Are the bindings on omnibuses as bad as people say they are or are they a decent way to get into a series?

Are the bindings on omnibuses as bad as people say they are or are they a decent way to get into a series?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookherald.com/reading-dc-comics/green-lantern-reading-order/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Omnibuses are basically novelty items for collectors. I wouldn't recommend them as the first-time method of reading a series unless they're the only way to read it and you really wanna support the publisher. Stick with trades.

>unless they're the only way to read it
Is it even possible to read Green Lantern in trade order without the omnibus? Every reading list I look up has trade hopping all over the place.

this
You'd need a reading stand or at least a desk and something to put under one of the book so you don't completely ruin the binding
If you do that the binding doesn't seem as bad
Most bindings can't stand having the weight of the book pull from both directions

It really depends on the specific series. You have to do research on what you're buying. Shelf threads here are a good resource for that.

>Is it even possible to read Green Lantern in trade order without the omnibus? Every reading list I look up has trade hopping all over the place.

Probably? Omnibus might be cheaper though depending on what is/isn't in print at the time. With GL/GLC you can just read arc to arc since the only time they have specific issues that you need to read and jump around book to book is the crossover events, kind of a coin flip on those whether though. IIRC Sinestro Corps War's trades are in order but Blackest Night collected the main book, GL, and GLC all separately.

My Omnis are DC 1 Million, Fourth World, and Just Imagine, and the only one I'd try reading without a table underneath is the last one.

Also it helps if you properly stretch the binding before you read it.

Omnibus is usually more to collect a series you really like in its best format outside of absolutes. Green lantern has decent binding if that's what your worried about. With any purchase look online first at reviews, unboxings and forums and you'll usually get a decent idea of the quality of the product. Recent omnibus to avoid are JLI, Walt simonsons thor and Duggans deadpool.

And make sure you get a second printing Fourth World.

>Walt simonsons thor and Duggans deadpool.
What happened with these?

If you need a reading stand or a desk, you're doing something wrong unless it's something insanely fuckhuge like the Fourth World omni.

It's fine, just break in the binding when it arrives, put something under the left pages and read it on a hard surface. I always read mine in bed, using my laptop box as a surface and my glasses case as a counterweight to the left pages.

But really, you should pirate before taking a 3 omnibuses plunge.

Both had bad binding problems that meant entire chapters would fall out of the book. A lot of people solved the Duggan binding issue by gluing the sewn binding directly to the spine but the Thor one resulted in a lot of people myself included returning the books waiting for a replacement.

Is this the recent Thor reprint? Because if so that really sucks.

So if I'm reading Sandman for the first time, the trade route is my best option?

The Sandman Omnis are a reasonable size, so they're not under quite so much pressure.

Yeah the book finally came back into reprinting and the completely fucked it up. When I unwrapped it I had noticed the front cover had come away slightly from the actual book and sure enough about the first three chapters had fallen out of the book completely

I'd say try the first couple trades either online or physically and if you like it look into the omnibus or absolute editions as they are two of the best made book collections dc has put out.

There's nothing wrong with getting an omnibus. Just flex the book a bit when you get it, and read it on a desk

In a few years they'll slow down the printing of the omnis and recollect it on 12-18 issue trade paper backs dedicated to collecting johns' run specifically, like they're currently doing with his JSA, Flash, and Teen Titans

Just buy that, it's a really good form for reading that

Any bigger than the Animal Man omni and it's just not practical.
Reading through my Doom Patrol omni was a struggle for comfort.

Bought Ms. Marvel Omnibus 2 months ago, after reading 30-45 pages I just downloaded it on my iPad and continued reading from it.
After that I started doing that for all comics (buying physical and reading it from iPad or PC).
I'm just afraid of ruin, torn apart or left finger bumps on it. Am I not only one like this, right?

Hey Sup Forums I haven't really read too much of GL series from the new 52, is the reboots any good for GL?

It is but it's intense... comicbookherald.com/reading-dc-comics/green-lantern-reading-order/

>he doesn't practice lifting with the Fourth World omnibus