Someone scientifically explain why I found this movie genuinely funny when most MCU quipfests make me cringe

Someone scientifically explain why I found this movie genuinely funny when most MCU quipfests make me cringe.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NIBfyaBrnwE
youtube.com/watch?v=O-0rGuO0gy8
rogerebert.com/reviews/thor-2011
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You finally lowered your standards.

Iirc the actors who played Thor, Hulk, and Grandmaster were told they could improvise instead of follow the script word by word which is why the humor might have felt more natural.

That might actually be it. Up until this movie, only IM1 felt like the quips weren't forced.

Marvel created an AI to write and direct this movie, feeding it only the moments people laughed at the most from all other MCU films.

That's because Jon Faverau didn't have a completed script and left a majority of the dialogue up to RDJ, Pepper and the Dude.

That explains a lot actually.

Yeah but in Thor Ragnarok it was on purpose cause Taika likes to do that. Fun fact he voiced Korg too while also directing.

Because Taika keeps it tonally consistent instead of veering left and right and ending dramatic scenes on a quick quip. Drama and comedy follow a rhythm instead of a staccato beat of drama-comedy-drama-comedy-drama-comedy

It's a sign of early onset Dementia.

There were a lot of bathos in the movie though. Taika shouldn’t have let Chris improvise because a lot of heartfelt molents.

>Because Taika keeps it tonally consistent instead of veering left and right
Now THIS is funny.

I don't eve hate marvel and I thought a lot of humor was too much. Like every time they introduced a character it was ith a Joke. Seriously just became a little much. Thankfully Hulk came in and then they had better material to write with.

Most of the funny lines in that were improvised, as well.

Probably because the director went in treating it like a comedy

I think it's this.

I think the reason it worked for me was that most Marvel movies play as REALLY light dramas, while this one basically admitted that it's primarily an adventure comedy.

Such a weird direction that could have gone so wrong. If you watched the last two Thor movies you would be shocked at the third because it so ridiculously different

Fair enough, but I think there's something to be said about letting the actors go off script and try things out. Another fun fact, Peggy touching Steve's chest after he gets all muscley was improvised by Hayley Atwell.

You can’t blame her heh.

New Zealand humor

youtube.com/watch?v=NIBfyaBrnwE

It's almost like despite the memes there are different people writing and directing different movies.

It's weird, originally Ragnarok was going to be dead serious. Just look at the original promo material

Funny thing is that I'm pretty sure Ragnarok was originally set up to be more tonally similar to Thor 1 and 2, like look back at the logo when it was first revealed and some concept art

>Peggy touching Steve's chest after he gets all muscley was improvised by Hayley Atwell.
Based, wish they couldve found a way to have her not age and show up more in the movies, even though the subplot of cap dealing with a senile peggy and her eventual death was actually really good.

That probably explains why Banner was suddenly acting like Woody Allen. I was putting that on (((Waititi))).
It helps that most of them have good comedic timing.

Wut. This movie had the most deflating drama with humor of all of the MCU. Apparently that's a very Maori thing.

The movie was treated like more of a comedy. The reason some of the quips in the MCU are annoying is that they come at the expense of the tone of more serious scenes. There's plenty of moments in the MCU where they could've had a scene that was genuinely heartfelt and touching, or sad or whatever, and they back off at the last moment by inserting a joke.

Iirc The Hulk is Taika's favorite cape character.

Its the brother dynamic. Everyone else the quips are just them snarking at villains or snarking at allies who are actually trying to help.
Brothers pissing each other off for shits and giggles is universal tho

I sincerely doubt that. Taika was open from the beginning about the lighter tone and divorcing it from previous instalments.

I personally thought that it was mediocre and just another predictable Marvel.

Jokes constantly thrown around just like like too much and killed any tension that the movie could have had.

This. Chris Hemsworth has a gift for comedy. Yes I know about ghostbusters, it wasn't his fault.

>Stu went on to work on Ragnorok

*Marvel movie

Thor had a lot of non-snarky humorous lines with other characters, mostly of him trying to get on the good side of everyone from Valkyrie to Grandmaster to Hulk/Banner.

Unlike othe rMCU movies, It never tried to be more than what it was.

I have to say this is probably the first movie I actually liked Lokis character

My favorite line of his was the "it's about time [women had their own warrior caste]". It's not really a good line but he really makes it work with the right mix of sincerity and condescension.

>mediocre and just another predictable Marvel
That was Black Panther for me. Zzzzzz.....

Action-comedy works a bit better for Thor because it felt like there was no risk in the first two movies and was hard to take seriously.

This is probably why Grandmaster was such a weirdo.

I loved the humor too but Thor is now no different than Starlord, which is my main complaint. Like we didn't need another quippy hero really

Yeah Grandmaster was 1000% Jeff Goldblum weirdness

>god of thunder
>gets repeatedly btfo by a small disc that shoots electricity

What about that poster, eh?
Symmetrical as fuck.

Because it is purposefully verging on self-parody having almost every single story element undermined by comedy which is Taika Waititi's Indie sense of humor some madman actually let him do to a blockbuster.

They're still not really similar in personality or type of humor. Thor really isn't much with the snarky putdowns and his humor comes off more as genuine than Starlord's which is really the classic Chandler type who hides his insecurities behind humor.

Who knew that making a joke out of Surtur destroying Asgard was tonally consistent?

If only Chris Evans could have improvised touching Hayley's chest at some point and they decided to keep that in a film.

I found them extremely similar, especially the ruining cool moments with something stupid, like when Thor threw the ball at the window and it bounced to hit him out of the screen. But then again the previous Thor movies have been a total snoozefest, so the humor added a lot to the movie

I dunno man, in a movie that had previously made light of summary executions and slavery, seems pretty internally consisitent.

But that's not Thor doing something stupid, that's something stupid happening to Thor. And it's nothing like Starlord either. When does Starlord ever try to go on a grandiloquent speech to be interrupted by slapstick?
If anything Thor there was more similar to Ronan and the ball was his Starlord's danceoff.

The tones overall are similar, but the characters not really.

I thought it was pretty bad honestly, and I'm a Marvel fag. A lot of the jokes made me cringe especially the first bit with Surtur. It had no emotional payoffs whatsoever, like
youtube.com/watch?v=O-0rGuO0gy8
Odin's death felt like it should've been a big event for Thor and Loki. Same with Asgard's destruction. I don't even understand how everyone just conveniently ended up on Sakaar, especially a Valkyrie who just so happened to have a personal vendetta against Hela? Who Thor meets like immediately after arriving? I guess a random quinjet can just fly deep into space too??? And it's a toss up who's the worst character in the MCU between bald guy or Korg.

>I don't even understand how everyone just conveniently ended up on Sakaar
Everything that gets lost in spacetime does, apparently, it's like the universe's drain, hence all the garbage They touch on that a couple of times.
> I guess a random quinjet can just fly deep into space too???
I mean, maybe, we don't really have any knowledge on that prior to this movie so it's not like it's that out of the realm of plausibility.

He IS a comedy director after all.

But Roger told me that Thor 1 sucked dick.
rogerebert.com/reviews/thor-2011

I would've liked this film a lot if they had just played it straight. Well maybe not 100% straight, because Yost wrote a hella depressing, edgy script, but I could've really done without three quarters of the quips and subverted scenes.
As it stands, I think the film is barely above average for a Marvel movie.

Well, she got her own tv series, which is more than she could really ask for. One of the seasons was even good.

I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to have the villain do almost nothing for half the movie.
The entire second half from his coronation to his defeat felt super rushed.

he was the best part of Girlbusters, though

>meets his secret sister that he had no idea existed before that point
>meets one of the very few living people in the entire verse who know of her, and even has a specific vendetta, in the NEXT SCENE by PURE COINCIDENCE
yeah ok

He was right.

He was the only funny part of Slutbusters.

I can't user, cause honestly I didn't care for it.

Shut your mouth, Cap is pure

>another predictable Marvel.
Asgard was 100% destroyed, Thor lost his hammer and an eye, Loki is now 100% an ally, Hulk wrestled Fenrir in the Rainbow Bridhe while a spaceship crashed into the ground and was shooting fireworks to the sound of Immigrant Song.

How is this predictable?What you wanted? Thor spontaneously growing tits?

Banner felt a lot different, but I chalked that up to him being sort of dazed. He's just woken up from 2 years as Hulk on an alien planet that worships the thing he's trying not to be. Then he ends up escaping that world to fight a giant wolf and the Goddess of Death.

Not many people would deal with that any better.

Because Ragnaroks humor wasn't quipping, it was slapstick.

It had Jeff Goldblum in it

Because you're a simpleton. That's all this movie is; jingling "expensive" keys in the face of the a dumbass audience

>Thor spontaneously growing tits?
reminder Loki will probably actually do that at some point in the MCU

Because it had actual jokes instead of quips.

I sincerely doubt it's just electricity. Electricity doesn't give you black veins standing out all over your face.

Genius.

>ending dramatic scenes on a quick quip
What the fuck do you think the jokes when Asgard were destroyed were?
I mean it was funny but it absolutely undermined the drama.

>Thot Ragnandar
>Supporting cast is two sets of hot twins
It just writes itself.

I'm a simple man. When Thor rediscovered his thunder abilities, those were the highlights of the movie for me. The last battle with Immigrant Song playing especially. Sends me into hype that I haven't felt since the first Avengers standoff.

>I guess a random quinjet can just fly deep into space too???
Sakaar is led to by portals. The quinjet obviously flew into one.

>Loki is now 100% an ally
You can't honestly think that can you?

Yeah that really bothered me.

So why did they make thor the way they did? Were they more willing to take risks because the last 2 Thor's did so poorly?

It was probably made by the marketing department. They probably had no idea what the movie would really be like yet.

Have you seen What We Do In The Shadows?

You do no hire Taika Waititi and not expect comedy.

Because GOTG is what sells. Nobody wants Thor to be an epic fantasy, apparently

they should have just had her play Peggy's present day niece too and just have her say some throwaway line about all the women in her family looking the same

Because it was fun

Why does everybody on this board hate fun so much? I mean the comics are generally quipfests. If anything the movie are being truer to the comics now.

Maybe. Might confuse people who don't see the movie with that line though.

>If you watched the last two Thor movies you would be shocked at the third because it so ridiculously different
Conversely: if you watched GotG 2 and then watched Thor III ( which is what pretty much everyone did ) they're very very similar.

There's waaaay too much toxic bitter overly serious shit going on in real life right now and people just want to have fun and forget about it for a few hours.

It had an excellent director who has made good comedy before. He's also an actor so he has good insight into how to get the best delivery from his performers.

>The state of Skurge in this movie
Absolutely disgusting

>Nobody wants Thor to be an epic fantasy, apparently

It had gladiator fights in an exotic planet and giant wolfs, ending with a huge fire giant exploding Asgard. It WAS an epic fantasy, but a bettr and funnier one compared to the other movies.

>because the last 2 Thor's did so poorly
Probably, it was quite bad.

Sup Forums is a lot like Sup Forums in that a lot of people genuinely don’t like the word “fun”

Also hunt for the wilderpeople.

I think it more directly taps into nerves to cause pain. Precisely because electricity doesnt always work.

Because Thor wasn't a cheap quipfest, it was an actual comedy.

I just realized that Banner somehow knew how to speak Alien.

Skurge was a waste. He should have been an old soldier, the last of Hela's soldiers still alive in the modern day, eventually becoming disillusioned with his past.

Being a random shmuck thrown into terrible power was pointless.

More than 2 years. Remember Loki had been there for weeks when Thor arrived, there is a difference in time.
Bruce had probably been Hulk for hundred of years, explaining why he could talk so well

I heard an interview with Taika about how in the script the scene with them in the weapons area had them just grab their weapon then the rock guy says something like "Don't die". Thor then walks off to battle and the rock guy looks at the camera and says "He's going to die". Now that's a quip.
Instead Taika got them to have that scene be genuinely funny with talk of having the 3 vampires huddled together, and the sweet stuff about how Thor was feeling genuine loss about his Hammer

Because it was directed by a professional comedian who knows how to do comedy and how to use comedic timing.