Why is the first season of king of the hill so drastically different from the rest of the series?

Why is the first season of king of the hill so drastically different from the rest of the series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CoF42UppkI4
youtube.com/watch?v=XJAjR3QgPVs
youtube.com/watch?v=Shn9JYav-Jk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

start
puffin
boe
its because they were starting out from nothing and every first season starts very awkward

Name a cartoon where the first season is consistent with what the rest of the show's like.

the tone is different but they still did some weird plots

>guy gets killed in a pig processing plant
>hank pimps someone
>bobby makes meth
>buck frames hank for murder

>That fucking episode
One of the best ever made; being nobody smokes, all the fucking hill's smoking 24/7.

Because it was the first season. They didn't know what the fuck they were doing yet.

wasn't the guy getting killed in s pig processing plant like season 7?

yeh...they turned Luanne into a barely functioning retard by the end of the show

that's what i'm saying. season 1 they all smoke, kill an endangered bird, and all that stuff, but the show keeps the whacky plots up throughout.
yeah, she and bill get flanderized pretty bad

At least Bill got some redemption

youtube.com/watch?v=CoF42UppkI4

SWING BOBBY SWING

Considering she started out as "brilliant mechanic that nobody notices because she's a girl." And Peggy was the standard "wise housewife who puts up with all her husband's faults," I'd say they took a turn for the better.

Was KotH the first major sitcom of its era to allow its female characters to have faults?

Don't forget he also got a prolapsed anus.

Because an egotistical bitch that is incredibly petty (Peggy) and a dumb-near-retarded Bimbo/redneck who can barely function on her own(Luanne).

Early on Luanne maybe would've been considered white-trailer-park-trash but was gonna rise above being college educated and skilled as a mechanic. A subversion of the ditzy teenaged girl but they went hard-core with that later on.

The only good bits with Peggy was her mother-ish relationship with Luanne but that kind of went down the shitter too.

>Because an egotistical bitch that is incredibly petty (Peggy) and a dumb-near-retarded Bimbo/redneck who can barely function on her own(Luanne).

Refreshing for a sitcom from that era in contrast to the Simpsons where every female character is perfect.

>The only good bits with Peggy was her mother-ish relationship with Luanne but that kind of went down the shitter too.

Go on...

>the Simpsons where every female character is perfect
>Marge, the self-deluding housewife who forces herself to ignore the problems around her to maintain her self image
>Lisa, the annoying know-it-all who often screws over others for her own benefit, including her own family
>Luann, the selfish divorcee who cares more about her latest boyfriend than raising her son
>Edna, the apathetic alcoholic
>Agnus, shrewish old hag constantly screeching about something
Fuck, even Maude was a control freak and uptight moreso than Ned. What are you on?

>Was KotH the first major sitcom of its era to allow its female characters to have faults?
No. Stop drinking the Sup Forums kool aid.

Eh, these people don't watch sitcoms and at best have only seen short clips where the wife gets the upper hand in one scene and take that as signs of how women are portrayed as perfect in everything.

>Marge, the self-deluding housewife who forces herself to ignore the problems around her to maintain her self image
>Lisa, the annoying know-it-all who often screws over others for her own benefit, including her own family

This is like when you are asked in an interview, "What are your weaknesses?" and you're supposed to answer, "I work too hard. I'm obsessed with details. I can't relax until a problem is solved." Yeah. Not REALLY weaknesses.

>Luann, the selfish divorcee who cares more about her latest boyfriend than raising her son

She's not the problem. Milhouse and his father are just huge losers.

>Edna, the apathetic alcoholic

A victim of the system, not her own incompetence.

>Agnus, shrewish old hag constantly screeching about something

Holy shit, you gotta resort to the crazy cat lady?

>Fuck, even Maude was a control freak and uptight moreso than Ned.

Those are quite a big batch of straws you're grasping at there.

American Dad, Bob's Burgers

american dad has changed a lot over time and is pretty comparable to koth's own evolution iirc.
I don't think Bob's Burger's has changed all that much though now that I think about it. I think the animation may have improved but i can't swear on it.

Luanne was that at the start of the show. They just made jokes about her being autistically good at cars early on but her main characterization was still dumb girl, borderline retarded.

american dad shifted a lot in terms of how its characters act and what wacky shenanigan they get into, its way less about stan being conservative like in season 1

Bojack Horseman

user, if you think those flaws of Lisa and Marge are not actual weaknesses then you need to go outside and meet actual people. Everyone has met these two kind of people at least once and everyone points those out as being major flaws.

Luanne is a selfish shithead and she would do things like take money meant for Milhouse so she could get her boyfriend a DVD player.

The drinking is her own fault, yea the system screwed her over but she is the one who decided to crawl into a bottle and never leave it.

How the fuck is this not a flawed person? Does she not count because she is too flawed?

I don't really remember much about Maude but honestly I would hate being around someone who was that wound up about their religion.

...Ha-

...Hank is as gentle as a lamb...

I'd say the last two seasons were more different mainly in regards to how Hank acts. I can't even pinpoint why but there's just something totally different about a part of his personality and the way he talks.

>Was KotH the first major sitcom of its era to allow its female characters to have faults?
I sincerely hope you're just trying to bait and are genuinely not this fucking retarded.

>Bojack Horseman

Nope. Well, maybe the 2nd half. The first few episodes are quite different from how the show developed.

I would say every season of Bojack starts overly goofy then switches to depressing stuff for the second half, they just got better at the goofy stuff. (except for season 3's start)

>GET OUT OF MY HOUSE, MY BOY AIN'T RIGHT, BUT HE'S ALL I GOOOOOT

Bill will never be redeemed

It was funnier in season 1 when Stan was an all-American by-the-books patriotic asshole who put his country in front of literally everything else in his life. Now he's just Peter Griffin with Joe's chin.

>Francine: How's your french toast?
>Stan: Smelly and ungrateful. But this AMERICAN toast is delicious!

I miss lines like that, and when he changed the terror level on the fridge every day.

Rocko

>Holy shit, you gotta resort to the crazy cat lady?
Agnes is Skinner's mom.

I wish this show was still on Netflix.

youtube.com/watch?v=XJAjR3QgPVs
>And ya never will be.

yeah, I don't hate the direction they took but the og characterizations were better imo. I especially don't like the hip hop thing the did with steve and the rest.

>American Dad
So wrong

No he didn't. "Pretty Pretty Dresses" should have been a formative experience in his life but in the following seasons literally nothing has changed about him.

Did you post that just to make people angry?

I'd say what he did to Bobby in that Valentine's Day episode was way worse

No comparison to Homer's stupidity. Look at all other '90s and 2000s family sitcoms. According to Jim, Everybody Loves Raymond, Family Guy, Modern Family, King of Queens.. The guys are all retarded, lazy, often fat. The women are comparably smart, attractive and moral. Look at every commercial, men are too retarded to figure out how to put a toilet paper roll on.

>t. someone who has never watched Everybody Loves Raymond
Debra was by no means any kind of a supermom, she was an awful cook, and insanely petty, and she couldn't clean her house to save her life. Not to mention she is a total psycho, like that time she got a job and only lasted a day because her boss didn't like her idea because it was not what the client was looking for and she started yelling at her.

FUCK THIS EPISODE

It disappointed me how Peggy was kind of badass in season 1 and then turned into a dork
IIRC she actually even could really speak Spanish early on

>Milhouse and his father are just huge losers.

Milhouse is just a insecure kid, who needs solid guidance and Springfield doesnt really have any qualified adults for that.

>makes excuses for all the women's bad behavior
>see, they're perfect!
That's not how it works user.

>her son is a loser, so it's OK that she's abandoned him before he's even a teen
>if bad things happen in life, you are perfectly justified in giving up and sabotaging your own chances
>I don't know who Skinner's mom is
>ok, that lady who's portrayed as being worse than her husband is just grasping at straws
You got BTFO because you don't even watch the shows you come here to complain about. Topkek.

The episode where he stole a tank showed he had a lot of untapped potential, given the right motivation and confidence.

Honestly, Bill comes across as someone who is ultimately comfortable with his station in life. He has 4 good friends who he can hang out and drink beer, a modest career as a army barber. Things could be better for him but they could be a lot worse.

Xavier

He meant non meme shows

Bill is pretty much a poster child for long-term depression. His life is one long string of getting screwed over, with him being complicit in it several times, compounded by an abusive marriage that pretty much destroyed him psychologically. Bill is content with his life because he sees a better existence as being beyond him, it's why he reacts so weirdly to praise, but ultimately he's miserable. He hates his life and himself, but he can live with it.

Raymond is still presented as the dumb one and the butt of most jokes even if Deb is unreasonable sometimes.

She got more exaggeratedly worse over time + delusional about her abilities, but I'm pretty sure she could never actually speak it. Or at best she could communicate in like basic textbook sentences in a no-effort American accent/a completely exaggerated "Spanish" accent.

have you ever known that not to be true of any show?
bob's burgers is still noticeably different in season 1, just not quite as drastically so. It's still weird hearing Linda say "I called Teddy the contractor. He's gonna be over this afternoon"
past season 2 it would just be "I'll go downstairs and ask Teddy for help" or else he would just show up
also Louise's character was way more subdued and intentionally creepy, Tina was utterly unable to perform in front of people, and uh.. well, that's mostly it.

They are both portrayed as having their episodes where they do stupid shit. Debra was the one who decided that they need to move in with their parents across the street. Anything stupid that Ray does was nowhere near as bad as that.

Almost every sitcoms has their balance of each spouse doing stupid shit and the other coming in to save them. The problem is that a lot of people put on blinders and forget the ones where the husband goes out and is the hero and it paints their perception on the whole 'stupid husband' thing which is nothing new by any means.

>American Dad
Couldn't be any more wrong. Show focused more on political humour, and was a bit more grounded (relatively speaking) in its first production season (first 19 episodes). Second production season (episodes 20-43) was transitional with some episodes continuing the season 1 style, and a few others going in the more absurdist direction of later years.

I thought we agreed never to talk about this episode.

youtube.com/watch?v=Shn9JYav-Jk
CLOUDS?

Clone High

Drawn Together

>Now he's just Peter Griffin with Joe's chin.
Not sure I agree here. Stan is more a stubborn and selfish kind of idiot, where as Peter is a literal retard with no concept of safety.

Not true. Season 1 focused more on reality tv tropes, and tended to keep within the house. Season 2 and 3 just did whatever the fuck.

writing aside, it's weird how much more season 3 looks and sounds like season 1 than newer seasons now

meh show really changed after rapture delights

YOU
HAVE
A
MEDICAL
DISORDER