What are the origins of the term 'alt-right'? I don't remember hearing it before a few months ago...

What are the origins of the term 'alt-right'? I don't remember hearing it before a few months ago, and now it is everywhere, used a linguistic weapon to categorise and define us all...

It reminds me of cultural marxists fighting hard to bury the term 'cultural marxist' (pic related), difference being they actually were cultural marxists. We are not 'alt-right', because its just a made up label. It wouldn't surprise me if the same people created or are using 'alt-right' to subvert our movement.

tl;dr The term 'alt-right' has nefarious origins and we should stop using it and discourage others from using it. Only we should define ourselves.

Other urls found in this thread:

breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BUMP

That's just two editors. No reason to think the whole site is biased because of them or that most editors are like them (even though I'm sure more are).

>Put your enemies into a category
>Define that category
>Sow seeds of discontent by pointing out ideological differences between members youve defined as the same
>Make people not accept XY because Z is also part of that predefined category.

They are just trying to put us in a box so they can break the movement.

Well that's just one example of suppression of the term, its happened on a larger scale than just one website.

But it highlights my point:

The left knows words are important, half their effort is spend redefining them or creating them from scratch.

Someone has created the term 'alt right' inorganically and spread it in a sophisticated manner.

Something is going on here and we should be vigilant.

If anything has a chance of damaging us, its words, they are important in regards to cultural matters.

Its just simple d/c tactics. I dont see the major issue with it in general, but keep it confined to what it really is, the alternative media. Its milo and Jones and Molly and all that, even tho all 3 of them are totally different.

Its very important going by how much effort was clearly put into spreading a completely inorganic term, words don't become popular easily in human culture.

I think we are a relatively new 'movement' that is finding our feet, we've had big victories of late and its crucial that we define ourselves.

Opposite. Define yourself as alt right and people can just attack that definition instead of you or your arguments. Being amorphous is what gave power

Pic always related.

"Alt right" was indeed coined by our enemies and originally used for false flagging. I didn't think anyone around here seriously believed we would identify to that.

We're just undisciplined chaos, and we need no name.

Calm the fuck down.

Blogs like Amerika, Radix, and Social Matter have been saying it for years.

An oddity that I noticed today was a number of posters absolutely hard line insisting that alt right = white supremacy. Not everyone sick of being called racist for trivial shit. Not anti sjw, not race realisim, not libertarianisim, but that alt righthood absolutely required it.

It's a compete turnaround from, say when hillary called pepe a racist symbol, and the board shit all over that idea.

And it was weird that this just happened to be the same day CNN did a story on Sup Forums

No accusations. It could be that the WNs hear about the shit and jumped in, or all showed up at the same time. But I find it very odd that they'd all take the EXACT party line that the mainstream media had been trying to push..

The site doesn't need a majority or even a plurality of editors to really fuck shit up.

this, the fuck are these mongs on about with the fiction

literally clinton namedropping it casually.

The first time I heard the term Alt-right was when rick wilson said the alt-right masturbates to anime. Not sure when it arose though. There is an actual political group called the alt-right though

Granted, those blogs are pretty lukewarm. Nobody on the cutting of this stuff self-applies the term, and the Clinton camp's use of it is transparent pigeon-holing.

BUT, there's a difference between counter-memeing and hysterical revisionism in response to weak outside threats.

I was not aware of that, how did it shoot so rapidly into prominence in the last few months then?

Richard Spencer who now has the website radixjournal originally had a website called "Alternative-Right.com".

breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/

Probably this article. Even when it came out, it was maligned on Sup Forums for putting too many people in too convenient of boxes.

The overwhelming part of it's meaning comes from the mass media usage, which is only loosely related to the radx and the like usage.

They wanted to label the meme factory that drove Ben Garrison up the wall, that was providing so much energy to the election.

It's not like the blogs were ever cited in the mainstream reporting. And it's not as if they're a driver or aggregator of much of the shit that I would associate with the alt right.

Most of the bloggers in question originally grouped themselves as "neoreaction" or "Dark Enlightenment", under the umbrella of ((Curtis Yarvin)) and Nick Land.

In short, they've always been too eager to adopt special snowflake labels.

The important part to me is that they're too far from the lulz, the memes, the Sup Forums shit that's a centerpiece of the alt right. Sure there's philosophical overlap, but it's way off.

This article is suprisingly good.

It's not suprising that the WN crowd would gladly suck up the mainstream media version in a desperate attempt for relevance.

Ramzpaul used it long before Trump announced, and I think he got it from Richard Spencer. It was always just a set of conservative principles, not all held by every individual in the movement, which were consistent with conservative thinking but which the establishment Republicans rejected. White nationalism is one of the ideas and has been since before Trump, but also something as basic as enforcing our border laws and deporting illegal aliens. It's because the establishment marginalized all these ideas that you get the less savory ideas mixed in with the dinnertable ideas.

This is why curated content > croudsourced content

We need to make our own wikipedia that isnt open to the public.

I'd honestly forgotten about it until I started looking shit up. My guess is some Clinton intern stumbled upon Breitbart and treated it as the primary source for why Trump and Sup Forums were winning, and relayed it to the higher-ups.