Where the fuck is Grant Morrison???

I honestly believe he is very very close to giving us his masterpiece that would eclipse Alan Moore's Watchman.

Yet i feel he is wasting his potential. Why is the current greatest comic book writer gone missing?

>Why is the current greatest comic book writer gone missing?

What are you talking about? Alan Moore is still in Northampton.

>his masterpiece that would eclipse Alan Moore's Watchman
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the absolute state of Morrisoniggers

Watchmen is not even Moore's best, and Grant should hope he'll ever reach at least that

He's the editor for heavy metal in the UK, he's doing WW E1 V2 and will be doing Arkham Asylum 2 and he'll be co-writing Sideways after a few issues

Flex Mentallo is better than anything Moore's ever written. The Invisibles is better still.

Batman Black and White
Arkham Asylum 2
Wonder Woman Earth One
Multiversity Too
All while being EiC of heavy metal and doing some Klaus every year.

lol Supreme: Story of the Year > Flex

he's at the top of his game RIGHT NOW! you fucks don't even read comics. Start reading Heavy Metal you lazy fuck

These guys get it. Morrison is working on a ton of stuff. Be patient, his majyks are strong.

His influence is boundless.

Writing funny prose intros and two stories for each Heavy Metal mag...

>honestly believe he is very very close to giving us his masterpiece that would eclipse Alan Moore's Watchman.
Oh wow, I pity you. I really do

Y'know what, I'm gonna say it.

I don't care that you can't accept Pax is better than Watchmen.

Just wait for his run on America Chavez

This a hundred fucking times. Flex Mentallo is the most underrated comic series ever written. And that's because plebs can't even start scratching the surface of Morrison's brilliance.

We3 and Kid Eternity also shits all over Moore.

We already know that she can be a good character. Just look at Ultimates

a sassy dimension-hopping minority using Americana imagery born out of a universe created by two lesbian space-gods does sound like a Morrison idea

>5 replies
>2 images
Welp.

>Watchman
A better question ia when is he going to match Moore's songs. Dorothy Parker and me is Moore's best work. Also i would be down with Morrison raping like The Mandrill

This man fucking coaches Real Madrid and while editing Heavy Metal what more do you want?

Kek, I remember that thread

He doesn't look that much like Zidane. It's not a Mike Tomlin/Omar Epps situation.

>this man is 58 years old

What the fuck is his secret?

Lots and lots of pussy. Just like michael douglas

He's currently writting a spellbook for us

Here's a vertical version.

Fpbp

>this is what Morrisonfags honestly and sincerely believe

Can we end the meme that Morrison is anywhere close to Moore’s level of writing?

I know, right? All Alan Moore did was to plagiarize Superfolks, 1984, Twilight Zone and put rape on the mix. Morrison is surely way better than this.

lol Morrisonfags are actually a cult

In terms of what purple prose and dragged out storytelling?
In seriousness though Moore does better longform stuff, generally does better dialogue and is a lot more intricate which sometimes leads to better characters. Morrison does better with traditional cape, punch the badguy in the mouth stuff, which absolutely has its place. Moore will never write something like JLA, he's completely incapable, he came closest in Captain Britain or Top 10 but even there he had to make them super-detailed character studies.
I also don't think Moore is capable of doing something like Animal Man, I think he would find that degree of meta-narrative pompous and stupid.
They're completely different writers and should be judged on their own, rather than being constantly compared.

The only reason they're compared is because people think "lol drugs" for both of them.

>Superfolks

Superfolks is the Pandora's Box no Moorefag wants to open.

No they are compared because they are two of the greatest comic writers, both do incredibly unique stuff and both are self professed magicians.
Moores short stories are even better than his longform stuff

Eh, Moore kind of struggles with 24 pagers imo, but you're right with 40 or 64 he's really fucking good. Regardless I'd never consider even his fantastic shorter works like For the Man who has Everything better than stuff like Swamp Thing or Miracleman though.

Alan Moore is perfectly capable of writing JLA type stories. Don't overlook the stuff he did for Jim Lee's Wildstorm (Wildcats...which was trash, by the way) and Rob Liefeled's Extreme Studios and Awesome Comics (several, among which Supreme which garnered a great deal of acclaim at the time).

I mean his 10 page or less stuff. The stuff he wrote in those anthologies are great

The Big Chill > anything Morrison has ever done

Supreme is so far from a JLA type story it's fucking absurd. I need to read WildCATS but I can never find good downloads. I genuinely think Moore is incapable of writing a story that's just straight up about beating a bad guy and overcoming unbelievable odds. All of his stories involve incredibly introspective characters, and all the challenges they face as heroes are completely related to their personal problems.

But doesn't The Big Chill have at least a passing resemblance to Bradbury's "The Last Question"?

I've only read a bit of that but yes that is great. I don't really think we have an example of a related work for Morrison though.

Doom Force is pretty fucking amazing as a comparison of a short work.

>I genuinely think Moore is incapable of writing a story that's just straight up about beating a bad guy and overcoming unbelievable odds
user how long ago did you read Supreme

Makeup and chaos technomagick

>PÓM: Right, the first thing I wanted to ask you (was about) Superfolks. You know, it one of these kind of – in the same way there’s this ongoing rumour that Jerry Siegel read Gladiator and based Superman on it, there’s this – Grant Morrison was at one stage intimating that you’d read Superfolks and based your entire output on it.
>AM: Well, I have read Superfolks. I know that Grant Morrison, I believe, back when he was trying to make a name for himself by writing nasty things about me, I know he had intimated that. But it was by no means the only influence, or even a major influence upon me output. Were there any specific things? Was it just a general accusation, or were there any specific things?
>PÓM: He did – there was an article in Speakeasy I think back in 1990? Something like that? And I think he’d just read it, and he goes, ‘Oh, that’s this, and that’s that, and you said this,’ and he was kind of picking out pieces that suited his case, shall we say? I mean, when you read Superfolks, what sort of influence would it have had on you, let us say?
>AM: I can’t even remember when I read it. It would probably have been before I wrote Marvelman, and it would have had the same kind of influence upon me as the much earlier – probably a bit early for Grant Morrison to have spotted it – Brian Patten‘s poem, ‘Where Are You Now, Batman?’, which was in the 1960s Penguin Mersey Poets collection [sic, The Mersey Sound], and that, which had an elegiac tone to it, which was talking about these former heroes in straitened circumstances, looking back to better days in the past, that had an influence. I’d still say that Harvey Kurtzman‘s Superduperman probably had the preliminary influence, but I do remember Superfolks and finding some bits of it in that same sort of vein. I also remember reading Joseph Torchia‘s The Kryptonite Kid around that time. I found that quite moving.

Can I get a link?

Supreme is a metatext on the importance of Superman to Superhero comics and science fiction as a whole. Last time I read it was when someone storytimed it here I think either over the summer or around Halloween, that was the second time I read it.

Morrison has some good stuff in Heavy Metal but it doesn't compare to Moore yet.
For the man who has everything is amazing too.
The fucking madman uses a lego block for his magic

Sorry don't have one but it's heavy metal 286.

Happy to hear heavy metal sales are improving

Wow this is a shit poem. Surprised Moore's work turned out so well if this had a huge influence on it.

I love me some Morrison. But I genuinely don't think he has it in him to write anything approaching Moore when Moore flexes his literary muscle. To wit, this poem, which is read normally then goes backwards.

Symmetry becomes it.
Come to ruin our impending feast,
a presence that nourishes suffering.
All things below voice his burning name.
His turmoil offers only truth
in which longer moments live.
Let consciousness recapture
the flicker it saw then.
Torch our continuity of thought now,
until that mind evaporates.
Lust after shadows in us.
Rend that lace of promises broken and white lies.
Regard our love of wreckage;
the way our heads thunder,
approaching that warning pulse and temple
of throbbing light that is
ASMODEUS.

ASMODEUS
is that light throbbing of temple and pulse
warning that approaching thunder heads our way.
The wreckage of love, our regard lies white and broken.
Promises of lace that rend us,
in shadows, after lust evaporates.
Mind that until now thought of continuity, our torch,
then saw it flicker, the recapture:
consciousness let live moments longer,
which in truth only offers turmoil.
His name burning, his voice below things,
all suffering nourishes that presence:
a feast impending, our ruin to come.
It becomes symmetry.

God damn i forgot about that poem. It's brilliant on many levels. But when origionally printed how was it formatted? Cause something like this should be making use of the page and the negative space. Something kinda like how Phyllis Webb formats poems

Moore's poetry is good (I'll include the songs he likes to write in a lot of his comics) but I really don't think that his prose is very good. It's easily one of the worst parts of Miracleman and (I'll get shit for saying this) was a complete chore to read the Under the Hood sections of Watchmen (where it's not a chore to read the Black Freighter).

He already wrote All Star Superman, dude.

Realistically, writing a poem like that isn't as hard as you'd think. Just write the poem, then invert it and fiddle with the form. The nugget of the idea of symmetry obviously put Moore on the path to produce that, but give any decent poet time and they could do the same thing.

It's part of his Moon & Serpent Grand Egyptan Theater of Marvels spoken-word performance. I'm sure I've seen it printed in one of those Avatar Press anthologies of Moore's short stuff (yuggoth cultures, another suburban romance, one of those) but can't recall which one

>Morrison
>missing
OP, do you live under a rock? Dude's working on all kinds of shit and has a bunch of tv projects in the works too.

Taking things out of comics, Moore wrote one of my all-time favourite short-stories, "A Hypothetical Lizard." I've only read one story by Morrison, "The Braille Encyclopedia", and it's actually very good. If Morrison had a collection of horror stories like that he could easily give Clive Barker a run for his Books of Blood money

Moore isn't going to admit he plagiarized Superfolks. Who would have thought?

I guess that the ending of Superfolks being exactly like the end of "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow" is just a coincidence. The fact that most of the major plot points of Miracleman and Watchmen, like heroes who can't ajust to a normal life, a sidekick turned evil, a bussiness man conspiring to kill all heroes, being taken from Superfolks is also pure coincidence. Wow, what a crazy world, huh

>Realistically, writing a poem like that isn't as hard as you'd think
Oh fuck off. Writting poetry is far harder and more time consuming than writing prose. Good poets take months analyzing a single poem and a couple lines can take a couple days.

That said SOMETIMES they can just spill out. My 2nd best poem just wrote itself and I to this day don't fully understand it. But weiting poetry is very intense work

>a bussiness man conspiring to kill all heroes
Well this has been a plot point since the Legion of Doom was created.

>give any decent poet time and they could do the same thing
Take this as you may in regards to your post.

I write poems too, and I'm pretty shit at it. But like I said, a decent poet could do exactly what Moore's done with time and effort.

That user was clearly playing down the time and work that goes into making a poem of that calibre. The idea behind is a lot more than just making it go backwards. They aren't just symmetical in words but ideas too. That is what takes genius and lots of work.

Morrison should go back to Marvel. They'd literally let him do whatever the fuck he wants. Hell I bet he could get them to do a Marvel/DC crossover where MJ and Peter get married and the Avengers and JLA smoke a box of cubans at the reception.

He's going to be writing DCs Spiderman though. Why would he care about writing spiderman? He clearly loves obscure characters.

Now Hank Pym would be a good marvel book for him

He just wants to do movies

I was just giving him an example of things that are banned by Marvel editorial... And come on, you really wouldn't want to see him on the Avengers?

No. I want him doing more DC and continue what he's started with Multiversity

DC should have talked to Morrison about doing one of the Hanna-Barbera books. Jetsons would be cool with him on it.

Other than For the Man Who Has Everything Flex Mantello is better than anything Moore has written, and Flex ain't even Morrison's best book.

He already wrote his original masterwork, it's his Invisibles / Filth / Flex thematic trilogy. I 100% guarantee you he's not going to write any peak original masterwork that supersedes those three. He already put the maximum amount of himself into those stories. He's had plenty of other good stories and will probably continue to have good stories, but none of them will be something he throws himself into deeper than he already did with that thematic trilogy.

lol

Read Tom Strong, user.

This.

He is currently exploring the fifth dimension.

Did you cast some spells? Have you got any results?

Why cant he do both?

what's heavy metal? is it just weird comics? the animated movie was pretty good. i had no idea the magazine was still going though.

the britbong invasion ruined comics

the fact that you faggots think superhero writers are even close to the best in the medium just makes you look like a bunch of fedoras

Moore has written more than just superheroes, though.

>Whats Heavy Metal

Moore, Ellis, Morrison, and Gaiman all write more than just super hero comics. They write songs, poems, novels, plays, and plenty of non-fiction.

Alan Moore fucking hates the industry because he spent a career trying to bring the best parts of the rest of comics to the tired cape shtick only to have it all degenerate into feelgood iconography in film anyway.

>Batman Black and White
Whats this??

I see Morrisonfags are at the end of their rope.

Morrison already wrote his best works, in the 80s, 90s - Animal Man, Flex Mentallo, Invisibles. His last great work was All-Star Superman, and that's it.

He's been just coasting along since.
Final Crisis was SUPPOSED to be that giant magnum opus, but instead it was a half-baked incomprehensible shitfest.

>but instead it was a half-baked incomprehensible shitfest.
Maybe if you're a brain let, what about FC was incomprehensible?

I still think Arkham Asylum is Morrison's best work

Why is he puting Dr.Manhattan's head on his hand?

The colorless variant for Doomsday Clock #1 makes Doc Manhattan look like a sock puppet. We had a hearty laugh about it when an user pointed it out a few months ago, and someone drew that piece because obviously it turned into a hypercrisis thread.

Okay, summarize to me the plot of what exactly happens during Final Crisis. Book itself, without tie-ins.

Surely a seven-issue mini is not that hard to summarize, right?

What are the themes and message of Pax?

And inb4 - "to a higher-dimensional being, our world would look like a comicbook" is not a theme or a message. It's a neat worldbuilding tidbit that helps inform Adam's characterization, but that's it - just like "manipulating time and space is similar to building a watch" is not the primary theme of Watchmen, but just a single snippet of Osterman's character.

>Where the fuck are Mick Jagger and Keith Richards?
>I honestly believe the Stones are about to give us their masterpiece to eclipse the Beatles

Darkseid tries to get anti life equation, but is actually part of an even more massive plot involving a vampiric Monitor who tries to eat all the universes. Thankfully a bunch of Supermans from different universes found a giant robot that looks like Superman to us humans that helps beat this new evil Monitor. It's a pretty simple plot, yeah you won't know the indepths of the Supermans journey if you don't get the stuff also written by Morrison as tie in, and there's a lot of work that happens before FC that gives Darkseid's part of the story more context. But all of that isn't necessary for the main story.

I was only shitposting with the Pax / Watchmen comparison, but as far as themes and messages go, Pax is about self-sacrifice for the greater good. There's a lot of psycho-babble filler and stuff about the futility of existence, but the president's arc is typical Campbellian Hero's Journey stuff, and he's the protagonist. Emotional trauma leads to personal destruction before divine intervention leads to personal fulfillment, but oh no, the protag's dead at the end. It's just a bleaker microcosm of Flex Mentallo's message, really. Obviously one issue can't get anywhere near the level of character analysis that Moore put into Watchmen.

The execution was shit. Final crisis is overrated as fuck.

He's trying to convince Hollywood he's like Millar...only better.

No one returns his calls...

Final Crisis is easily the most divisive event story D.C. has ever done. I wouldn't exactly call overrated a comic that's only liked by those who justify the good of it by the comics that built up to it an it's tie ins.