What is everyone’s thoughts on rotoscoping? I’ve heard a lot of people don’t like it...

What is everyone’s thoughts on rotoscoping? I’ve heard a lot of people don’t like it, it straight up dismiss it as animation, but I never got that.

Even though it’s roots are in tracing, there is a lot more that goes into it than that, and I guess I just don’t get the hate. A lot of fantastic animated films used rotoscoping to great effect.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DDEw7rAwPxU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there's an entire group of animation enthusiasts who think rotoscoping is the cancer of the industry

But why is that? A lot of people I knew taking animation courses scoffed at it, but whenever I dabbled in it myself, my shorts ended up being the most visually striking.

In no way am I saying its harder or better than traditional animation, I do however appreciate it, and love the style of it.

I think Waking Life is one of the better examples of rotoscoping and how its use isn't limited to just 'traced over frames'. Definitely doesn't warrant the hate it gets

It's cool and stylized.

I dunno but those weird camoflauge suits in Scanner Darkley were incredible

I love whenever Linklater does a rotoscope film. It’s always something that takes advantage of surrealness, and it ends up being wonderful.

That is such a classic!

The scramble suits animation brought the book to life better than any CG.

It's the same as people scoffing others drawing with a reference, the idea that the picture isn't good because it wasn't a complete transfer from your mind to the product.

As for application, older animations seemed to apply it well, with newer animations not really able to apply it correctly, they seem to lean on it rather let it influence the animation. There's that one anime where everyone is bobbing around due to rotoscoping

>mfw Nick Derington (who draws the current Doom Patrol) was the chief animator for that suit

Honestly this is the only thing that makes me shut up every time I want to say they wasted they're time and should've just gone with a live action movie, CGI would've fucked it up.

I know which one you’re talking about. It’s a shame they didn’t smooth out the animation, because it ended up detracting from the overall well told story.

There were a lot of neat moments that used it well. Live action just wouldn’t have seemed as trippy as it did.

I can't believe Jimmy Neutron got an Oscar nomination over this.

it isn't animation, it's a film special effect gimmick wearing animation as a costume

It seemed like the animators were told to use all the reference clip, even bob up all the actors did to start up the actual action, for some reason.

Gotta blast...

Wrong. It's not some automatic process, it still requires the animators to draw each individual frame - only they have a photo for reference

I think I can pinpoint my fascination with rotoscoping all the way back to classic adventure games like Flashback - the way things moved with such weight and realism blew my mind as a kid;

youtube.com/watch?v=DDEw7rAwPxU

well, that convinced me to watch American Pop.

Speaking of rotoscope, I just remembered my uncle let me borrow finding Van Gogh.

It has to be done well to not be fucked up. Also "It's just tracing!" Also can be sort of rigid on its own, without the various tricks for conveying motion. Makes it easy to dismiss without giving credit to good examples.

American Pop is fantastic, I hope you enjoy it!

I still need to see that, but I've been looking forward to it ever since I saw a few gifs of the trailer.

It's not even particularly common is it? Pretty sure traditional animation reigns as king in terms of money.

I can sort of understand the condescension -- animating a cartoon character fluidly requires a lot of skills and experience that are very specific to animation.

In contrast, using Loving Vincent as an example, a decent painter with no experience in animation can make fluid looking animation ( though to be fair, all the painters working on Loving Vincent were under the direction of someone who did have animation experience ).

But then there's examples like Scanner, where there's a lot of non-rotoscoped animation going on in various scenes, too.

I think most people who aren't first year animation snobs can appreciate rotoscoping done well, though.

Beautiful

I’ve never understood why there’s any hate for it at all, it’s a tool like any other.

I fucking love rotoscoping because it always has a very distinct style that conveys an interesting half in half out kind of animation vs real life. I did a project with a friend for school that I’ve been debating cleaning up and rotors coping because I find it interesting enough to attempt.