1-3 was a very pleasant addition. I like it when movies do that.

Everyone who grew up in the early 2000s knew of it, then grew out of it for about a decade, so it ticked the right nostalgia and irony boxes.
The early movies are still funny, but I can’t laugh at them anymore due to the character now being a godlike rapist in my mind.

I like the first Shrek with almost no reservations
I like the second one except that there was no good reason for them not to stay in their prettier bodies once they found out they were both affected and would love each other anyway, it read to me as Shrek being worried Fiona would leave him if she looked like a human being
I've only seen the third one once, maybe twice, I couldn't tell you anything about it really
never seen the fourth one
this is cliche and even kind of stilted now but they really do try to have "heart" and they mostly pull it off

How young or old so you have to be to not like shrek?

Shrek changed kids films and made them more watchable for adults.

Kids lives it because it was a kids movie but the film didn't treat them like stupid kids.

My uncle is a fundamentalist muslim and he loves shrek.

Is there something in Shrek that would make fundamentalist muslims not love it?

1st and 2nd ones were well written and well executed, there isnt anything wrong with them
they completely jump shit on the 3rd and afterwards when they started running out of every idea

green pig-like creature

I just found it funny how he's always ranting about "morally bankrupt western movies that worship sex and money" and "coca cola culture", but then always quotes shrek jokes.

I haven't really watched Shrek 3 in a while. What made it so bad?

Shrek 1 and 2 were two of the best movies of the era. 3 and 4 do not exist and we will never speak of this again.

Here’s the greentext in question.

The first one was witty.
Everything else not so much.

Man, this meme makes me nostalgic.

Sure, it got out of hand and became cancerous, but I have a soft spot for the weird pseudo-religious undertones it took on.

>Can you imagine what advertising companies will do with that shit?
I heard companies currently look into those Instagram meme video makers to promote a new song. A lot of songs become popular through memes these days, one recent example that comes to mind being that “You so fuckin precious when you smile” one

I cry evrytiem.

I enjoyed the first two. Never finished the other ones.

shrek is dreck

t.

Shrek 1 and 2 are great. 3 was garbage. 4 was okay.

Read Sailor Nothing and the part where a couple of the main characters were going to see Shrek. It was at least a decade before the memes and seeing in mentioned so casually was surreal.

there was entire subculture of brogres who praised the shrek, remember Shrekchan?

The first one was actually a good deconstruction of fairy tale stuff, and I liked the second a lot. Never saw the rest. Appreciated the memes.
Actually wore a Shrek costume one year as a kid when the movie just came out.

I've never especially liked any of them, even though the first one's enjoyable enough while it lasts.

Yes, Love 1, 2 and 4.

We don't speak of 3.

Shrek Pleads the Fifth?

Where could they go now with the characters? Have the kids fight with their parents because they want to be royalty?

Shrek in the far east.
Shrek in space.
Shrek Down Under.

Or, a canonical retelling of Shrek is Love, Shrek is Life.

My guess is that they pull an Ice Age and have the kids as teenagers and one of the kids has a boyfriend Shrek doesn't approve of, and IDFK maybe Puss gets a love interest or something?

>Shrek in the far east.
Japanese ogre ladies are the best ogre ladies.

>The movie makes an off hand reference to Shrek is love Shrek is Life
>Starts a shitstorm when twitter people start remembering the meme that started that involved statutory rape
>Creators pretend they didn't know and apologize

I guarantee it.

How much would it cost to get Mike Myers to read this?

>remember Shrekchan?
It was the first place I went when I learned about the new movie.
I was devastated.

Second movie is garbage only you american tards like it better

I don't think it's garbage, but it's definitely inferior to the first.

Shrek 2 is one of the greatest comedy films of all time and there hasn't been an animated film since with a more energetic climax.
The first Shrek is not as funny but it's still a great movie and I'd argue it's better written in some parts.
And Shrek 4 becomes more entertaining once you basically accept it's fanfiction. It's not a bad movie.

The only Shrek movie that's genuinely bad is Shrek 3.
I really dislike that the meme status of Shrek has effectively killed any serious discussion on an otherwise good series.

Same thing has happened with Smash Mouth. They can't be a legitimate band anymore- now they're just the Shrek band.

I liked the first couple of movies

I like the first two movies. I've only seen the third movie once, which was around a year after it first came out, but I don't really remember if I liked it or not. Never seen the fourth movie or the Puss in Boots movie.

t. tasteless peasent

They were fine. Not amazing or overwhelmingly awful, they were just fine.

The first two, sure, they're just fun fairy-tale satire stories.

I liked them, but the third one was rubbish and I have yet to see the fourth which I heard is way better.

i liked the first one as a kid

I loved the first two. The rest were complete shit.

I respectfully disagree with your rating of 4 above 2, but I am glad that you are at least giving 4 spine credit. For a fourth installment, it was quite good and I am always frustrated by many rating it lower than 3.

This. I watched shrek 2 at least a dozen times.

Everything else after that was pretty shit.

boy you are fuckin wrong

it was apology for the third movie.

>there are rumours of shrek 5.

hopefuly not true. let it rest, even puss 2 would be a better choice.

I won't say it's good but I had fun watching them. That's what counts for me.

Shrek 2 is one of the greatest comedy films of all time and there hasn't been an animated film since with a more energetic climax.
damn straight

This is the most memorable scene of the series.

2 > 1 >> 4 >> 3

Same.

The first and second are legitimately good. I can't imagine being such a youngfag or contrarian to say they aren't.

>muh dated references and animation

And yet you people eat up shitty television cartoons with are that makes corneas bleed.

Smash mouth is a joke, they didn't put those fucks in the movie because it was the pinnacle of music. It liane supposed to be a Zimmer score.

The third one is garbage, the fourth one is a totally weird genre shift that feels like some kinda straight to home video bs.

the first one is pretty good, but is super dated, but with context is good.

the second one is the best one, and still holds up pretty well, even now.

God Loves, Shrek Kills

People got burned out by the 3rd movie, because almost every animated movie since 2002 tried to emulate Shrek.

That said, the whole "I Need A Hero" sequence in Shrek 2 was one of the most hyped up moments I experienced as a kid in the cinema.

I liked the first a lot, the second also had its moments. The rest was just plain bad imho

I unironically like this musical, especially the parts with Shrek and Fiona.

Who I'd Be is a really pretty song.

youtube.com/watch?v=C20CjvnrR-U

And I liked that they gave Shrek and Fiona actual reasons to feel connected with each other.

>My dad and mom sent me away!

I think it was mostly due to Shrekchan which was made as an ironic joke.
They just pumped out endless amounts of Shrek image macros and edits that eventually swept over to Sup Forums and then eventually the rest of the internet.

>threads that make you realize how young the internet is

I know I've seen the first two movies, but I barely remember any of it.

The Shrek movies contain my biggest waifu.

It kinda makes watching them with people difficult...

It was forced, just like every other meme in existence.

I remember when it first came out, shit was a smash hit that came literally outta nowhere. Went to see a Pokemon movie on my birthday but they were sold out so we went to see Shrek. Had no idea it was going to be that much fun.

What board was this even originally posted on?

And I honestly have no idea how The Bee movie became a meme, it felt even more forced than usual. Anyone care to explain?

>tfw rewatching the first one and instantly getting back all those happy pre-9/11 memories
I think it's something about the lighting in that movie, it reminds me of that comfy summer of 2001.
Also Farquaad was fucking great, every character in the movie was hysterical.

I think Sup Forums but that screenshot most certainly isn't from the initial post.