Was T,Challa already the Black Panther in Civil War?

From his solo movie it seems that when u become king u also become the Black Panther. Considering T’Challa wasn’t crowned king until BP why does he have the panther powers and the suit?

From the sounds of it, I don't think Black Panther and King are exactly the same title. They're shared but I think it can be transitioned to a new champion if need be.

Yeah I think he was. His father was too old to still be the Black Panther so T'challa took up his role. He definitely seemed enhanced in Civil War, and accustomed to the suit.

T'Challa was already "Black Panther" during Civil War, and yes he already had the powers during that time. His father was too old to be active defender of Wakanda, and T'Challa was next in line anyway. Had someone else become king, he would have to relinquish both powers and title.

The ritual combat has a whole thing for stripping away the powers before it begins, so presumably it's been tradition that the heir apparent gets black panther powers too and then has to win them back during the actual ascension to the throne.

It's a plothole.
I think they're trying to make it so BP took place before Winter Soldier.
But there's no way they can resolve it without (Again) butchering the plot they already have.

And honestly, "a wizard did it" is what I'll go with.

He can't have been BP since he never earned the right. On the other hand, since BP is the king and apparently the king can say "nope, fuck it, this idiot is the protector now", invalidates the need for mortal combat since anyone can be named leader randomly by the king.

All in all, it won't ever be brought up in the movies like every other plothole

It seems like the king is usually also the Black Panther, but if the king is too old then someone else can fill the role of Black Panther until they die or something.

>It's a plothole.
>I think they're trying to make it so BP took place before Winter Soldier.
>But there's no way they can resolve it without (Again) butchering the plot they already have.

none of this is true

>It's a plothole.

Really isn't.

>I think they're trying to make it so BP took place before Winter Soldier.

They...literally state it, in dialogue, that it happened a week after the events of "Captain America: Civil War". Then T'Challa mentions how he gave Zemo back to Ross.

They could not have spoon feed this to you anymore than they did.

>He can't have been BP since he never earned the right. On the other hand, since BP is the king and apparently the king can say "nope, fuck it, this idiot is the protector now", invalidates the need for mortal combat since anyone can be named leader randomly by the king.

Wow, you just answered your own "plothole". T'Chaka, due to age, gave the mantel of the Black Panther to T'Challa.

T'Challa even mentions in "Captain America: Civil War" how The Black Panther and King are two separate titles.

You are stupid on an atomic level.

did you miss the first 15 minutes of the movie? he was BP before he was crowned. Then took away his powers to fight for his right to be king, then gained them back after he was worthy of the crown.

who gives a fuck about niggers?

>retard confirmed for not having seen it

It's pretty clear from early on in the movie how all this shit works, and the only reason you keep cooking up bullshit like this is that you haven't seen it yet.

It's shitposting. He's asked this question in several Black Panther threads

they didnt actually go over the mantel of black panther in the movie. In Civil War they seem to highlight that the black panther is one title and NOW also king is another title. The BP movie is consistent with this.

The problem with it being a plothole is the writers aren't sure what's happening when.
We already have time travel so that's one reason, I think it can work with some time writing.

On the other hand I don't think they'll stick to it being mini king was allowed to wear it to avenge big king since in Civil War, he made it clear he stole it and it would be returned.

It's this. T'Challa was already automatically next in line for being the King's kid so as heir apparent, he gets the powers when the current King is too old. When it comes time for his coronation, that's when someone can challenge him for both throne and powers. Which is why the power has to be stripped away in the first place. There's no plot hole here. It's not as if there's a free for all for the power the moment the king dies, an heir exists and must be challenged to not automatically get the throne.

There isnt a plot hole

In Civil War he stated he had to take the suit against the rules of his country.

it's messed up but it won't be resolved

It's also possible that with the death of his father and king that he jumped the gun to gain some measure of control over the situation. Just because there's a rule doesn't mean it's always followed.

They never said that. At no point did they say T'Challa took the suit against the wishes of others

So as heir, T'Challa is just an extension of the King as long as he's on the throne. So there's no issue with passing the Black Panther power to him. Considering people can be king to an age long after they have the capability to fight as a Black Panther should, it's probably always been that way.

Not others, the rules of the country/mantle.

"blah blah defend wakanda, only temporarily can be worn as I'm the heir and not the king"

He wasn't allowed to have the mantle without the permission of the king

What the fuck are you talking about? He was already Black Panther when his father was alive. He broke no rules

The first time BP shows up in the costume, he gives the speech to cap

And? All he said is that he now wears the title of both warrior and king. It's not that hard to follow; he was acting Black Panther by consent of the previous king, his father T'Chaka, and after his death he was given temporary power of king until it became official in his solo movie. Both titles can be shared by a person, but its also possible to give the title of Black Panther to someone else in service of the king if said king can't follow those duties

He was acting king - there's literally no BP allowed without king. He was breaking the rules by it.
But they ignored it in his own movie most likely because it wasn't even written when Cvil War was written so they were't sure what to od.

It's still a plothole just one that'll be forgotten about but there are lots of them in the series

I don't understand what you're saying, run that by me again? Are you saying he wasn't allowed to be Black Panther unless he was officially crowned as King? Because again, he was already Black Panther in service of his father T'Chaka.

He was Black Panther for as long as the king that made him BP exists. Then he died. There's no king (officially) and no BP as nobody is allowed to wear the mantle of BP without the king's permission.

But at the time of Civil War that rule wasn't in place so in retrospect, yes, gaping plothole (or realistically we just go with the fact that t'challa is a dick that wants revenge only). But the writers are struggling to use a mixture of both movies and are jumbled

>There's no king (officially) and no BP as nobody is allowed to wear the mantle of BP without the king's permission.
T'challa was the successor. For all intents and purposes he was the king during that period of time.

That's not a plot hole though. T'Challa, by birthright and emergency powers, was fairly active king at that time, and was still a Black Panther chosen by a king. He broke no rules. And if anything, Wakandans accepted his title because he was currently seeking justice for their assassinated king, which was under his responsibility

The problem here is that he was going to be made king by default of being heir until he was challenged. The king was dead and without the king, you can't have a BP as it's literally a case of "go BP armor now, defend" order from the king. No king = no BP permission

It's as simple as that. But again to remove the plothole we can just go the route in Civil War when he said he broke the rules out of revenge and would retire it until the king gave permission for it again.

It's why until the corronation takes places, he's breaking the rules

Stop dude

>Autism
Bringing the king's killer to justice officially put formalities on hold, and Wakanda had his support on it. If they didn't, his bodyguard/general would have brought it up. The 5 tribes are sticklers for tradition, but you're acting like this isn't a special circumstance they wouldn't accept. You're calling this shit a plot hole when its pretty clear it isn't

I would guess the Black Panther is probably traditionally the heir to the throne rather than the king, and T'challa is only both because he's never had kids yet?

Not an argument - refute what my points are
Not an argument but a flame

In either case of your lack of arguments I'll complete the point: the plot hole exists in that in Civil War T'Challa was happy to admit he was disobeying tradition and it was a special circumstance only to bring the killer to justice which is fine, absolutely fine.
Yet at the same time, we also learn from that that the king can only grant permission to wear the mantle, hence the breaking of the rules.
But hey, revenge!

Then we move to !notaltstory where T'Challa is all about his tradition and somehow understands he can't just use magical powers anymore because... tradition and fairness.

So somewhere between the writing of the movies, we went from "revenge matters" to "actually no, what matters is the tradition and I'm more than happy to not get revenge but to do things within the traditional rules".

Esssentially they backtracked on T'Challa.
But again this is futile - they know they fucked up, it's the same with a lot of the story and it'll be ignored for the big effects and Thanos in his human mask

>These mental gymnastics
He's going to bring up this argument EVERY Black Panther thread, like he's done in every thread before. Don't fall for it, he wants something to bitch about

It's already been explained in comments before yours

>MCU stans blatantly righting off all criticism as shitposting

Pathetic.

Weak bait. You've gotten plenty of credital answers you've chosen to ignore. Bitch about real plot holes, like Stark quitting every other movie, or what the hell the 9 realms are

Seriously?
Ge was the Heir Apparent.
He is next in line, it’s called being groomed for the role.

Even if T’chaka was BP at the time he has the power to delegate his duties as he sees fit.
Since being BP requires you to get powers and a suit what do you think was going to happen?

This is either autism, or some next level bait, combined with an astounding ignorance of the source material.

He had been the Black Panther for years. His father got too old and he had to take over the job.

No OP, he’s only the Panther in Wakanda, anyplace else he’s jut Black Cat, try reading more comics you fucking fifthly casual

>he king was dead and without the king, you can't have a BP as it's literally a case of "go BP armor now, defend" order from the king. No king = no BP permission

This is never stated anywhere, man.

You managed to create your own head canon.

The BP is the protector of Wakanda. The rules are only that the mantle is passed on from warrior to warrior.

Like other anons said already, T'Challa was next in line for the throne and already BP. In the BP movie he even goes on missions before the coronation day, which is when he is officially challenged for both.

This line is not in th movie. The exact lines are:

"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king."

No line about it being prohibited or anything ever.

>there's literally no BP allowed without king. He was breaking the rules by it.

Why are you making stuff up, user?

Seeing as T'Challa went on ANOTHER mission as the Black Panther AFTER having avenged his father but before being crowned, and in full view of the Dora Milaje general, we can safely say that the title of Black Panther was rightfully his until such a time as the proper ceremony for ascension to the throne was performed.

He was Black Panther and presumably acting king. Most likely, he was the heir apparent and Wakandan forces were happy to follow his lead for as long as it took the preparations for the ceremony to be completed. At which point, he voluntarily gives up the powers of the Black Panther and either wins against, yields to or dies against any legitimate challenger.