Finished watching this recently after my boyfriend suggested that I watch it

Finished watching this recently after my boyfriend suggested that I watch it.

Why was katara such a mary sue where she became a super master of water on a level of ancient masters and zuko was always getting the really band end of the stick when it came to power or skill?

It really bothered me because it seemed like they were pandering towards girls trying to make the females way more badass than males and showing how incompetent guys are. like sexist.

Being a female I honestly just want well written female characters not nerfing and buffing for no reason.

Katara was naturally talented, but lacked training. Once she got some formal training she excelled.

Zuko was similarly naturally talented, but he let his emotions get in the way of proper bending form. He just wanted to burn out of control, which caused him to get defeated a lot. Note how he got way more powerful once he learned some proper bending discipline from his uncle.

Don't try to trick us, we all know that you are a dude with a gay boyfriend buddy.

>boyfriend
So... you're a boy or a girl?

>Being a female I honestly just want well written female characters not nerfing and buffing for no reason.
I written a book with complete female characters if you wish

Idk katara did not show anything that made it seem like she had enough natural talent for how absurdly powerful she got near the end.

And even with Iroh training him and the dragons and all of that, he still always seemed like he had nothing going for him, everything he did messed up and his power over fire was completely dwarfed by his sister and simply on par with normal fire benders.

Sorry, just a girl.

Something I think people underestimate is that Katara may have been naturally talented, but she also received the very best training you can receive: constant, live-fire training. She was fighting for her life regularly. Of course she got gud.

In the end Zuko outstripped Azula. The only reason she got an edge over him was that he took a lightning bolt meant for Katara. If that hadn't happened he clearly would've won.

That might make sense if it was years of it... but she became an absolute master above old masters in less than a year or however long everything took, it was just blatantly overpowered

Perhaps you could argue there were other expressions of waterbending, fuller expressions, that Katara didn't get proficient at, just fighting, and fighting mainly fire-benders at that. Perhaps it sounds a bit silly, but we saw her only do what she was good at doing, so it appeared she got excessively good at water-bending, whereas if she had been tested on a broader-scope of water-bending she'd have done more poorly.

pic unrelated

Well, she wasn't really all that great when compared to other benders. Her own master was definitely better.

You wanna know who got it bad in that series? Sokka.

If you are not a boy, get out. Girls are icky and have cooties.

She seemingly had all the mastery one needed over water, ice, healing in most every way one could do it

She was at least able to go toe to toe with pakku, who was by all rights probably be best waterbender in the world at that point because of how small the tribes were.

Then she managed to beat the bloodbending master pretty much instantly even though this woman was a master bender who invented the art and had been practicing it for years, it was crap

lol

>She was at least able to go toe to toe with pakku,

No she didn't. Pakku beat her pretty badly in the end.

Really makes you think

I mean if she had beat him no one would be able to contest that she wasn't a mary sue... but she did fight him for quite a bit until he stomped. it was enough to be odd that she was able to go that long with the master of waterbending in the world

Is it a point often brought up?

>katara did not show anything that made it seem like she had enough natural talent for how absurdly powerful she got near the end.

She split an iceberg in half in the first episode. By accident. I'm not saying you dno't have a point but her innate skills were always pretty clearly established.

In regards to the blood bender, that was the whole point. The blood bender, as evil as she was, was trying to pass on her knowledge to Katara. When it looked like Katara wasn't going to go through with it, The bloodbender put Katara in a situation where she would have to use it in order to stop her. Thus, if she was stopped the bloodbender would have assured that her knowledge was passed on.

Zuko was lucky to be born. He was a failure in terms of talent but made up for it by working hard.
You don't remember the fire dance flashback of little Zuzu and his sister in front of their grandfather?

HEY, EVERYBODY!

This same dude posted the exact same thread yesterday, except it wasn't as a girl with the boyfriend that got her into it, but as Sup Forums-bait arguing about feminine agenda.

This entire thread is bait.

Since when did anyone ever assert that Avatar had good writing lol? It was a dinky little kids show, do not read into it more than that.

Really tips the 'ole cabbage stand

Ok. I'm leaving the thread. I just hoped it was a qt 3.14 guy and his bf.

That could be a fair point though it seemed like she really overpowered her.

I do not remember that scene, but it just seemed like nothing zuko ever did was enough, like he was born to fail at everything he ever put his mind to.

Sorry to burst your bubble but everything I said is true, I just do not like when writing goes lazy like this

>I do not remember that scene, but it just seemed like nothing zuko ever did was enough, like he was born to fail at everything he ever put his mind to.
Yes and he never gave up regardless. That is what makes his character.
I'm pretty sure the flashback is in the episode Zuko alone of season 2 btw.

Well he for sure never gave up, it was just tiring to see him fail at trying to be bad and then trying to be good and generally just not having anything that great about him. Kinda like sokka.

Katara's been waterbending since she was a toddler, a natural prodigy, trained by the literal best waterbender in the series, constantly training with the Avatar, fighting people from all over the world. It makes sense. Under similar circumstances someone like Toph or Azula would've also gotten very strong very fast.

And plus she's the representation of waterbending for the show, so she needs to be a bit badass.

>Pretending to be a girl will make people listen to my gay opinions
this is something you believed

ok

She's still the least experienced bender in the show by far. She didn't have any formal training until Pakku. Toph was trained by badger moles when she was 6 and mastered earthbending to the point she could fight adults in underground fighting championships, and all of that was before meeting Aang. Azula was trained practically since birth to be the most powerful firebender in existence, and for the longest time it seems she is until the show decides that Katara is suddenly stronger for absolutely no reason. Even Zuko has more experience bending than Katara does, and he even beats her AFTER she was trained by Pakku. This is really strange considering she is now supposedly a master, and Zuko is a shitter until season 3. It's almost like Katara's powerlevel fluctuates depending on what the plot demands, rather than any actual internal consistency

>mary sue
Stop making this thread, asshole.

Not me, do you have a better word for it?

Exactly

am genuinely impressed with this if it's not pasta. Good job OP

but what really makes it bad writing and a giant waste of time is the ending that fails to deliver any conclusion to all that build up
the worst of it is ofc the last agni kai where both zuko and azula are cheated out of their character arcs for katara to look good

Not engaging. Stop doing this.

There are no girls on the internet, your sex does not matter, it does not change the validity of your perspective and it seems like you are just fishing for brownie points for being a girl that criticises a female character. Plus we already had this thread countless times

Only posted it once and I wont again since it seems like I was right though

Okay just wanted to mention it because it honestly bugs me how women get poorly written characters that are badasses just for the sake of it, it sucks

>Katara can't beat Zuko in the daytime at the north pole
>Katara can beat comet powered Azula in the daytime
>She didn't even use bloodbending, which is realistically the only way she could have won such a matchup

Really makes me think

Katara I can't defend, but with Zuko I think they may have been trying to make a point of keeping it so he's a tier below Azula and a notch below Aang so that the whole thing about him feeling inferior is consistent. Whether it was necessary is another matter.
I think not having a mother, being scarred by his father and exiled from his people was enough on his plate really.
He of course is still formidably skilled even if he didn't have raw power so it's not that bad but I'm displeased with how they needlessly injected Katara into his final fight with Azula.

>Only posted it once and I wont again since it seems like I was right though
we all used to think like that once but now here we are talking about the same thing in three simultaneous threads
and having a blast

just make sure not to go overboard with it OP
>it honestly bugs me how women get poorly written characters that are badasses just for the sake of it, it sucks
they are overpowered not badass - because there is a crucial difference between those two

I assumed it was pakku humoring her/toying with her, until he got tired of her shit and stomped her out.

>Is it a point often brought up?

Just interesting that we're having a lot of threads about how Katara sucks all of a sudden.

I expect we'll have more in the future, especially once people stop responding to the current 'Katara sucks lol' thread.

But keep spamming the board OP, I've seen it much worse than this before, you need to up your game if you want to impress me.

Every 10 minutes until you admit Katara sucks and Korra is superior water tribe waifu

>>Only posted it once and I wont again

Stop lying.

>it seems like I was right though

No.

Girls don't use Sup Forums. They're too busy plotting how they are going to reject us.

>"Being a female"
>on Sup Forums

Listen here little baby. You're gonna get a lot of hurtful and degrading comments, but that ain't what I'm about. Let me just say, you are perfect the way you are. You hear me sugar? PERFECT. Don't ever change. You deserve anything and everything you want. Stay safe for me, baby girl.

>mfw thinking of you hurting

Really makes you think about their 'stronk wymen agenda'

>She's still the least experienced bender in the show by far
So? You say that as if it's a plothole. It's not. It's completely reasonable she's as powerful as she is. How strong do you think Toph would be if she was trained firsthand by Bumi for a couple months and fought across the world like Katara, rather than somehow running into badgermoles?

In fact, thinking about it it makes more sense than how Toph's so powerful. It's not like badgermoles can teach her proper forms or somehow communicate how to be a better earthbender. More like she spent that time in the cave dabbling in earthbending...similar to how Katara's been dabbling since a young girl. But difference is Toph went out of it able to take on earthbenders who fight for a living, and is one of the strongest characters in the entire series at the age of 12.

Not that I'm really complaining or that it bothered me.

Also if Katara trained with Pakku it'd probably be after the siege episodes, between season 1 and season 2. She couldn't have been with Pakku long before her battle with Zuko because the Fire Nation were already on their way when they reached the Northern Water Tribe.

>It's not like badgermoles can teach her proper forms or somehow communicate how to be a better earthbender.

Badgermoles are to earthbending as dragons are to firebending. It makes sense that someone who trains under them from a young age would be exceptionally powerful. Katara had the least training and experience of anyone. Her powerlevel is inconsistent and its a product of bad writing

Katara was already grasping the basics and had the concepts down when the show started. Then she spent like a year or two training with the avatar in between fighting for her life and the lives of her friends. Then she spent a month or so with the best master/ trainer in the capital of water benders. Her being really good isn't too much of an overreach.

Zuko had a lot of skill too but constantly tried to make his power come from his anger and hate. Bending comes from chi and chi is heavily tied to emotional states. Once he made peace with his anger and learned not to pull his fire from rage he got a huge power boost.
Katara beating him at the pole when they fought the second time made perfect sense. She was calm and confident and literally in her element. I don't see it as a Mary Sue moment or plot armor at all

No she didn't. She wasn't running around fighting masters. The one time she fought a master he played around until she slapped him and then he completely stomped her, finishing by styling on her by immoblizing her with ice spikes that he could've easily killed her with if he wanted

Meant for
And she only beat the bloodbending lady because katara out did her when it came to pure bending muscle. And lady was super old and declining in power

The Hogyoku fullfills the wishes of the people surrounding it. Katara just wished to be a stronger waterbender than the avatar

I have no idea what you just wrote.

The badgermoles do very simple movements to bend, I don't know how observing them would net you some crazy bending forms that Toph shows off.

wow geez its almost like bending is tied to emotional states and azula was completely unhinged and already beaten by zuko making her even more crazy and then katara made her fall in to a trap because even when insane azula was still too strong for katara wow really makes me think

Now, THAT's some old pasta

OP's already posted another gaslighting thread on the same topic. Report and move on.