Why does capeshit need to be so long? Are 2 hour+ runtimes needed?

Why does capeshit need to be so long? Are 2 hour+ runtimes needed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZCt92zLmLI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Uh yeah, these are um like the EPICS of the CURRENT YEAR, um sweetie.

Unironically this. They're more frequently pumped out than the likes of Ben-Hur or The Ten Commandments, but those movies were 2 and a half, 3 hours long because they were the big epic stories that people wanted to see. They relied heavily on star power and spectacle, and they stuck to a formula just like the MCU. We only got six or seven of 'em because Hollywood was only just coming into its own and cracking the idea of the blockbuster.

>2 hour+ runtime
>long
Fucking Millennials and their ADHD.

oh wow, my mom is a millenial. i guess i just learned that

That’s the worst movie to use to make your point and it even works against you

Basic-edition LOTR movies were all 3h long. 1997's Titanic was 3h 15min. Gone with the Wind fell two minutes short of FOUR HOURS.
What the fuck are you even complaining about?

>those movies were 2 and a half, 3 hours long because they were the big epic stories
Reminder that image related is 221 minutes ( not counting the intermission in the original showings )

>DUDE 20 SUPER HEROES IN ONE MOVIE IT WILL BE EPIC
Why are people hyped for this?

Lotr and Titanic are good movies unlike capeshit.

Because having to include an origin story every fucking time means that you've got like a half hour of bullshit you already knew, then you either have a long runtime, or the rest of the movie feels really compressed.

>I can't into an ensemble cast
Does your mother know you're outside without your helmet, Forrest?

If I'm paying $16 to see something it better give me more than a dtd movie.

I don't know if its necessary, but certainly I prefer it that way, if I gonna pay for a movie, it better keep me entertaining for a while

There is literally no time for character development.

I'm seeing this movie for Thanos, not the other 30 plus characters.

>muh character development

Thats why they have their own movies you tard. The only character that will need development is Thanos.

That's what solo movies are for. At this point the MCU is less a franchise and more a TV show, just with long-ass episodes and a very irregular schedule. Ensemble movies are the big, bombastic season finales.

>that terrible Hulk and Rhodey CGI

THIS!

good movies cant be long enough
bad movies cant be short enough

Even 90+ minutes are stretching it...there is literally no reason why capeflicks should be longer than Pixar movies, they basically appeal to the same core-audience.

This shits like tumblr, with a race to who can get the most offended.

Except on Sup Forums it's all about who can create the most inane complaints. Mostly in order to get obvious responses.

We need to bring back intermissions. Movies shouldn't be forced to stay short.

A movie should be as long as it needs to be I've never felt the marvel movies were padded for run time like say the transformers movies in fact they often feel cut down like age of ultron.

>Lotr and Titanic are good movies
Literally grasping for reasons to remain upset

Depends.
IW has like 25 characters running around who need screen time.
Ragnarok could have suffered to be longer or even 2 separate shorter movies with how rushed its pacing felt.
But most solo movies should be ableto keep it under 2 hours, especially the non-origin ones.

Jackson can't for the life of him make a movie under 3 hours. It's fine for LOTR but I can't be fucking bothered to watch 3 hours of King Kong and Jack Black.
Titanic is an absolute borefest for like half the movie.

Because they don't read comics and haven't learned that events are shit.

I miss intermissions.

Let's all go to the lobby.

Why do you think they had 18 movies before this Infinity War?

If they have enough going on, sure. I'd still like to see that 4 hour cut of Batman v Superman that is said to have existed at some point in production.

This.

I'm not so enthralled in a movie that I don't want to stretch my legs, take a piss, or grab a snack. I hate missing something but I also hate being confined to a chair.

That might not be a bad idea
youtube.com/watch?v=ZZCt92zLmLI

Or you can just not watch it. A novel idea, I know.

You ever wonder if people just look for reasons to be mad at nothing?

Pretty much why I stopped watching this stuff at the theatres
It's so tedious half the time with godawful pacing and shit cgi

>I want my simple plotlines to be drawn out and padded

It's also fun to talk with friends in the middle of a movie about early impressions and ending expectations, but I'm not gonna do that while the movie is actually playing.

Sup Forums just can't accept the fact that a majority of people prefer the MCU over comics and so they spend all their time trying to find anything they can to bitch about. Comics have events all the time and no one bats an eye but when a movie does it? Oh no no no can't have that.

2.5 hours for an MCU movie is fine, they tend to be very fastpaced. 12 hours for the Netflix shows is extremely disconcerting though. Even decompressed they shouldn't be exceeding 6 episodes.

>People want shorter movies

Guys, if you don't like watching them, why go see them at all instead of bitching that the movie is 25 percent longer than it should be? If anything, I expect a fucking intermission, ice cream break, and toilet break for my money's worth.

It's like

>OH I FUCKIN ATE FOOTBALL ME
>AND THOSE FUCKIN SCOUSERS, PROPER SHIT THEM
>Hey Dave, want to come see the Liverpool vs Everton match?
>Sure man, but I might leave 5 minutes early

Maybe they need a built up prologue before they start the first act? Maybe the third act is appended by a twist? Maybe it's fun to see the long battles that warrant a long screentime?

What the fuck are you on, people bitch about events all the time.
Movie audiences will get bored of them too eventually, although it won't stop them from making bank. Solo or smaller team movies are more fun.

Yeah man, movies like Fant4stic which had a run time of 1 hour 47 minutes were way better!

Too many problems with that.

1. Too many movies releasing a year that all need to be jam packed into theaters. Compare that how few movies were released back in the 40's and 50's and how a single movie could stay in theaters for 8+ months.
2. A long runtime means less general showings at a single theater. Especially problematic for blockbusters. If Avengers was 4 hours long instead of 2, that would mean half the amount of showings a theater could have = they'd have to use another room.
3. Too costly.
4. People who can get entertainment on their phone on the bus now will not want to sit through a 4 hour movie. Binging an 8-hour TV series is more comfortable for people because they can choose when to start and stop it and can make up their own times. Theater releases are dependent on predetermined times.

The actual bigger issue is that critics can and will take points off if a film is to long, great or no. People forget that was a major complaint for Titanic was its length.

I don't think anyone was implying that it was viable commercially, just better for creatives and audience.

Critics don't matter for shit, look at your example, a movie that was the highest grossing movie of all time for 15 years and won a handful of Oscars.

They're the modern epics movies are the new millenium. Did The Great Race need to be over two hours long? No. Did Around the World in Eighty Days need to be over two hours long? Fuck no. Did The Bridge on the River Kwai need to be over two hours long? Yes. I forget my point.

>Thats why they have their own movies you tard

But they throw away character development from one movie to the next.

>Avengers 1
>Tony Stark learns about being a team player and safrifice in order to save the day.
>Iron Man 3.
>Goes back to acting like an idiot.
>PTSD subplot that never gets solved.
>Quits being Iron Man, blows up all his armors.
>Avengers 2.
>Goes back to act like an idiot, again.
>No PTSD whatsoever.
>Iron Man again with more armors than ever despite quitting during Iron Man 3.

Yeah nigga thats long

No, people got shit to do. Not our fault you're a NEET who can afford to sit in a theater all day.

youre legit wrong tho, his ptsd is being managed but he still freaks out at wandas mindfuckery and thats why he makes ultron, and he has only 2 suits (3 with hulkbuster) and those 6 drones at the beginning
also
>teamup premise
>not condensing members to core personality traits
theres just not enough time to go into the nuances of black widows “personality” like they did in winter soldier and i dont fault whedon for that, despite all the mistakes he made

>people got shit to do

>spends the day arguing in Sup Forums

Are you so stupid to think OP was implying shorter movies are better BECAUSE they're short?

How much is Disney paying you?

>Implying I dont come here in my free time
>Implying I'm not phone posting from somewhere

Why isn't Hulk in the front?

Wait... why isn’t Black Panther at the front leading HIS nation?

this looks so fake

The white guy has to be the lead DUH!

How else will you know which toys to buy?

Here’s your (You)

Because he'd be blocking the shot, dummy

I can't wait to see what they're actually charging at.