Bane as a Green Lantern

What would happen if Bane was given a Green Lantern ring?

He’s got tremendous willpower and the ability to resist fear. He’s be quite capable of using the ring.

What would it do for his personality though?

I think that having a ring would grant him the one thing he’s never had in his life: freedom.

He was born into a prison. After a very brief stint ruling Gotham, he was a prisoner of Blackgate. He was shipped off to some planet in Salvation Run. In Secret Six, he learned that Hell is waiting for him. In Rebirth continuity, he’s still addicted to Venom -he can’t even have freedom over his own body.

Most of his life he’s been a prisoner of one place or another. His only way of having power is being the most feared -and therefore most hated, guy in the room at all times. He’s never been loved or appreciated. He kills and maims because that’s all he knows, he had to do it his whole life just to survive. That’s quite tragic when you think about it.

With a GL ring, there’s no need to be hated or feared. You’ve been given one of the most powerful weapons in the universe. You don’t NEED to intimidate anyone, conjuring a Godzilla construct from your finger shows everyone you’re a badass.

The ring offers you the freedom to come and go anywhere on the planet -or the universe as you please. Nobody on earth can imprison you or experiment on you or torture you.

The citizens of Earth look up to the Green Lanterns as heroes. How would Bane feel with people cheering and applauding him after he’s saved a city from an alien invasion?

Do you think Bane could resist the urge to go after Batman and take his GL duties seriously?

Do you think the freedom and power a ring would offer Bane could also lead him on a path to redemption?

Basically Sinestro, but even worse. He'd see the universe and his limitations by the Guardians as a challenge. He'd want to conquer virtually everything just to show to himself that he could.

That's the thing about Bane: His evil always extends to whatever he feel he needs to prove to himself, even kicking the habit of Venom just because it seemed impossible.

How would the venom addiction work with the ring? Do mind altering substances impair the power of the ring? Could the ring even help him get past the withdrawals and give up venom for good?

You don’t think the idea of redemption would even cross Bane’s mind? What if someone like Superman came along and told him that he’s been given this great power and it’s a chance for him to prove he can be more than what his childhood made him into?

You don’t think he could become friends with Kilawog?

I can see him having trouble with the Guardians though. He’s never dealt well with authority, and they can be frustrating for even the most good natured Lanterns to deal with. What do you think he would resent the Guardians for the most? Do you think he’d turn against them just for the challenge of it?

>How would the venom addiction work with the ring? Do mind altering substances impair the power of the ring? Could the ring even help him get past the withdrawals and give up venom for good?
He already kicked the habit.

>You don’t think the idea of redemption would even cross Bane’s mind? What if someone like Superman came along and told him that he’s been given this great power and it’s a chance for him to prove he can be more than what his childhood made him into?
Bane's concept of justice is survival. If you can't take something, then it shouldn't be yours. He feels that serving or pledging allegiance to him is simply being smart, because he'll run over anyone otherwise.

>You don’t think he could become friends with Kilawog?
Mutual respect? Maybe. Not friends.

>I can see him having trouble with the Guardians though. He’s never dealt well with authority, and they can be frustrating for even the most good natured Lanterns to deal with. What do you think he would resent the Guardians for the most? Do you think he’d turn against them just for the challenge of it?
He challenged Ra's Al Ghul simply because he attempted to exert control over Bane. Bane never lets anyone hold true control over him.

How would he go with a Sinestro Corps ring?

I think with a yellow ring, his first action would be to kill off the Bat-Family, and permanently cripple Bruce, leaving him in a state where suicide would be tempting.

Then he’d probably want to locate and kill Ras. Probably kill the Joker too, just because.

He’d probably want to leave Earth before he got the full attention of the Justice League though.

I can imagine him having some respect for Sinestro strangely enough. What would Sinestro make of Bane though?

I’m not sure if he’d go after Bruce immediately if he got a green ring though... thoughts?

This, he would just be Sinestro 2.0. In fact it could be worse because Bane is much more ruthless and evil than Sinestro was before getting his own Corps. Though if they just made Bane a mad dog who was a GL assassin killing YLC members that could hold him off for a while. Despite all of his malice and evil Bane doesn't like seeing innocents harmed.

>Bane's concept of justice is survival. If you can't take something, then it shouldn't be yours
This isn't strictly true, he has a soft spot for women and children.

Because he sees them as unfair advantages. But once that boy grows up, he's fair game.

>he already kicked the habit

Not in Rebirth continuity, sadly. From what I remember, he wanted to quit but couldn’t, so he cut a deal with Hugo Strange for custody of the Psycho Pirate. He used the Pirate to alter his own mind so that he felt at peace and didn’t need venom anymore.

When Batman came and took the Pirate away from him, the first thing he did was scream for more venom. He was using it again during his next confrontation with Batman. For what little it’s worth, he’s using it in the TMNT crossover and in Injustice. I can’t remember if he’s using it in Bane Conquest or not, but he was most definetly using it the last time he showed up in a Batman book.

>Bane never lets anyone hold true control over him
He is capable of working for others if it benefits him though. In Arkham Origins he agreed to a contract from Black Mask to kill Batman. In No Man’s Land he briefly worked for Lex Luthor as bodyguard. In Salvation Run he was part of the camp that had Lex Luthor as leader. In Infinite Crisis he was part of the Society that was working for Alex Luthor posing as Lex (he seems to work with Lex quite a bit actually). He’s been bodyguard for Penguin before. In Injustice he was working for Superman.

Bane's first action would probably be to do something extremely ambitious and destructive on a galactic scale. Something that would make his mark on the universe, and essentially provide him with a reputation.

I think going after Batman and Gotham would be next. I'd imagine him simply torturing Bats, and wiping out most of Gotham and making sure they see him do it.

I think Sinestro's view of Bane would mirror Ra's Al Ghul's: He'd think of Bane as a simple brute, underestimate him, then get caught off guard at how clever he is.

He wanted Psycho-Pirate to take away his insecurities and make him feel at peace, not to kick venom.

Benefit =/= Control

I always found this page kind of ironic considering his first big power play in Gotham was to kidnap the Mayor’s children.

Not to mention, quite recently he hung all the Robins in the Batcave. Damian is what, ten? Bane hung him, it was nothing short of a miracle that Bruce walked into the room before all three Robins were dead. Bane promised that he’d do it again, but next time pull on their feet so their necks broke.

The way Bane treats children had been pretty inconsistent.

L from Death Note can literally ELIMINIATE ENEMIES using his will power, kiddo, no bane is no shit

GIVE A GREEN LATERN RING FOR L. NOW WE"LL SEE

What would happen if you rip the ring off his finger?

Venom Bane is different from sober Bane, sober Bane is a lot more fair and righteous than Venom Bane who is a completely ruthless mastermind. However Sober Bane has a righteous indignation that can make him more dangerous in certain situations. Even sober Bane would have no qualms with killing a child that was trying to murder him though, I think he'd even kill someone like Stargirl if it came down to it.

L would get kicked out of the GLC for using his Death Note on anyone besides Yellow Lanterns though. I doubt a Shinigami can insta-kill a guardian, plus there's an entire occult division of the GLC that could probably handle him.

He was using venom in the New 52.

When Batman first appeared at Santa Prisca, Bane mentioned that he was now off the venom and could no longer break Bruce over his knee. He was talking about this like it was a new development.

Bane demanded venom literally the moment the Pirate was gone. He showed up in Gotham using it again.

I’m pretty sure the Pirate was tied directly to Bane being able to get himself off venom.

He was using it prior to the Pirate, stopped only when he was with the Pirate and started using again the moment the Pirate was gone. Then it became Bane’s number one priority to get the Pirate back. If the Pirate was just dealing with fear and insecurities, I don’t think Bane’s need for him would have been so immediate.

Wait it was light/Kira not L who did the killing!

>Victor von Doom of Earth.
>you are a man with out fear
>welcome to the green lantern corps

Superman was certainly in control of him in Injustice.

Acting as bodyguard for Lex or Penguin implies a certain degree of subordination and willingness to place their safety above his own.

In the Dark Knight Rises movie he worked for Talia, and in Batman and Robin he worked for Freeze and Ivy.

One thing I’ve noticed about Bane is that even when he strikes at Bruce on a personal level, he never goes after Alfred. In Knightfall, he left him knocked out but alive. In Arkham Origins, Alfred got injured, but I don’t think that was out of malice, I think it was collateral damage when Bane attacked the cave. I remember some comic where Bane and Alfred team up to escape a sewer or something? For all his hatred of Batman, Bane seems fine with Alfred. Maybe he respects the elderly?

Hell Secret Six is about him being on a mercenary squad.

>Chances of defeating the league from the outside
Low
>Betraying the league if needs be while living at the top of society
Not too bad
Smart choice for a guy with a genius level intellect. If the league was run by anyone but Superman Lex would surely be one of its most high ranking members (trying to take over of course)

I think the most asshole thing Bane has done is murder that old blind priest who helped teach him as a child. That guy was old, blind and righteous, and was probably the only person who ever treated Bane with decency. And Bane threw him from a tower just so that nobody would know he’s visited the temple as an adult.

Nigga he has loads of fear of being seen as inferior. He'd unravel himself with his own insecurities manifest through the ring.

I think by League you mean the Regime. Lex was a mole. Bane probably ranked at the bottom, below Sinestro even. But you’re right, it was a choice of serving the Regime (even at the bottom of the chain of command), or being put back in jail. Being on the Regime would be a high position in society, and offers the chance to hunt down and kill Batman.

My headcanon for Regime authority rankings is Superman>Wonder Woman>Lex>Damian>Cyborg>Hal>Flash>Hawkgirl>Raven>Aquaman>John Stewart>Black Adam>Sinestro>Bane>Ares>Killer Frost>Catwoman.

Forgot Grundy as Doomsday, but they’d rank below Catwoman respectively.

What I’m wondering is what type of Green Lantern uniform Bane would have. I think it would look awesome. Mask style would stay the same, but green. Maybe his top would have buttons similar to Guy’s? A trench coat like he had in the DKR movie? A Green Lantern’s uniform doesn’t need to be functional, it can be flashy looking and awesome.

I think GL Bane would keep Santa Prisca safe as fuck and would be on top of the world.

Would Yellow Lantern Bane reccomend Scarecrow for membership?

I think Bane could suit a red ring too.

What constructs do you think Bane would use?

Injustice is literally non-canon.

Luthor I would say is a little different, in that I think that Bane acknowledges that Luthor's experience, intellect, and ruthlessness are something to get behind.

At the same time, a lot of "many villains" stories tend to write Bane out of character, and make him just a big meathead.

As a GL, a lot of his constructs would be prison themed -cages, chains, dropped bars of soap etc.

I think he’d use the ring to augment his own strength and fight hand-to-hand a lot.

He’d also often use a giant construct of his teddy Osito.

As a yellow lantern, he’d often use a construct of that bat-monster that haunted him as a child. He’d summon swarms of rats, crabs and bats. Maybe big skeleton hands to break backs.

I still want to see a GL that can make constructs but they always malfunction.. that would be funny

hed break every last guardians spine

Would he leave any survivors?