Metabarons WITHOUT Jodo

Metabarons Storytime!
Metabaron: Wilhelm-100 with script by Jerry Frissen and the sweet sweet talents of Valentin Sécher in the art.

Other urls found in this thread:

getcomics.info/other-comics/metabaron-vol-1-2-2016/
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Incal
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i will be posting volume 1 only

Dammit Tonto, after all these years :_(

When you see the word "techno", drink.

and that's the end of vol.1, guys

Opinions? Obviously it isn't better than the Jodo-Giménez version, but that was expected

Never read anything in this series but it seems interesting. Reminds me of that Prophet revival a bit in that there seems to be a lot of backstory that I know nothing about. Guess I should read the previous books. Also this had some fantastic art.

>Just kill the Meta-Baron.
What a genius plan!

Is this series set before or after the Incal? Because in the Meta-Baron series, Nameless swears he will be the last of the Meta-Barons, by taking no wife and having no sons, but in Incal he has an adopted son, and is sorta paired up with Animah's sister, Thanatah.

help i am dying.

Techno-dying?

your fault, you paleo-dog!

Meh.
Cloning the Meta-Baron and expecting to get something close to the original is like trying to clone Batman.
And yeah, Incal was a much better story, and The Caste of the Meta-Barons series had a much grander space-opera feeling, this is passable tho.

And I also loved how in Meta-Barons, each generation had this impossible, against all odds love story, which seems to be missing here too (unless that Skel and Lalli storyline wasn't as pointless as it seems to be).

Oh, forgot to thank you for storytime, OP.
So thanks.

Don't forget, the Incal retconned itself out of existence.

Long story short, the Metabaron is a secondary character from The Incal (by Jodo and Moebius). In 1992, Jodo and Juan Giménez started publishing The Saga of the Metabarons, a space-opera of five generations based on his undeveloped Dune script.

The Metabaron is the ultimate mercenary. An interstellar soldier. He lives in his space-bunker, raised by his father and the robots. When he reaches certain age, the child must pass certain amputation rituals (ear, legs, other...). Then the child and the father must fight to death. If the child kills the father he becomes the next Metabaron, and the saga continues...

How many volumes of this are out anyway? I want to wait for the complete collection.

Four
Have a link, my friend
getcomics.info/other-comics/metabaron-vol-1-2-2016/

Did it? I largely ignored the After the Incal books, since iirc even Jodorowsky has said they are non-cannon.

If you like this, read The Incal and The Caste of the Meta-Barons, they are MUCH better.

Oh shit. So I just gotta wait for Humanoids to publish it.

Found the original short story from Heavy Metal, by Moebius

Final Incal is After the Incal with an ending. Moebius died before After was finished, so for consistency Jodoeowsky got another artist and redid the whole thing, with a light edit to existing script. That's why After is noncanon, but Final is.

It isn't as artistic as the original run but it has its charm.
Not as subtly brutal.

I think he even disowned After the Incal from a story POV, since it had the whole Incal as just a dream, and he later realized that "it was just a dream" is a garbage-tier storytelling trope.

the end

Not enough people being shot in the dick.

FYI same page by Juan Giménez

Proof? I mean it's just a dream is terrible, but it's just a dream that happened to Difool. Although I was surprised that no weird universe bending twist came from Animah and Luz looking exactly alike.

How many volumes is the Metabaron meant to be anyway?

There's a quote (in french) from an interview he did where he says he was an idiot for using the extremely easy ideea of "just a dream, lol"

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Incal

To elaborate:
Jodo and Moebius started After the Incal but after the first volume they had a falling out or something and abandoned it.
8 years later Jodo wants to finish it but discard the "just a dream" aspect. Moebius says "fuck you I'm out you inconsistent hack" so he continues with a different artist and makes 3 volume seires Final Incal, while at the same time they finish After the Incal by making a slightly modified vol.2 & 3 of Final Incal than will work with Vol.1 of After and reach the same conclusion as Final.

Othon responded to having his dick shot off by impregnating a psychic assasin/prostitute/nun/courtesan and starting a family of invincible god-like warriors who inherit the title by having the son kill the father in mortal combat.
What a badass.

Started reading vol.2 of this.
Man Jodorowsky is getting old. Old and bad at writing.
Sad.

I'm laughing far harder than I should

I am feeling strange disconnect between tech level (superspeed! real AI! complete galaxy scan in search of blood in a matter of days! virtually unlimited energy!) and profound lack of enlightment

Also, it is not clear just what metabaron's power is meant to be. Surely his fortress is a much bigger deal then - what, missing ear, prosthethic arm?..

>Also, it is not clear just what metabaron's power is meant to be.
His power is Being Really Good At Killing Shit.

OP = DOPE

On Vol.3 now.
Jodorowsky has reached Claremont levels of fetishism. I'm strangely ok with this.

storytime?

It's too long and I'm lazy, I dowloaded them from here .
Be warned. Vol.2 is imho the worst book in the entire extended series, but 3 and 4 are pretty good.

Oh, just realized that the writer isn't Jodorowsky he's just given a story credit. That's why none of the dialogue felt like his previous (good) work.

thanks

Is the RPG suplimemt "guide to metabaron universe" canon ? Some of it was pretty solid