What went wrong?

What went wrong?
What went right?

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/meltzer-opens-his-house-of-secrets-reflects-on-identity-crisis-in-dc-comics-rebirth-era/
itsjustsomerandomgeek.wordpress.com/tag/red-skull-throws-baby-out-of-a-window/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's like Watchmen without the subtlety and it's gritty for the sake grittiness.

>what went wrong
Almost everything
>what went right
It set up some solid plot threads for 52

That they created a comic purely based around the fact that they could cram the word crisis into the title.

It's still the one DC event that gets me irrationally mad. I can laugh at other dumb or badly-made comics, but this one still angers me even after all these years. So much of DC's edginess and grimderp can be directly traced to this piece of shit.

This got me into comics but it was still trash. It set up some stuff for 52 though so that's cool.
Even if it's edgy and grimdark, Meltzer also did a better job than most authors that decide to do comics out of nowhere.

The idea that heroes have these networks to organize around tragedy and internal investigation without a central organization is really neat.

Destroying the Dibneys was not.

The biggest problem is that it wasn't an Elseworlds. If it was just a mediocre try-hard story that didn't affect anything else then no one would hate it much.

I read this without knowing anything about DC and it made me think that Deathstroke was a fucking legend. Cue reading a Deathsroke comic and he is a jobber.

Who the fuck cares about elongated man?

Everything went wrong. It was a stupid idea that the Silver Age needed to be "modernized" with brutality and mistrust. The story itself was also retarded.

I love most of the characters ruined in the build-up to Infinite Crisis. If I was reading comics during that period, I would have tried to torch DC's offices.

every legendary badass with genetically enhanced intelligence and super strength is ultimately a jobber to the barely trained hard working hero who is only ever saved by dumb fucking luck

LIGHTED

truly amazing

The best part of that story is that it ended with
>And they all lived Bwa-hahappily ever after!
and mere months later Max was retconned to be evil and shot BB to death

don't forget the sexy way he incinerated his corpse

the objectification was real

Gotta love Geoff Johns.

You are now aware that he was staying with Meltzer when he was writing Identity Crisis, and basically co-wrote the book uncredited.

I do. A lot. No where close to sorry.

What I can't understand is why DC won't let Ted Kord come back after FP. To give Booster Gold something to be depressed about, which that happy, fun character really needs? Because Jaime Reyes is also called Blue Beetle and the characters are so fucking similar?

The execution is a mess, but the core concept is pretty refreshing. Instead of some grand crisis involving alien invasions or time distortion, it's a more down-to-earth story about the heroes and their private lives.

The explanation for how the murder was carried out makes no sense. But it was kind of neat that the villain is really just a mostly normal person who was in over her head and had access to Justice League tech.

I honestly would like to see them take another shot at something like Identity Crisis. Just with a better thought-out mystery, and none of that Deathstroke wanking.

I'll take alien invasions and time distortion over the literal rape and murder of a beloved supporting character any day

I know that nobody is reading the current Blue Beetle run but come on, Ted is alive in Rebirth they have even shown him in that book where Wally returns) and is mentoring Jaime.
Tomorrow the last issue publishes and from the solicit I feel like they might kill him off again, especially since Tom King hinted he'll be doing something with Booster and therapies for sad heroes.

>THE RAPE PAGES ARE IN!

Booster Gold doesn't need a dead Ted to be sad, he has a lot to be sad about.

>but the core concept is pretty refreshing
No it's not, it's actually incredibly commonplace.
>it was kind of neat that the villain is really just a mostly normal person who was in over her head and had access to Justice League tech.
No it's not because she has no motivation for her actions.

Oh shut the fuck up user, there's literally nothing to suggest that.

You mean besides this interview?

cbr.com/meltzer-opens-his-house-of-secrets-reflects-on-identity-crisis-in-dc-comics-rebirth-era/

I didn't like that it was originally marketed as a whodunit. "It's a murder mystery written by an actual mystery novel author!"

So you scoured the first issue looking for hidden clues, like what was the deal with the crate of Luthor armor?

And in the end, it wasn't that. You could not have guessed the murderer. There were no clues, there was nothing.

Oh, except the old trope of the murderer accidentally revealing their crime through a slip of the tongue

Where does it say that user? Where does it fucking say that Geoff Johns helped Meltzer wrote identity crisis. Because all I see is Meltzer saying Johns crashed at his house.

What, do you mean that a woman who literally dumped her ex and married another years ago and now wants to be together again with the ex but never tells or even hints it to him, instead just launches an elaborate intrigue to scare him back into her arms that goes horribly wrong, kills three people and scars a ton more HAD NO REALISTIC MOTIVATION?!

Real talk now, IC soured me on other versions of Jean, like the nice lady she was in Alex Ross' Justice.

My first DC event when I was teen are this and infinite crisis, plenty of characters deaths, omac need to return.

What's funny is that she could've just staged a supervillain attack on herself. It would have been the most direct way of scaring Ray back into her arms and that's not even going in on how Ray was clearly looking to reconcile.

>The whole core of that book comes from the love and the real true feelings that these characters have for each other.
Uhmm...

I feel it gets a bad rep. It was grimderp at times and the ending was an asspull, but it was an entertaining mystery story with some ambitious morality questions.

I have mixed feeling about Jean. On one hand I hate this abrupt turn for her that makes absolutely no sense but on the other hand I think her becoming Eclipso is pretty neat. Now she actually sucked as Eclipso and that's because Eclipso sucks but I think an ex-wife becoming a cosmic tier villain is neat and I always pictured her using her lawyering skills in conjecture with Eclipo's powers would be novel.
Like setting up a magical court or something.

I'm sorry, this... *THIS* is the plot to Identity Crisis? I thought is was all about a conflict over brain wiping, not... whatever the fuck this is.

I'm honestly a bit shocked at the moment.

The brain wiping is just a red herring. The whole Doctor Light is secretly a rapist and the justice league give a psychic lobotomy has absolutely nothing to do with the murder and only serves to victimize sue even further.

Hey look. The correct answer.

Oh yes, magically mindraping people is wrong, what an important morality lesson, I'll be sure to never do that to anyone
I't's kinda neat that there was this huge shitfit about "fridging" being objectifying to women, but I don't remember anyone doing feminist studies of how the story of Sue's murder and rape make her a prop in this story.
Maybe because "suing" is already taken?

>suing
Oh shit that is a way better term.

Identity crisis also just shits the bed in general when it comes to writing women in general.
>Sue might as well be a faceless victim
>Jean Loring is literally man-crazy
>Black canary is taken out the big fight by a burlap bag
>Zatanna suffer a major character derailment

Did Dr. Light rape sue anally or vaginally?

Is Identity Crisis canon to Rebirth?

The only good thing to come out of Identity Crisis was the Jean Loring version of Eclipso and her giant fucking tits.

She did that exact thing in the story, after she kills Sue.

I'm pretty sure it was an actual gimp mask on Canary. Also Zatanna got taken out by punch to the gut.

Batman didn’t say shit when J’onz telepathically mindwiped the White Martians in Grant Morrison’s JLA book.

Something about the art just made the violence against women all the more worse.

Setting aside the rocking tits, it's a pretty great design. Much better than classic Eclipso. The DC Superhero Girls version is probably the best one.

Batman doesn't say shit whenever he gives random criminals brain damage from beating their skulls in

It all falls apart once you start thinking about it too closely. Several of the incidents they mentioned would have required them to mindwipe Batman constantly if he were generally opposed to them.

The pointless, edgy grimness is Johns to a T.

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

They are very nice tits.

Wasn’t it implied in this book that villians had switched bodies with the JLA in the past, and they’d used mindwipes before? Before Batman walked in on the spell, what was his reasoning for Penguin not knowing his secret identity if they’d switched bodies in the past?

Are you going to argue that the guy who thought the only way to show Superboy Prime was powerful was by having him kill a bunch of Teen Titans in a gory manner, having Black Adam shove a mask through someone's face or having Ultraman snort kryptonite like cocaine or made Mirror Master an actual cokehead doesn't fill his stories with pointless edgy bullshit?

I know it's hip to blame Johns for everything and Sup Forums doesn't actually read comics, but the characterization doesn't match Johns' characterization of those characters and the plot reads like something out of Meltzer's prose. About the only thing that Geoff would have added is the Tim Drake stuff, since it would directly set up plot points in both Flash and Teen Titans.

don't try to use Johns as a scapegoat Meltzer.

I would argue that Johns didn't write identity crisis and that blaming it on him makes no sense.

I love that people blame Meltzer because yeah, he wrote it, and Johns because muh cospiracy, but the actual editor that called Meltzer and said hey let's kill Sue Dibny, Dan Didio, never gets any shit.
Being an editor is a very nice job, even if you have retarded ideas or demands, nobody blames you.

Didio got a lot of shit for years. Only recently did Sup Forums do a 180 on him, and probably because the site is full of newfags nowadays.

The weird thing is that despite being one of their more popular writers Johns has arguably never had that much editorial control. Even in his current position he's at best fourth in command and realistically has less control over the individual stories than the line editors. Grant Morrison had more influence and control in post-IC DC Comics than Johns ever has.

One thing that should be noticed, is that after all of this happened Zatanna was known as Miss Mindwipe in the villain community, which I think it's kinda neat in an odd-sorta way

Is it true the Atom was supposed to be the killer and DC pussied out at the last minute?

>muh rape
we spotted the SJW

it was a really good book, most of the out-cry was based on the rape thing.

Besids that it has really emotional moments like what they did with Tim Drake and his father and Captain Boomerang, that moment was amazing.

>Batman didn’t say shit when J’onz telepathically mindwiped the White Martians in Grant Morrison’s JLA book.

Different books and writters, take every story as its own thing.

It was Batman

>implying it wasn't Supes
The "people see what they want to see" is an obvious carryover from the time big blue was going to go full serial killer.

fpbp

I think people assume that thanks to the end of the penultimate book. Atom is getting in bed with Jean and has this look on his face that screams "They'll never figure it out, I fucking won"

Comicbooks were edgy as fuck back in the day.

and now they are the pinnacle of political correctness, which is kinda hypocrite imho (remember that panel where the Ultimate Red Skull killed a baby just for the edge factor?)

itsjustsomerandomgeek.wordpress.com/tag/red-skull-throws-baby-out-of-a-window/

Anyone who read JLI/Superbuddies, who Identity Crises seemed dead set on antagonising.

I want to say no, but recent 'character in the timestream' shots have included it for whatever fucking reason.

You dont have to be SJW to recognise cheap ''so shocking!'' moments for what they are. She could easily have just been murdered but they felt the need to add rape to make it even edgier and grittier.

Was that during Millar's edgiest phase?

>JLI/Superbuddies
And then Max Lord and Ted Kord were killed a few months later to build up to Infinite Crisis. What the fuck did Didio have against those comics?

Brad Meltzer and his hard on for conspiracy theories.

Trying to make DC edgy( to compete with the politically charged).

Trying to compete with Avengers: Disassembled.

>terrible mystery
>terrible art
>terrible characterization
>half the plot was pointless shock value

>Trying to make DC edgy
And the funny thing is that DC had better written books that already did that.

Which ones would you consider edgy?

Chase was edgy
Starman
The Sandman
Good edgy.

She could've just asked Ray if he wanted to get back together with her because he never got over her and would've gladly gone back to her at any point.

this book is so bad that Flash and Captain Boomerang getting jobbed out never makes the list of things wrong with this book.

>tfw I recognize what comic that's from

Goddam, that was such a great issue.

Everyone hated JLI era by then because JLI was not as serious and mature as JLA of that time.
Granted, between JLI and JLA there were a few years of previous JLA and its spin-offs that really were worth shitting on (personally I liked Extreme Justice, but, boy, it was so very 90s concentrated), so those probably cooled off the love for JLI

L.E.G.I.O.N. was pretty edgy when it was still around. The Threeboot Legion (and large parts of Five Years Later) was edgy and mostly bad but not as bad as IC.

What issue?

Instead of telling you, how about I just show you?

You're good people user

goddamn she got some big ole tiddies

Everyone deserves more of this series in their lives.