Black Panther censored in India

>Audiences in India who went to see the latest installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe noted that while during a scene between T'Challa (Chadwick Boseman) and M'Baku (Winston Duke) a single word was muted. The word? "Hanuman," censored from M'Baku's hailing of his god when he says, "Glory to Hanuman." Fans who had noticed the unusual muting of the word also noted on Twitter that it wasn't just that the audio was dropped out in the scene, but even in subtitles as well.

>The reference was muted out by India's Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) and was reportedly removed from the film out of a concern that the reference would "hurt religious sentiments." It turns out that Hanuman isn't just the god M'Baku and his Jabari tribe worship in the film but is also a popular diety in Hinduism. While the diety has many names, Lord Hanuman is the most common for the diety who resembles a monkey. Given Hanuman's appearance the movie appears to simply adopt the name for the Jabari gorilla god.
comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/21/black-panther-censored-in-india/

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKqMxxwp3t0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

FUCK India.

It's not like he talked shit about him

>It turns out that Hanuman isn't just the god M'Baku and his Jabari tribe worship in the film but is also a popular diety in Hinduism

Who didn't know this?

How long before the "tribes" claim that Amaterasu or Zeus is one of their gods too? Also Hanuman is cool as fuck, you should read the Ramayana sometime.

I am with India on this one.
They "we WUZ" a bunch of non-African deities in the comics, Hanuman being one of them.
Why not use Sub Saharan African deities?

Not big enough or all that powerful when looking at the feats of other gods around the world.

One, this is petty bullshit, there was nothing negative about it. Two, this is probably a call-back to the Hyborean ape god Hanuman, who is in turn based on Hindu Hanuman. While a god, so is basically almost everything else in Hinduism but those don't get censored even when they're more important than a literal monkey side-kick. I think it's because Indians don't like the negro.

There's not a lot to choose from, and it wouldn't make sense in a lot of cases. They kept Bast, which makes sense, because Wakanda is down river from Egypt so adapting Egyptian gods works. Yes "we wuz" and shit, but the Nubians also worshiped Egyptian gods.

They changed a bunch of things of said deities though.
Why is ok to mess with Hanumen origins and feats?
The aesthetic of the movie was mostly sub Saharan Africa either way and gods were mentioned by name and not much. Why the fuck invoke Hanuman?

If the number was "One" that's one option that would make more sense than Hanuman.

It's the usual
>it's OUR god and you can't have him!
bullshit.

i think i saw someone write out some no prize about how the history works that some dudes could've carried over Indian gods

You mean Egyptians worshipped nubian gods

they're already claiming samurai culture
since there was one black samurai in the past
so therefore all samurai culture is black only

Because Sub Saharan Africans tended to deify nature more so than animals. Sky, moon, rain, shit like that. There are some gods that have animal forms but it's not there main trait. Like the shit that affected life most was shit that affected migration and crop growth are gods and wierd fucking creator gods. Like some drunk dude is responsible for creating man accidentally because he was drunk, like he fucked up and made mankind, and some other god that had stomach ache or food poisoning and vomited the sun into existence. But that's the overall theme of there gods, not usually animal totems that fit in better with Black Panther mythos.

>we wuz

It's a fucking comic book movie, calm down.

>Like some drunk dude is responsible for creating man accidentally because he was drunk, like he fucked up and made mankind

What was his reaction when he woke up the next morning and rolled over?

Checking it, it seems like the comics gorilla god Looking it up, Ghekre may have existed as an actual deity... in the Ivory Coast region. Doesn't make much sense considering the distance for him to be worshiped in Wakanda, but I guess it'd be better than Hanuman.

Hanuman wasn't afraid of nothing. He made a big jump, smacked around the king of the rakshashas but left enough for his boy to get revenge on.

He is by far and away the most interesting part of the ramayana.

Not if they weren't a gorilla god.

Asshole Monkey Gods best Gods Yes I know Wukong isn't a "God" but he did attain enlightenment, so close enough

Did I sound angry to you? Agreeing with what a culture does is being angry in your opinion?

>Doesn't make sense
>While the nation's chief deity is an Egyptian God and their culture basically apes all of Africa
You're overthinking it.

It DID called my attention when I read a synopsis of the movie, that M'Baku and co. worshipped the Hindu monkey god.

Which makes zero sense: why would a twice-isolationist tribe like that worship another people's god?

Evidently, the filmmakers.

They became isolationist at some point, before that they traded gods like prostitutes (like all good pagans do).

Because Indian gods are the easiest to recycle for western (and Japanese) world building.

Oh so now you people want to be culturally sensitive.

>blacks trying to apropiate india's culture
I say the 25% of the money this movie makes should be used to pay reparations to the people of India.

>in b4 a few decades pass and we learn that the Glorious Indian Civilization™ borrowed all their gods and ideas from other cultures.

Nobody seemed to care when Hanuman was a fucking Tokusatsu hero.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKqMxxwp3t0

>WE WUZ RAJAS N DESIGNATED
It has begun.

>why would a twice-isolationist tribe like that worship another people's god
Because ideally, gods are universal. Bast is an Egyptian Cat goddess sure, but what if the evidence of her existence presented itself to some assholes in the middle of Africa? The logic checks out.

Most cultures have/had a storm god in their pantheons. Doesn't mean they are all called Thor or wielded any hammer. Hell, even amongst all the Germanic tribes "Thor" was called differently depending on the tribe's dialect: Þórr, Ðunor, Donar, Thunaer, etc.

Do you know what Hanuman isn't in Ultraman's universe?
The deity of people from another continent

By the way, one of the most recent Ultraman has ties with ancient Japanese deities and myths.

Finns had Ukko, who they may or may not have borrowed from elsewhere, BUT AT LEAST HE WASN'T CALLED THOR.

It confused the hell out of me. How does an isolationist African country have anything in common with a far eastern country?

maybe because it was made by asians?

Things like that happen in the real world, why not fiction?

The traditional garb they were also resembles Indian garb

becuase they want to get more people interested in the comics/movies so they try to use that as a way to do so. it's why they have Hanuman in the movie and have Nakia using a weapon closely associated with cultures in India.

Actually, it was hand-picked through a variety of African tribes that exist today.

You mean like
>it's OUR word and you can't have it!

Wukong original bamf.

Why the fuck would an isolationist African nation worship a god that originated in another continent?

>you people

Buddy have you heard about America and Jesus

are they following the idea that since humanity began in Africa, so therefore Africans can claim all culture
but those who left Africa can't claim Africa's culture?

America was a series of colonies all found by a variety of Christians you mental Midget that’s completely different.

So the Indians colonized Wakanda and brought with them Hanuman and Hinduism?

I dunno, why did Europeans beat their religious meat super hard to a Jewish guy from the Middle East?

A movie about a fictional black country accidentally being insensitive. I'd say "color me surprised" but I'm not.

Because Christianity became the main religion of the Roman Empire that at one point, conquered most of Europe?

Where's the similarity to "isolationist African nation"?
Hanuman isn't just one deity, he is part of the Hindu religion, which was something completely absent in this movie.

Actually there are Indian settlers in Africa, made up of traders who settled there.

I will repeat. Before being isolationist, We Wuzandaz, like all pagans before them, adopted other gods on a regular basis.
>but how does indian thing get to Africa
FUCKING BOATS MAN. Trading always existed.

And the Romans decide to co-opt a foreign religion as their own despite having their own religious figures and being the dominant power of the region, some of which were already co-opted from other foreign religions, what's your point?

And why would the Gorillas, who are portrayed as super traditionalist and purists, want to worship another nation's gods?

They didn't, Gorilla God just has a lot of names and Hanuman is one of them.

The point is that the Roman Empire didn't lock itself in a socio-cultural bubble for centuries, unlike Wakanda.

>Why the fuck would an isolationist African nation worship a god that originated in another continent?

Aladdin was said to be a chinese tale.

Doesn’t mean it was though. What’s your point?

Because my son, before becoming a purist, your traditions need to form first. Any purist culture was not purist before a certain point.

>Aladdin was a chinese tale.
>Doesn’t mean it was though
???????????????

>Was said to be = it was
I could say the Sky is green, but that wouldn’t make it true. People make bullshit all the time to sell their shit.

China and middle east aren't even that far apart. China even shares a border with Afghanistan.

>character in film worships monkey god named Hanuman
>this is somehow offensive to people who worship monkey god named Hanuman

India is fucking retarded.

Wakanda was isolationist, not ignorant, they were aware of what was going on in the outside world and of other cultures.

"I was only travelling to other lands to inform them I would not be travelling to other lands."

A to-be purist culture eventually goes through a reformation phase where essentially the heads gather and begin culling the elements they deem alien from those they deem their own.

I imagine M'Baku's ancestors did something similar when they retreated to their mountain away from anything, and of all things they didn't discard, it was a Hindu deity out of the Ramanaya, the oldest transcription of which dates to the 11st century?

Spy network, retard.

They don't have to be there in-person to gather information and could simply have foreign contacts, but knowing their hax technology, they probably had a means to mask their movements when necessary.

Better question; why do they speak English?

Hanuman is one of the based gods in existence, right up their with Sun Wukong as most badass god.

GLORY TO HANUMAN!

>it was a Hindu deity out of the Ramanaya, the oldest transcription of which dates to the 11st century?

to give BP the benefit of the doubt if the earliest record/written tales of hanuman man date to the 11th century. It probably existed as an oral tale a century prior at least. Its not too much of a stretch that you would have some traders going into eygpt or other coastal areas of africa. Telling people of hanuman. Though the problem exist that you had some growing empires in the coast of africa where India would most likely trade in.

And Alexander's empire stretch all the way to northern India and ancient Egypt.

>A to-be purist culture eventually goes through a reformation phase where essentially the heads gather and begin culling the elements they deem alien from those they deem their own.

Isn't that what the Jews did after the Romans destroyed their temple and kicked them out of Palestine? They renounced many gentile influences and went for something more Hebrew, like choosing the Masoretic text over the Septuagint for their bible.

Samurai culture has been officially black since Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai came out. In return the Japanese were granted hip-hop rights, this is all in the meeting notes if you want proof.

Fucking street shitters.

Retarded, but too damn proud to admit it.