What does Sup Forums think of Kieron Gillen?

What does Sup Forums think of Kieron Gillen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uUVd9j543s8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have never thought of Kieron Gillen.

*tickles his chin* what's wrong widdle Gillen?

He can be an alright guy and can usually write a good story or two, but sometimes I get the feeling like he's too wrapped up in his own intelligence? Something like that?

His Kid Loki saga must be really, really excellent, because what I have read written by him (Iron Man, Young Avengers, Wicked + The Divine) wasn't good.

He was fine as Editor of PC Gamer.

These days he spends too much time being a retard on twitter like most "big name" comic book people.

is he gay

He used to have really long hair. He was my favourite writer at my favourite magazine (PC Gamer UK) and one of the reasons I initially grew my hair out. Then the glory days of PCG ground to a halt and Gillen, Walker and the rest of them went their own ways into pursuits that don't interest me. I don't really think about them any more.

You grew your hair out because you wanted to look like this?

Every picture of his has him making that stupid Jaden Smith face. I wonder if that's intentional or he has some facial defect that prevents him from looking like a normal human being.

That's pre-magazine. He looked cooler in his magazine mugshot. He looks like a child molester in that photo.

He is a gentleman.

But despite high expectations, his run on Iron Man wasn't all it could have been, it ended much too suddenly (For but a handful of silver he left us!) and, of course... the one decision that was worse than Extremis (but not as bad as Riri)... Tony Stark is adopted!

It made no sense in the continuity and it gave Bendis the opportunity to write some of the shittiest stories ever and that was about it. NOBODY knew how to handle it.

Too bad.

should have never left X-Men

Yep, that's the only thing of his that I've liked. He's a Bunn level guy, but for whatever reason like Spencer got a lot of high level work.

He writes uber and a good mister sinister. That makes him alright in my book.

He looks like one of a supervillain's mooks. Either working for them as a scientist or the guy who handles the money.

The only runs of his that didnt click with me was Mercury Heat and Iron Man. Other than that he's consistently solid to great and I'm always willing to give whatever he's writing a shot.
Marvel needs to stop pairing him up with shitty artists though.

Awful writer and a true nu-male.

It's stupid, shallow and memey.

I liked his Thor and Uncanny X-Men runs, the rest is meh

Weird Al?
Better than most comic writers, a solid 7/10 writter

She was okay as Nebula. Beautiful but not the hottest out there.

He ruined Young Avengers.

Decent writer, was good on PC Gamer UK, terrible twitter personality.

He looks like Eric and Dylan's friend who just couldn't make it to school that day.

An aging hipster who always wants to seem cool. He seems to desperately want to be Grant Morrison, if Phonogram and Wicked+Divine are any indication.

His Young Avengers is hot, ultra-dated garbage and came off like an old man trying to appeal to kids using all the trendy buzzwords he could remember.

Uber's pretty okay though. Not amazing, but consistently okay.

Gays should not be allowed to write comics. Drawing comics is fine though.

I dunno. McKelvie's gay and his art sucks.

>he doesn't read Craig P Russell
the real faggot here is you

Aside from the Mr. Sinister stuff, his X-men was pretty average.

she's hot

I enjoyed his PC GAMER work back in the late 90s.

With Iron Man, I don't get why Gillen wrote Recorder whatever when he was pretty much just Unit from Gillen's X-Men and I don't think anyone liked Unit.

It's crazy how this is the ONLY PLACE I've seen where people seem to dislike Young Avengers. Or maybe it's that those who don't are afraid of working up or something, because elsewhere it's considered one of the best runs and the reason characters like Hulkling and Wiccan have a rabid fanbase.
>Inb4 "duh yeah, in Tumblr!!"
Yet I read some here claiming it's "dated garbage." Absolutely ridiculous.

A hack writer. And patient zero for video game reviewers going from "how does this game play", to "how does this game make me feel".

Worst dialogue in the industry

no not karen gillian. but she IS hot. and tall

The very face of modern bugmen.

Its not like it sold well. Just because you've seen praise for it on places where negative opinions on something are silenced and discussion isn't encouraged doesn't change the fact that its badly written with even worse art.

>Yet I read some here claiming it's "dated garbage."
Because it's LITERALLY dated garbage. It's as if they did a book in the early 90s and it was all about grunge. Or a disco book in the late 70s. By every definition, it is dated. It's also garbage.

>negative opinions are silenced
So you really think he is where every single opinion is accepted and not drowned by the echo chamber? Just because there's no downvote button it doesn't mean people here are honest or even representative of a balanced opinion.
Also if it sold so badly as you say they wouldn't keep the trades on print, or made an omnibus that sells well even to these days. I got one coming my way in fact. Lesser series are lucky to even have volumes out.

He knows how to write women

Underrated

damn straight

duh yeah, on CBR forum

That's probably why so many people thought it was awesome.

Either that or you have a problem.

Do you have a problem, user?

He wrote Recorder 451 to be Thanos to Unit's Darkseid. A shrewd, callous manipulator, but passionate.

>That's probably why so many people thought it was awesome
Well, yes.

You can always go back to CBR.

>What does Sup Forums think of Kieron Gillen?
"I'll pass off this 'Madoka' plot as my own. Delightfully devilish, Kieron."

The use of tumblr as a framing device alone dates the book. Not to mention Gillen's attempts at writing teens are as bad as most other writers.

And making everyone some flavor of gay, not to mention making the book into even more of "Wiccan! featuring Loki and those other guys" book was pretty lame too.

Too bad people still loved that shit. Just now I saw a tweet by someone who's working on Hulkling/Wiccan art. Yeah, turns out the LGBT community latched onto that since it came out and it's the corner of Marvel many in here still refuse to acknowledge.

Wiccan is insanely boring as a character. Hulking is representative of what Young Avengers is though: They're a whole team of wasted potential.

>Son of Mar-Vell and Skrull royalty
>Heir to a great legacy
>Do nothing with that beyond that one arc and just have him be there to tell Wiccan how great he is

I'm not saying you can't have LGBT representation in comics. I'm gay, so I have nothing against that stuff. I'd rather see better or more interesting representation than more bland gay dudes.

Gays should have higher standards.

"My whore is exactly who you are!"

This story is PLODDING towards an obvious final confrontation with Ananke where we'll get a Monsters Inc/Madoka ending with yay gods forever. Like Uber he's incapable of telling an uncomplicated story in less than 30 issues. And they are uncomplicated stories.

*soys externally*

God, photoshopping that comic so it had Teahouse dialogue was some good times. The threads were more enjoyable than YA ever was or will be.

>Well done Allies. HOWEVER!

Also, I remember when he was a reviewer for PC Gamer. He was a pretentious arse back then too.

He looks like the kind of male feminist that later turns out to be a pedophile.

WicDiv bored me to tears

None more goth.

style over substance

youtube.com/watch?v=uUVd9j543s8

It pales in comparison to the original series.

Or maybe I just think that because I was 16 when Heinberg's run first came out. I'll reread them both and see what I think. /blog

I don't know, I read the Gillen's Young Avengers and thought it was very different than I was expecting from Marvel comics, as I was barely starting into them. That sort of perspective is what makes me perceive it as good for what it was. I think that's kind of what people tend to miss, no one starts reading comics the same way and even though tastes are a thing, people are shaped depending on each individual context.
That said I never read the original, only bits and pieces.

I enjoyed Gillen's Iron Man (for the most part) but he did make mistakes.

>he's too wrapped up in his own intelligence
After the recent Wicked + Divine storytime and following along with his tumblr notes, I agree 100%. His thought process is borderline tortured.
>We wanted to name this chapter "Pride" but some people died at the end of the chapter and we didn't want to associate a term that COULD be associated with LGBT pride with violence
There's at least one of these for every issue. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't kind of sad that his creative process is so mired in superstition and pearl clutching.

As someone who's tortured himself and reread them both recently, I'll tell you that Heinberg's run isn't all it's cracked up to be. It is, at the very least, written by someone who actually seems to like the Marvel universe though. And it has better art. The characters themselves are pretty hit and miss. They're almost all great concepts, but nothing's really done with them beyond their initial arcs or introductions, aside from Wiccan and Iron Lad.

Gillen's run tries way too hard to make the characters seem like teens. I know they are teens, but it comes off as a guy who's like "I've browsed some tumblrs. I know what the young folk like". Everyone not called "Wiccan" feels like an afterthought too. No one really gets a chance to do anything too exciting.

McKelvie's stiff, plastic fuckdoll art only adds to the frustration. There's no sense of life or movement.

tl;dr Heinberg's run is a mixed-bag, but still better than Gillen's.

>Worst dialogue in the industry
You've clearly never read Tom King's Batman. Or anything by Bendis.

He is good, and I have this feeling he will pass into great if he just manages to wrestle his own emotions to the ground.

the comics circles on the internet generally have pretty awful taste

Sup Forums can also have pretty awful taste, but they're at least mildly more discerning. Gillen's YA is another attempt to be Grant Morrison meta, and failing the stick the landing. At least four of the main characters could vanish and the story would be exactly the same.