Hey! Who wants to revisit Carol Danvers' origin story but this time from Stohl's perspective?

Well, too bad... You're getting it away...

FRESH START!

abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/captain-marvel-author-margaret-stohl-origin-story-expect/story?id=53421255

How many times has marvel relaunch Captain Marvel in the past 10 years?

Apparently not enough times for her to catch on.

Why? I can't wrap my head around why they push New Carol SO hard.

This is actually smart. Have a Year One style trade ready to sell with the movie.

And hey maybe this’ll stick

This is the third by Stohl alone

>Pre-Now! in 2012 with DeConnick
>All-New Now! in 2014, still with DeConnick
>Secret Wars miniseries, but that doesn't really count
>ANAD Marvel in 2015 with Butters and Fazekaz/the Gages
>Post-CW2 with Stohl in 2016
>Legacy renumbering in 2017
>Now this in 2018

>When asked how a female superhero fits specifically into movements like #MeToo, Stohl acknowledges the "hard time, a tumultuous time" that's occurred not only over the last couple years and far beyond that.

here you go "when's Carol" fagget

hope you enjoy it

They've committed to a movie version now, so they have to give her her own book till at least the movie's done and dusted.

I-i-is Stohl going to mention how Carol gave birth to and was also made pregnant by her own son?

>Stohl said that while picking the brains of Marvel Comics legends like Joe Quesada and seeing Danvers' impact in chat rooms and fan clubs, she saw the "widening circle of how much this character matters to people of all kinds."

The first issue of Stohl's run that I read went over Carol's origin.
They added in that Carol's dad told her to "get married and let a man take care of you" because he couldn't afford to send her and her brother to college.

Carol NOW!
That's always been part of her origin. They toned him down from the original actually.

oh god i hope not. there's no reason. leave it in the past!

I mean, wasn't that story just an immaculate conception expy?

God I hate Carol so much, she is marvels poochy in the purest sence

Seven relaunches in eight years. Christ on a bike.

I know I'm not supposed to like Carol, but I do.

Maybe it's just her good Ms. Marvel storylines gave me a rose-tinted outlook on her currently.

Most of her Captain Marvel stuff is good too.
But Sup Forums is Sup Forums.

>keeping Stohl on Captain Marvel
>letting Stohl rewrite her origin
NO. MARVEL STOP. This is the first thing from Fresh Start that I am actually angry about. Coates on CA I'm at least morbidly curious about, but Stohl on Carol has been fucking terrible.

>7
Your counting is off. That's 5 relaunches, assuming you count the Legacy renumbering, which wasn't really a relaunch.

You have to look at it from a marketing perspective. Once the movie hits, Marvel will have dozens of runs of "Captain Marvel" collected in hardcover on bookstore shelves all across the country. The loss in monthly sales of floppies is a calculated loss. Its the superficial appearance of a huge Carol library that will make it seem like she has a long, rich publishing history.

Do you mean her as in Carol or specifically Stohl's run? Because I liked the 10 issue ANAD volume, I like Carol as a character, and I like her as written by Ewing and Spencer. But Stohl's run is fucking asinine.

>B-B-BEAN!
FUCK OFF WITH THAT SHIT ALREADY.

>which wasn't really a relaunch.
Renumberings are indeed relaunches. You relaunch a book with a new number.

I generally only consider it a relaunch if it goes back to #1, but I understand why someone else would consider the legacy numbering a relaunch.

>This is the first thing from Fresh Start that I am actually angry about.
Imagine.

>Captain Marvel stuff is good too.
>being this contrarian

nothing about that article sold me. And what convinced editors to let her stay on the book? Though based on the title, I am guessing this is a mini series before the next writer.

But what if it's a huge if i know the Capitan Marvel movie flops and now all those relaunches in order to a lot of trades will be for nothing.

>They finally remembered Carol still has family

And it'll be how it's always been, the movies make hundreds of millions of dollars and barely any of those moviegoers will pick up any of the books.

It's particularly surprising to me because the Captain Marvel Infinity Countdown mini, which is replacing her ongoing for the duration, isn't written by Stohl. I figured that meant Stohl would be off of the relaunch, but nope. Maybe no one else wanted to write the book?

2012 run may as well have been NOW since it was a post-AvX character reboot like Hawkeye.

Didn't she get amnesia or something to explain why she doesn't interact with any of them?

Yeah that's the ultimate joke.

>Best-selling author Margaret Stohl is getting a chance to put her own stamp on the legacy of one of comic books' most prestigious and popular heroes, Captain Marvel.

Do you think they'll cover Rogue stealing Carol's powers?

Then they'll be saddled with an Inhumans situation, but that's highly unlikely. It's an MCU movie. They've got a formula down such that even their worst movies will at least get good critic scores and high turn out. Whether or not the movie is actually any good or if that will in any way result in increased trade sales enough to justify this long push, the movie itself will still turn a profit.

What I'm most surprised about is that they didn't use this relaunch as an opportunity to recolor her costume to be closer to the movie costume.

That's gonna backfire on them. If they just had a singular run starting from KSD, they'd be able to market Captain Marvel Volume 1-8. Now they've got like five separate Volume 1s littering bookstore shelves, and casuals are going to get confused and not buy any of them.

Thing is that they don't need anymore than "barely any." If the movie convinces a couple thousand people to buy her trades, then that'll have justified the push twice over.

Yes. KSD basically wanted to turn Carol into an OC so she had a whole arc devoted to giving her amnesia.

How is Carol supposed to be reliving memories if KSD had her get mind wiped?

I believe this would make it Captain Marvel Vol. 11.

Funny thing is she'd probably become popular just from reverting to her old self, after all the shit Marvel has done.

Fucking this. Danvers might be the most successfully forced character in comics.

Her original plan was to erase Mar-Vell from Carol's origin, but Marvel wouldn't let her do it, hence the weird time-travel arc in her first story that went nowhere.

Expect Carol's time being Ms. Marvel to be constantly ret-conned away.

>Most of her Captain Marvel stuff is good too

Eh, I liked her in Ultimates.

Her lesbian hair is still a problem

I will not buy this

If they're going to do this at least get Gage or a competent writer.

Why they push Stohl so hard is beyond me, she has interesting ideas but she's so painfully bad at dialogue and at executing said stories.

At least Mar-Vell is getting acknowledged.

It pains and yet makes me laugh how Reed made an effort in progressing Carol's character and giving her a rogues gallery and then KSD comes to just throw it all away.

No, the Butters and Fazeka, and Gage stuff was fine. KSD started out decent but devolved into shit stories with "Muh all-female squadron" borefest and then "LOL SPACE CAT" shit.

Stohl is the worst, with the "Muh Bean" crap and her shit irrelevant dialogue where every characters goes "YANNO" and they are all quirky and just all around awful and boring.

They're continuing the Captain Marvel push by re-releasing Reed's trades as "Captain Marvel: The Ms Marvel Years"

It wouldn't matter as long as they were good. I picked up a captain marvel book and its been relegated to the bottom of my reading list. It's patently uninteresting

Which likely won't be canon to her character for much longer.

Everytime I try to jump back into the Stohl run thinking "well, that dumb Bean storyline must be over by now," I just find an issue of Carol crying over how she lost Bean or has to get Bean back. Over and fucking over. It's ABSURD.

Is Bean actually a cat Stohl lost as a kid? That has to be it. It's gotta be a cat.

Just bring back Mar-Vell already

Hey, it might also be a miscarriage. I mean what else would you call a fetus?

Makes sense. She saw how much people hated nuCarol and preferred the old one. She also saw Carol gain more and more fame (infamy) through all the shitposts.

And honestly, I've come to like the image Sup Forums created of Carol: a complete loser that no one likes no matter how much people try to make her likeable; she's anti-hype, and she exists only to be hated. And I like that portrayal better than the actual Carol.