Stay cool forever, Sup Forums. Arrivederci

Stay cool forever, Sup Forums. Arrivederci.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8tjWZ_8D67s
youtube.com/watch?v=H98Q9VU6IEM
youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2NUzgMvz8
youtube.com/watch?v=Zu1WNNPvrkY
youtu.be/G65pvuTFR_A
youtube.com/watch?v=RnlU641cL-s
youtube.com/watch?v=A2MzCBB11PU
youtube.com/watch?v=ITkj9B_NWKE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

can't happen m8, too many hotheads getting mad at your SU pic

that episode was cool but faaaaar from the best SU episode

Arigatou, Gyro.

Go back to trash

Why was season 1 so much better than later seasons, what the fuck happened to make it lose steam so quickly?

we were never cool

I miss season 1

less gem stuff and world building, more townie bullshit and hiatuses

Because Rebecca Sugar really does have good ideas but she hired all tumblr amateurs who began to the run the show instead.
She didn't have the iron to say "Hey! I fucking run this shit. Do as I say or get out"

Staff tried too hard to make these big story arcs that failed and neglected making each episode entertaining and enjoyable in itself

Also Steven was more of an actual protagonist and less team cheerleader
>less gem stuff and world building, more townie bullshit
False dichotomy. S1 was good because it mixed the magical and mundane. When they started to separate the two, both kinds of episodes were worse off

>Because Rebecca Sugar really does have good ideas but she hired all tumblr amateurs who began to the run the show instead.
>She didn't have the iron to say "Hey! I fucking run this shit. Do as I say or get out"
This so fucking hard. Sup Forums directs its hatred towards Sugar, but her actual biggest sin is not reigning in her production team. Pretty much every time she actually gets directly involved, or the show actually adheres to her ideas, is when the show is at its best. It's at its worst when she just lets her staff run wild.

In a way it's a lesser version of Adventure Time's problem.

The show cares more about Steven's feelings than telling an interesting story.

I learned to stay true to myself by watching myself die

I know. the problem is the lack of focus on the "magical" aspect of the show that season 1 had

Do you think that the show has suffered from a lack of Pendleton?
His episodes are pretty in line of what we see.
I think adventure time has been pretty consistent throughout the years.

they ditched the monster of the week format

>have the power to solve all unsolved questions and fix everything
>fuck it up
I hate this episode

This.
They're in love with Steven as this LGBBQ icon or something. They're content with Steven existing when that's the opposite of what good artists do.
Good artists ask themselves "Am I growing anything? I am doing anything" if no, then scrap it. Do something different.

The SU team would draw Steven crying for centuries

And replaced it with Townie problem of the week
>THIS WEEK ON STEVEN UNIVERSE, SOMEONE IN TOWN IS SAD AND IT'S UP TO STEVEN TO HELP THEM FEEL BETTER

late AT has too many episodes like jake's tail and jake the brick that are trying too hard to be classy emmy bait to be good

That's why this obsession with 'lore' is a problem. Having backstory is good, yes, but it should be exactly that, backstory. When it starts taking over the story, you get a problem.

It was great when Steven and the gems fought the corrupted monsters in 1A. It didn't necessarily add to the 'lore' but it used the show's concept in an entertaining way

The entire premise of the show depended on this. Take the 2nd episode. You've got this huge sci-fi thing coming from outerspace about to crash into earth. Steven takes this in stride and finds nothing unusual about it (along with the rest of the gems). In order to defeat it, he has to explore his dad's storage closet. The entire point is that, to a kid, the storage unit exploration is the magical part. To get the cannon to the beach, they have to drag the thing while playing homemade music. The show's premise was that the "mudane" is magical. That's what is was sold as, and that's what they lost in the later episodes.

While I didn't think those were the best episodes, I still appreciated them. They felt like artists doing weird artist shit. Which should be encouraged because even if 9/10 of them are duds, that 1/10 will blow your fucking socks off in a way that a show that doesn't take risks can never do.
You forget the duds, it's the wins that you remember. I'm glad they take risks, even if it's Emmy bait
Also wasn't Pendleton involved with that weird Jake's Tail episode?

The one good SU episode

I mean, the show still could've worked even with the lore being the focus of the story. the crew (and CN to an extent) just handled it very, very poorly.

>Sugar gives her staff too much freedom both writing-wise and artistically
>she let Zuke insert her Lapidot crap for how long before finally putting her foot down
>art quality of the show is often subpar and varies wildly because she doesn't tell anyone to stay on model/follow reference sheets
>writers apparently don't need to actually collaborate with each other and can do (almost) whatever the fuck they want with their own episodes
>Sugar didn't like the way other artists on the show were utilizing Peri's floaty fingers so instead of directing them to use them a certain way she got rid of the limb enhancers entirely

I thought the lapidot stuff that made it into the show was fine/cute. But for whatever reason, they took way too long to actually address Lapis in general, so it just got more and more awkward as time went on. Why is she wanting to have anything to do with the gems? What happened during the war? Was Pearl responsible in some way? None of this has been addressed.

Holy shit this. It isn’t townie or lore that’s the problem, it’s that the show forgot that it’s fantasy realism at its core, a heartwarming homage to magical girl anime that crosses the fantastic with the mundane. I’d argue the show maintains this up til the end of S1. Then S2 got too deep into pandering to the fandom with lengthy arcs devoted solely to the gem storyline or solely to relationship drama, rather than merging the two naturally. I actually enjoyed Periredemption but it is the last solidly great part of the show, and S3 and beyond just fell apart at the seams.

Peridot should have had her arc within Beach City. Kevin should have held his party in some wacky gem-related setting. Jasper should have been corrputed in front of the whole town. When you separate the two hooks of your show you risk making both halves worse.

Best one off episode, just good scifi in general, plus tge dark humor

Jake's tail episode was lame, but Jake the Brick was great. Super comfy episode.

Who is the baseline Sup Forums character that Steven could beat, Marvel/DC-wise? Like, where is his threshold of strength? Iron Man, Green Lantern, the Teen Titans?

No way to tell. Their powers are all over the place
One episode Garnet can fire guided rocket fists or turn her hands house sized.
But then the next episode, she'll be beaten by a green midget with helicopter fingers flying slowly away

He could definitely take TT Robin

Right from the first time I watched SU I knew Steve could take Hydro-Man

Look me in the eye and tell me Steven could not take Hydro-Man

Jesus Christ, I can't believe I'm genuinely nostalgic for SU Season 1. What the fuck went wrong with this show?

The villain from Spider-Man 90s TAS?
Fuck no. Hydro-man was OP as fuck

the show went too far up its own ass instead of staying a comfy show about character interactions + fighting monsters with occasional drama/lore

The show is so janky and can't get on track. As soon as it gets comfy and chill, some gem related shit happens and the misshapen plot rears it's ugly head.
Every time the plot starts to heat up and get gud it always ends up way worse than what it was hyped up to be and the town seems annoying as hell when they immediately go straight back as if absolutely nothing happened.

>The show is so janky and can't get on track. As soon as it gets comfy and chill, some gem related shit happens and the misshapen plot rears it's ugly head.
Are you anti-Sup Forums?
We like the gem shit. It's the comfy shit that we hate

Yeah, but we've been getting more gem shit, so we have to 180

>We like
>we hate
Have you ever considered that people besides the /sug/ hivemind have opinions on the show?

>Sup Forums hates comfy SU
Nigga what are you on. People are constantly bitching about how they miss 'muh comfy s1.' Don't confuse comfy with the boring townie shit.

Why do people absolve Sugar of the fault for the quality of her show? She doesn't have much under her belt to prove she's capable of more than what we're getting.

They didn't have the expectation of endless seasons so they tried to make the 1 season they thought they had an enjoyable as possible. Everything past S1A is them trying to build up shit for a conclusion that will never be worth the 4 or so years we've had to wait for it. Combined with general degradation in quality of writing/writers is a perfect storm of absolute zombie trash.

>Why do people absolve Sugar of the fault for the quality of her show?
Basically this When she's directly involved with an episode it usually turns out good. Take this scene from We Need to Talk for example, which she boarded: youtube.com/watch?v=8tjWZ_8D67s
Her style is fluid and expressive, and the emotional beats she puts in are executed very well. She also did some good work on adventure time. She has proven talent as an animator and a storyboarder. The quality of SU is ultimately her responsibility though, being the showrunner and all.

>She doesn't have much under her belt to prove she's capable of more than what we're getting
The first season of SU was decent. If only the rest of the show had the same level of focus and direction.

>too many episodes like jake's tail and jake the brick that are trying too hard to be classy emmy bait to be good
There were some stuff that tried way too hard to be deep but that didn't feel like Emmy bait to me, just the writers telling a story only they gave a shit about at the expense of entertainment value. When I think Emmy bait I think of stuff like the Ice King Marceline story or half the shit SU does where it's focused on making you feel emotions and shit.

Even then with AT I feel like at least 4/5 episodes are still regular ones of the characters hanging out or going on a quest and shit.

Personal favorite clips of the show.

youtube.com/watch?v=H98Q9VU6IEM
youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2NUzgMvz8
youtube.com/watch?v=Zu1WNNPvrkY

Sugar wrote/storyboarded:
>4 eps in 1A
>5 eps in 1B
>2 eps in season 2
>1 ep in season 3
>1 ep in season 4
>none so far in 5

make of that what you will

A river derci

Sup Forums used to tolerate and even enjoy SU, don't you forget it!

we need at least a video per season, damn it!

You bastard.

What is so good about that video?
Not saying she hasn't done good stuff, Cat Fingers is the greatest episode of this show, but why is that specific clip good?
>The first season of SU was decent. If only the rest of the show had the same level of focus and direction
Yeah but that's not much out of a 5 season show.
Even her episodes on AT were hit or miss. There's eps like chamber of frozen blades which were amazing then episodes like gotcha, jake thendog, or simon and marcy that ended up lackluster and forgettable.

She's never been consistently good and she has a few eps of AT and half a season SU to show for it. She's far from proven anything other than being capable of failure amd success. And while it's a bit unfair, compare this to someone like Craig McCracken who has 3 amazing shows with relatively few bad episodes under his belt, because there is a large trend towards quality it's easy to believe misssteps are flukes, exceptions, other outside factors, or just not his best work because the alternative is believing everything else he did was an accident. With Sugar, who has created spotty work with a tilt towards mediocre, it's easy to believe the good work she's done has been essentially by accident, that is something too good to be illustrative of her actual skill considering the rest of her work.

At this point the only thing anyone cares about is potential for a new alien girl to spank it to showing up.

>but why is that specific clip good?
The dialogue, pacing, and facial expressions create a lot of emotional tension. You can really feel Greg's hurt, frustration and struggle to communicate his feelings to Rose in his face and words. It also reveals Rose's flaws, with her regarding humans as essentially amusing playthings, laughing off Greg's sincere efforts to communicate, and the strange dynamic between the two characters. It also presents the message about the need for communication in relationships very well. It's just a well-executed, heartfelt scene. Sugar has a great feel for those kind of moments, and making them feel very genuine.

>gotcha, jake thendog, or simon and marcy that ended up lackluster and forgettable.
> Cat Fingers is the greatest episode of this show
Alright, we clearly have very different tastes, because I enjoyed all of those AT episodes, and while I liked Cat Fingers, it's far from the best. It seems to me you prefer more 'cartoony' cartoons. And that's fine, but there's no sense comparing everything to that standard.

>Craig McCracken who has 3 amazing shows
I didn't like Foster's Home. I haven't seen WoY. I'll give you PPG.

> it's easy to believe the good work she's done has been essentially by accident
Come on man, you're selling her really short with that. You don't just accidentally shit out great work. Call her inconsistent or a bad showrunner if you want, but it's no accident that she's gotten to where she is today.

>half a season SU
1B > 1A

Cue Roundabout and TO BE CONTINUED.
>youtu.be/G65pvuTFR_A

So, when are they gonna air new episodes. 6 months?

honestly the worst aspect of this show is the fucking airing schedule

i reckon it is the main reason why it has decreased inmensely in popularity, off-model art and questionable writing aside

>tfw the original Steven is long dead

youtube.com/watch?v=RnlU641cL-s

I accidentally shit myself, Steven and Steven and Satan and Garnet AND STEVEN.

Arrive derci? Sounds like Aerlevsedi

Steven is, fittingly, about Captain America level; despite having the size and build of an eight-year-old child who does not engage in regular exercise, he can lift heavy speakers with no more effort than a normal person lifting cardboard boxes, and rip open sheet metal with his bare hands. He has enhanced damage resistence, as shown when he was struck in the face by a brick-sized rock flying through the air and only sustained a minor cut (he wasn't even knocked unconscious).

I doubt he could beat Cap, simply due to experience, but in terms of raw strength they're about equal. He could logically defeat any ordinary human who has no, or only light combat training.

>Look me in the eye and tell me Steven could not take Hydro-Man

He couldn't. Hydro-Man is pretty damn OP.
He's actually one of the people who could kill easily kill Wolverine.

Rebecca decided to milk the show like crazy and turned it into SOL with plot driven episodes randomly thrown in. Fans lost interest and they lost their numbers to it barely airs, interests wavers more, it's aired less, rinse and repeat

great hair you have there pal.

i wish i had that webm on this computer.

I think Ian Jones and Sugar made a strong writing duo early on that the show lost when Ian left for OK KO. Now its a mess with no urgency or consistency and Sugar is less involved.

Youtube disabled the comments on the last video lol

Based hair poster

But what about healing spit, bubbles, animating organic life, ability to float, and resurrection tears?

I'd say that puts him ahead.

April based on Hulu being fucktarded with there ads.

series that peaked at season 1?

Honestly I think it's become too plot heavy. In the earlier episodes you were free to guess about shit. I assumed that the Crystal Gems were an order of magical guardians that protected the universe, kind of like Jedi, and they had some sort of schism. I like that there's a continuous story now instead of just being SoL, but I don't like the story itself, the "deepest lore" shit that they keep hyping up which never lives up to expectations. I also don't like that they essentially removed the magical side of shit entirely, how the antagonists are an evil sci-fi empire and everything has to be accomplished with spaceships and such.

Steven kun bites za dust

Fucking christ, when did they start doing this? You might not even be able to add shit to playlists anymore?

The other staff had more control in the beginning. It doesn't make sense to say the staff took over after several of them quit, the show now is the one she Invisioned

Wow, Part 5 looks amazing

It takes time for him to do that right? I'd say cap's experience still wins out

I liked the idea of the CGs being the last of a dying race than what we have now.

youtube.com/watch?v=A2MzCBB11PU

youtube.com/watch?v=ITkj9B_NWKE

Is there a up to date mega?

I kissed myself