Marvel Implosion

Another one leaving Marvel this week
>Walker
>Samnee
>Walta
Who's next?

Everyone. Donny Cates and Jason Aaron will write 8 books each.

How long before DOBSON is hired?

Were artists contracts ending always newsworthy?

Don't forget Nick Spencer

They became newsworthy when artists/writers signing exclusives became newsworthy.

Don't you dare speak that into existence.

Walta is a shit artist and Samnee was stuck with Waid, hope he gets to do some creator owned work now

>Marvel: A Fresh Start... with cheap webcomic artists.

>MARLEL

Right now it is because Marvel is losing more talent than they're gaining and what they're gaining is no talent at all.

Who was the last actual top talent writer Marvel had? No, Hackman doesn't count.

That's a tough one.

>when artists/writers signing exclusives became newsworthy
things happened before 2005 millennial, that became newsworthy in 1986

At least Marvel accounting is getting "a fresh start" with a lower payroll.

My bet is Samnee is going to do creator owned work. David Brothers piece about Samnee way back ('how much of his work does Samnee actually own?') left an impression on the dude.

Yeah I think this as well. Walta will probably follow King to DC. I imagine those Vision hardcovers padded his wallet nicely

That's unfortunate for Marvel. They really are in need of talent to carry the new Legacy relaunch.
Though I would love to see Walta do some work for DC, maybe for something grounded and more cinematic like Priest's Deathstroke, or do a full-fledge Graphic Novel with a very strong writer.
The guy really needs a lot more exposure imo. The same guy that did The Vision shouldn't be going around wasting time on titles like Occupy Avengers or Doctor Strange.

>Losses: Bendis, Lemire, Walker, Samnee, Walta
>Gains: None
>Fresh Start series: Avengers (upcoming moive), Venom (upcoming movie), Black Panther (freshly released move), Infinity event (upcoming movie), Wolverine mini hugely expanded to 14 issues, multiple other comics coming to a close with no word of any replacements.
Seriously, is Disney shuttering everything Marvel soon except the movies? Because it really looks like they've trimmed the budget massively and they're totally going on the cheap from here on out.

Brubaker or maybe Rucka? I don't like these faggots though, they keep writing the same thing over and over.

>Gains: Lost Bendis, Walter

Oh no Marvel lost the guy, nay the Sales Titan who let Dr. Strange fall to under 25K, how will Marvel ever survive without this Industry Giant?

Disney doesn't touch the comics, Perlmutter is still in charge of that.

Sup Forums would collapse into a shitposting singularity.

this guy is good, why didnt they extend his contract?

>Gabriel hernandez walta

So DC is gonna pick him up to be one of King's art whores right? That would give him Gerads, this guy, and Janin (if King keeps him on Batman any longer or works with him on one more project).

It's almost as if telling your creators that their art doesn't matter will divorce them from loyalty to your brand.

I'm now thinking of Walta on a King-written Booster Gold mini.

Shut up faggots black panther is the highest grossing movie of all time

DC BTFO

Would Walta be good for that "heroes deal with PTSD" that King said was in early development? I can't remember if an artist was attached.

Why is Marvel disinterested in keeping good artists?

Is it that Perlmutter is very very cheap?

>98843168
The point you were trying to make is lost immediately when everyone in Sup Forums and their family know Marvel Comics a shit, ironically with the same shit in the DCEU's Snyderverse.

>Contract is up
>OMG MARLEL IMPLOSION!!!111!!

Settle down

>he doesn't remember 2012/2013 DC when everybody just fucking left for marvel
>he doesn't remember ~2015 marvel when everybody just fucking left for image

Just let it go. Let Marvel die. I don't understand why you all wish to save it so?

>everybody
>three or four individuals

Nothing big is happening or about to happen. Both companies are suffering from a lack of new or interesting talent. Settle your hate boner down

Samnee and Walker are already confirmed to leave, and King is writing the biggest boy at DC and can sell a c lister like Mister Miracle on his name. Walta would be dumb as fuck to not cozy up to him.

The blame of poor Dr Strange sales does not fall on the artist, but on Dr Strange. Even the MCU meme couldn't elevate him past B List.

Is no one going to point out the glaring typo in that headline?

Especially after the success that Vision is having compared to the rest of marvel.

I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU IF THIS COMES TO PASS.

AND THEN MURDER THAT LOW-TEST MANLET.

This is not the Mouse's doing, this is Ike the Kike.

Ike the Kike means shekels for him, none for the pencil monkeys in his employ.

Still have two inches left on that pencil, goy.

isn't Disney technically Ike's boss? why won't they replace him?

He owns a shit load of stock in Disney itself. I remember rumors years ago of him being either the third or fourth largest shareholder. He got a lot when he sold Marvel

>Walta leaving Marvel

Put this man on King's inevitable Swamp Thing book yesterday.

>Samnee leaving Marvel
SHAZAM!

Cebulski should go full weeaboo, lend all Marvel IPs to Shueisha and reboot the 616 universe as manga drawn by Japanese artists,and sell chapters on magazines like Weekly Marvel Comics for Teenagers and Weekly Marvel Universe for Young Adults and compile the series on tankobons.

The guy that drew that is monthly though. You're looking for one piece tier art

>Why is Marvel disinterested in keeping good artists?
Because upper management is back to the mindset that talent is replaceable and IP's are all that matter. It explains why they've gone to the YA novelist and webcomcis crowd for talent, cheap and inexperienced in the industry.

Seeing lifers like Bendis and JRJR jump ship is so telling about the state of Marvel.

Marvel is still "wasting" good artist in Star Wars comics?

Oh haha no, they have Salvador Larroca doing photo realism, but only on faces for some reason.

Walker is a shit writer, glad to see him go

Brisson silently leaves the party.

Would it be a bad idea to hire one or two of their mcu scriptwriters? I prefer MCU versions of most heroes.

His Cyborg run was a decent read.

I doubt they would lower themselves. More work for less pay, comics are pretty much all done by passionate weirdos who truly love the stuff or people who couldn't make it in other fields.

you're lying

Ok who do you want him and King to reunite on

Good point. I also like to point out comics in the older times were word heavy and even most single issue monthly releases were written like dense graphic novels but yeah now anyone can do it because its more visuals than words and you don’t need to be good with words. I went back to read Judas Contract and it still surprised me how long it took me to just read one issue.

Hackman was the last good writer Marvel had.

Hickman wrote like the “old way”. Of course during Infinity people complained that he wasn’t an action junky like Jhons because they didn’t have the attention span to get through them.

>an do it because its more visuals than words
I'd argue , at least in mainstream comics, that we're still in an era dominated by writers over artists. They just stretch basic plots out to 6 issue arcs every time often making individual issues not worth reading on their own each month.

The disconnect in collaborative comics seems awful right now.

What comic would Dobson write if he got hired by Marvel?

And not a single penny will go to the comic division.

Come on say it with me.

NOT. A. SINGLE. PENNY

:)

Ooooh, I thought this was Kev Walker.

Killmonger was created in the early 70's. I wonder how bad royalties are on a contract from that era.

They should beg Zeb Wells and John Rogers to come back.

Checkem

The real question is when will they hire Chris-Chan?

>Who are Pepe Larraz, Javier Rodríguez, Ryan Stegman, Kim Jacinto, Mark Brooks, Gabriel Walta, Jen Bartel, Paco Medina, Sara Pichelli, Leinil Yu, Rod Reis?
Absolutely NO new talent at all in Marvel, you guys. No sir! Only writers matter, except I can only name 4 and I hate 5! Yeah that's right!

Not to mention Russell Dauterman, David Marquez, Stefano Caselli, Marco Checchetto, Daniel Acuña, Phil Noto, Valerio Schiti, Mike Del Mundo, Aaron Kuder, Stuart Immonen, Jesus Saiz, Victor Ibanez, Jorge Molina, Marcus To, Geoff Shaw, Travel Foreman. (And there are guys like McNiven and Cheung that I don't like much, but they have fans)

As guy who mostly read DC I am just angry because DC has like 7 good artists

>Javier Rodríguez
Sup Forums hates him because he draws " weird faces"

I'd like Stegman more if he had a better inker

Sup Forums mostly has a shit taste and doesn't like anything that is not "normal"

It's like you're tryimg to act smug then you list people who have been at Marvel or the industry for years and call them "new."

Forgot about Kuder, who's also one of my favorites, as well as Foreman, who grew on me after thinking he had an "ugly" style. Another mention goes to Adam Gorham and Izaarke. And I keep hoping Danilo Beyruth does a series for Marvel too.
(Also noticed I mentioned Walta in my initial post, but truth to be told I was going by memory)
I hope he gets a new one for the Venom ongoing.

Do you think the comics that are released now are made on the spot or what? They're the product of many months and years of scripts and drafts, so the art you see today was most likely made half a year ago after it was inked and lettered.

>I hope he gets a new one for the Venom ongoing.
I doubt he will, he inks his own shit. As far as I'm concerned, he's the same as Yu, good pencillers that need a solid inker to add some weight to their linework. Otherwise it just looks like a bunch of sketches.

Realistic art has nearly always been the preferred taste by superhero fans. Then every so often a rougher less polished artist(s) will grab fan attention. Like Kirby and Ditko compared to DC's Joe Kubert and Gil Kane or even when the Image guys first rose to popularity. But it always goes back to realism. in the 70's Krby was pushed aside for Neal Adams and in the 2000's McNiven and Hitch were the superstars.

I'm following Greg Capullo's twitter, and he got finished on Metal 6 on President's Day. Metal 6 is published next month.

Will DC comics pick up Samnee for any art? I like his style on certain characters and think he would do good for The Terrifics

>They're the product of many months and years of scripts and drafts, so the art you see today was most likely made half a year ago after it was inked and lettered.
Wut? No. It doesn't take that long. If you're talking about planning out a long term run, sure. But the actual creation of the content of a single issue takes about a month or two .

So is this why the Shogun went to China? To outsource the comic art?

Belief seems to be that he'll do a creator owned project, whether on his own or with a writer. I believe it was pointed out that he actually owns none of his work. Even his work at Vertigo and Image was a fill in artist on work for hire.

Maybe to find out how Marvel can try and push comics there too, since China is already such a important market for their movies.

That sucks about not owning his work. Sounds like he deserves some compensation pay or something.

Yeah it's why I'm fine with artists I like doing bland movie pitches with Millar.

Do western comic do well enough in Asia? I remember seeing some Superman floppies way back when but I don't imagine them being preferable over things like Jump

Kuder is exclusive, though I haven't really liked his work (Death of X was pretty ugly).
Foreman, unless he recently signed an exclusive, is still a free agent (he did a few issues of Hellblazer in early 2016)

Eh not really. The characters are extremely famous, but the actual comics are not very widely read. All the big Asian markets have very strong domestic comic industries, though only Japan's is internationally competitive.

So the question is, what is stopping a collection of upper echelons from getting together from "convincing" him to leave "willingly" or "something else" like they did with all of those others that didn't play ball?

A lot of those artists are not Marvel exclusive and have done some work for DC within the past year.

Hell, I know Marcus To is doing Justice League with Snyder and Manapul in May.

Waid....he was an A-list back in DC at the time. Anyone who says otherwise was too young to remember. Anyways Waids A-list status died with champions and avengers.

That would be pretty amazing.

Yea I couldnt see it until you pointed it out. Holy shit it makes too much sense.

Other than Marcus To who out of this artists work for DC? No one

Marvel is shit when it comes to royalties. Starlin got more in royalties for fucking KGBeast being in BvS than any characters that he created that were used in the MCU combined. Same was true for Wein for Lucius Fox.

Literally the only thing that made me happy about Bendis going to DC was the hope that some of his usual artists would join him but of course that fucking didn't happen.

Walta is drawing comics, not writing them.
Tbh, Walta is a good artist, but normies hate his art. co hatred him on some X-men title and star liking obly after his work with King.
This. Marvel has much more talented artists than DC.

It keeps happening.

Death of X was ugly but also had a fill in for like 2 and a half issues which shows how fast that junk was pushed out. His GOTG was great though, same with action comics.