Now that the dust has settled, what were the best stories to come out of DC's New 52?

Now that the dust has settled, what were the best stories to come out of DC's New 52?

Would it have been better received if DC had turned it into a sub-line like Marvel did with the Ultimate Universe?

Is there anything from the New 52 you want to see in Rebirth continuity?

>Now that the dust has settled, what were the best stories to come out of DC's New 52?
Animal Man, Lemire
Martian Manhunter, Williams
Swamp Thing, Snyder
The Omega Men, King
Wonder Woman, Azzarello
also Prez #volume2when

>Would it have been better received if DC had turned it into a sub-line like Marvel did with the Ultimate Universe?
If it was a choice between a.) New 52 as it was given to us
or b.) New creative teams and jumping on points, but also four or five "Ultimate" titles, the I'd have picked b.).

>Is there anything from the New 52 you want to see in Rebirth continuity?
Not really, it's DC bring back anything you like from any time if it can be used to make a cool story

Action Comics
Dial H

Why didn't people like the N52?

>Is there anything from the New 52 you want to see in Rebirth continuity
The freedom and diversity the line had.

Not muh

Autism.

first part of wonder woman's run was really good.Same for snyder's batman

Soule's run was also great on Swampy, and Rotworld was garbo.

Not muh was a big part of it but it was also edgier (not necessarily in a bad way). It's basically the same as theut post-Crisis reboots like Byrne Supes.

Unclear chronolgy and tacticool costumes

Cackhanded delivery mixed with a lot of shitty creative teams on a hell of a lot of books.

Literally zero of the stories told in the new 52 required a reboot to happen. They could've just called it a relaunch and set the numbering back to 1 and everyone would've been happy.

Azz WW and Morrison Superman did.

>Unclear chronolgy
So... Same as always.

>Is there anything from the New 52 you want to see in Rebirth continuity?
Quality books, top creators, diversity and attention to C listers.

Fucks sake, why hasnt DC made a Earth 3 series following the CSA?

>They could've just called it a relaunch and set the numbering back to 1 and everyone would've been happy.
If you understand this then why bitch about it? They called it a reboot for marketing reasons so they could attract new readers.

The problem was though that the DC universe was too BIG
At that point, before new52, there was literally no reason for certain things to be happening. How could there be constant world ending threats or important stories happening to minor characters when the heavy hitters, the DOZENS of them, could just come in and save it easier?

Plus there was no jumping off point. I tried reading DC before new52 came out and i just had no idea what was going on half the time, and I get thats just kinda how comics ARE but it just made it impossible to sink my teeth into, compared to after new52 where it all actually made sense for once.

I dunno how it is these days, but I feel like new52 served a purpose

I really liked the JL and Batman run, plus most of the big events like Forever Evil and Trinity War, although I feel like FE came in a bit too soon after the reboot

I loved Batman and Robin by Tomasi and Gleason

That clearly lead to the idea of giving Superman a son

Yup. Hack shit.

>I tried reading DC before new52 came out and i just had no idea what was going on half the time
That's because DC threw their streamlined reboot away to wank to the previous continuity. The uncontrolable boner for pre-Crisis material has done more harm than good.

I’m a little confused. Rebirth continuity follows the canon of the New 52, right? The only difference that I can see, is that Rebirth is a little more flexible with continuity, and they allow elements of Post-Crisis continuity to creep back in if it will help the story. Post-Crisis Superman and New 52 Superman were merged back into one character with elements of both their histories becoming canon.

Am I pretty much correct on that? And what the hell was DCYou?

DCyou was just a jump off point for new stories really.

Basically they just had a bunch of new comics and wanted to make a big deal about them, like the new Post Metal comics, the NEW DC UNIVERSE or whatever its called.

DCYou was basically Rebirth but they didn't go all-in on the continuity. They let writers do almost whatever they wanted for their stories so we got stuff like JLI Booster and Beetle showing up, explicitly referencing past continuities, and upticks in introducing old characters that were previously off-limits. Also some wacky stuff out of left field like Prez.

>Rebirth continuity follows the canon of the New 52, right?
Mostly yes, until further notice. Superman Reborn undid the 5 year timeline so some post-crisis stuff can be brought back to undo N52 changes that people didn't like. Basically, anything New 52 is still canon, unless the current plots contradict it. Some stuff, mainly backstory stuff like the JL's origin, is still kind of up in the air.

Batman Eternal. It was a bit baggy, but it was an amazingly fun experience to live in Gotham every week for a year.

Yeah but it had been lomg enough since the last big shape up that people liked to pretend it made sense

Geoff John's Green Lantern run