/hyw/ How's Your Webcomic? #460

Previous Thread: Progress! Progress! Progress!: Edition

Thread Question: What are some early character concepts images of your main character? What has changed about them since the images were drawn?

> /hyw/ CONTACT SHEET - add your webcomic site, contact information, etc
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

> /hyw/ DISCORD CHAT
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

> DRAWING PRACTICE and TUTORIALS
Ctrlpaint.com
drawabox.com/
line-of-action.com/
quickposes.com/en

> STOCK IMAGES and REFERENCE
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/
Character Design: pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

> FONTS
Blambot: blambot.com/
Create your own: calligraphr.com

> WEBSITE
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do's and Dont's for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
Promoting your comic: miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

> ART and WRITING RESOURCES
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

> PODCASTS and VIDEOS
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
John Cleese on Creativity: youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
Capeworld's Podcast: youtube.com/channel/UC4QSk9zbGdHsg4-jgCFFF7w

Other urls found in this thread:

smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=172827
loathemewebcomic.tumblr.com/post/171253159244/
colonycorps.com/page/2
dollfever.net
youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

HERE WE FUCKING GO BOIS

>What are some early character concepts images of your main character?
Here's one from when I was messing around with the styles.

>What has changed about them since the images were drawn?
I've completely changed the style. Her hair has changed to a simple poofy ponytail. Her nose is different, less pointy. Her dress has had a few changes. Instead of those cuff-like things, I've just given her a short sleeved shirt over a long one. Her eyebrows are now bigger. Also, freckles are now 3 dots instead of 4.

Reposting this page.

I don't have all my old proto character stuff scanned (don't own a scanner anyway. I could photograph it...) but I do have a few of the main character. they aren't very interesting or significantly different and I'm not looking forward to another "haha you haven't changed at all" so I'll just show the very originalmost from the old comic
I've already posted it before. And those. if I thought anybody but Megan cared, I guess I'd photo the N concepts. There was weird shit like Sasha being a lot younger and Hel having green eyes.

Finally gonna get that robot stuff in the comic, just hope I don't let it over take the slice of life stuff.

shit you just reminded me of that Little Bot comic
RIP

This one goes pretty far back when my comic was going to be a parody of something else.
>What has changed about them since the images were drawn?
The jacket pocket is gone and is redesigned to look more like an actual jacket. The ponytail is gone, but I'm considering bringing it back since it'll be good for showing motion. She's considerably thicker now to show she's actually out of shape, so her tits are bigger as well. The fingerless gloves are gone as well, her panties are a bit smaller and the thigh highs are longer so there's less absolute territory. The wakizashis have been replaced with shirasaya tantos, which means no more disc guard.

Basically: Silhouette only minorly affected, most minor details changed.

I have no idea what the thing is on her jaw, but it's gone too.

Ew old art ew.
I can't go too much into detail on how Mona came about because that would reveal my HORRIBLE SECRET, so here's some relatively old art.
I started to draw noses and ears at some point. And heads that aren't just circles. You don't even want to see the period where I wasn't drawing necks.

Also the new pages have been uploaded so there's that
smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=172827
Oh yeah I made a tumblr too even though tumblr is like the worst site for getting noticed. The only reason any of my posts have notes at all is because I got a friend of a friend to reblog it.
loathemewebcomic.tumblr.com/post/171253159244/

>Thread Question: What are some early character concepts images of your main character? What has changed about them since the images were drawn?
Had to dig in the gallery a bit to find Tiya's first design, which actually wasn't gonna be her at all, it was just some anthro dragon I drew that I decided to ramake into an actual character when I started forming the comic in my head.
Look it up and it looks cute. What I'm gonna go for is a bit of Medabots, since I loved it as a kid and I love the idea of owning your own little robot that you can interact with.

everybody loves the medarot premise. it's so delightful and almost cozy, and one of the most believable in-universe as an actual thing people would do.
I'll be really interested to watch you develop from here!

Popping in with a quick update to my comic.
colonycorps.com/page/2
Sort of had to deal with some work/job interview stuff the past couple days so I am still working on getting through the various suggestions carver has received.

And also, yeah I got some early character designs/images.
This might be the earliest "realized" version. Intended as a header for a quest thread, back when I was thinking of doing it entirely textually, and also back when quests were on /tg/.

I've got other pics, since this is something that has been rattling around in my head for a while.

Some early uniform concepts... a lot more drab than it turned out ultimately, based off of some haute couture winter jacket I once saw. Mostly explorations.

done with shading Laserwing!

and here is possibly the oldest surviving image of characters that ended up in Laserwing

>design character with big boobs
>they actually have a purpose in contrasting the main character
>still feel like a gross amateurish creep drawing them

How do I stop being such a faggot

smaller boobs

Just don't focus on the titty my guy

good depth.
That is the best shirt in the history of textile.
Huh. one of her eye shinies is transparent and the other isn't. Anyway dude stop letting other people tell you when to feel like a creep. In case you haven't noticed, they will NEVER STOP. You draw small tits, they'll call you a different kind of creep. Or maybe the same kind. Draw what you want and those of us who matter will at least respect you for it.

Make them bigger

Imagine if it was common for women to draw men with gigantic pendulous nutsacks

also hey your anatomy and faces are looking nicer.

He's telling HIMSELF he's a creep, that's called having some self awareness

okay done.

Young Lucky is so cute!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but when I said "you might want to revise the wording in the second panel, dewd." I didn't actually mean the taken/taking thing exclusively. That was sort of a small who cares sort of issue. Like I said, I don't think anyone would've actually called you out on it. I meant

>...what I came her to talk about it about Jack...

Now, I might just be reading that wrong, I'm totally willing to admit that. But the sentence looks awfully fucked up from where I stand. Is it just me, though?

The last line looks so much like a punchline I laughed even though it's not funny

>What are some early character concepts images of your main character? What has changed about them since the images were drawn?

Roofgirl was supposed to be about a highschooler superhuman who becomes a sidekick for a murderous anti hero named night stick, to try and make him less edgy. And the anti hero, sees potential in roofgirl and tries to use her to fulfill his revenge. Lots of bone breaking, blood vomiting, stretegic battles to overcome power differences etc were planned.

But i stopped drawing it cus it was too full of cliche and cringy dialogs. And i made too many joke characters as you can see in pic related, made it impossible to be taken seriously.

This was almost 2 years ago when i was in highschool as stated inI guess my limitation of art and writing skills made the idea turn into what it is currently but i hope to insert more depth into the comic and not just make it a funny shitpost series.

I want the "no, you suck!" shirt.

Well, "here" is spelled correctly, but you're right on the it's part being spelled wrong with me forgetting an S.

Welp, not sure this is progress, but here's Midori from 1997, 2012 and 2018.

Have you finished the male character you told me you were going to do? If you don't want or can't, it's cool, other people also gave me two characters to use, so I can go with Mizu and Sasha alone.

12 was great

I get that a lot, but 12 is hard to adapt to 3D so I re-designed her for that reason. 18 is definitely easier to render.
My fave is 02 actually, but I couldn't find a picture in my drive, it's all in a backup that god knows where I store it.

dollfever.net
Come and check the new doll fever page user

Don't reply to Coldfusion

Reminder that the due date for entries is the 17th. Get em in!

>Match ups

Vryka (Vela) vs Alice (Otto)

Midori (Earthfield) vs Milly (Mitch)

Neptunia and her evil floating device.

I like it!

Tomorrow Ed and I will interview Laundry Mom! She's also bringing in Nessie as a special guest. Doom Patrol is the topic of discussion, especially the new Gerard Way Young Animal series and Milk Wars.

What would you like to see us talk about for our next podcast?

-More Young Animal

-Superman, the upcoming milestone issue of Action Comics, and the coming of Bendis

-Metal

-New Superman and the coming Justice League of China

-Shogun Yoshida's attempt to right Marvel and why none of us read Marvel

I hate it!

>brings on laundrymom, the biggest weeb in the thread.
>Doom patrol is the topic of discussion.
I thought this was a webcomic podcast.

I do like capeshit and I do realize that it's the Capeworld Podcast and not the /HYW/ Podcast but do you think you should cover more then cape stuff?
If I'm not mistaken, a majority of your audience should be people from these threads and I imagine a number of them don't like capeshit at all.
Personally, I was hoping for you guys to talk a little bit more about webcomics or or some tips for new comic creators.

youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

>mitch leaves
>they now stop talking about webcomics
pottery

Laundry Mom is webcomics and we talked about capestuff with Mitch. If you guys want us to talk about webcomics feel free to suggest some. We've been talking about maybe tackling the first volume of PS 238 or 8-bit theater.

>More than cape stuff
Sure. Got anything in mind?

>Tips for new comic creators
That's something interesting. I'll talk with Ed about making an episode about this.

>Biggest Weeb
She keeps up with some comics and knows what Doom Patrol is.

>Webcomics
Got the message loud and clear. Next episode will be webcomics. But what webcomic?

-PS 238

-8 bit theater

-Homestuck

-Prequel

-?

Every episode should be "webcomics" you dunce. This is a general about fucking webcomics.

Well they are. Every episode we talk about a webcomic or interview a webcomic creator about their webcomic. There's no reason it can't be both about comics and webcomics, especially when the line gets blurred in a lot of situations.

Also, what webcomic would you like us to talk about?

>There's no reason it can't be both about comics and webcomics
Except talking about anything besides webcomics here is considered off-topic. If you want to talk about nothing but comics then make your own thread.

You've been criticised again and again for not being about webcomics, so obviously you must be doing something wrong.

I have literally no idea what doom patrol is my dude.

>For not being about webcomics
But we do discuss webcomics, and not just discuss them but discuss them with their creators (Stones of Anarchy, Boy's Land). We've even discussed webcomic publication drama directly with the people involved (Blue Trinity saga).

We talk about webcomics. A lot.

>Except talking about anything besides webcomics here is off topic

No need to be obsequious user. And again, what webcomic would you like to talk about?

Then prepare for a ride.

Also, wouldn't digital first series count as webcomics?

>what webcomic would you like to talk about?
If you're going to be bringing on other webcomic creators why not, you know, actually talk about their webcomics a little?

I thought it was implied that we'd talk about Laundry Mom's stuff since, you know, we've done that with everyone else we've brought on the podcast.

What about some older /HYW/ webcomics that are no longer in these threads anymore.
I'm relatively new to these threads so the only one I can think of is The Sisters. I think they came from here?
I was also thinking about just webcomic stuff in general like successes, beginner traps, and cliches.

For the record I don't want you guys to completely stop talking about capes, capes have some really dumb shit I enjoy.

Maybe we could do a seance episode where we talk about Carrion Girls and try to summon the soul of its dearly departed creator? Bones IS a warlock you know.

>Really dumb shit I enjoy
Capes have the best dumb shit.

well, Lucy, yer getting there man.

Dumbing of age.

>Used to love It's Walky and 8-bit theater back when I was a dumb little high schooler
>I get older and look back and cringe at myself

I just hope when I revisit PS 238 it'll have held up after all these years.

I read that while i had a depression. Somehow it pissed me off to no belief

Personally, I'd enjoy a discussion on Homestuck simply because that's the only one I have any familiarity with. I think it could be especially fitting because of how influential was to Webcomics as a whole.

no I mean. I am laundry mom. I literally don't know what doom patrol is. I'm a Sup Forums normie my dude

I know. It'll be good to have a normie to react to when we start talking about Danny the Street and Rettconn and the omniverse being saved by an inflation fetish.

That seems like a good way to alienate your guest, honestly. What's most likely to happen is that Laundry Mom will sit in confused silence while you and Ed talk.

We'll see how it goes.

>talks about Sup Forums material with a weeb guest
>everyone bitches
>you say you're gonna talk about web-comics instead
>roll back on that two minutes later so you can talk about what you want to talk about.
this is going to be a shitshow.

>Roll back
The plan has been to interview Laundry Mom and talk about Doom Patrol for a week.

It's like you got this weird mental blindspot where you can't get that we talk about comics (Doom Patrol) AND webcomics (Laundry Mom) despite there being several several episodes on youtube.

hello, i am an ideas guy! I have many ideas.

Are any of them good?

I dunno. Mitch, should I show my initial sketch for Marie? or should I keep it secret?

no, but will you draw them for free?

>most interesting bits are the bits when people get to talk about their comics.
>was the best part of the boystown interview
>the rest of it was boring filler where I don't even think he was talking, this bit you were talking about comics
get the fucking message. Laundry mom isnt even the only weeb here. most of the people here know nothing about comics.

I think he posted it last night. it was super cute.

It depends. Do you have any good ideas?

>Most people here know nothing about comics
You do know what board this is, right?

>The rest was boring filler where I don't even think we was talking, this bit you were talking about comics

We were talking about Lackadaisy Cats. A webcomic. With Jack and his friend.

What is wrong with you?

Sup Forums comics AND cartoons, (and webcomics but mods dont care)
why else do you think we're here

Hey Capeworld. If you're going to be interviewing weebs, maybe you could discuss how Japanese comics compare against western, and how those influences translate into webcomics. Then you and Ed can ramble about your capeshit, and Laundrymom could sperg about shounenshit. Seems fun, no?

Yeah, show em! I'll see if I can't dig up my old sketchbook with the original doodles.

That doesn't sound like it'll work out man. It'd just be like me with Lackadaisy where I kept quiet most of the time because I didn't catch up on it.

Why not talk about Doom Patrol separately with Ed and for the second half have Laundry Mom and Nessie come on? That way they won't be bored half to death trying to keep up with something they know nothing about and you and Ed can freely talk about comics.

>otto thinks comics and web comics are the same thing when they need to be created to meet two completely different update schedules and audiences.
webomics and comics are different mediums you fuck

Awwww
Wow does her sensei visit /hyw/? I feel like panel 5 could pretty much summarize the advice people get.

no-one ever naturally thinks of themselves as a creep without a frankly criminal level of intrusion by others

I was supposed to be providing another character for this project? dude, you should have bugged me after the first day I didn't give you something. I didn't know I had an assignment.

We can do that.

Spoiler: Western comics win in all possible ways and manga shouldn't be a word, they should just be called comics.

I'll ask her if she'd like to do that. On discord she SEEMED to want to talk about Doom Patrol and comics (she mentioned hellboy and gwenpool specifically), but something probably got miscommunicated.

I want to debate you on this. There's far more variance within webcomics and comics in terms of audience and schedule than between webcomics and comics.

Who are you? I want to debate with you on the podcast about this "wall" you imagine between comics and webcomics.

stickin' with that water theme. even looks like a water molecule. 10/10 villainry.

Lm here, I feel the same way so Ill debate this.

>Lm here
?

When I asked you about using Sasha and Mizu, I told you "gimme a male character that isn't barefoot or has any facial face" which was partly a joke, but if you do, that would be great.

laundrymom

Wasn't sure if that was supposed to be I'm or some sort of weird emoji thing where the m is a face and the L is a raised arm.

Here we go. My first attempt, too much Disney-ish.

eugh

Laundry Mom just told me on discord that she wants to do some drawing during the podcast if anyone is interested.

Lesbians? On my mars?

Question, how do you guys keep trying and going after feeling like nothing you do is good at all and suicidal thoughts fill your head? asking for a friend

streamed, or just background video?
being able to chat during the podcast would be cool

Death doesn't remedy failure. It just compounds it.