My name is Wan, and I’m about to take a massive shit on the Avatar lore

>my name is Wan, and I’m about to take a massive shit on the Avatar lore

What did he mean by this?

It means you didn't watch the fucking show.
>People got their bending from the lionturtles
>People learned from the original benders
>the original benders being the animals that bent the elements without lionturtle help
>we see Wan learning from the dragon
>the original firebender

This has been discussed before.

Bending just didn't need an explanation like this, especially since it makes the world of Avatar less interesting through explaining it. It's more interesting to have the different people learn bending through the different ways they observe their environment and have different connections to it, which then gets changed to "they had bending handed out to them but then also needed to learn bending from other things", I mean, animals in the Avatar universe seem capable of bending, like air bison, so I guess they were given bending by lion turtles before humans, right?

Also reducing the Avatar down to a retarded duality between good and evil, with the Avatar state being a videogame powerup really should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Except that people didn’t learn from the animals like the original lore detailed
>people are instantly skilled in bending thanks to the lion turtles and don’t need to learn from the animals

Sure, Wan danced with a dragon, but he didn’t learn from any other animals when mastering the elements, and neither did the other humans. Only Wan learned the movements of a dragon, no one else did.

Also, the concept of the Avatar being desecrated into a human bonded with a magic carpet was pretty shit. Instead of the Avatar being a incarnate of Earth and it’s elements like originally attended, we now have some poorly whipped up plot based on the trite good vs evil.

The Beginnings episode wasn’t needed. It added a complex, unnecessary background to a decent lore that didn’t need it.

Or animals like dragons could bend and humans couldn't naturally do it.

They learned forms from animals. This isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

>Inspired by Asian mythology and martial arts
>not expecting yin and yang to play a part in the spiritual aspect

shiggy

Diff user but Vaatu is generic evil bad guy and Raava is gneric good guy. Disregarding the fact that they got the yin and yang wrong (Yin is feminine and dark, yang is masculine and light) the concept was already done better in the koi fish. Also also it makes no fucking sense! Why does Vaatu get endless fucking powerups while Raava gets weak as fuck? Its almost like everything is contrived.

Also, neither are evil.

>but he didn’t learn from any other animals when mastering the elements
It's implied. Just like how Aang and Zuko did
Or Toph
Or how Princess Yue claimed their entire tribe learned from the Moon
Or Oma and Shu
Even Tenzin reclaims the fact that the Air Bison are the original airbenders

Just because everything isn't shown on screeen, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Right after Wan was learning from the Dragon, the other firebenders said he was using it as an extention of himself.

I feel like Wan's story would have been better if it was made without Rava and Vaatu. I just feel like Brike was too creatively bankrupt to actually write a satisfying origin for the avatar.
Without the writing team from TLA cleaning up the stupid shit, they couldn't do anything satisfying with the show or its major plotlines.

>Turns spirits into angry demon monsters
>Would wipe out humanity
>The literal embodiment of darkness and Chaos
>Not evil

Precisely what about the koi fish represented ying and yang beyond their color, you mong?

>You've already met them. Tui and La, the moon and ocean, have always circled each other in an eternal dance. They balance each other. Push and Pull. Life and Death. Good and Evil. Yin and Yang.

>in before e;r

I meant that neither yin or yang are meant to be evil. Not that one of he OC spirits from the show are. That's why it fails as a yin and yang analogy.

Two counterpart spirits that oppose each other and bring balance as a result. Dingus

>Considering Korra canon

Nice fanfiction faggot.
Legend of Korra is a bit like TFA and TLJ, it's so dumb and poorly written it sounds like amateur fictions.

>Media consumers are the gate keepers to something they take no part in creating.

Yo anons, just finished Season 1 of Korra and was slightly disappointed in the ending reveal. I wanted to share my theory on Amon's identity here to see if other people thought of it or liked it. It's an oddball one, but I thought it fit well:

I thought Amon would end up being Aang for quite a while. "But Aang had to be dead for Korra to be born!", you say. Well, I assumed it fit because we didn't really see Aang die, just heard it happened at some point. The timeline I thought would be cool would have been: Aang, after using bending-removal to solve the war in the first series, eventually realizes bending as a whole is dangerous and it's removal solves many problems. He removes his own bending to purify himself, and the avatar cycle continues with Korra following "there must always be an avatar" rule. Aang spends Korra's childhood building his equalist empire, donning a mask because obviously people would recognize the guy that had a massive statue of himself and also was the fucking avatar.

That's much worse.

It's worse than a literally who? It fits the series pretty tightly. Aang was canonically the only one to take away another person's bending, he canonically used bending removal to solve his biggest problem in the past. He had a good reason to wear a mask, unlike the actual Amon who mostly just wore it for the lulz. He had enough evidence supporting his reasonable motives and capabilities while still being extremely hard to guess due to his previous hero status and supposed death. It would have been a good twist ending, especially because literally anyone watching the show would know of Aang so it wouldn't be out of nowhere due to the evidence which would have seemed obvious in retrospect.

It falls apart somewhere around episode 9 or 10 when we actually get to see more of older Aang, but until that point it actually fit really well, unlike the actual literal who.

Anyone who liked this tripe and the massive shit it took on the lore is dead to me
Lion turtles were a damn mistake

nah, Aang being alive is fucking stupid.

I actually liked the idea, especially since being a combination of human and spirit seems pretty cool. I just wish they were handled better.

I actually like the lore of LOK more than TLA. I just feel like Korra's lore was executed worse, while TLA's mostly landed.

The most punchable face in fiction.

Honestly, I would have hated that. It makes Aang sound out of character; he just abandons his family, acts in an obviously evil way, imposes his will on others through force, and harms innocent people. All to remove something that was used for evil a few times, but was otherwise neutral or even helpful. (Bending helped save the world from the Fire Lord.)

That'd be a huge shit on Aang's character and legacy.

It means that you are a brainlet that can't understand what is outright shown onscreen.

Spotted the only TLJ fan on Sup Forums

Beginnings would be perfect sans Rava and Vaatu. It brings the perfect level of myth to the origin of the Avatar, which makes sense. You wouldn’t call the Promethius myth overexplaining humanity’s background, would you? It’s just that making a “good spirit” and an “evil spirit” is so profoundly tone deaf it’s downright offensive.

Eh, at least the ATLA cast didn't all die as huge failures that accomplished nothing and the plot of LoK isn't the Fire Nation coming back stronger than ever and Korra having to learn all the elements before an even bigger comet arrives.

The lore was all implied, so you could imagine it being cool as you want.

>yin and yang
>generic I AM SOOOOO EVIIILLLL and I AM PURE AND GOOD AND WILL STOP THIS EVIL

>Oddball
Fucking newniggers

>IT BREAKS THE LORE
>Wait, no it doesn't
>Well, it pisses me off anyway

user, those were still the two best episodes of series two, they're canon as everything else.

>wait no it doesn't
No he's right it still does, as he says about the avatar stuff being turned into a retarded MUH GOOD MUH EVIL MUH BALANCE, as well as the animals being able to bend.

>avatar stuff being turned into a retarded MUH GOOD MUH EVIL MUH BALANCE
That's what the Avatar has always been about in everything we've seen in ATLA.

Kyoshi's main accomplisment was stopping Earth Napoleon by accident, Roku stopped Fire Hitler I while he was alive and Aang's main objective was to master his magic powers so he could punch Fire Hitler III and achieve world peace.

It's shallow to equate good vs. evil to dark vs. light. It's an injustice to paint anything entirely right or wrong. I thought Bryke knew this from the first series.

But those were people with ideas, not abstract concepts of evil & chaos.

Darkness doesn't just infect people. By far most people who commit evil believe they are doing what is good & right.

I can stomach Wan and the people living on lion turtles was kind of cool, but I ignore the giant tapeworms entirely. that shit doesn't exist to me.

No, Aang never had to deal with a literal embodiment of evil being part of his being and spirit as the Avatar.

>you guys are so stupid to prefer a simple, un-elaborated answer over a convoluted, word-splitting jigsawfuck of lore calculus

You mean like it already fucking did properly with Tui and La?

>Bending came from two different sources.
>One source is mentioned through the first series.
>Second source is mentioned in the last episode.

We aren't mad at you, just mad at the writers.

Eh, I'm definitely mad at the Korra Apologists, their existence very existence lowers the bar for good animated television, sequels to cherished works and LGBT related media.

Vaatu and Raava took what was initially a morally ambiguous "what is the right thing to do" question of abstract balance[Kyoshi only stopped an Earth conqueror, Roku advised against the Fire Nation's expansion, Kuruk dealt with a spiritual kidnapping as the spiritual medium] divied out by the human incarnation of balance, both elemental and physical/spiritual, into a literal 10000-year cycle of literal evil incarnate versus literal good incarnate's medium. It kind of removes a lot of a nuance of the world-made-human (i.e. an AVATAR) trying to find the right path as just a reincarnation meant to ultimately fight Actually Satan. AtLA did very well at portraying multiple sides to each nation. We had Zuko, Iroh and Jeong Jeong as good firebenders, the Dai Li and other Earth warriors as self-interested and obstinate, and showed the Water Tribes as stiffly traditional even to detriment.

Maybe that's why people are against it, it's an unnecessary addition that strips a lot of complexity from what was necessarily difficult (morality) and added complexity to what was effective when vague (mysticism). By switching the difficulties you end up with what makes some very shitty fantasy (see: Mistborn).

how do you guys feel about TLoK being the first Animated Drama?

The show has a lot more in common with Buddhism than ancient Chinese philosophy.

>>People got their bending from the lionturtles
ATLA never said this, it said they bent energy within themselves
Korra retconned that
>we see Wan learning from the dragon
Wan already knew how to firebend before that, and did it multiple times before.

Stop derailing this thread with nonsense that has been disproven before.
We already had a yin and yang, and vaatu and raava, if they were supposed to represent yin and yang, are an incredibly inaccurate and outright contradictory depiction of it.

But they weren't supposed to be Yin and Yang in the first place. Keep your headcanons to yourself

Bryke just had a cool idea "these guys have magic power of elements and they have to stop this bad guy from killing everyone else in a few months" from there the writing crew and nick execs are wholly responsible for making it good.

Rugrats All Grown Up

It also moves the Avatar Lore out of Eastern philosophy and it makes it Abrahamic/Western, abandoning balance and replacing it with good vs evil.

>ATLA never said this, it said they bent energy within themselves
Said energybending was used to take away the ability to manipulate elements.

>Wan already knew how to firebend before that, and did it multiple times before.
Did you even watch what was said in the scene? Before that all people did was shoot fire randomly while the dragon taught Wan how to use fire as an extension of himself.

Maybe you should read what I wrote a little closer, I didn't say it broke the lore, just that it made it dumber retroactively by ruining what should have been left as mysteries.

It's still dumb and adds nothing interesting to the Avatar universe while diminishing the theme of examining the relationship between humans and their environments.

>It also moves the Avatar Lore out of Eastern philosophy and it makes it Abrahamic/Western
I don't think this is inherently bad (or good), but it just depends on the execution and it was garbage in LoK.

I don't know of an example where equating light vs. dark to good vs. evil was actually well done.

This is nothing compared to Bryke taking a massive steaming shit on their own genocide narrative by bringing back the airbenders with magic pulled out of their asses. Way to spit on ATLA's entire thing.